Reviews of Rochas Man by Rochas

Remember that can of Axe Dark Temptation bodyspray that you used to douse yourself with in middle school? That chocolaty sweet smell that gagged your classmates in the locker room but that somehow you loved? Imagine that all grown up, past the obnoxious excess and strength. That is Rochas Man. It smells like all the flavors of fall in a cappuccino. Wonderful scent.
16th October, 2015
Smells like something you could order at Starbuck's. A very delicious smelling coffee creation with a touch of lavender and other herbs, that keep this stuff recognisable as fragrance. Very well balanced and very wearable.

As some people already mentioned: Perfect coffee date scent!
17th September, 2015
This stuff is just pure candyfloss...i like sweet scents but this stuff is just too sweet for me....
22nd July, 2015

If images of first kisses,first dates wedding day (and night) and many,many anniversaries is something you enjoy this masculine fragrance.I love it for the simple reason that is smells so delicious and romantic. Comfortable, Cute,Warm,Sweet,Woody, Sensational and Stylish.

It presents a distinctive and lovely blend of bergamot and lavender,filled out by additional notes of Raspberry, Jasmine,Vanilla,Amber and sandalwood that people love and tend to complement you.

It is great for sophisticated men who do not wish to wear too strong.Very good for COLD weather.I would suggest using this if you are going out to a romantic dinner date with your wife or with your girlfriend.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

16th May, 2015
If there’s a bunch of good masculine-to-unisex gourmands, Rochas Man would be surely in. And possibly be the uncle of them all. Two references come to mind as a comparison among dozens; Yohji Homme, and Thierry Mugler’s style. Rochas Man is just way more discreet, compelling and refined than most of Mugler’s offerings, yet less sophisticated, cold and “avantgarde” than Yohji. Still that would be the family more or less; a coffee-anisic gourmand top accord on a sort of crisp barbershop-powdery base comprising mostly lavender, sandalwood, spices, amber, a hint of bracing citrus. Two notes or accords stand out for me in particular: coffee and flowers. The smell of coffee here is quite remarkably executed: slightly sweet yet “roasted”, earthy, much aromatic, fairly “natural”, mellow and dark, perfectly blending with amber and woods. Slightly milky and vanillic too, as if it was meant to evoke a “cup” of coffee rather than coffee beans – so, say, a quite “urban” and civilised approach to coffee notes, still quite realistic and not that tackily plastic (take that, Mugler). On the other hand, “barbershop” and fougère-ish grassy flowers provide a silky, gentle frame of clean powderiness, bit of “freshly laundered shirt” vibe, providing some more classic “masculine cologne” feel. Woods and amber do the rest acting as a discreet, warm, slightly earthy frame with a hint of smooth leather. What would you ask more? Rochas Man is one of those clever, well-crafted scents that have them all: it’s versatile, it’s classy, it’s distinctive, it’s surely kind of a “youngster” but perfectly suitable for gentlemen; it’s bright and dark, it’s quite “daring” yet completely civilised and wearable. It’s a bold gourmand, but it’s composed in a way it stays elegantly warm and discreet on skin, stopping just a step before getting tacky - so don’t fear smelling like a candy. You’ll smell just unique. Good stuff.

EDIT: the review above was based on the later "version" (pink box, pink-ish juice). I now acquired an older bottle (wine plastic packaging, brown-ish juice) and if you're interested in a comparison, they're, say, 90% identical. The 10% is what makes the earlier version better; slightly less sweet, more smoky, more ambery, more "mature". It's a matter of subtle nuances but if you get the chance, my advise would be to prefer the earlier bottles.
18th April, 2015 (last edited: 29th April, 2015)
Purchased at an outlet mall having recalled some positive reviews on BN. I'm not a huge fan of gourmand fragrances or an expert in the genre, but this smells like a donut shop dumpster. It's day old coffee and a bit of fruit and some synthetic floral air freshener.

For only $25, I'm not crying, but I don't think I'll ever wear this. Lesson learned.
27th February, 2015 (last edited: 07th October, 2015)
A great gourmand fragrance to start your collection. To me it smells like a sweet mocha, which dries down to a nice vanilla fragrance. It holds up very well in colder weather, however I wouldn't recommend it in the summer, as it turns into an overpowering almost rancid vanilla. However for the price, its well worth buying for the colder weather. However it isn't very "masculine" and I really would consider this more of a unisex fragrance rather than male, so a woman could wear this no problem.
In short-
Nice mocha to Vanilla dry down
Both males and females could pull off this fragrance

Bad in warm weather
Not very masculine
16th July, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Rochas Man is one of the several popular gourmand woody orientals that followed A*Men’s lead in providing extreme alternatives to the aquatics and Cool Water clones that comprised the bulk of 1990s male perfumery. A prominent and persistent licorice note aligns Rochas Man especially closely with Lolita Lempicka au Masculin and Body Kouros, not to mention the original Lolita Lempicka, all three composed in close succession by Annick Menardo. Rochas Man represents Maurice Roucel’s take on Menardo’s basic formula, and for the most part sticks close to the model.

No one could accuse any of these scents of subtlety, but Rochas Man is possibly a touch less loud and sweet than the others, and it shares with Body Kouros and Lolita Lempicka a degree of balance – imparted I suspect by astringent herbaceous notes – conspicuously lacking in au Masculin. As other reviewers have implied, it actually benefits from being slightly less complex and dense with olfactory detail than its peers. I might even go so far as to argue that Rochas Man is best defined by what it lacks: the strident patchouli of A*Men, or the shrieking horror woody amber drydown of Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. I’m not normally one to enjoy the more neutral outings in a given fragrance class, but in a genre virtually defined by excess, Rochas Man pleases more than most. Were I choosing a scent of this sort, Rochas Man would stand beside the original Lolita Lempicka and Body Kouros as an acceptable alternative.
25th June, 2014
This cologne has high ratings and reviews for a solid reason and that may be the lavender itself! Almost a cherry like smell when first applied but as a man who loves to wear a fragrance for his own personal joy the best thigh you can receive out of any scents you own is compliments. And if it's the opposite sex that's making those remarks I think it' adds to the fragrance itself.
21st March, 2014 (last edited: 22nd March, 2014)
Recieved a sample of this and glad I only got a sample.

The opening was great, warm and fruity and then after the drydown it closely resembled something else I had tried recently....... CK Shock...............or rather CK Shock resembles Rochas Man because Shock was born about 12 years after Man. Regardless, the lavender comes on too strong for me and I've never been a big fan of that note.
21st February, 2014
Eroticism in the bottle

I'm lucky. I'm lucky to own it and then I'm lucky that I don't have any issues with longevity or projection with it as it lasts for 8+ hours easily on me. I love it from the first moment, the first spray. It was a blind buy btw. There is a connection with Givenchy Play Intense which is stronger, sharper but somewhat more bitter. Rochas Man is more sensible, sensual and more refined. It's a real shame this fragrance is not widely available, at least not in Croatia. This is a scent of eroticism and seduction and yet again masculinity, maturity, care and responsibility for self and others around - do not be fooled by the shape of the bottle and the colour of the box. This scent was made in 1999. but it's ahead of its time, made for the future just like Le Male was or Armani Code even. A superb creation indeed.

Originality 10/10

Fragrance 10/10

Longevity 08/10

Projection 07/10

Pros: Original, gourmand, erotic, masculine, smooth, seductive, refined, longevity
Cons: a bit synthetic if you really want to look for it, projection"

18th October, 2013
A too-sweet one trick pony that is better for those who love ponies.

This is a failure of a fragrance. It is very sweet, much too sweet for a grown man to wear and that is why it fails. If it was called Rochas Boy or Rochas WoMan then it might be closer to giving you a real idea of what kind of ride is in store for you. Calling it Rochas Man is laughable. As it is, as a man's fragrance, I cannot endorse it. I don't usually slate fragrances but this is honestly nauseating.

Many people describe a mocha note. I several ristrettos everyday, I know what coffee smells like. Rochas Man does not smell anything like it. I get the lavender but it's not well done in the way Caron Pour un Homme does it. I get a bit of vanilla but it's the of the worst sort: highly artificial just like the lavender.

Overall it's very artificial in feeling and just too sweet, I always imagine candy floss sweetness in terms of its smell but without any of the delicious burnt sugar.

Definitely better on women.

Pros: Interesting bottle, that's about it really.
Cons: Far too sweet, far too artificial smelling."

09th September, 2013
Review of Rochas Man by RichNTacoma

Very, very sweet at first. I get the cotton candy notes, as well as the lavender. These fight to keep the gourmand notes, coffee and cocoa, or perhaps even a cafe mocha, at bay. This is especially true if you spay at all on your shirt; avoid this mistake. It stays too sweet and coying on fabric. On skin only, it takes a half an hour for the sweetness to give way to a bit more complexity and subtleness. The projection of the gourmand notes is not great, and once the sweetness fades, it becomes a skin scent unless you spray a good deal, and in which case I find it overwhelming.

I bought this blind to have a gourmand in my collection, and for 23 dollars for a 50ml bottle, I am glad I did. This is not a signature scent or a daily wear, and again, keep it to the skin!

23rd August, 2013

Gary F Show all reviews
A Guilty Pleasure

This is one of those sweet fragrances that men in their late 40's are not supposed to like, but I'll wear what I darn well please! The fact that the sweetness is so beautifully balanced with lavender lends it more of an air of sophistication. Sadly, I need to reapply this periodically throughout the day, but as inexpensive as it is and as much as I love it, I don't really mind.

Pros: Sweet without being cloying
Cons: Poor longevity on my skin

20th June, 2013
Rochas Man by Rochas

This is a creative and original fragrance at an affordable price, however, I personally don't like it and wouldn't recommend it to people. Just because this fragrance has a high approval rating doesn't mean it is for everybody.

My problem with this fragrance is not that it is sweet, or that it has gourmand elements or that it is borderline feminine. I love gourmands. My problem with this fragrance is that it is extremely synthetic, and the gourmand elements of it are dominated by fake nauseating leafy and woody notes that completely take away the focus.

Yes, this has been compared to New Haarlem, and while they are similar, New Haarlem is exponentially better in terms of note quality (as well as performance) and the fact that it is a richer more dedicated gourmand, and in my opinion, it is well worth the price difference.

Despite Rochas Man and New Haarlem being similar, New Haarlem is one of my all time favorites whereas Rochas Man is a bit unpleasant for me. And most fragrances are likeable but not for me, though Rochas Man is actually not pleasant for me.

29th May, 2013
Not powerful enough. Smells very nice, but gourmands are meant to be worn in colder weather and this just doesn't last in colder weather and wears way too close to the skin.
12th May, 2013
The sadly discontinued Rochas Man has been an "olfactory sensation" for years, a really argumentative fragrance (for some people a genial experiment for others an hazarded failure) and surely one of the better received (by the market) Maurice Roucel's creations together with Helmut Lang Cologne and Musc Ravageur. This fragrance plays for sure a game of contrasts, being all at once herbal/aromatic and gourmandish, sweet and salty/( vaguely ozonic type), initially fresh and finally enveloping in a warmer (but never cloying or soffocating) way. The beginning is intoxicating in a fresh, citrusy and aromatic way, a burst of lavender (the element that urged many to reclaim the presumptive A* Men inspiration to Rochas Man), bergamot and herbs. As soon as (in a short while) the soothing elements (balmy, moderately sweet and smooth) start to rise up from the base (with a weird rubbery/"caffeinated"/musky kind of vibe balancing the ambery vanillic sweetness), a sort of central salty/peppery touch juxtaposes its substance in the general artistic struggle of opposites. The dry down (with its sweet/opaque sort of smell conjuring to some the cappuccino aroma) is musky and balmy and suave, kind of milky/boise with undertones of "untoasted" dark coffee, saltiness, musk, tenacious lavender and may be dry fruits or berries. The ambery final presence is prickly and masculine with its sort of dusty/incensey penetrating virility. An unconventional and pioneering oriental that, despite does not embody my ideal olfactory solution, stands out for its versatile and appealing power.
09th April, 2013 (last edited: 10th September, 2015)
AHS Show all reviews
This was a blind buy after reading reviews, as i was looking for a new gourmand fragrance to wear casually.

At first it came off abit feminine and the top is super sweet. However, after about 2 mins of this settling after being sprayed, it turns into a amazing moca, vanilla, strawberry shortcake type sent with chocolate in the drydown. Amazing...

I wear this to school and casuaully and it smells really nice!

Thumbs up all the way.
25th March, 2013
Been the reference cappuccino smell for years, this is a good one. The blast of semi-sweet notes matured by a cleverly added lavender note shows Roucel's art. It's become so popular that you can find the sell even in wet-wipes. I like the fragrance but it is so over-used, cloned and replicated by cheap synthetics.
06th December, 2012
Very sweet, light vanilla scent which is pretty good. The Lavendar comes right at you on the initial spray and the bergamont suppresses the lavendar for a nice top note. The basenotes are a light (kind of synthetic) vanilla which makes this a pretty good frag. Reminds me a lot of Givenchy PI. PI is done a little better with the vanilla though.
13th November, 2012
Love it. I have tried and tried to get into a*men. The burnt rubber note is just too strong and it takes 3 to 4 hours for the initial blast to calm down and smell nice. When it does settle down it becomes quite nice but nothing compared to rochas man.

This stuff is great. As everyone else has said it their reviews - it's a warm caramel, coffee sweet smell with a strong masculine vanilla note. Try this if you find a*man too offensive.

Completely inoffensive and universally loved. A keeper.
02nd November, 2012
Delicious scent. Very well blended, much more softer than New Harlem and not sweet as Play Intense. Goergous drydown and average lasting power, with soft projection. Brilliant.
30th October, 2012
the grand pa of A*Man ,thought it was better, yes cotton candy bottled!
26th October, 2012 (last edited: 27th October, 2012)
not a bad gourmand. extremely sweet. not a ton of projection, decent longevity, cheap. it is synthetic, so be careful with it. overall a good fragrance for the $25 price tag.
08th October, 2012 (last edited: 14th March, 2013)
I enjoy rochas, one of my more complimented colognes. Smells like cotton candy. stay away if you don't enjoy sweet scents. Lasts fairly well and projects decently. a solid fall/winter scent. Pretty versatile, won't choke anyone out with it.
08th October, 2012
the opening is just a blast of lavender with hints of vanilla an if you smell carefully mocha. i absolutely love this fragrance. a compliment monster. something i love to wear when out with a women its not a masculine fragrance but if your comfortable with yourself you should have no problem wearing this now the only reason i give this a neutral is because when i smell when i really smell and and try to separate the notes i get a whiff of burnt coffee and sugar aside of that amazing stuff
25th August, 2012 (last edited: 10th September, 2012)
Rochas my burned sugar syrup that was accidentally placed under an coffee machine for a split second.

I think younger generations (<18 yo) will love this because of the sweetness...but for a Maurice Roucel creation, I cannot find the quality in this.

Roucel makes beautiful fragrances of the highest standards and qualities. Rochas Man is what Roucel made when he was drunk.

Not bashing the fragrance because it's not one my favorite perfumeur's best works, but because this is a linear scent of sugar with no evolution or dry down.

On a man? Oh god, I doubt any woman wants me to smell like this unless she's blind and lives in a gingerbread house and wants to cook me.

On a woman however...I think it's much more apt and could be appealing.

If a man were to buy this, i would STRONGLY reconsider for there are much better sweeter scents out there. If price is an issue then go for it absolutely, but I would rather pay the money for a decant of a more expensive sweet oriental than buy a full bottle of this stuff.

02nd March, 2012
Bought about 30 ml or so from a local fragrance store for $15, overall l think it was money well spent. This is a terrific scent. I love the warm chocolate aroma and my wife is absolutely bananas about it. My only disappointment is the lack of projection.
18th February, 2012
Smells way too young and feminine and that's coming from a guy that loves the Iris "make-up" note in DHI!
10th February, 2012
del Show all reviews
Rochas Man is a true definition of Suave.

The strong floral opening is an attention-grabber, and will definitely pique your interest. It is inoffensive after 6 sprays (2 chest, 2 neck, 1 back, 1/2 for each wrist) on a winter afternoon; the projection is average, but I like it that way as I don't want people complaining about my scent; the longevity is great -- I can still smell it 7 hours after my first application. I detect a chocolate scent somewhere between 2nd and 3rd hour and the sweet, vanilla scent on the dry down is just nice and comforting.

With the right application, this can be worn at work or at school, even at church where proximity to other people is close.

Can't wait to get the full 100 mL bottle.
03rd January, 2012