Reviews of Royall Lyme by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Find out more about Royall Lyme by Royall Lyme of Bermuda in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

dreese's avatar

Every comment here has it nailed pretty well; a very nice, refreshing lime on top of some musk. Disappears so quickly, I cannot endorse it as being worth the price.

21st December, 2013

delborrell's avatar

Wonderful lime blast

Rich and sweet aroma of sun-ripened tropical limes. Very refreshing after a good shave -- tightens the skin nicely, leaving it very smooth. Puts me in a good mood in the morning. One of my favorite aftershaves, particularly in the warmer months. My only disappointment is its sub-par longevity. Still, a wonderful product.

Pros: Aromatic, soothing
    Cons: Sub-par longevity

18 June, 2013

Grottola's avatar

A wonderful refreshing lime that actually smells like limes, albeit sugared. It only lasts for 15 minutes or so, but I still love it.

A bit of Bay oil in the drydown.

08 February, 2011

MoonDog's avatar

I recently purchased a bottle of this and Royall Mandarin online. It is nothing like the original that I used to get from friends returning from Bermuda. The original Royal Lyme was a rich, slightly green lotion with a very limey smell. This is a clear liquid with a much more complex composition. It's fairly good as a general purpose lotion and leaves a nice residual fragrance after it dries. It will probably be a nice lotion to use after bathing during the summer months. The Royall Mandarin smells only slightly different. I wonder what ever happened to the original Royal Lyme. I imagine that it was much more expensive to make than this present version of the lotion. It's disappointing that the original lotion is no longer available.

28 March, 2009

Asha's avatar

Royall Lyme of Bermuda Royall Lyme

True to its name, Royall Lyme starts with a strong lime blast. It is refreshing--fruity and juicy without being candy-like. It evokes all parts of a lime, the aromatic rind, the juice and the pulp. I would not say it is sweet necessarily, but a balance of sweet, tart and bitter. The juicy part of the opening fades rather quickly, but the bitter lime rind lingers, and is joined by subtle spices (clove, cinnamon), bay, and sweet resins (benzoin). Eventually, RL starts to take on a dry floral powder note which I would guess to be orris. From time to time, I catch whiffs of lime rind, which adds a pleasant, slightly sour edge. I have only tried one other Royall fragrance, and with RL, I am starting to see that this house tends to produce non-fussy, straightforward and classic cologne water. Royall seems to have a house base which consists of resins, bay and spices with faintly present floral notes. It is very pleasant, and is fresh and clean smelling without being soapy. The bay note does add a "barbershop" sense to the composition, but in RL, the bay is quite subdued. This is preferable since to my nose, bay can easily hijack a fragrance--as a single note it is strong and long-lasting, so I appreciate the deft use of it in RL. RL was originally intended for men, but its overall balance of fruit, floral and muted bay/resin base makes this very wearable for a woman. As with most cologne waters, the longevity is rather poor, but most of these types of scents were intended as an after bath or after shave freshener. Total development took 3-4 hours, and the deep drydown is soft bay, benzoin and a bit of sweet powder.

17 January, 2009

Royall Lyme begins with a clear, sweet, and sharp lime note – so enjoyable and refreshing. That lime note is about all there is to fragrance – but it’s a superb lime note. It does have that tiny bit of disinfectant that Naed_Nitram refers to, and it does have the aura of candy. Lime is my favorite citrus scent, and Royall certainly knows how to present it. Royall Lyme is a splash and has even less longevity than most splashes. It lasts about twenty minutes on my skin, but it’s a great scent while it lasts.

23 August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Jolly Rancher lime. I never liked those. I was a cherry guy. This fragrance last just about as long as a Jolly Rancher, too. Still, a good blast of lime but that's it.

13 August, 2008

Stu's avatar

I recall my uncle wearing this as a kid growing up and so I have fond memories of it. I've owned it in the past and still like it although I don't think it has that long of a staying power but it's still overall a great scent. I will take EricM's advise and try St. John's Bay Lime which I've heard of but have never tried.

15 April, 2008

jdnba's avatar

lime hard candy. nuff said

27 December, 2007

Cipriano's avatar

While this is definately a high quality cologne water, it represents terrible value. Other splashes of similar (or better) quality and longevity retail for roughly $1.00 or less per ounce. I am thinking of Aqua Lavanda, Old Spice or Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. This retails for about $7.00 per ounce. Yes the bottle is nice, but not that nice. While $28 doesn't seem like a fortune, it will once you see the quantity you have to apply in order to smell it 15 minutes later. I don't regret buying a Royall product, however, I'm afraid the cost will keep me away in the future.

13 February, 2007

Naed_Nitram's avatar

I can see why Royall Lyme is justly famous. An honest opening of sharp, cool, tangy lime develops, as the fragrance warms on the skin, to a warmer, mellower note of lime. this must feel wonderful to splash on yourself in very hot climates and is very wearable anywhere. If it has a slight air of disinfectant plus lime candy about it, this is not offensively so. could be longer lasting.

31st August, 2005

dcampen's avatar

A citrus scent but with a pervasive, cloyingly sweet note. Not my cup of tea.

19 November, 2004

EricM's avatar

A good lime scent. Smells like lime and vodka. Not a lot of spice in this lime mixture, just a hint. Duration is not bad considering it's a citrus scent.
    St. John's Bay Lime is more spicy and the lime in it is more prevalent. This (Royall)is more subdued. Great scent for the beach, or when out and about in the heat.

28 April, 2003