Reviews of Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

It’s blue, it says “sport” on the bottle, and, surprise, it’s a “fresh,” fruity-aquatic fougère. What were you expecting – Knize Ten? Heaven knows the world needs more fragrances like this – but only if we find a way to make their fumes fuel an automobile or a city bus.

Attempting pineapple in lieu of the usual apple, Polo Sport is on the tart side as its ilk goes, which might make the industrial chemical aquatic accord more tolerable than elsewhere. But only by degree. In my book Polo Sport is no more or less superfluous than any other blue fragrance for men, and guys who want something of this sort will get what they expect from it. I only wonder why they would want it?

23 June, 2014 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2014)

OCNBreeze7's avatar

The Original Polo Sport... A great fragrance that we will miss...

One of the classic fragrance designers, Ralph Lauren, has produced a number of scents we have grown to love. It is too bad that some of these fragrances have run their course and "put out to pasture" - so to speak. Polo Sport is one of these fragrances that became a classic, but with time, has become increasingly hard to find. Perhaps it, too, has been discontinued. I recently purchased this fragrance online and could hardly await arrival of the scent that became popular in the mid-90s - as a mid-40s guy (and still roguishly handsome) - I remember this time period fondly...

Out of the bottle Polo Sport presents a complexity of notes, but settles into simplicity of citrus, fruity, and "woodsy" notes. A classic scent that is breathes clean, fresh, and distinguished. Well done, Mr. Lauren..!! While the longevity and projection/sillage of this new bottle is average, it seems that bottles produced in the late 90s or early 00s, the fragrance lasted longer with greater sillage. There have been comparisons to younger siblings, "Red, White, and Blue" and "Polo Blue Sport" - I am not sure I get those same notes. Each are great fragrances, but very much different than this blend.

Polo Sport has plenty of "Wow Factor" (compliments from the opposite sex) potential. The first day I wore this, I did not receive any compliments, but due to it's fresh and clean wake, the potential is there. One of the beauties about Polo Sport is the versatility or flexibility - perhaps tailored more for Spring and Summer, I feel confident the fragrance can be worn any time of year and for any occasion. It also can be a favorite for all ages - those of us who grew up with Polo Sport and the younger audience who want to feel clean and fresh.

The bottle is an exceptional and classic design - typical Ralph Lauren.. As mentioned, I purchased this online. That said, the packaging is average at best. I, generally, am not a "conspiracy theory" type of guy, but I have pondered the thought of authenticity of this purchase. (I will add the purchase was through a very reputable source..) Regardless, the packaging is average or modest.

Speaking of the purchase, Polo Sport can still be found moderately priced. My final tally of Polo Sport is 4.3 stars out of 5. Yes, there may be better fragrances out there - even I have those that rank higher - but Polo Sport is truly a classic fragrance that I enjoy. I highly recommend adding to your collection - or for us 40+ more distinguished gentlemen (and I use that term 'loosely'..), replenishing our cologne cabinet with a new bottle of Polo Sport.

The Daily I.M. - The best thing in the world, is the world itself (from one of my favorite movies). Make your life count...

10th April, 2014

dallasfan's avatar

It's a good clean scent, smells like a good shower, good office/school scent

I have a few samples, i won't by the bottle though, because there are other similar scents out there, and because it's polo it's too expensive for something thats only decent. If i saw a bottle in the store for like $20-$25 I might think about it if i have the extra money. If you can find it for cheap, and you're relatively new with fragrances i'd reccomend it, but otherwise i wouldn't, it's nice but not worth $40

Pros: Smells nice and it's light
    Cons: Doesn't project too well and doesn't very long"

17 August, 2013

emad91's avatar

A Good Cologne For Daily Use.

I bought it last night...i just love the fragrance. Those sweet woody citrus notes. Its good for daily rough use and for winters i would say as colognes lasts a lil longer in winters. One can use it in summers too but just for a rough daily use. It fades very quickly.

Pros: Smells lovely.
    Cons: Projection and Sillage not as expected."

13 August, 2013

del's avatar

Light, Pleasant, Fresh and Clean Aquatic

I'm typing this review based on my nice memories of Polo Sport: it was the bomb during my college years, and everyone seemed to love it back then, as it smelled fresh, clean, and a little fruity-sweet.

The initial alcohol-y blast projects widely, like the fume is morphing to a hand gently guiding your nose to the wearer. I still remember how it used to turn heads minutes after application. Polo Sport quickly becomes a pleasant aquatic after that.

Polo Sport isn’t a bad fragrance, but it is light, so it lacks lasting power. If you really like the scent, make sure to carry a splash mini-bottle and reapply as needed like I did back in college.

Pros: Pleasant and a head-turner
    Cons: Fades quickly

21st May, 2013

sjg3839's avatar

Great scent I use to wear years ago. Aquatic fresh with a touch of citrus. I would actually still purchase a bottle of this today.

03 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

The infamous range of the aquatics is not  my favourite genre of fragrances although i don't abhor those aprioristically just for their provenance and placing.  I have to admit that some woodsy-aquatics or aromatic-ozonic fougere and oceanic kind of watery fragrances surprised me a lot and i don't dislike for sure fragrances as Kenzo Pour Homme, Bvlgari Aqua, Sel de Vetiver The Different Company, Aqua Quorum Puig, the wonderful Horizon Laroche or New West For Him by Aramis. I use to appreciate that rare sense of silvan, aromatic (mint, artemisia, verbena, thyme etc), exotic, airy, naturally and deeply oceanic  freshness in the world of scents and many (aquatics or not) manage to satisfy this feel for sure. I use on the contrary to fully dislike the chemics and the metal, i mean the excessively detergent-fruity-floral ozonic scents (like L'Eau D'Issey which anyway has its qualities), the  soapy-chemical-detergent like shower foams (Blu Pour Homme , Heaven Chopard), the metallic (Echo Davidoff, Chrome Azzaro, Chrome Legend, DKNY Men, Acqua di Gio' Pour Homme etc), the sparkling-energizing sporty kind of aquatics (Allure Sport Chanel, Byblos Uomo, Burberry Sport Men, etc., etc., etc.). Polo Sport (i swear i'm not misleaded just by the name) takes unfortunately part of this family (with its uncompromisingly aquatic,watermelon kind, orangy accord of seaweeds, citrus, pineapple and musk) together with dozens of Byblos, Boss, Armani, Miyake, Dolce &Gabbana, Bvlgari and going on till the end of the world, out there. Slightly better Cool Water Davidoff with  its less chemical feel, its better equipped balance and its touch of aromatic woodsy feel. The note of ginger (Bvlgari Blue, Byblos Uomo etc.) uses to imprint  that sort of cool and detergent spark that makes me thinking to a shower gel and not to a real well structured fragrance, so Polo Sport does and the final "sporty-deodorant-detergent" feel surpasses sense of elegance and virile sharp sophistication. Good shower and after shower with Polo Sport my friends.

30th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2013)

DutchSchwag's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Harry Fremont's resume certainly needs no introduction; the man who a year later dropped CK One on the masses, was already well ahead of the curve on the aquatic revolution when he came up with Polo Sport. Polo Sport is thick with seaweed throughout, with a nice touch of citrus in the opening before completely giving way to the dominant seaweed note for the rest of the dry-down.
    Certainly shocks and disorients the uninitiated because it is so different from the standard fragrance. The opening is very think with seaweed and cloying citrus, but after a few moments the ginger creeps into the seaweed and creates a spicier, less projecting dry-down that uses many of the standard Polo elements and notes, which don't seem to be able to assert themselves over the heavy dose of seaweed.
    Works well with natural skin chemistry, producing a natural, warm and organic scent that wears close to the skin and manages to mask most body odors during physical activity. Given the "sport" monicker for that reason, but really this is more of a beach fragrance that resonates strongly with those who have spent an early, misty morning on a Northern Californian or Southern Oregonian pacific shore. This is one of the best souvenirs one can pick up to bring back images of the colder beaches of the northern California coast, wealthy in sea-life and seaweed along its banks.
    Projection and silage are fairly average, with longevity a bit of an issue, usually under 4-5 hours and wearing very close to the skin. Still, if you can appreciate more organic scents like seaweed, this is an incredibly original and unique extension of using organic notes.
    Polo Sport is very unique for its time, most likely more than a little inspired by the success of Nautica the year before and the influx of newer, trendier Polo inspired fashion houses taking a large portion of the 20 something crowd. The packaging itself reflects a time when the Ralph Lauren name was more vulnerable and less self-assured, trying to modernize with a new logo to go with its new jeans line, in an attempt to break from its illustrious past and more emphatically, the Baby Boomer generation. Polo Sport was Ralph Lauren's deliberate attempt to capture Generation X.
    Not refined for formal wear, but a fantastic, casual alternative to the plethora of synthetics on the market, Sport is original, organic and oceanic, like driving along Pacific 1 Highway with the top down on a September morning. A best seller largely because of the Polo name, but the Polo name does still stand for quality fabrics, oils and materials and not taking shortcuts in China.

The Pacific Ocean in a bottle.

Overall 4/5 (Quality 3.5/Originality 4.75/Projection 2.5/Longevity 2.5/Value 3.0/Scent 4.0)

17 November, 2011

drseid's avatar

A very disappointing generic smelling scent from Polo. It was as if RL tries to please everyone and instead pleases none fully. I don't get any originality here at all, and if this fragrance-by-poll scent is going to smell similar to every other "sport" scent, why bother? Pass on this one. 2 stars out of 5.

21st August, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2012)

MOONB's avatar

Calone and cucumber notes . . . what's not to hate? Polo Sport is a fragrance I reviewed a while ago here on basenotes, but my words somehow got lost. Let me restate them: this fragrance is mediocre from start to finish, and it's not because it's a fruity aquatic fresh fougere. I can forgive the hundreds of entries in that genre if they each offer something distinctive to it. But that's a fantastic standard. Simply put, Polo Sport offers nothing. The tangerine and accompanying citruses are a chemical byproduct of whatever form of calone was used, a fact that becomes painfully obvious the longer you wear Polo. They never really fade, but just hang in there til the end. Then there's the middle, which is quite "cool" feeling. Like cucumbers on your eyes, this phase braces your nose, and is perhaps the only thing about the fragrance that feels good to me. Rapidly the coolness sullies into a faded version of itself, detached and marred by some pointlessly-integrated oakmoss and a vague suggestion of green herbs. Yes, Polo Sport is clearly an agent of freshness with plenty of practical utility in the gym locker room. Beyond that, it doesn't register as a serious fragrance, and is to be avoided. Unless, of course, you wish to remain inconspicuous, in which case I would say Polo Sport is your Holy Grail.

30th April, 2011

colormechris's avatar

Well, Polo Sport has a soft spot in my heart because I worked at the Polo store on Rodeo Drive when it first came out. That was an experience, and the smell of PSport brings it all back. Ralph himself even came in once with his wife and they just kind of stood around watching. Or were they sniffing? Cool Water had come out in 1988 but was just reaching the height of its popularity. Mr. Lauren, no dummy, knew a good thing when he smelled it. Thus Polo Sport was born. Let's not use the phrase "rip off". Ralph would never do that! But to say Polo Sport wasn't a direct descendent of Cool Water wouldn't be true either.
    The place was infused with the stuff. It was at every register. Perhaps I associate the cologne with clothing so the next logical step is laundry detergent. And it still smells that way to me. Like a big bottle of ALL or FAB or something. That's not neccessarily bad; but scented laundry detergent isn't exactly the height of olfactory finesse. And Polo Sport has about as much finesse as a box of Tide. But still...It has a certain fun, uplifting appeal to it, much like Clinique Happy. The fruit here, however, is not the ever dependable orange, but pineapple. Mixed with a ton of apparent aldehydes, the entire effect is sort of a CGI of Waikiki Beach. A "seaweed" note is said to be in each phase of the perfume, but nothing in there smells like seaweed to me. Seaweed is salty and earthy smelling. Polo Sport is sweet from start to finish.
    To sum, it's a great no-brainer for hot weather and hanging out at the beach, the lake, the pool...but go easy. It can annoy worse than a bratty teen-ager, and has about as much depth. But it can make you smile too.

30th January, 2011

Chuck18293's avatar

I remember this fragrance back in the day when it was my signature sent
    It's fresh and clean and smells like body wash, like a nice and clean shower
    and it's a little bit floral too
    On my skin this last about 8-10 hours wich is great
    But i Wouldn't buy it again beacause I wore it a lot of time maybe just a 75 ml
    But It's a very good fragance i think!
    And a Machine of Compliments the girls love it!!!

11th August, 2010

urfliness's avatar

I don't get what all the flak is about.I agree there is nothing spectacular about this fragrance. However in my opinion there is nothing that smells worse than Dior Farenheit.give polo sport a break.Trust me there is worse out there.

12 April, 2010

jcastano's avatar

I never knew too much about Polo fragrances but when I saw this at Marshalls for $25 for a 4.2 oz bottle, I thought, why not get it, it's a good deal. I was expecting something to blow me out of this world since everyone I've ever known has put this on a pedestal but unfortunatley, that wasn't the case. At first, I thought it smelled odd? The seaweed note and citrus notes threw me off and there was something about it that smelled dirty, almost like salty, bitter sweat. I know, it sounds weird but I really got that vibe from it! I hated it at first but after wearing it a few more times after that, I must say it grew on me. I actually love the seaweed note in it now and the salty, bitter sweat vibe I used to get from it is no longer there.
    The aquatic feel to this fragrance is actually very well done and although very synthetic, the combination of citrus, florals, woods, and musk give it a type of character that truly captures the idea of a fresh water ocean, something that I've yet to smell with any other sport fragrance. It's semi-sweet yet green, but has this animalic aura to it but musk tends to do that, and the aldehydes give it a clean, very fresh touch that might even give of the impression of laundry detergent. This fragrance is excellent if you want something different from all the usual aquatic/sport colognes for men out there. I can't imagine why this wasn't so groundbreaking when it first arrived on the scene back in the early 90's. I just imagine myself running on a beach on a warm, sunny day, when all the sudden, a light breeze picks up and freshens the air while it wafts the smell of the deep blue sea all throughout . It's a scent that's great for spring/summer. Its sillage and longevity is fantastic, and uniqueness is a most definite A+! The one thing that this fragrance lacks is in its versatility, but not by much. I wouldn't recommend wearing this in a suit and tie or in any formal attire like one can with most other sport frags (Allure Sport, Dior Sport) because it lacks that "sophistication" factor, but if you're the casual type of guy in a t-shirt and jeans or shorts, this is perfect! Overall rating in my book, B+

08 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th May, 2011)

's avatar

I want to give this a thumbs up just for the classic top. Refreshing, fruity and ----sporty! For it's defence, a good frag is good, no matter what level of generic it is. At least better than those frags that go way out of line just to be 'niche' or 'different', I admire the risk and effort to produce those but sometimes, it's just better to be safe. I try the so called niches, but more often than not it's one note that wrecks the whole bunch.

But for the Polo, not a thumbs up because the drydown isn't perfect. Should use less seaweed!

23 March, 2010

robeverliving's avatar

This is alright cologne for someone who doesn't know anything about fragrances. You can do well with a blind purchase of this. Women do compliment it from time to time but it is very common. The most common cologne in existence. You'll want to upgrade very quickly to a better fragrance. In my opinion, this scent is an old-school fragrance that is a bit more dated now since many other competitors try making similar synthetic stuff.

12 February, 2010

aktp-iciook's avatar

Highly masculine in a fresh, aquatic and sporty sense.

Sea weed note in Polo Sport is so unique and really fascinating to me.

Cheers,

11th February, 2010

brrrry's avatar

I loved this back in the mid 90's. I revisited it this weekend, passing time in Ulta while my GF shopped, just for the hell of it. I really don't understand it at all. I guess it made sense when I was a 17-18 year old kid. But now at 32 I just don't get it. It didn't smell sporty to me at all. I just got a general "spice" smell out of it and it was terribly synthetic. Not to mention, extremely overbearing. The fact that there are so many other "sporty" frags out there makes Polo Sport expendable and IMO not worth sampling.

02 February, 2010

micci's avatar

Kenya Kenya

One of those fresh, safe frags...not very creative but I don't think it's too generic either as far as the 'aqua-blue' bit goes....There is something earthy about the dry down that sets it apart...
    It definitely tops it's league so go ahead and grab one for yourself.

27 January, 2010

D.Sprad's avatar

This one brings back memories of a trip to Virginia Beach a few years ago. The seaweed in this one must bring me back to that one.

I enjoy the memories, and the scent itself isn't too bad, really!

I'm never put off by the seaweed, and those I know (both male and female) haven't been either.

The opening, like DiamondFlame said, is a jolt many times, and the dry-down is pleasant and semi-sweet.

Don't be fooled by the "Sport" in Polo Sport. I know plenty of "Sport" and "Fresh" fragrances that really are just awful have been floating out there for a while, but this one is worth a try, really!

21st November, 2009

Jackisblack's avatar

Nasty. I like me some polo, but I don't like generic saline blasts.

30th September, 2009

smellofvictory's avatar

very unique fresh scent...similar to Cool Water yet very different. Liked this since I was in junior high.

20th September, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I grew up near the sea so I know the smell of seaweed; it is essentially briny but probably too subtle to have that much of an impact on a fragrance. In any case Ralph Lauren's website only mentions a 'sea breeze' accord which instantly made me think of Ferragamo's Subtil, just not POLO SPORT. For me, this scent opens with an effervescent, alcohol-fueled sucker punch which jolts you awake before settling down to a sweet somewhat boozy miasma of 'cucumber and melon', to my nose at least, without relying on cheat sheets. I know fresh aquatics get little love around here but this one gets mine; I finished 2 bottles of the juice! So if you're sick of yours, be a sport, send them my way. And remind me again why Cool Water finished second best in the early '90s.

18 September, 2009

MrFragranceReview's avatar

I was very apprehensive about buying this cologne because it smelled very mediocre at first but strangely had a unique note to it. I purchased it more for the fact that my girlfriend LOVES it.

It's a deep seaweed smell that tries to be fresh and slightly citrusy. No notes really stand out too much and I like that. The more I wear the more I appreciate it. It's a fantastic gym scent just don't over do it. If applied well this smell is gorgeous and well done. The problem is, it's a younger scent typically and young guys tend to over apply so there are many negative associations with this fragrance.

I can see why she likes it so much and I can see why so many women feel the same way. It's typically used as a gym scent and guys wearing very casual white t-shirts, shorts and working hard and getting sweaty. They associate that with this smell and they find it sexy.

01st September, 2009

shamu1's avatar

Polo Sport is the antithesis of the type of fragrance I would buy. I hate acquatic and sports fragrances. But I really like Polo Sport. What sets this fragrance apart from all the other dreck containing the words "Sport", "Blue", "Fresh" or "Energy" is what I assume is the "seaweed" note. If I'm correct, it gives the rather mainstream Cool Water-like accord a warm but salty and earthy tinge, and it smooths and rounds out the sharper edges of the accord much in the same way a musk or deep amber would. It is quite unusual and very interesting. Luckily, this seaweed note lasts into the drydown. Don't be a snob, ignore the word "sport" in the name and the blue bottle, and give Polo Sport a try. It's really very good.

23 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 August, 2009)

latkan's avatar

For some reason i had remembered this as a great smelling frag. So when i was able to find it in my local perfume sttore i did not hesistate to buy it, a BIG mistake that was. Not only that it was the 125ml bottle so i wasted the most amount of money possible on it!
    It is very synthetic and smells like (agreeing with machineo) dirty socks.
    Lasting power, well lets just say this is not a war of atrition otherwise it would be over v v quikly!

Waste of time and money completely disgusted now im left with a frag so rubbish to give to my friends [they'll think i playin a prank of some sort]. Sold under name only nothing else. What a waste!!!!!

10th June, 2009

Cougartown's avatar

Minty, bright, fresh, and very strong. Exactly what the tried to do, most likely. Old school, high schooler appropriate, but very good.

05 June, 2009

MFJ's avatar

I find Polo Sport to be very much in the same vein as Cool Water and Eternity, both of which, I thoroughly enjoy. There is a clean, minty-fresh vibe to Polo Sport that is rather uplifting and invigorating. I get a nice leafy aroma as well. Well popular in the 90s, and for good reasons. It does seemed designed to evoke the imagery of "fresh masculinity".

18 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 October, 2009)

Worth1969's avatar

Yuckk!!! Way too much alcohol and very synthetic smelling.
    Why Ralph Lauren would discontinue Monogram and launch this venom is beyond me. Seaweed extract?! Are you kidding me?!
    This smells like glorified cough syrup!
    I got this bottle from someone in the industry and it's one of the few fragrances that I hated so much I gave it away. Big disappointment from Ralph Lauren.

14 May, 2009

Scentaur's avatar

It really is suitable for sport or gym wear. The impact of this scent is better during the 90s. If you're feeling nostalgic, then go help yourself with this one. Old school but still kicking.

10th January, 2009