Reviews of R by Révillon

Find out more about R by Révillon in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

lairdangus's avatar

An aquatic with a backbone

OVERALL RATING: * * * *

Now THIS is what an aquatic should be! Light, refreshing, crisp, but with a bit of spine. I would describe "R" as a woody floral, with a bit of clean, dry leather lurking in the background.

The leather really appears if you use an atomizer. In the traditional splash bottle, the floral notes take center stage. All in all, I think I prefer the splash for this particular fragrance.

"R" is a great choice for a sweltering summer day. It is inoffensive but interesting--you won't smell like anyone else. And as EricRico pointed out in his PERFECT review, "R" was composed by the maestro himself, Maurice Roucel.

Best of all, "R" is a bargain! A 6.7 oz bottle can be purchased online for under $20, so there is virtually no risk to trying it.

Highly recommended and one of my go-to summer fragrances

Pros: beautiful floral woody notes
    Cons: not terribly long lasting"

26 August, 2013

heo's avatar

Norway Norway

what a disappointment ! I blindly bought it because of all the positive reviews here.
    R de Revillion is a very generic barbershop fragrance. nothing much ! it starts with a sweet notes and then ends up like an aftershave. keep away ! not cool.

19 April, 2013

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Very hard to describe indeed. Smells like a better version of Between the Sheets by Van Gills, yet another obscure fragrance.

I would describe it as titration of cardboard. Does not sound very interesting but it is the best smelling cardboard I have ever sampled.

There is an overall non-feminine sweetness, a hint of musk, some vanillaic qualities and a clean spicy-ness, white/pink pepper me think. It's old and new at the same time.

Take Fahrenheit and clean it up to 45% strength then add a bit of vanilla, then brighten the composition with a tinge of diluted sharp green citrus. Now dial the final juice back to about 80% strength.

Inexpensive and well worth a blind buy.

28 March, 2013

silentrich's avatar

What a great fragrance! An EdT that comes in an attractive and heavy 6.7 oz bottle for less than $15. Ok.... It must smell weak or horrible... load up my glass atomizer (it's a splash bottle)..5 or 6 spritzes and *sniff*...... no way!!! Yeah it smells fantastic, and the longer it stays on you the better it smells. Best part is this is a low projecting EdT that you can douse yourself in. It actually lasts quite awhile on my skin (6 hours) and the dry down is just as good if not better than the opening. It's like a sllightly woody tonka bean drydown, but the rest of the notes are still there which makes it interesting. Another basenotes member recommended this and I'm very glad that I listened. Thank you!

27 September, 2012

ericrico's avatar

Nice ultra-clean aromatic with a wonderful blended composition by Maurice Roucel! I like what he did here - and see it almost as a throwback scent, but there is something decisively modern about it. No dust - there is a super fresh feeling one gets with this.

My notes are: Top - citrus - bergamot mostly, lavender (light and breezy accord, not heavy at all as lavender can be), a nice use petit grain, and a dash of some "marine" notes - a slightly ozonic quality. Very nice!

The middle warms up with a hint of cedar, but there is very little wood in here - and a nice bit of artemisia adding some greenery. The spices are light, and intermingle nicely - they warm up the fragrance a touch...pinches of cinnamon, nutmeg and coriander is what I can detect. Nothing is loud - just a bit of sparkle, then warmth. Violet makes a nice entrance here, but is not dominant. It blends with the wonderful lavender on top and spices in the heart.

Base - this stays light and wears relatively close with a clean white musk and very fresh feeling. Also, after wearing this a lot (I've used a total of over half a 200ml bottle) - I have found a nice light cedar/fir balsam note in the finish - with the violet staying present for the first hour or so into the drydown. It is clean and adds a bit of depth. I have found longevity (with a nice, liberal application) to be adequate. Layering is fine - this never gets cloying. If I want to touch-up, I just reapply a bit more Revillon R and enjoy the fragrance from top to bottom again before leaving the house. This is a great out-of-the-shower scent and will allow you to go to something different (without needing to wash it off) after just a few hours.

This is a really great, relatively unknown fragrance from a true master in the perfume world in Monsieur Roucel! The price is great - and since it is light and wears like an EDC or even splash after-shave, I like to apply it liberally. I get compliments when I wear this, especially from my wife in the first 30 minutes or so...she loves the top and middle. Longevity is adequate/moderate, around 3-4 hours (at most) leaving a non-obtrusive and clean base you can put virtually anything over (and for me, that may actually be nice - as I find myself wanting to wear or even layer a couple of fragrances during the day). Pick another aromatic fougere with nice lavender in the top and put it over this at midday - no worries.

How to apply is key for me. I bought a 200ml splash (big bottle) for a great price. I unscrew the cap and pour a fair amount of Revillon R either into my cupped hand or, preferably, into the cap itself...probably 2/3 to a full cap and "splash" it on my neck, face, hair and a few wet palms on my shirt. It creates a very nice aura - now you know what Revillon R is all about. Awesome scent for the price. 7/10 overall (due to short longevity), but 8/10 for the scent and price tag. Settle at a 7.5/10 and a strong recommendation to buy. Year-round scent...you simply cannot over-apply this and the more I wear it, the more I come back to it. Cheers to the Revillon house and Maurice Roucel!

02 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2012)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

I am doing a 180 turn here, this fragrance is outstanding, I didn't like it too much at the first but the more I wear it, the more I like it, and now it is becoming one of my favorites.
    Spices, leather, woods and a herb/flowery note that I thought was lavender, but now I realize it is some other kind of flower/herb note that also hints of juniper and pine.
    I highly recommend this scent, a winner.

20th August, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2013)

funnyboy's avatar

Kind of old fashioned in a very clean sort of way.No one could object to this smell and it is definately masculine.I could imagine a well dressed city gent wearing this in Paris for a business lunch.I detect some lavender in there but not a sickly sweet sort like caron pour un homme.Definately one of my favorites for summer without being a citrus summer scent.

13 August, 2008

Kakihara's avatar

Spain Spain

Not sensual but sexy, optimistic, fresh and lasting fragance. A charming balance between fruity and sweetness, with a elegant combination of sandalwood, Tonka Bean and Amber at the end... Difficult to find, im afraid. My first love at first smell in the perfumerie world!!

07 August, 2005

Joshaugustt's avatar

This is a GREAT scent!!! And it's a very hard one to describe. It IS soft and green, and a little sweet...but it still has body and surprising staying power...yet NEVER overpowering. If you like a fresh, clean, slightly sweet scent...then Revillion is the Scent for you. It IS hard to find. I've also used the After Shave and the spray deodorant...but those, too, are very hard to find. This is one of my favorites. It's definitely worth a try.

06 March, 2004