Positive Reviews of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

Find out more about Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Zimmies's avatar
    Zimmies

For PC PM, the answer to why some like and why some do not may boil down to the version or more precisely, the manufacturer. When it was made in France or in the USA by Jaqueline Cochrane, it smelled as it should, wonderful, loud and old school. It was later made by Shulton, Aladdin and 2 others where it changed for the worse. My suggestion would be to find a bottle from France or by Jaqueline Cochrane and see if you like it better. This is one of the best of the 60's. 70's and 80's along with Eau Savage, Aramis, Azzaro, Polo, Aramis 900, Pour Monsieur, Jazz, Pour un Homme, Giorgio, Versace L'Homme, Gucci Homme, Braggi, Cool Water, Habit Rouge, Ungaro l, and a few others!

21st January, 2014

cologne65's avatar
    cologne65

pierre cardin is the best and longest lasting strength drugstore cologne out there. a classic scent that lasts for hours and I do mean hours. I even felt high from the vapors from wearing it. cardin a classic designer who scored big with this one. surprised it is only sold in drugstores and not department stores today. very sexy classy cologne.

06 January, 2014

MrMookie's avatar
    MrMookie

Back to the funk

Back to the FUNK! Pour Monsieur is a captivation of moments in the 70's where black 'n white danced
    together in discoteques and rollerskates where hip.
    Every notes makes a statement to this absolute 70's vibe fragrance.
    Too bad i never had the chance to sniff the vintage version i have the latest version (5star)

Notes : No Musk? - The top is thin with citrus n benzoin and taken over by a hint of vanilla and a shot of Amber-tonka and leather grooving and twirling on your upper chest giving this scent a powdery and balmy spice intermezzo.
    Far away I even smell a little bit Habit Rouge but in whiffs.
    This EDC is a real EDC in sillage and projection almost too bad it never came out in a more concentrated version.
    This bottle is ugly and perfect at the same time as it gives it a modern retro 70 feeling. (remember the 70's modern interiors with white furniture and orange,red,brown and purple wallpapers and big metallic floorlights??)

The bottle is soooo big you almost embarres yourself if you bring it on a holidaytrip with friends putting it on the bathroom shelve...

On the other side you have to spray more then 16 to get a decent sillage and longevity ...

Big OK for me! If I have a 70's Disco party this will be a worthy companion

Pros: price
    Cons: 16 sprays for any sillage"

23 August, 2013

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

When smelling PCpm, other fragrances such as Tiffany for Men and Chanel PM come to mind, which is not to say it's the same level of greatness of those, but it's approaching it. Somebody here attended the Jacques Polge school of perfumery when they came up with this. Was it Pierre himself? Ah, the mind lingers...Certainly, it's a citrus mossy vanilla oriental that smells better than it should. The phallic-shaped bottle is a kick too. Pierre's empire may lie in ruins but this fragrance still shines.

06 September, 2012

k8pierro's avatar
    k8pierro

My father had this in the 1970's, and I used to pinch some from him to wear out when I got "dressed up." I am female, and in 1970, the unisex fragrance concept hadn't quite gone mainstream, but I loved the deep mossy spice I got off of this--in fact, I always smelled clove, although it is not listed in the notes. I mean, when you start off loving Nuit de Noel in your childhood, where can you go from there for over-the-top fragrance glam...except here? (I guess Opium, Poison, or Obsession, but they always smelled too sweet to me). This, like Aramis (another of Dad's faves I "borrowed"), is Chypre on Steroids. This would probably choke me today, especially in the amounts I used to apply, but I did love it at the time, and I loved it on Dad, too.

20th August, 2012

lovingthealien's avatar
    lovingthealien

I didn't know what to expect from the reviews, but found an unopened vintage bottle of this for 5 dollars. There wasn't much in the top that thrilled me, but as soon as it hit the dry-down, I realized immediately that I had smelled this before. It smells very much like the beloved Tabu for women. Indeed, past the opening, the scents are nearly identical in composition. The bouquet is of different flowers, but to the same effect. Out of the two, I definitely prefer Tabu, but this isn't a bad one, either.

06 November, 2011

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

This is a largely classical composition, operating within fairly narrow creative parameters. The muted citrus opening is a sepia tinged antique, and it creates an air of impending dandyism. However, the general lack of potency ensures that this budding cavalier keeps his epee firmly sheathed. As it develops, it warms considerably, and the drydown is a hugely entertaining episode of soft powdery leather, and inferred sweetness.

Pour Monsieur may be as unobtrusive as wearing a white shirt, but it also creates the same clean lines and is a modest backdrop for more ostentatious accessories. The latter stages are faintly reminiscent of a diminishing application of the original Gucci Pour Homme. It is by no means a doppelgänger, but it's still worthy of a pointed finger, and a furtive second glance.

06 September, 2011

Francop's avatar
    Francop
    Spain Spain

Another unexpected great scent that I have found after reading reviews on here...

Thanks very much to all the basenoters that have contributed to my discovery...!!!

This scent is perfect for everyday use whether at work or at play, day or night; it contains all the ingredients required to make you feel masculine, fresh, confident and ready to face the day...anyday...

The top notes are superb and uplifting, the heart notes carry you away for the following 2 hours and the base notes keep you comfortably wrapped up for the following 4 hours...wish the scent had greater staying power, but for the price...it is better that you re-apply as required...

I find similarities with Great Jones by Bond no 9 in that both scents are citrusy, green, masculine and very classy...

I encorauge my fellow boys and girls in their 40`s to give this a try...

Big thumbs up...!!!

09 January, 2011

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

Welcome to the 70's! A sexy, macho blend of citrus, herbs, and spices. Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is a very distinctive, recognizable scent - if you have smelled Jovan Sex Appeal before, it is very similar. Of course, Pierre Cardin came first, and the Jovan is a bit spicier. For an Eau de Cologne, this lasts a while on me - I get up to 6 hours. I don't believe this juice is offensive at all, and not necessarily dated, but it certainly smells like it came from a different era! Awesome bottle, as well! Definitely great for the price.

23 December, 2010

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Pierre Cardin is from the same neighborhood as Jovan Sex Appeal, Kanon and Lagerfeld Classic. It shares the spicy herbal opening of Sex Appeal, the sweetness of Lagerfeld (although to a lesser degree) and the powdery dry down of Kanon. This is a breed of men's fragrance that has all but vanished in contemporary perfumery, and one that is lamented by lovers of the old school.

PC starts with a sharp blast of lemon and patchouli that settles into a pleasantly soft, masculine scent that is tenacious without overpowering. I get 8-plus hours of solid longevity (I can still clearly smell it; sillage is very good as well). Although Pierre Cardin is quite affordable, it doesn't smell as cheap as, say, Brut. All in all a solid member of the fraternity.

30th August, 2010

Joeinmoscow's avatar
    Joeinmoscow

Never smelled one like it. LOVE IT. I never buy scents "cold" in the shop, either from testing on my skin or on paper strips. I hate the whole hurried false process under the waiting eye of a usually quite dim sales girl and the fug is so bad in there anyway it's hard to tell one thing from another.
    I smell a scent which i like, on someone else. I think 'wow, what IS that?' and I ask them what it is and then try to find it. Most modern male scents leave me cold. This one has class and is seductive and animalic. It was worn by an attractive Greek man who later ran off with my girlfriend. I forgive her because I was on the verge of running off with him myself. Pierre Cardin is hard to resist. It's very 70-s, but then I'm a fan of retro if it means classic timelss quality and not just "new for the sake of it" or some tacky Bekham endorsed product. Pierre Cardin WAS associated with quality before he went overboard with his branding and I think this scent is worthy of his better days. I was always a little embarrassed by the phallic bottle, but it is appropriate, this is not a neutral scent, I had many compliments from women when I wore it. Some scents are almost TOO seductive, you start being followed and sniffed by seedy old men (and women, and even stray dogs)....there is a price to pay , you can't have your cake AND eat it! ;-) the defining fragrance of my youth. What a drydown! Merci Pierre pour ce merveilleux parfum.

15 June, 2010

kartikeya's avatar
    kartikeya

1.perfect for my taste.
    2. easy on wallet.
    3. stays long.
    4. best dry down from all the colognes i have.
    5. fiancee loves it.
    what more do you want????????????

11th February, 2010

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

A few months back, I wrote a review of Cuba Red, saying that it was the best fragrance bargain I’d ever encountered. I was wrong – Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur beats it hands down. I just bought a giant 8 ounce bottle for $17.

This defines what a timeless classic scent is, and it is in the same league and of the same caliber as Moustache, Eau Sauvage, Monsieur de Givenchy, Chanel Pour Monsieur and Equipage, even though it’s at a mere fraction of the cost. Pierre Cardin can stand up to any of the greats, because it is one of the greats. It is a light, citrusy oriental that is slightly powdery and animalic, and it has a beautiful vanillic drydown that is very similar to the drydown in Creed’s Bois du Portugal, but more subtle.

The animalic note in Pierre Cardin PM has to be one of the most impressive olfactory illusions ever created, because I could swear there’s civet in this. I often feel that civet just overpowers citrus and lavender accords, making a fragrance smell more like a toilet than an eau de toilette (see Ungaro II). But in this fragrance, the imitation civet note is subtle and it blends beautifully with the citrus and lavender.

I’ve heard that this is a reformulation, but that it remains true to the original. This is very impressive because looking at the back of the box it looks like the Pierre Cardin license was bought out by some el-cheapo firm in New York. It’s amazing that not only has this company managed to sell this at such a reasonable price, but to make it still smell so great. This is no el-cheapo smelling fragrance, I can assure you.

My gut inclination is to call this a “poor man’s Chanel Pour Monsieur”, but that would trivialize this stunning scent. This current version of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is truly one of the greats.

15 December, 2009

Descartes's avatar
    Descartes
    Netherlands Netherlands

A clone version of Chanel Pour Monsieur and Dior’s eau de Sauvage. I like the unusual bottle design.

14 November, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

I dare say PIERRE CARDIN POUR MONSIEUR opens much better than the similarly styled original Gucci Pour Homme from 1976, with a sharp citrus top made greener by basil, and a hint of sweet lavender to add an intriguing facet of contrast. Towards the middle I get a powdery leather-sandalwood blend, with geranium and vanilla coming to the fore, and it continues pleasantly in the same affable manner to an ambery leather drydown which resembles that of - wait for it - Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur! What can I say? I'm sold. The price may be cheap but the scent is anything but. To budding perfumistos and cologneuseurs, I feel this 1972 release rates a 'must-try' at least. But you'd better hurry 'cuz I'm about to stockpile.

13 November, 2009

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

Rounded citrus top notes leading to a soft, powdery drydown ( the ambery-sweet base notes somewhat remind me of Shalimar - go figure ). Unexpectedly nice for a masculine on the cheap side. The longevity is disappointingly poor, however.

11th September, 2009

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

Another Old Spice? Not quite. It's spicy, with what I assumed to be clove or nutmeg, but minus a lot of the sweetness of Old Spice or many designer brands. It's like I've taken whole spices with a little orange peel and vanilla and smashed them onto myself without sweetening them much, so that I could detect their dry bitterness underneath. It seems to me like all the notes are right there at the surface, but that doesn't make it shallow to me, just easy to appreciate. After trying many others, this old juice remains very close to what my ideal cologne would smell like, and it goes to show that you only need so much sweetness to make an excellent concoction. It's colored more darkly than it needs to be, so it leaves yellowness behind on cloth, and forgive me, but the bottle looks like something that a single lady would buy batteries for on a lonely night! I'm sure she's reminiscing about a man she once knew who wore Pierre Cardin and smelled dashing.

11th July, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar
    PigeonMurderer
    Finland Finland

Its not bad. It doesn’t have any irritating accords like I have found in many other scents of this kind and time. Smooth and classy oriental scent, quite unique and easily recognizable.

Has kept time well.

Here in Finland this is still popular, and people associate it with older/mature me just like they do with Fahrenheit and Lagerfeld Classic, for instance.
    Kind of shame.

03 February, 2009

fudull's avatar
    fudull
    Albania Albania

Underrated.

I am quickly becoming a fan of 70s scents. I love Lagerfeld's deep leathery muskness and now I have discovered the lemony sweetness of Pierre Cardin PM. The 80s introduces the harsh masculine openings, but in the 70s the theme was more sensual, and Pierre Cardin embodies the seductive sweet aroma of I consider a more playful and relaxed decade, sadly I was not around then, but a sniff of this potion seems a good consolation.

The sugary lemon, probably due to the influences from the vanilla and tonka from the base, is my most lasting impression, but the middle is masterfully presented too, I can pick up a soft geranium and even the earthy patchouli seems toned down for the sake of harmony. The base is lovely and has great longevity. Next to vetiver, the vanilla-tonka-leather combo is my favorite drydown, so I love the endnotes of this classic.

For the price, this is a must have, and I hardly consider this outdated, there are many modern fragrances (Chic and Trussardi Inside) that try to combine similar themes, but in my opinion Pierre Cardin created a lasting masterpiece in '72.

18 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2008)

ortho123's avatar
    ortho123

This is one I would wear if I were in my 20's again with a total disregard for current fashion dictates. One shot!

28 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2011)

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

A classic strong 70/80's powerhouse style fragrance. Fresh, spicy and mossy. Great!

23 June, 2008

HDS1963's avatar
    HDS1963

I used to wear this all through the 80s and haven't bought it since, which surprises me because I used to love it and yes, ladies loved it too. I might have to reinvest in some...

03 April, 2008

Dimitrios's avatar
    Dimitrios

A true classic thats worth 3x the price we are paying for it now ***** FIVE STARS ALL THE WAY *****

13 November, 2007

colormechris's avatar
    colormechris

It's a Friday night in 1980. Your best friend calls you and asks you if you want to go to the roller rink and hang out. Cool, you say. What time will you and your Mom pick me up? (Hey, it's a five mile walk...) As you look into your closet trying to decide what to wear, you start thinking of that girl who hangs out a the roller rink and is always checking you out. Maybe she'll be there tonight. You take extra care in picking out your clothes: a skin tight pair of Jordache jeans, a plaid Daniel Hechter sports shirt and your prized gold serpentine chain. As you're putting it on, your eyes fall on the little bottle of Pierre Cardin cologne that you swiped from Woolworth's at the mall. You pick it up and unscrew the chrome top and sniff of it. The aroma is heady. It's kind of lemony and kind of spicy and rich. Nothing like that stuff your Dad has under his bathroom cabinet. That smells like the barber shop. This smells classy, even though it's sort of cheap and you could've paid for it; but after you smelled it in the store something excited you and stealing it only added to the excitement.
    You hear the car horn and run downstairs and throw on your red bomber jacket and get in the car. Your friends mother tells you how nice you smell. You blush. Your friend says something about hockey practice. When his Mom drops you off she tells you to keep warm because it's late October and it really is starting to get cold. You go into the rink and it's the usual. Round and round in circles to songs like "I'm Turning Japanese" and "Heart of Glass".
    That girl you were thinking about isn't there. There are other girls, equally as interested...but your heart was set on her. Finally, after the hundredth circuit, your friend gets bored and whispers to ask if you want to go behind the building and smoke a joint. Why not?
    When you get out there, it's almost too cold to smoke, but you can clearly smell your cologne, almost as strong as when you put it on and somehow even better smelling in the cold air. Your best friend lights the joint and suggests that he shot-gun it to you. You nod. He inhales and you both move in until your faces are almost touching... The next thing you know his lips are on yours. You're full on making out. Your best friend is telling you how awesome you smell and it's like the world has turned upside down in three seconds. Is it your Pierre Cardin? Maybe not...but so much for that girl.

14 October, 2007

fox_mulder's avatar
    fox_mulder

One of the best value fragrances money can buy. Completely refined.

01st June, 2007

Aleah77's avatar
    Aleah77

I know this is a cheap cologne, but I've always loved it and think it's very sexy. My husband refuses to wear anything that isn't over $50 a bottle (much to my dismay. Don't be afraid to try it guys - women will follow you around if you do.

22 March, 2007

flashpoint321's avatar
    flashpoint321

This reminds me of college. The first people I knew to use this cologne were some gay aquaintances of mine, so because of my homophobia, I avoided this "gay" scent, even though I liked it. When I finally "came out" years later, I bought some. It's a strong, unique fragrance, not for everyday use.

11th March, 2007

Cinnamom's avatar
    Cinnamom

I first encountered this in New Orleans in the early '70's & bought a bottle for my enamorata of the moment. It worked perfectly with his chemistry. I remember thinking there was a strong clove component and that it had a very astringent element . . . almost medicinal at first, very clean bordering on dentist office. Then the metamorphosis into that spicey, warm umph. Ah, youth, ah, yes.

09 March, 2007

Oviatt's avatar
    Oviatt

Even though this has slipped down to become a drugstore fragrance, this is classic, well made men's scent that deserves some respect.

01st February, 2007

d_silent_one's avatar
    d_silent_one

Wonderful wonderful fragrance. I love to smell this very nice, refined man's classic.

05 August, 2006