Negative Reviews of Santos by Cartier

I'm not really enjoying this one. It kicks off with a fairly standard woody chypre smell, but drenched in nutmeg. Given a few minutes, it dies down to hay-ish tobacco with a buzz of very chemical-smelling lavender on top. Eventually, as the lavender sharpness fades, I'm left with the smell of lumber mixed with old newspapers. Finally, a very oily, almost gasoline-smelling chypre base comes in.

Aside from the topnotes, I just haven't found Santos very pleasant. That buzzing fake lavender and the gasoline fumes are bad enough, but when fuzed with nutmeg, they take on a weird quality, like something delicious that's been laced with poison. I don't know how else to describe it - I just don't like it.
13th April, 2015
Trying a sample of this over the past 120 minutes, simply gauging its relative strength along with three other newly acquired scents. Trouble is, I've reapplied yet another decent dose of Santos three separate times, and still, it is being forced into whimpering non-noticeable submission by the three other scents, all of which were applied only once, as well as the three being classified as light, sporty type scents. An earlier reviewer claimed the reformulated version of Santos to have been a product of disembowelment from an original version. Almost certainly, that is truth. The initial smell, all 15 minutes worth, conjures a rich spicy goodness that must have once been a scrumptious pleasure to behold. Ahh, but now? Reduced to an utter tease.
04th March, 2014
The old formula was one of the best fragances ever... and lasts 24 hours.

The new formulation it's horrible and lasts about 15 minutes on my skin.
Cheaper and awful.

I will never buy a fragrance from Cartier.

For me, this is a DISASTER!!!!
07th April, 2012

There is a difference between old-fashioned and out-dated, and to me Santos definitely falls in the latter category..

Seriously..this smells like it belongs in a different geological era entirely..

Inexplicable to me how this may be worn today
06th June, 2011 (last edited: 12th June, 2011)
very strong that is awful .... i sprayed a little on my hand and i could not wait for long to wash it off ....
18th January, 2009
I tried both the regular and concentrée versions of Santos. Counter-intuitively, I find that I don’t like the regular but can appreciate the concentrée. That is because of the role of patchouli and how it is treated in each version. In the regular version, patchouli dominates. Perhaps in concert with the juniper, I get a most vile scent! To me, it seems quite obnoxious. Pungent, sweet, metallic in an “airy” style, medicinal, harsh, perfumed, pongy, irritating. Tangy cheese? Something going dodgy on an aluminum plate in the hot sun? Stinky sneakers in an old gym locker? You get the picture. This one doesn’t work on my skin, folks. End of story.
03rd September, 2008
I ordered a sample of this not long ago but I don't like it much. It has a synthetic smell like Drakkar Noir. Even after dry down I didn't care for it. I recommend other Cartier scents like Musk De Cartier over this one.
02nd March, 2004
Absolutely VILE! I took one whiff and it nearly knocked me out. I expected something along the lines of Aramis which is strong but good for older gentleman. It's just plain horrible. Terribly overpowering. I can't believe such a fantastic jewelry maker could create such a dreadful fragrance. To be used only by balding, middle aged, shark suit wearing used car salesman.
04th December, 2003