Negative Reviews of Santos by Cartier

Find out more about Santos by Cartier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Mr. Nosenaught's avatar

Trying a sample of this over the past 120 minutes, simply gauging its relative strength along with three other newly acquired scents. Trouble is, I've reapplied yet another decent dose of Santos three separate times, and still, it is being forced into whimpering non-noticeable submission by the three other scents, all of which were applied only once, as well as the three being classified as light, sporty type scents. An earlier reviewer claimed the reformulated version of Santos to have been a product of disembowelment from an original version. Almost certainly, that is truth. The initial smell, all 15 minutes worth, conjures a rich spicy goodness that must have once been a scrumptious pleasure to behold. Ahh, but now? Reduced to an utter tease.

04 March, 2014

drakecito's avatar

Spain Spain

The old formula was one of the best fragances ever... and lasts 24 hours.

The new formulation it's horrible and lasts about 15 minutes on my skin.
    Cheaper and awful.

I will never buy a fragrance from Cartier.

For me, this is a DISASTER!!!!

07 April, 2012

calnadur's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

There is a difference between old-fashioned and out-dated, and to me Santos definitely falls in the latter category..

Seriously..this smells like it belongs in a different geological era entirely..

Inexplicable to me how this may be worn today

06 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 June, 2011)

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

very strong that is awful .... i sprayed a little on my hand and i could not wait for long to wash it off ....

18 January, 2009

odysseusm's avatar

I tried both the regular and concentrée versions of Santos. Counter-intuitively, I find that I don’t like the regular but can appreciate the concentrée. That is because of the role of patchouli and how it is treated in each version. In the regular version, patchouli dominates. Perhaps in concert with the juniper, I get a most vile scent! To me, it seems quite obnoxious. Pungent, sweet, metallic in an “airy” style, medicinal, harsh, perfumed, pongy, irritating. Tangy cheese? Something going dodgy on an aluminum plate in the hot sun? Stinky sneakers in an old gym locker? You get the picture. This one doesn’t work on my skin, folks. End of story.

03 September, 2008

Mr._Longrove's avatar

I ordered a sample of this not long ago but I don't like it much. It has a synthetic smell like Drakkar Noir. Even after dry down I didn't care for it. I recommend other Cartier scents like Musk De Cartier over this one.

02 March, 2004

chris_cologne's avatar

Absolutely VILE! I took one whiff and it nearly knocked me out. I expected something along the lines of Aramis which is strong but good for older gentleman. It's just plain horrible. Terribly overpowering. I can't believe such a fantastic jewelry maker could create such a dreadful fragrance. To be used only by balding, middle aged, shark suit wearing used car salesman.

04 December, 2003