Positive Reviews of Sander for Men by Jil Sander

Find out more about Sander for Men by Jil Sander in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

MrMookie's avatar

the ideal gift

One of the most friendly scents around, if you need to buy someone a new cologne (for a man) and you dont know which one to take because scents are very personal, pick this.

The dislike score is low everybody likes it in his own way.

At fragrantica 203 voted this scent as Like/love and no dislikes.and one member here at basenotes dislikes it on the review spot.

That must say something.

Its a very pleasant, fresh, integer but softspicy comfortable scent.
    Not mystical, not dark, not playing games with your nose and mind.
    Just a good and comfy fragrance which is often from time to time a good one to pick.

Sillage/projection is average to good
    Longevity is ok
    Good for office or day in the park wearing very versatile and.

Pros: Versatile,casual and office friendly
    Cons:

03 September, 2013

capital's avatar

I disagree with those who say it is too powerful. I find it to have a very light touch, probably too light actually. But the scent is very enjoyable and safe.

14 January, 2013

bluesaffron's avatar

Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabia

This is not a bad cologne, but not very bold or distinctive. A bit of a powdery talcum scent to it, and relatively light. It's a good choice for daily wear, but there are many better colognes out there.

24 August, 2012

realceltic's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Sander for men is absolutly perfect...Forget another one,you can use everytime in year.Good work...I recommend really to everyone...superior-fresh-spicy-floral-fmasculen...8,7/10

26 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2011)

puregraphite's avatar

This is such a nice fragrance to wear. Very charming. I get a lot of compliments when wearing this one. Don't spray too much of it. A whiff or two and you're good to go.

03 October, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Aromatic and fresh FiFi winner. Not a bad scent.

I keep getting this cold, and metallic citrus smell out of it. It doesn’t make it actually bad, but it makes the structure very sharp, thin and eventually even quite cheap smelling.

Spiciness is close to being nostril burningly harsh. Woods are very watery; makes me think of long soaked driftwood now drifted to the shore.

The thing I like most in this is the strange and oddly unreachable exotic general tone. That’s why it’s kind of hard to keep my nose out of my wrist. It smells mysterious in the end, very familiar and yet so misty at the same time.

Good stuff, but I don’t personally need a bottle mainly because of that tendency to make my nose sting.

03 February, 2009

Tony T's avatar

the spicy middle note and the base notes of incense and myrrh are magical. very unique scent. i would not say (green) but a very romantic and uncasual scent. wear this one out with your lady friend to get her in the mood.

26 August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

I have a freaky trifecta thing going on with this one and two other scents. When I wear Sander for Man, I feel like I'm wearing Guiice pour Homme II or Hugo Dark Blue. I love the note in all three that they seemingly have in common. My guess it's a combination of mint and incense/myrrh. I like all three equally (and they all have the same juice color).

Sander for Man has a nice sweet but cutting scent with a mint of mint that fades. Very casual and likable.

30th May, 2008

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Reminds me of a fresh pack of minty gum, only it is accompanied by some pepper and some sweetness. Definately unique.

26 December, 2006

Fresh and green opening—quite a vegetal feel to it. I get more ivy than mint, and I don’t get very much spice—the whole accord is invigoratingly and uniquely green. Immediately rising from the base is a clean cypress note supporting the ivy and adding more dimension and aromatics to the greenness. When the touch of incense begins to rise up from the base, the whole fragrance takes a turn — it begins to get an other worldly feeling to it, and, together with the wood from the base, forms a rich and rather exotic platform for the higher vibrancy greens that continue to dominate. A one-of-a-kind scent, which, as others have pointed out, has a very urban feel to it, and it’s the urban feel that allows it to get away with the synthetic undertones of the ivy, which is a very difficult note to employ in a fragrance. I enjoy Sander for Men: This is a unique and creative fragrance, tinged with mystique; it has strong sillage, but it is wearable, and it boasts almost supernatural longevity (Obviously! Oberon would require that.)

29 August, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2008)

mtbvince's avatar

Quite simply a divine fragrance which works well as both a daytime and an evening scent, depending on how much you spray on. I absolutely love it, it is one of the most distinctive modern 'urban' fragrances available in my view, an intense fusion of notes which combine in quietly masculine way. The bottle and packaging are a treat too. It seems to be getting easier to get hold of - I notice Harvey Nicolls stock it - so there's no excuse not to try it!

24 January, 2006

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

To me this doesn't seem quite as original as the others think. Sander for men is a sympathetic fusion of coriander, cedar and Chanel's Allure. It really resembles that fragrance but it's lighter, less cloying and without the tonka-bonanza. It does last well, and gives the wearer a distinctively urban feeling. An enjoyable modern eau de toilette.

28 September, 2005

Naed_Nitram's avatar

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'It was in the forest of Fontainbleu that I first encountered Sander for Men. It appeared magically by my right elbow as I lay reclining against a tree. I knew immediately that I was in fairyland. Judicious application to both wrists served only to confirm this impression. "Messieurs and mesdames," I intoned to myself, "dear hearts, wunderkind, there is a quirky, delicate, elusive quality to this fragrance that distinguishes it from others of this ilk, from the run of the mill of modern airy scents that bespeak all too often only of sythetic scenarios lacking any real heart or mystery." Whilst I was thus nodding my approval, an ancient peasant hobbled by. When he was almost out of sight, he turned, winked and waved, transmuting into a being of beauty. It was, of course, Oberon, indisputable King of the Fairies.'

04 August, 2005

AtinayBoy's avatar

I tend to agree with Paul on being uncertain on this one. Considering the list of ingredients, it seems sweeter and more fruity to me than the ingredients would lead me to believe. That is not necessarily a bad thing tho. It has a nice sort of sharpish mid note that tingles the nose, and dries down fairly soft and unobtrusively. It is a good scent in that I haven't found much like it out there on the market.

26 March, 2004

Paul G's avatar

I go back and forth on this scent. One minute I wonder what I was thinking and other times I think it's one of the cooler scents out there. It's also one of the more potent scents I've ever encountered. It lasts forever. It's intensely woody and spicy. I think of it more as a cool spring/summer night scent. It's very well made and you'll definitely stand out wearing it.

14 April, 2003