Reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

Find out more about parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Heavenly Bliss

I love it. It has the M7 thing going on but amped up. very boozy/woody scent.Agarwood but not just agarwood (Chinese) gives it a real kicker. also some mahogany added for a fuller,longer lasting scent. Oud is not mentioned but I believe it's in here.. Too bad I only have a decant.. better for cooler weather ..

Pros: One of a kind
    Cons: strange"

27 August, 2013

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

I'm getting a lot of booze in the top notes of this one, like a straight, peaty scotch just for a minute or two. Soon the actual notes arrive, and initially it's smooth, sweet wood. Not the usual woods + vanilla masculine oriental type, and not the CdG harsh, dry woods with a blast of smoke, but somewhere nicely in the middle. There's just enough resinous sap to remind you of a real conifer tree, but it's not like some scents where a bully at summer camp shoves your face into the side of a pine tree. Unless I'm fatigued from too much reviewing, there's surprisingly little here. It's not that strong, but it doesn't need to be because it's just a big tree, not a stick of incense burning in a monastery that demands your full spiritual contemplation. There's some sweetness, but not too much; it's still well within the territory of mainstream masculine wood scents, like Rocabar decided to lay off the sugary christmas cookies. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that there are a lot of things that Sequoia *isn't*, because it's just a pretty tree in the woods. The simplicity of sweet wood is somewhat of a relief before I try and conquer their Incense series, and now I understand why this was put in the Red series: because like Palisander, it's about quiet, happy warmth.

04 April, 2013

leto's avatar
    leto
    Turkey Turkey

I am surprised that nobody mentioned that this is very reminiscent of Jubilation XXV. A good one but not original at all. Great performance for the price.

13 March, 2013

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

I see there is rum in there, and perhaps that would be the cause of what I was considering the "whiskey" smell. Of course, there is a type of oud in there, and that could assist in the "whiskey" smell. Unfortunately I don't drink enough to sort this out properly, I don't have any rum, my whiskey is sealed, and vodka and scotch won't help. My liqueur cabinet stinks. It could also be interpreted as "pimento," but not quite as foody.

Anyway, besides this bitter and intriguing note that will last forever on clothes but be absorbed immediately on skin, this is a forest in a bottle. As art, it's very nice. As a wearable scent, it's interesting but unsatisfying. Of course, my tastes lean towards gourmand and other nearly edible sweet and delicious scents, so consider that with this review.

06 March, 2012

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

A light, non-intrusive woody composition that shows the CDG's fingerprints all over. A sligh boozy accord of rum and woods (mainly cedar) joined by spices and some patchouli (?). Hints of oud somewhere, incense and other resinous notes with just a tad of sweetness. The cedarwood is just perfect, never sharp or overdone. Overall Sequoia has a consistent body but avoids the typical heaviness of other conpositions in the same vein and it's a perfect candidate for anyone who's looking for an easy-wear with a good amount of character. Moderate lasting power.

Sequoia is pretty linear but masterfully executed. Thoroughly enjoyable and most of all, immediately recognizable.

07 December, 2011

LushLife's avatar
    LushLife

This one smelled so fantastic on a card I couldn't wait to get it on my skin. Sequoia doesn't just offer a forest notes, it brings all the details of a huge redwood tree. I agree with dynendal's review; it really does an excellent job of capturing the essence and smell of the redwood.

...until it hits your skin. Within 5 minutes it became the most horrible, medicinal smell. I couldn't stomach it, I had to wash it off immediately! So much potential from the bottle, so horrible on skin. I liked CdG Kyoto, and it worked well on me. But this one was horrific, smelled like floor cleaner once applied.

29 April, 2011

almasinti's avatar
    almasinti

I don't really know what sequoia smells like but this has a definite resinous, coniferous quality. It smells fine but I do not feel that it is a smell to be worn as a personal scent. It has no warmth or personality, and is one dimensional. It also lasts on clothes 24 hours or more, but wears short on the nose, i.e. I got tired of smelling it quickly. Whatever else is in this adds sweetness and depth, but no real personality. It is one-dimensional and does not evolve.

27 March, 2011

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

A nuanced study of the olfactory scentscape in a coniferous woods. Rather evocative if you've been to one and pleasantly uplifting even if you haven't. My only gripe is its lack of projection and staying power as a wearable scent.

28 March, 2010

JonB's avatar
    JonB

In order of impact: Boozy, sweet, spicy, woodsy/resinous. Nothing overdone.Very nice. Good longevity. Lays fairly close to the skin, though I can smell it all day. Comes in a big bottle; way more than I will ever use.

08 September, 2009

YouCanCallMeMo's avatar
    YouCanCallMeMo

Wow....what a sharp, fresh blast of pine and cedar! Very foresty...I like to put a little on before bed, and then sleep with a breeze from the window....it's like camping, but without the bugs and dirt and with a comfy bed and indoor plumbing! A win! Great smelling fragrance for people who aren't fans of "perfumey" fragrance, as it's very natural and organic smelling.

31st May, 2009

dynendal's avatar
    dynendal

Oh wow, completely blown away by this! I really love the smell of cedar and wood, and CdG has two EXCEPTIONALLY strong fragrances in the "pure wood" category - Monocle: Hinoki, and this, Sequoia. Between the two, though, I choose Sequoia. Why?

To begin with, envision a boozed-up red-plaid-clad lumberjack in the Great Redwood Forests of California, standing in front of the oldest and tallest tree he can find. He takes one last swig of his syrupy Rum, buckles down, and whacks the tree over with his axe in one fell swoop. Imagine the smell emanating from the freshly-cut Redwood Giant. THIS is what Sequoia is - the top notes are slightly sweet and alcoholic but you are hit with wood VERY quickly after. The metaphorical boozed-up lumberjack has basically handed you a log from the middle of this giant redwood and you will be carrying this smelly delight around all day.

The very interesting aspect of this fragrance, however, is that it smells different but STILL like Redwoods no matter where you apply it. If you apply it at the top of your wrists it will be like walking through a forest of freshly-cut Redwood. Apply it to your pulse point on your wrists, though, and you will be treated to an olfactory experience that VERY closely resembles a warm, cozy fireplace burning cedar logs. I don't know if they planned this or not, but I love using it to my advantage.

The bottle is incredibly endearing and feels very well-planned even though the design is simplistic.

As for Hinoki, the experience is like getting hit in the head with a giant wood block, but that's NOT a bad thing! The "wood" quotient is a lot higher in it, but I think in the long run that affects wearability (even though the sillage and longevity are staggering). This is where Sequoia shines. Sequoia was very much made to be worn by wood-lovers yet still produces great sillage and longevity.

All in all, this is now one of my signature scents. I've been searching for something like this for so long, and now I've found it.

26 November, 2008

Tubereuse's avatar
    Tubereuse

Now this was a head-scratcher. I sniffed several times, and I smelled the notes in an exact sharp-smooth pattern. Interesting roller-coaster ride, but I don't like it. It just got worse as it dried down through a type of mothball astringency. Oh well. I liked Palisander much better.
    Even though my initial reaction was neutral, I probably won't be keeping the sample, even for reference.

18 November, 2008

Rinzai's avatar
    Rinzai
    Finland Finland

Now, I've been looking for a frag with heavy dose of agarwood (aloeswood, jinko, oudh) and this has the most natural elements of most - usually jinko is used in distilled oil-form in perfumery and that actually distorts the actual 'sound' of jinko that's being burned.
    Having heavy pepperminty pine/vetiver tones right on top support well the somewhat mossy, soily jinko-notes that ooze up after some 20-30 mins.
    So this is my chosen one for everyday use, i want to be identified with this frag!
    As said above this scent has little or nothing to do with the beautiful Montale ouds - whole different approach. What comes near is CdG Tea; smoky, resiny forest fire residue.

06 November, 2008

PigeonMurderer's avatar
    PigeonMurderer
    Finland Finland

Oh boy, this is SO CLOSE to being something exceptionally good. So close.
    But unfortunetly I end up thinking that this is again just another "very nice" fragrance - and that`s about it.
    I love the notes and the concept, but like I said, to my nose it fails for being anything special at the end. I guess I would have liked to see heavier agarwood note in this to give it some edge. More that oomph! overall.
    Now this is just a nice, sweet and red smelling blend of woods and rum; a bit too bland and boring for my tastes. It doesn`t that long either.

If this were produced in EdP form with higher agarwood concentration, I would probably be all into it.

13 September, 2008

lizzie_j's avatar
    lizzie_j

Unlike other reviewers, I get lots of wood. In fact I get Sequoiadendron Giganteum, the California Giant Redwood! So much so that I fell like I'm planted down right in the middle of John Muir State Park when I sniff this, surrounded by a Giant Redwood grove. Yes, there are some rotting wood notes (what grove would be complete without some fallen giants?) and some fermented boozy and concentrated resinous notes. But this is all part of the forest. Just great! I think this should be the official California State Fragrance! (Oooh that give me an idea for a thread!)

21st August, 2008

Aiona's avatar
    Aiona

What an unusual perfume! At first, it's all cedar. But not just any cedar, it's cedar that's damp and almost rotting. Other reviewers have mentioned "vinegar" and "sweat." And it does smell very much like. . . sweat. It makes me think of lactic acid. Incomplete glycolysis. And perhaps that's what gives it the sweaty gym clothes smell. There's also patchouli in the opening. Ugh. I don't like patchouli. And a fecal-like smell. Could that be the oud?

I really didn't think I could brave this one out, but luckily, its sillage is next to nil. It's not a sillage monster on me. Even though I could smell the fecal smell up close, no one else could. I'm sure of that.

What's interesting is that by 4 hours later, all those sweaty, smelly gym clothes are gone, and someone has laundered them in a really nice-smelling detergent. How did it do that? Amazing! And this nice, clean scent lasted all day, and well into the next morning -- a good 20 hours.

18 July, 2008

beltz's avatar
    beltz

An average woody/forest scent that does not have much sillage. You will forget you are wearing it and even up close, I found it hard to tell if I liked it because I could barely smell it.

16 July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

A boozy wood that smells a lot like honey and incense. Very strong and nice but wouldn't wear it.

11th July, 2008

Jemimagold's avatar
    Jemimagold

Just as I was gingerly coming out of my citrus/floral comfort zone, Sequoia whacked me back in with wooden bat! I've recently begun exploring the Comme des Garcons line and fell in love with Ourzazate and deeply admire Jaisalmer so I thought Sequoia would be a piece of cake. Well, it is not.

Sequoia is evidently meant to appeal to a small, artsy sector of Perfumistas that want to smell unusual and different. In fact, Sequoia would be a perfect accompaniment to Comme des Garcon's austere clothes. It is definitely not a fragrance I would ever want to wear. The fragrance has an odd high-pitched, almost metallic smell that could be headache inducing if the juice were liberally applied. The woody "sequoia" note is present in what I think of as a vinegary note. In fact, I get that same spicy vinegary smell in Diptyque's Eau Lente. Lastly, given its heavy, woody qualities, Sequoia is probably more suitable for men than women.

Here are the notes, per The Perfumed Court: red rum, opoponax, kara-karounde from Guinea, Chinese agarwood and mahogany.

19 June, 2008

moltening's avatar
    moltening
    Thailand Thailand

On my skin, this is extremely boozy (sweet rum), slightly woody, and with just the right amount of spices. This isn't "redwood," but instead bits of wood that is sprinkled on an exotic red cocktail of rum and spices.

This is going straight to my wishlist. Despite being named Sequoia, note that wood does not take the spotlight, so if you're expecting a good ol' woody-wood fragrance -- you're in for a disappointment.

Overall, it is a very addicting and magnetic scent with loads of character.

Bottleworthy? Yes please. =)

05 June, 2008

Lorenzzo88's avatar
    Lorenzzo88

that is one big holy cedar you got there
    deep rich
    sweet dry liquorous
    warm n spicy
    sweaty/manly
    H-U-G-E patchouli C-E-D-A-R
    perfect balance with big round dry red cedar-like wood-patchouli and the boosy amber (oppoponax/red rum)
    meanwhile, I don't realy get the aoud or agar wood at all
    perhaps somewear in the support notes of the red wood...or something something
    kaka karoundé, where are you, what do you look like
    I dont know, I got lost in the woods
    in a forest of giant trees and got drunk with my bottle of capt'n morgan spicy rum

I tried the 1ml sample I got and emptied the half of it on my chest, arms and neck the other day just to see the developement and how it reacts to me.
    BIG, I mean Huge surprise.
    I did'nt know what to expect from the fragrance from liquorous boosy oppening that drag you in something deep and mesmerizing not much later. the following simply blew me away
    as soon as you reach the heart notes (as far as i'm concerned) you are envelopped in a vibrant aura of deep amber and big round red cedar and patchouli
    the balance is just perfect (from what i've experienced)
    as a rule, i'm not a fan of amber, but this one is just pure delight
    lasted a whole day on me even with a good dose of street hockey
    good silliage too
    this is so suprising since pretty much nothing lasts on my dry and pale skin
    by the way, if you like ultra weird/funky/unique smelling comme des garcon's, you may be deceived
    but, if you like big deep round earthy woods, boosy amber and bittersweetness you have to try this one
    althought this is not quite relevant, I just could not see a feminine woman wear this, it sceams masculinity a little too loud imo
    stiil perfect for a cold winter of cool autumn day or evenings all year long.
    even if the notes listed calls for something very deep and capiteux if I might say, it is very wearable and somehow very pleasent and satisfying, although it took me a little while to be able to enjoy it on me if I can speak as a personal experience.
    still, you don't have to be a perfume addict to be able to enjoy it.
    well well, that is pretty much all I had to say
    enjoy

31st May, 2008

markc's avatar
    markc

I like it (hence the thumbs up), but wish it projected more, and wish I got more wood out of it. It is very sweet as some have mentioned. I really don't think it is named very well. I would love to have something that evokes the redwood forest among the giant sequoias but this one just isn't it.

21st November, 2007

iMaverick's avatar
    iMaverick

Similar in tone with Kyoto, fresh and woodsy, but a tad richer. There's a hay like note with what smells like a certain middle grade of oudh. Its Zen like simplicity is what gives this scent character. Average longevity on me which was a letdown considering what you pay for a CDG fragrance.

21st October, 2007

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

I have substantially revised my earlier review. In order to understand Sequoia, you need to understand and appreciate the contribution of agarwood (aka oud). Oud is a tricky, complex scent: it can be tangy, medicinal, earthy, sharply pungent. Sequoia is a really interesting combination of sweet booze, cedar, and oud. These three elements appear and reappear throughout the scent’s duration. The red rum gives a tipple-y note. The cedar is excellent: it is very woody and true to type. Cedar chests and old forests come to mind. Oud gives a bracing, heady, at times other-worldly quality that is unique. Other sites say that opopanax also is an ingredient. That is a resin with musky, juniper-like tones. All in all, this is a fascinating scent!

26 June, 2007 (Last Edited: 29 May, 2008)

mikeperez23's avatar
    mikeperez23

I got very little wodd/cedar notes from this, very confusing on my skin. There was spice (maybe its the rum notes?) and perhaps tree sap (very light sap notes) that dried down to a lemony softness a little too quickly.

06 April, 2007

Oviatt's avatar
    Oviatt

The dominant redwood note is beautiful: resious, crisp, woody. There is a gourmand note lurking just beneath the surface that reminds me of... scalloped potatoes? Yes, there I am, in the most beautiful redwood forest, about to be served a potato side dish. Yosemite meets Betty Crocker. As wonderful as the sequoia note is, I have to ask myself, do I want to go around smelling of scalloped potatoes? (The answer is "no")

04 February, 2007

robyogi's avatar
    robyogi

I guess I was expecting more from this than it could deliver. It's woodsy, crisp, coniferous, yes. The smell of it reminds me very much of the cedar chips that you can buy in big bags to line rabbit and hamster cages. Just a little too linear and straightforward for my tastes. And a touch "synthetic." And as seems to be the case with many CdG fragrances, one-dimensional. I'm not sure what that means, except that they seem to show one facet, and that facet is often only skin deep (the Incense line is a glaring exception to this tendency).

12 November, 2006

madridbatabidd's avatar
    madridbatabidd
    Spain Spain

I quite like it. It´s raw, very raw, like just cutted wood but there´s something there, sweet, sweeter as drydown, i dont reconize it, that make me put neutral vote. I don´t think suit both sex, i find it more oriental fragance for woman:(

10th November, 2006

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

I already love Palisander, so I was bound to love Sequoia too. It's sweeter than Palisander, I could swear there's honey in it, but at the same time cooler. Cool like freshly cut, moist logs outdoors and coolly sweet like trickling tree sap. A little boozy too, but that could be the strong, intoxicating scent of fresh wood and tree resin and sap. It has hints of sawdust too, I'm definitely thinking of a sawmill rather than a forest. I know none of the exotic woods in it but to me it might just as well be a Swedish sawmill with pine, fir and birch. Lovely!

05 October, 2006

Mario Justiniani's avatar
    Mario Justiniani
    Cuba Cuba

The long lost grandson of Santa Maria Novella's Peau D'Espagna.

24 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)