Reviews of Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Find out more about Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

H.D.'s avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

One of my all time favourite fragrances. I love the mediterranean fruits combined with the warm spices. It's never overbearing or oppulent, always subtle and elegant without being generic.
    One reviewer here said that it evoked a sense of old Imperial luxury and I see what he means and I agree. Roma is very luxurious and rich but not loud and powerful.
    Roma knows how to behave himself and he is a well educated man of the world.

04th January, 2014

easyboy82's avatar

This is my favourite fragrance, it still is extremely popular here in Italy (where you can find it in any selective perfumery shop and where it is priced more or less as any other high end cologne) and there are good reasons for this popularity and longevity on the market. It is sweet, warm and sweet. Creamy. And at the time of its creation there were not so many sweet frangrances for men around as nowadays. Many of the fragrances of this type put on the market in the last years tend to be strong, seductive in a very bold kind of way, they are fragrances for a night out on the disco floor, they catch the nose but they lack subtlety. Roma Uomo is not like that. It is elegant. Very elegant and soft. It's the perfume for a gentle, romantic man, it is *very* seductive but in a subtle, velvety, charming, kind of way.If it was a dressing style it would be a casual chic outfit. It is just perfect for a man in his late 20s and 30's, but it really can suit any age and any dressing style from casual chic up to nearly formal. I use it in every season, but it gives the best in autumn and winter. It is good for daytime use, charming for evening wear. Just perfect.
    Bottle: nice, the idea is a roman temple at the sunset.
    Longevity: good.
    Zodiacal signs I think it would be particular good for: sensually sweet tauruses, romantic cancers, charming lybras.

26th December, 2013

MrMookie's avatar

Italian Summer Stallion

I HAD to buy it again after now 14 years its been a while and I occasionally did some squirts from a tester from time to time as I walked by the store and Roma was seducing me, calling me from the shelves..Hey Pssstt.. pick me Man...,one more time!
    And i did it!, could not resist anymore it was a favourite scent then and im so happy i bought it now again.
    Its a milestone scent for me, its package and bottle design is typical classy 90's Italian.
    The juice gives me a great mellow and happy feeling wearing it, and dont expect an naive Happy,Happy - Joy,Joy scent!

I see good times , romantic times, sensual heated moments with your beloved ones and a bit mysterious but definiatly not dark!
    Its perfect for summer days and evening wearing, it gives women a head turn if you project it rightly.
    Be a little macho and daring and this truly can be a troublemaker!(As JMGCG said) Hahaha... but its true!
    As others reviewers say its creamy and i certainly love its composed with galbanum and benzoin and citrus/grapefruits...
    In my collection i certainly will rank this one in my top 5 of most seducing scents.

Buy it if you like a nice italian stallion summersweet delight!

Pros: Sunny delight and ultra macho
    Cons: Not for people with nose-diabetes"

25th August, 2013

GianniGG's avatar

italian style

the opening is citrus then it becomes more creamy and balmy. it is a refined and distinctive perfume

24th August, 2013

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

Fresh oriental with fruity, candylike top notes. The drydown is very powdery and sweet, pperfectably suitable for an elderly lady.

18th November, 2012

Tony T's avatar

a bit of minotaure and burbeery brit. not as bright but a bit milder and more relaxed and refined than the 2. i prefer minotaure but this is also a great scent. if you think minotaure is too in your face you will love this oriental..

09th November, 2012

martinijo's avatar

England England

A little feminine for some but no complaints from me.
    A little linear and not too exciting in the dry down but still a real pleasure. particularly when it is not too hot.
    Very nice bottle.

07th November, 2011

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Mandarines, oranges mixed with vanilla, benzoin to be precise. Great scent, so casual yet so elegant, open, I must say it is linear too. Really a nice classic I might posess one day.

22nd January, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Too much weak and fruity for my full pleasure, too kind of light soul and eternal grown baby, finally too much musky/balmy soapiness in its substance. Roma is an almost decent fruity, woody, semi-oriental scent in which the texture of woods and balsams (fir balsam, amber, benzoin, galbanum, may be a touch of vanilla) is watered down, understated and diluted by an excess of fruity (grapefruit, tangerine), citric and floral (jasmine, eliotrope) dosage. I perceive too much fruits (a sort of balmy/musky blend of orange and peach) and this is what in my opinion kills a fragrance, subdue the green texture, the elegance, the sobriety. To be worn just in late spring, (just on daily time) by relaxed dynamic souls.

12th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 04th January, 2014)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

If Fahrenheit is too mechanical or industrial, this does it. It is sweet, spicy, musky and 'industrial' (metallic and petroleum like notes) all at the same time and all with full force. It took a while to get used to it, but I wore it today and loved it. Cooler weather means you won't get spikes from individual notes as they flouresce, which is a good thing. I like.
    BTW: I liken this to Versace Baby Blue Jeans, except while BBJ can be a tad juvenile and excessively sweet, Roma is spot on. Kinda like a mature version.

13th September, 2010

nightcutter's avatar

Lovely scent.

Vanilla, sandalwood and orange. Quite linear. A little bit feminine but that doesn't bother me.

Not a warm weather fragrance. Good for the autumn.

It's a favourite of mine but I don't wear it often.

Good longevity with pretty good projection. I get a fair few complements when I wear this - ladies especially seem to like it.

04th July, 2010

Kabamaru ninja's avatar

Greece Greece

Nothing special here,just another sweet scent back from 90's.

17th April, 2010

lunoar's avatar

Whatever top notes there were (i couldn't distinguish them apart from a slight fleeting floral) faded quickly into a linear musky sweet vanilla. Not unpleasant but a little bland and unexciting.

30th March, 2010

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

A quite resilient fruity fragrance. I like it but there's a lingering vanilla accord that is rather overbearing and quite off-putting after a while. In sum, a rather pleasant scent but some accords are a little too strong for me to give it an unqualified approval.

26th March, 2009

lex's avatar

thick creamy vanilla with a overcast of musk.may sound too basic with these notes but they are blended well.scent for the cool weather. for a date ,yes,work maybe not

22nd February, 2009 (Last Edited: 15th March, 2009)

Public Enema's avatar

I got musk and patchouli from this. Very long lasting pleasant smell.

12th February, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Fruity ambery oriental in a terrific bottle. Very sweet smelling, or should I even say cloying….It has that bizarre vintage animalic tone to it which makes it somewhat “dated” smelling to me.
    Unique fragrance at the end, although I well understand references to Minotaure.

Basil and crisp laurel leaves are very notable ingredients in this. Fruits are very much overripe – almost rotten. And then there is a massive doze of amber and a bit less benzoin (vanilla).
    It also smells like it could have some indolic flowers in there somewhere, and yes, I really do find this quite animalic composition.

Interesting and impressive fragrance which sadly comes off as very off-putting to me in the end.

03rd February, 2009

dacerace's avatar

This is not bad bad scent,it is pleasent,with a nice clean just out of the bath smell.But it just doesn't impress me a great deal..I like the vanilla...and flowery notes,but it just doesn't make me want to buy another bottle,quite simply,I like stronger scents...maybe like Cerruti Si.I'll give this a neutral...because it isn't horrible....just a bit plain.

18th January, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Smells like a slightly spicier Pi or Minotaure (without the puffiness). Essentially just light spices, vanilla and musk. Decent all around scent for cooler weather. If you like vanilla you'd like this.

21st September, 2008

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

today my sister bought 75ml for 37$ for her boyfriend and i had to test it, its superb for her but alas not for me, it didnt wowed me, what hit me first is Tangerine and Graperfruit, its not so vanilish as some mention (try Givenchy's Pi), very good longevity (after 5h i need to sniff my skin sooo close to feel it, now its 11h after application and i feel it) but sillage is below avg.(I think I would need 6-8 spritz to feel comfortable, but i never pour out so much juice on me moslty 2-4 spritz) , base note is best from pyramid, ok as everyday scent
    /if i did any lang. errors dont blame me :)

02nd September, 2008

JaimeB's avatar

Top Notes: Grapefruit, Basil, Bergamot, Galbanum
    Middle Notes: Jasmine, Juniper, Heliotrope, Pine
    Base Notes: Cedar, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Benzoin

I like the top notes in this, and the rest is interesting, but it doesn't quite seem to make a whole. It is a bit on the sweet side, and could use more balance. On the good side, it is fresh and comfortable to wear in warmer weather, if you don't mind the sweetness too much. I have seen pyramids for this that claim jasmine, juniper, heliotrope, and pine in the heart and don't mention vanilla in the base. That's the pyramid I included in this review , from parfyym.pri.ee. Those notes seem to make some sense to me, although I think they would make for more balance and more projection than I get from the juice in the bottle I own. I think this is OK, but I had hoped for greater things from it, so the best I can do is give it a neutral rating.

01st August, 2008

Gerco's avatar

In 1994 i discovered Roma. I was sol immediatly and used it for years as my signature scent. Redently is smelled it again and i was totallly overwhelmed by the sweet, sweet smell. In those days it got lots of female compliments, but nowadays ?

Enjoy Roma if you can, but my roma-days were in the 90-ties.

11th July, 2008

pasha's avatar

If you like and use this scent, guess what, you are making a statement about yourself, and perhaps a good one. It takes big balls to pull of something this sweet and dizzying. Everybody talks about the layers of this frag with the citrusy opening etc. I cannot even smell a hint of citrus in this one. The only thing I detect is vanilla, and more vanilla, and more vanilla, and more vanilla... It is truly sickening.

The woman 'who wants to rip the clothes off' the guy who wears it must be in desperate need of a vanilla overdose, or a 2,000 calorie dessert. The amber and musk notes are suffocating under the heavy drench of vanilla, that the frag never transforms, or moves on your skin, yet remains the same throughout the whole 12 hours (I swear, the longevity is very impressive, as it's with any synthetic vanilla scent).

I just don't like it. This was the frag that made me hate any type of vanilla scent for so long. It was definitely traumatizing. Since I have discovered Opium pour Homme, I like vanilla a lot more, yet I just think that this is not a well crafted scent. Not at all.

28th April, 2008

Volanges's avatar

I first smelled this fragrance in the summer of 1994. I was in an elevator in Montreal when a very handsome man stepped in and filled the elevator with a delicious, sweet scent. I immediately asked him what he was wearing, "Roma by Laura Biagiotti," he replied. Whenever I smell this fragrance, I am transported to that exact moment in time and to that summer. It has since become my trademark scent to wear in the warmer months of the year.
    The combination of citrus and sweetness is what wins me over, as well as its long permanence on my skin, hours after I applied it. While some reviewers complain of a chemical lingering scent, I do not mind it at all and to me it is part of this fragrance's signature. I always get compliments on it. Although its sweetness is now dated, for me it is not a bad thing to relive the early 90's...

25th April, 2008

nurpnurp's avatar

I remember paying for a parking ticket at a police station a couple of years ago (I was 21) while I had Roma on during the day. I was being helped out by a mid-30ish year old beautiful lady who could smell the cologne. She said "Mmm, you smell really good", and so jokingly I replied "Haha, is that a date?". To that, she replied "I would if I wasn't married".

Although this cologne is not great enough to nullify any parking tickets, it was great enough to have her almost cheat on her husband! So to all you married couples out there, beware of any singles who posses Roma Uomo.

22nd April, 2008

Stu's avatar

I have loved this for several years now. Every note from top to bottom suits my skin, which doesn't seem to like every fragrance out there even if I like them on others. Thanks Roma Uomo. So many Thumbs WAY WAY UP!!

18th April, 2008

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

The opening has a very nice citrus scent (the grapefruit is dominant and has a very pleasant sweet note), but hen it settles down to a rather artificial smell. There's just too much candy aroma in there, especially for a summer fragrance.

11th January, 2008

Guayacan's avatar

Similar to minotaure, I would say this it the minotaure for older guys. Buy minotaure if you're 20-35 and roma uomo if you're 35 + . Roma is vanilla based and spicier than minotaure. I perceive minotaure a bit sweeter.

12th December, 2007

Tony K's avatar

Another one of my favorites. The vanilla, tangerine, grapefruit combo is out of this world. I buy this constantly in fear that they will someday discontinue it. Please Ms.Biagiotti, or Procter & Gamble, have mercy, and keep this in production...

09th December, 2007

tarant's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

I love it very much. It's fresh and very male. It has a Mediterranean touch. It reminds me a little bit of pipe tobacco.

05th June, 2007