Positive Reviews of Rochas Man by Rochas

Find out more about Rochas Man by Rochas in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

LoveCologne89's avatar
    LoveCologne89

This cologne has high ratings and reviews for a solid reason and that may be the lavender itself! Almost a cherry like smell when first applied but as a man who loves to wear a fragrance for his own personal joy the best thigh you can receive out of any scents you own is compliments. And if it's the opposite sex that's making those remarks I think it' adds to the fragrance itself.

21st March, 2014 (Last Edited: 22 March, 2014)

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Eroticism in the bottle

I'm lucky. I'm lucky to own it and then I'm lucky that I don't have any issues with longevity or projection with it as it lasts for 8+ hours easily on me. I love it from the first moment, the first spray. It was a blind buy btw. There is a connection with Givenchy Play Intense which is stronger, sharper but somewhat more bitter. Rochas Man is more sensible, sensual and more refined. It's a real shame this fragrance is not widely available, at least not in Croatia. This is a scent of eroticism and seduction and yet again masculinity, maturity, care and responsibility for self and others around - do not be fooled by the shape of the bottle and the colour of the box. This scent was made in 1999. but it's ahead of its time, made for the future just like Le Male was or Armani Code even. A superb creation indeed.

Originality 10/10

Fragrance 10/10

Longevity 08/10

Projection 07/10

Pros: Original, gourmand, erotic, masculine, smooth, seductive, refined, longevity
    Cons: a bit synthetic if you really want to look for it, projection"

18 October, 2013

Gary F's avatar
    Gary F

A Guilty Pleasure

This is one of those sweet fragrances that men in their late 40's are not supposed to like, but I'll wear what I darn well please! The fact that the sweetness is so beautifully balanced with lavender lends it more of an air of sophistication. Sadly, I need to reapply this periodically throughout the day, but as inexpensive as it is and as much as I love it, I don't really mind.

Pros: Sweet without being cloying
    Cons: Poor longevity on my skin

20th June, 2013

AHS's avatar
    AHS

This was a blind buy after reading reviews, as i was looking for a new gourmand fragrance to wear casually.

At first it came off abit feminine and the top is super sweet. However, after about 2 mins of this settling after being sprayed, it turns into a amazing moca, vanilla, strawberry shortcake type sent with chocolate in the drydown. Amazing...

I wear this to school and casuaully and it smells really nice!

Thumbs up all the way.

25 March, 2013

leto's avatar
    leto
    Turkey Turkey

Been the reference cappuccino smell for years, this is a good one. The blast of semi-sweet notes matured by a cleverly added lavender note shows Roucel's art. It's become so popular that you can find the sell even in wet-wipes. I like the fragrance but it is so over-used, cloned and replicated by cheap synthetics.

06 December, 2012

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Very sweet, light vanilla scent which is pretty good. The Lavendar comes right at you on the initial spray and the bergamont suppresses the lavendar for a nice top note. The basenotes are a light (kind of synthetic) vanilla which makes this a pretty good frag. Reminds me a lot of Givenchy PI. PI is done a little better with the vanilla though.

13 November, 2012

The daddy's avatar
    The daddy

Love it. I have tried and tried to get into a*men. The burnt rubber note is just too strong and it takes 3 to 4 hours for the initial blast to calm down and smell nice. When it does settle down it becomes quite nice but nothing compared to rochas man.

This stuff is great. As everyone else has said it their reviews - it's a warm caramel, coffee sweet smell with a strong masculine vanilla note. Try this if you find a*man too offensive.

Completely inoffensive and universally loved. A keeper.

02 November, 2012

's avatar

Delicious scent. Very well blended, much more softer than New Harlem and not sweet as Play Intense. Goergous drydown and average lasting power, with soft projection. Brilliant.

30th October, 2012

RickS1169's avatar
    RickS1169

not a bad gourmand. extremely sweet. not a ton of projection, decent longevity, cheap. it is synthetic, so be careful with it. overall a good fragrance for the $25 price tag.

08 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2013)

abethouin's avatar
    abethouin

I enjoy rochas, one of my more complimented colognes. Smells like cotton candy. stay away if you don't enjoy sweet scents. Lasts fairly well and projects decently. a solid fall/winter scent. Pretty versatile, won't choke anyone out with it.

08 October, 2012

OBNJ's avatar
    OBNJ

Bought about 30 ml or so from a local fragrance store for $15, overall l think it was money well spent. This is a terrific scent. I love the warm chocolate aroma and my wife is absolutely bananas about it. My only disappointment is the lack of projection.

18 February, 2012

del's avatar
    del

Rochas Man is a true definition of Suave.

The strong floral opening is an attention-grabber, and will definitely pique your interest. It is inoffensive after 6 sprays (2 chest, 2 neck, 1 back, 1/2 for each wrist) on a winter afternoon; the projection is average, but I like it that way as I don't want people complaining about my scent; the longevity is great -- I can still smell it 7 hours after my first application. I detect a chocolate scent somewhere between 2nd and 3rd hour and the sweet, vanilla scent on the dry down is just nice and comforting.

With the right application, this can be worn at work or at school, even at church where proximity to other people is close.

Can't wait to get the full 100 mL bottle.

03 January, 2012

Oproust's avatar
    Oproust

Rochas Man, the woody oriental creation of Maurice Roucel, is a delicious gourmand that starts with a strong lavender note accompanied by green leaves and citrus. The lavender is long lasting until the coffee, vanilla and amber mid notes emerge, forming an oh so smooth and silky accord that tells you you've landed firmly in gourmand land. The mid notes also include a smattering of floral notes and a surprising milky accord. Rochas Man is basically a lavender, chocolate and vanillla fragrance. It is not dark coffee bitter like its fraternal twin New Haarlem, also of Roucel's making. Rochas Man is one of the better gourmands available and is relatively inexpensive. I find it to be a comforting scent, perfect to spray on after a long day at the office or after your favorite football team gets trounced by a lesser opponent. I enjoy gourmand fragrances and Rochas Man is near the top of my list. It really isn't prone to being trounced by its opponents, related or otherwise.

10th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2011)

dollars&scents's avatar
    dollars&scents

Rochas Man by Rochas - In its opening, a pleasing lavender and bergamot arouse the senses. From afar, a sweet and creamy vanilla bobs eagerly. Thankfully, the lavender remains throughout the composition to rein in the sweetness. The tantalizing vanilla does intrude on that grassy lavender, and brings its sugary sweetness to the fore, steering it to its heart. The middle beckons, stewing with its coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, cedar, and rasberry notes, as well as some, lovely jasmine and lily-of-the-valley accords. The sweet vanilla blends nicely with the heart, creating a delicious mocha cafe, with hints of wood and floral twinkling. The smooth base with its amber, sandalwood, and glimpses of patchouli, usurps the melange, softening it, and evolves into its enticing drydown. It's a well-constructed gourmand. This delightful fragrance's longevity is good; and its projection is average for the first 3 hours, then sticks to the skin.

20th November, 2011

mrblah's avatar
    mrblah

I love this gourmand scent.

Rochas Man smells like hot chocolate or mocha/vanilla latte with a floral opening, but the projection and sillage is not as intense as Amen. Its very discrete, which I tend to prefer. I could wear this everyday in a office environment, on a date, or just hanging out. You can wear it in hot/cold environments. Also, did I mention that this is probably the least expensive gourmand frags out there.

01st November, 2011

FISS80's avatar
    FISS80

This scent is a godsend for gourmand lovers on a budget. You cannot beat the quality of the product in comparison to the price. The opening is very sweet. Dry Cotton candy with a hint of coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. Projection is moderate which is welcomed for a night with a special someone cuddling at home or going out to a movie. Warm, sweet, and cozy. I could also see a confident woman wearing this fragrance.

29 October, 2011

Vitamin B Complex's avatar
    Vitamin B Complex

This fragrance is the smoothest, most pleasant scent I have when it comes to the opening 5 minutes.

It's a beautiful smell, it really is. And the price is good too. The longevity can vary, I've had 4 hours before, I've had 12 hours before. One time it even lasted overnight on my hand. The more I've worn it the longer it lasts on my skin.

Projection isn't a beast, but that's fine, it's not meant to be. This is the perfect scent for cuddling with someone.

Unfortunately I am single.

26 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2011)

Roper-Hall's avatar
    Roper-Hall

This classic is elegance in a bottle. It not only will add a new dimension to your comportment while you wear it, but also will demand a new level of attention from those around you. This chef d'oeuvre of fragrance is what will complete you, like the Jag on your Jaguar, and the sparkle in your eye. This is not about the notes and accords, its about the complete package, and why we choose to wear enhancements at all.

22 September, 2011

BrianFantana's avatar
    BrianFantana

Rochas Man kind of sneaks up on me as a very sugary cotton candy scent at first. I don't really get the coffee/mocha hint until about an hour into this one. Smooth and sweet pretty much define this one. As for me I am very picky when it comes to sweet fragrances. If it is too sweet then it makes me want to vomit. The key with sweetness IMO is balance, and I feel like this is well blended and balanced enough to appeal to the masses. Longevity and projection are not the greatest, which leads me to believe that this one is better suited for date nights where there will be plenty of cuddling and smooching going on. I did blind buy this one and was not disappointed. However, if you are unsure whether or not sweet fragrances are for you then sample it first.

Longevity: 7 The most I got out of this was 7 hours.
    Projection: 6 A close contact date night scent.
    Compliments: 9 This fragrance is well received by a variety of women.
    Smell: 9 I wish this one would project more and last longer on me because I love the smell.

Overall: 7.8 out of 10

04 September, 2011

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

This fragrance has as an opening, the dominant aroma of coffee accompanied by lavender, which excludes the dry and rough opening coffee smell present in Angel Men Pure Coffee.

After 30 minutes, the scent reaches it's climax, where we then have the appearance of vanilla involving the whole coffee note, giving a creamy gourmand aspect to the fragrance, a real cappuccino, (although not as evident as in Vanille Mokha but that does not detract in any way the ending result of this fragrance)wheres the final result is nothing more than a delicious gourmand fragrance that sparkles for it's versatility.

In short, this is an excellent fragrance that I recommend to anyone who enjoys a gourmand made around coffee. Want a more full-bodied and intense version of it? Choose the sensational New Haarlem, however prepare the pocket. Want a more creamy and a little more in mind that the scent from Bond No. 9? Vanille Mokha. A dry version of coffee? Pure Coffee. Now if your intention is to capture all these fragrances into one, with an excellent relation between cost and benefit, then go to Rochas Man!

21st August, 2011

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

A light chocolate vanille and lavender fragrance that is quite charming. For the price it is a worthy purchase and at times I find myself craving to wear this fragrance.

03 June, 2011

ShcShc11's avatar
    ShcShc11

Love it. Definitely one of the better Gourmand Colognes. Thumbs up!!!

22 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 June, 2011)

Mr-Scratch-N-Sniff's avatar
    Mr-Scratch-N-Sniff

I love this sweet sugary scent. It is subtle and it doesnt seem to offend anyone at my work as some oriental/spicy fragrances do. My girlfriend definitely agreed this is one of her favorites but she always leans toward the chrome and younger smelling scents. The mocha vanilla drydown is awesome. My review may be a little biased since I love gourmand fragrances but IMO this is a must buy for me.

22 April, 2011

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Maurice Roucel is one of those perfumers on which I can't really make up my mind. On one hand I think about some of his creations that I totally endorse and love (Musc Ravageur, Rochas Man, Helmut Lang Cologne and Perfume, Linari Acqua Santa, Gucci Envy, Kenzoair) on the other hand I think about those I hate (Lolita Lempicka Floral Coral, Lancome Hypnose Homme, Marc Jacobs Splash Orange) and can't really decide if he's genius or just a good chemist.

What I can say is that he moves on a very dangerous territory made of a rich sweetness, bittersweet accords, warm and fresh juxtaposition, gourmand and animalic notes. This is a thin line that may easily lead to both a refined sensuality as well as to a total crude disaster. Expecially when he works on male fragrances. In Rochas Man he surely hit the target with an amazing warm-fresh and sweet fragrance that opens with a suprising bergamot and lavander note and turns into a sweet musky-gourmandic drydown. Warm and embracing, fresh and crispy, very sweet but not loud. Can do really well also on a woman.

A great composition sadly discontinued, so stock up. My only disappointment is for the barely acceptable lasting power (3-4 hrs on my skin).

04 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2011)

PigeonMurderer's avatar
    PigeonMurderer
    Finland Finland

A very old favourite of mine. It has the special honour of being that one fragrance that I think I've worn during the Christmas holidays more than any other, after I bought my bottle in 2003 (I still have this same one in use.) So Rochas Man always reminds me of December and Christmas time. Not a bad association, since I love that time of the year.

It's a well made fougere-oriental-gourmand hybrid, although at times the drydown goes a bit nuts on my skin (for instance when the temp is suddenly drastically rising), and it can turn into confused and quite messy, indeed. Luckily this thing rarely happens though, and when it does, it actually still smells great from a certain distance. Weird, complex and unfathomable behaviour - just like mine.

Some say the bottle reminds them of some obcene sex toy, but I've always been lucky enough to get the more pleasant associations and visions. (For example, ice cream cone, and my absolute favourite, space rocket of DDR's very own Sandmännchen)

To my knowledge original RM, released in 1999, has been slightly reformulated after J-M Duriez set to be a house nose for Rochas. That was in 2008.

28 March, 2011

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

Out of any chocolate I've smelled in a fragrance this one is the best to my nose. It's the initial blast of chocolate that does it and it settles into more of a mocha and vanilla base. Out of all the gourmands I've tried I always come back to this one because it does everything so well. Incredible. A+!

08 March, 2011

silversurfer's avatar
    silversurfer

This one's a nice change of pace for me- warm smooth, sweet. Top: cotton candy melting to light caramel. Dries nicely to vanilla, amber? base. Not sure I smelled lavender top or mocha base. Really nice dry down to the base!

25 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2011)

TheBuyer's avatar
    TheBuyer
    Brazil Brazil

Very good gourmand. But c´mon! So good to be so shy and close to the skin! If you want a discrete gourmand, go for it. If you want to smell it without sniffing your arms, go fo another.

07 February, 2011

jbr's avatar
    jbr

As the most well-known masculine gourmand behind A*Men, it is probably inevitable that Rochas Man is going to draw comparison to the infamous Mugler creation. Personally, to me it seems like Rochas Man represents a deliberate move toward a different school of thought on constructing a gourmand for men.

At every stage in its development Rochas Man opts for a different strategy then A*Men: the latter's bombastic lavender-and-tar top is replaced with a more gentle sweet grassy lavender, while in the heart Rochas Man chooses light florals rather than heavy patchouli, and finishes with a deliciously sweet amber and vanilla accord rather than A*Men's thick and gooey honey-chocolate-caramel-coffee accord.

In sum, where A*Men chooses to go deep, dark and heavy, Rochas Man chooses to go light and sweet. It provides a welcome alternative to those who have never warmed up to the former, and expands the possibilities for those who like A*Men but would like a different style of gourmand which is easier to wear at different times of the year (A*Men is almost strictly for cold weather in my opinion).

Though I've spent most of this review comparing it to A*Men, Rochas Man has certainly earned the right to stand on its own.

05 January, 2011

Bryann9182's avatar
    Bryann9182

A great light gourmand

Scent - A, sweet sugar, coffee, vanilla, mocha. Compliment monster
    Projection - C, average projection on me
    Longevity - B, 5-7 hours for me...pretty solid
    Versatility - B, pretty versatile gourmand. Not very thick and overpowering imo
    Uniqueness - C, lots of coffee/chocolate smelling gourmands out there but most of them don't do it as good as this one

25 October, 2010