Positive Reviews of Quorum by Antonio Puig

Find out more about Quorum by Antonio Puig in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ConvertedByWetShaving's avatar

I had read in various locations on here about a sour, foul, almost turned note within this fragrance (described by some as colorfully as "cat pee"), and I got that too, in ways almost smelled like a fart at times - there's something in there that just ruined and made an otherwise fantastic fragrance unwearable. So I inquired on here within the Powerhouse group as to any alternatives to Quorum, any "clones" if you will, that were close but without that one ruining note in there.

One member suggested Krizia Uomo, which is wonderful! However at the same time I had arranged a swap with a highly reputable and wonderful fellow basenote member, thus acquiring a VINTAGE bottle of Quorum. The bottle I had originally purchased was current formulation. I have to say, being relatively new to this scene, this was my first clear lesson on how very different a reformulation can be. The vintage bottle of Quorum I received has a fragrance that I absolutely love, and is without that terrible, intolerable, ruining note in it that the newer bottle I have possesses.

So my thumbs up rating is for the vintage formulation, not the new one which I just couldn't wear. For anyone having similar experience with this fragrance, or considering purchasing this fragrance for the first time, I hope that having shared my experience in this review will be of help to you.

02nd November, 2014

tropicalstorm's avatar

A beautifully crafted sculpture by an artist who is passionate about his muse. A sapphire from the rarest of rare mines. An exquisite masterpiece. If I was a poet, I'd go on and on writing sonnets in praise of this beauty. Sadly I am not. But then there are those moments when you say to yourself... yes this is perfect.. a perfect song, a perfect landscape, a perfect story, a perfect moment. Every time I take a deep whiff of this powerhouse, I can't help but say to myself... yeah, now this is perfect!!

Hats off to the creators!

06th August, 2014

nwhite14's avatar

BOOM 1982! I love Quorum because it always changes. One day I smell fragments of Polo Green pine / frankincense and the next a huge face full of grapefruit / smokey moss. I am a big fan of the powerhouse frags and this beauty does the job every time. Also, at $12 you can pick up two bottles and use them as bookends around your Blade Runner Super Deluxe Blu-Ray set.

23rd July, 2014

Zenwannabee's avatar

Quorum is like a Dirty Martini. A fabulous cocktail, but not one perhaps to drink everyday, and one that's just a tad different each and every time. Some days I wear Quorum and I swear I'm wearing a less "dry" and less synthetic Polo Green. Other days, I smell to myself like I've just gotten off a long kitchen shift in an Asian restaurant. And other days I get both, with a big patchouli base. And yet mixed together, it still holds it all together and works for me. That, I think, is the genius of this fragrance. While it may not be as refined as some, it packs such a rich and fabulous masculine wallop that you can't help but grin and say, "just go with it." A great fougere in the classic sense. Thus, I raise my glass to Quorum.

19th April, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Rich, dense, raw opening in a perfectly classic fougère style. A textured blend of green balsamic notes on spices and citrus drips, with a rich and natural oak moss note on ambers and bold, resinous aromatic woods. The leather note emerges as minute pass: honest, shady, solid, slightly rubbery and dry. A great, manly, elegant, rich and self-conscious fougère – still not tacky or cloying. With just a hint of that gloomy, sweaty personality many powerhouses had in the 70s/80s (some more elegant and understated fougères like Tsar are like old, classic Mercedes cars; this is rather the fast & noisy Alfetta Spider). Highy wearable today as well. I own a vintage version and I have heard is has subsequently been reformulated on a more green/fresh tone – probably still good, I don't know.

17th April, 2014 (Last Edited: 18th April, 2014)

LoveCologne89's avatar

Quorum is a classic. A true must have for many fragrance collectors. One thing about this scent that makes it so nice is not the overwhelming grapefruit you get when first applied but rather the dry down stage on its own. After and hour Quorum has a amazing pine musk scent which will make you fall in love with this.

15th April, 2014

ClarkScent's avatar

There is a lot of talk about the age group who would use Quorum. To me it is a non issue as I cannot see anyone under 30 even trying this. That is a good thing. I really enjoy this fragrance. It makes me think of the things that matter in life…unlike clubbing and grades etc…

18th February, 2014

mjf2001's avatar

My uncle wore this back in the day. He was a gentleman. This is a gentleman's scent. Now that I'm in my 50's, I can wear this and not feel like a boy playing dress up. This is grown up stuff. Such a great value. A fall/winter go-to for me.

27th December, 2013

Furby76's avatar

England England

I bought this blind purely on the reviews on BN. I don't have a nose anywhere near as good as many on here, but this scent is superb. Real manly. Like others have said, two sprays is ample. Plus I got it for $15.

30th November, 2013 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2013)

Papi Le Bon's avatar

Mexico Mexico

A perfume to not hesitate

It breaks my schemes. I don't trust cheapies but, with it, you can save money for a lifetime without regrets. I don't understand the word "powerhouse" but I'm sure this is not, because is mild. This is turbid, very powdery and flowery in the mid notes. As you can learn reading this reviews, maybe is a happy reformulation. What strikes me more is the confidence of the way it conveys its message. This is something to learn from it or, as you wsih, from its author. The drydown is very soft tabac.

Pros: Clarity of message: turbidity & boldness
    Cons: People´s state of mind is somewhere else"

10th October, 2013

MrMookie's avatar

The man who drives a Malibu Woody

I have the new version, the bergamot,oakmoss,pine and sandalwood are well done where the bergamot and citrus are floating well between the earthy tones.

Its a manly scent. I thought it would be harsher and tougher as i bought it blind but to my suprise this is a very "mild" fragrance. Mild in a way its a clean fresh bergamot rolled in the sand kind a way.
    Good projection and longevity. stays long ons skin especially hairy skin. (arms,chest) if you have enough hair offcourse.

Someone told in a review its like a man who is not cheating on his wife/girlfriend and i agree with that.
    Its for a type of guy who drives a woody stationcar and loves his family, not a party guy.

Very down to earth, very masculine in a somehow musty way
    not like Kouros i say.
    Not expensive.

Pros: A certain powerhouse
    Cons:

28th August, 2013

Robierre69's avatar

Pungent!

Quorum brings back memories of a time (the eighties) when a man's fragrance was expected to be potent. I got a recent bottle for nostalgia sake. I had not smelt anything remotely as strong in such a long time that i wasn't quite prepared for what Quorum had to offer. I wore it to the gym and all i needed was one spray on the chest. It lasted beyond my two hour workout and was beastly throughout. I was still smelling it hours after. This is truly a potent fragrance with respectable silage and projection. Be warned, one spray is more than enough.

Pros: Very strong masculine scent!
    Cons: Not everyone's cup of tea.

18th June, 2013

jcdutchy's avatar

I had this many years ago and was a hit with friends and family. This past fall and winter of 2012, I decided to purchase this again for the holidays and a few young people both male and female did ask me what was the name of my cologne? After all these years, I was the one who forgot and to my surprise some knew of Quorum eau de toilette.

07th May, 2013

Darvant's avatar

Recently i stumbled upon a vintage Quorum's bottle forgotten somewhere on the dusty shelves in the background of an old tiny italian perfumes shop and it was a deja vu. Yes, Quorum is a jump in the glorious past, the "powerhouse" old age full of masculine green aromatic fougeres. The blend features a standout oakmoss, some tobacco, carnation and leather supported by spices, pine resins and aromatic herbs along the transition. The final smoky leather is boise and almost obscure while the patchouli is bold and sharp. A fresh/aqueous (with a mastering initial bergamot), spicy/aromatic, mossy and finally opaque/soapy (amber-leather-oakmoss) aroma, Quorum is an uncompromisingly virile, "silent", smoky/rooty and mature stuff always present in the air around the wearer but in a discreet sharp way. The Quorum's type of man is conservative but dynamic. A well-blended stout scent (in the Giorgio Beverly Hills, Yatagan and Paco Rabane Pour Homme's vein) still great nowadays.

03rd March, 2013 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2014)

sunnymitra's avatar

A truly masculine, slightly spicy, woodsy, leathery classic. Quorum was one of my most used, and probably over-applied, scents of my twenties. It is a rugged scent, but far from crude in its composition.

The opening accord is actually quite fresh, but doesn't have much time to shine. The citrus top notes fade quite quickly, and reveal middle notes dominated by manly woods with some florals, but quite honestly I can't see the wood for the trees when it comes to the flowers in Quorum! The pine and patchouli dominate this scent's heart, lingering until the very end, and their unmistakable presence serves as a reminder that this is a scent from a bygone era.

Its basenotes define old-school manliness, with very rich leather, dark tobacco, warm amber and exquisitely blended earthy moss. The moss note is deeper in the vintage version, with the current formulation featuring a more vivacious citrus opening - otherwise I find the two versions near identical. Famed for its aggressive silage and tremendous staying power on skin, Quorum is a classic dry powerhouse for men that is unashamedly rooted in the 70s.

19th November, 2012

Houndnotes's avatar

I warn you it will take time for you to fully appreciate and enjoy this fragrance.

It’s so complex, so strong and masculine: a mix of wet wood , tobacco and vanilla which evolves gradually until you’ll understand what real men should smell like.. "Quorum "

17th November, 2012

ferdinand_the_imposter's avatar

Most definitely, as someone stated, a "testosterone manifesto."

Indeed, the Burt Reynolds-era bottle and packaging alone should be enough to frighten off the unisex aquas crowd.

A plethora of notes, from spicey, to soapy, to stale (in a good way), and back again. And take-it-from-the-top all over again. This one lasts and lasts and lasts - and costs almost nothing.

Sometimes borders on the unintelligible - but in a 'strong, silent type' sort of way.

Old school classic.

10th November, 2012

PeteH's avatar

Loud, brash, big-balled, and absolutely fantastic.

31st October, 2012

JackTwist's avatar

I love this chypre, but in all honesty, I find it to be identical to the classic women's scent: CABOCHARD by Gres.

I sprayed each on opposite arms and after my own tests, asked friends to give me their impressions.

Right on- no difference perceived.

I love CABOCHARD and I love its counterpart QUORUM and both are in the same affordable price range, so who can quibble.

The very best chypre(s) my nose has encountered.

04th September, 2012

Francolino's avatar

classy and so old school, a quintessential powerhouse, gotta love this juice, bought a couple of bottles!

11th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 27th July, 2012)

The Scent's avatar

Imagine a place called: Men's Territory.

A guy driving around in his hairdressers convertible he's just 18 and doesnt
    know a thing about life.

Then suddenly an old landrover defender v8 shows up!

A hairychested guy in his 40's wearing Quorum walked up to the boy's car.

He asks: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?

This is men's territory son, we dont want you and your aqua di gio ways around here!

Do you understand?

Go home and go play with a barbie or something!

That's whats Quorum is to me!

12th June, 2012

odysseusm's avatar

I used to wear this in "the day". I spritzed some on in a shop and was pleasantly surprised.
    Yes, it is an 80's scent. Yet is it still sprightly and wears well. It has nice green notes up front, and settles into a patchouli - tobacco - leather vibe in the drydown (typical of its era).
    But during the journey I could smell pine and artemsia, resinous and bitter-green notes which are very pleasant.
    Definitely a blast from the past, but green and powerhouse fans definitely should check it out.
    Not as heavy as Jules, the other scent of my younger days.

11th May, 2012

Silver Focks's avatar

Quorum is one of the few powerhouses that I enjoy wearing.Very similar to Polo and Havana but I've never liked either one. It's also somewhat similar to Azzaro, which I like, but more often I reach for Quorum. Casual enough for jeans and formal enough for a suit.

13th March, 2012

judahsmith's avatar

All I can say is...this scent is BOMB! Seriously it is amazing. Manly, sophisticated, did I mention manly? You have to be a large and in charge confident PLAYA to wear this. And I love it. One spray, and I'm good allllll day. (One right to the chest after a morning shower) Even under my undershirt, and suit, it wafts through all day. Very refined. I'm in 30's and just started getting into frags after a long hiatus. Wore some in high school, early 20's. My fragrance decade was the 90's (mostly Calvien Klien stuff...light clean scents). But this stuff is OLD SCHOOL. Like when I was a new born baby old school, but I love it. My wife smelled it on me for the first time today. (Just got the bottle) and she kept saying (WHY DO YOU SMELL SO GOOD? MMMM) Let's just say it was the response I like. It's warm, green, musky, complex, smells like a real man's (little boys need not apply) all grown up, night on the town, Armani suit cologne. This is how you want to smell drinking cognac in a high class New York Lounge. At 10 bucks on Ebay, how on earth do they make something so amazingly high end, so inexpensively. This stuff just emanates class. If you want a "BIG BOY" fragrance, for evenings out, that won't break the bank but make you smell like you did. Get this one! REMEMBER 1 spray, only 1, straight on the chest right after showering, then put on your best finery, and prepare to be transported to "OLD WORLD CLASS." When men smelled like men, and not like they're sharing the same perfume as their girlfriend. I could go on at length about the notes. But your reading them up above. Every part of this is great, and the notes play through back and forth over the life of the scent, until it drys down to a great tangy leathery musk. If you could wear the scent of the leather seats of a vintage jaguar, the dry down on Quorum would be that scent. What are you waiting for...go buy a bottle. And know this... if you can't wear it, or don't like it, its not because you not a real man....why lie....yes it is....

13th March, 2012

inlandemperor's avatar

Simply put, Quorum is a masterpiece. It's a tour de force, a fougere of green and woody notes. A walk through the forest after the rain, but with a lovely tobacco and incense heart, that never leaves your skin. It's very powerful, very long lasting, never cloying, and always fresh - but the freshness is textured, deep, not just a thin citrus or soapy freshness, there's something really strong and masculine here. I love my 'club' scents like Le Male, Givenchy Pi, A*Men etc - but Quorum just exudes confidence, purpose and it's very reminiscent to me of the time I have spent in Spain, the sun going down and taking a shower - Quorum is for that clean shaven strength. AND it's 100ml for £10 at the moment on certain websites. I mean - THAT is the best fragrance bargain around, surely!

24th January, 2012

Jack_H's avatar

What can I say about this fragrance that hasn't already been said? Distinctive? Certainly. Old fashioned? Rather...Classic. This is a fragrance that takes no prisoners. Wear it defiantly, or don't wear it at all.

This has been my signature scent for over 10 years, I've never had any complaints. It is forceful, certainly, but never unpleasant or overpowering. It's finish is dark and masculine, but not sickly sweet like some others of it's kind.

This is Antonio Banderas riding a horse down a long white beach with dignity and purpose, eating a steak sandwich! One for the men, boys need not apply ;-)

If this is for you, wear it with pride, if not, go for something a bit less forceful!

14th January, 2012

TW Bolek's avatar

Poland Poland

A masterpiece and class of its own. I will always have a bottle in my collection and wear it. Doesn't last as long as I would like it to. If it did it would be my number one. Muchos Gracias, Senior Puig!

20th November, 2011

Safetyjon's avatar

After all these years, I still really enjoy this fragrance. I received Quorum as a gift shortly after its release in 1982. This was my first taste of a "real" fragrance. Oh, it really brings back fantastic memories. Yes, it is an 80's powerhouse. But it is not brash, offensive or vulgar. I think that the opening scares off many. If used correctly, Quorum is strong, manly, confident and in-charge, while still maintaining a certain smoothness throughout its lifespan. After about 2-4 hours, it evolves into what I feel is its best phase. The drydown is very manly, with its patchouli, leather and tobacco, and lasts for a very long time (10-12 hours).

It is similar to Bijan PH, which came out a year earlier. However, although they are very similar, I find Bijan PH to be "over-the-top" and aggressive. I almost always apply too much, even when I consciously go easy on application. I don't seem to have this proble with Quorum. I also find Quorum to be similar to Romeo Gigli PH, another fine fragrance with many common components.

I don't reach for Quorum that much any more. I have matured and Quorum is still the same. But I reached for it today, and I'm really glad that I did...

10th October, 2011

Naed_Nitram's avatar

My dark and elder green, surrounded by the brown murmurs of the forest floor, deep masculine shadows, shafts of sunlight through the trees, warmth of subdued but urgent spices. After a while of travelling through a tunnel in the earth - gloomy, musty, warm, profound - I somehow emerged into a chamber of great distinction where a group of gentlemen sat around a large table, discussing matters of great moment. "Messieurs, brethren, cameradoes," I announced, "I assume we are gathered here to discuss the mysteries of the much maligned Quorum. How sad that persons of otherwise good taste and discernment should relegate this fragrant poem, layered with strangeness and with depth, to a universe of sweaty groins and over-muscled machismo! Are they mad or merely prone to overspraying? Ancient of days! Essence of natural nobility! Mystical odour of a forgotten race of Peasant-Kings! Warm and kindly, rough with the earth but purely royal, a tinge of sadness, and such a well of enigmatic depth!" (de Charlus).

12th September, 2011

Mark Strube's avatar

This smells like a forest fell into a bubble bath and then started on fire. Ridiculously masculine- this will get you noticed. Will I find an occasion to wear this? Who knows. But it's as great as it is ridiculous. Available for well under $20 online, this is very much worth a try if you enjoy green scents.

12th August, 2011