Neutral Reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

Find out more about parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

I am surprised that nobody mentioned that this is very reminiscent of Jubilation XXV. A good one but not original at all. Great performance for the price.

13 March, 2013

Sunsetspawn's avatar

I see there is rum in there, and perhaps that would be the cause of what I was considering the "whiskey" smell. Of course, there is a type of oud in there, and that could assist in the "whiskey" smell. Unfortunately I don't drink enough to sort this out properly, I don't have any rum, my whiskey is sealed, and vodka and scotch won't help. My liqueur cabinet stinks. It could also be interpreted as "pimento," but not quite as foody.

Anyway, besides this bitter and intriguing note that will last forever on clothes but be absorbed immediately on skin, this is a forest in a bottle. As art, it's very nice. As a wearable scent, it's interesting but unsatisfying. Of course, my tastes lean towards gourmand and other nearly edible sweet and delicious scents, so consider that with this review.

06 March, 2012

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

A nuanced study of the olfactory scentscape in a coniferous woods. Rather evocative if you've been to one and pleasantly uplifting even if you haven't. My only gripe is its lack of projection and staying power as a wearable scent.

28 March, 2010

Tubereuse's avatar

Now this was a head-scratcher. I sniffed several times, and I smelled the notes in an exact sharp-smooth pattern. Interesting roller-coaster ride, but I don't like it. It just got worse as it dried down through a type of mothball astringency. Oh well. I liked Palisander much better.
    Even though my initial reaction was neutral, I probably won't be keeping the sample, even for reference.

18 November, 2008

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Oh boy, this is SO CLOSE to being something exceptionally good. So close.
    But unfortunetly I end up thinking that this is again just another "very nice" fragrance - and that`s about it.
    I love the notes and the concept, but like I said, to my nose it fails for being anything special at the end. I guess I would have liked to see heavier agarwood note in this to give it some edge. More that oomph! overall.
    Now this is just a nice, sweet and red smelling blend of woods and rum; a bit too bland and boring for my tastes. It doesn`t that long either.

If this were produced in EdP form with higher agarwood concentration, I would probably be all into it.

13 September, 2008

Aiona's avatar

What an unusual perfume! At first, it's all cedar. But not just any cedar, it's cedar that's damp and almost rotting. Other reviewers have mentioned "vinegar" and "sweat." And it does smell very much like. . . sweat. It makes me think of lactic acid. Incomplete glycolysis. And perhaps that's what gives it the sweaty gym clothes smell. There's also patchouli in the opening. Ugh. I don't like patchouli. And a fecal-like smell. Could that be the oud?

I really didn't think I could brave this one out, but luckily, its sillage is next to nil. It's not a sillage monster on me. Even though I could smell the fecal smell up close, no one else could. I'm sure of that.

What's interesting is that by 4 hours later, all those sweaty, smelly gym clothes are gone, and someone has laundered them in a really nice-smelling detergent. How did it do that? Amazing! And this nice, clean scent lasted all day, and well into the next morning -- a good 20 hours.

18 July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

A boozy wood that smells a lot like honey and incense. Very strong and nice but wouldn't wear it.

11th July, 2008

odysseusm's avatar

I have substantially revised my earlier review. In order to understand Sequoia, you need to understand and appreciate the contribution of agarwood (aka oud). Oud is a tricky, complex scent: it can be tangy, medicinal, earthy, sharply pungent. Sequoia is a really interesting combination of sweet booze, cedar, and oud. These three elements appear and reappear throughout the scent’s duration. The red rum gives a tipple-y note. The cedar is excellent: it is very woody and true to type. Cedar chests and old forests come to mind. Oud gives a bracing, heady, at times other-worldly quality that is unique. Other sites say that opopanax also is an ingredient. That is a resin with musky, juniper-like tones. All in all, this is a fascinating scent!

26 June, 2007 (Last Edited: 29 May, 2008)

mikeperez23's avatar

I got very little wodd/cedar notes from this, very confusing on my skin. There was spice (maybe its the rum notes?) and perhaps tree sap (very light sap notes) that dried down to a lemony softness a little too quickly.

06 April, 2007

Oviatt's avatar

The dominant redwood note is beautiful: resious, crisp, woody. There is a gourmand note lurking just beneath the surface that reminds me of... scalloped potatoes? Yes, there I am, in the most beautiful redwood forest, about to be served a potato side dish. Yosemite meets Betty Crocker. As wonderful as the sequoia note is, I have to ask myself, do I want to go around smelling of scalloped potatoes? (The answer is "no")

04 February, 2007

robyogi's avatar

I guess I was expecting more from this than it could deliver. It's woodsy, crisp, coniferous, yes. The smell of it reminds me very much of the cedar chips that you can buy in big bags to line rabbit and hamster cages. Just a little too linear and straightforward for my tastes. And a touch "synthetic." And as seems to be the case with many CdG fragrances, one-dimensional. I'm not sure what that means, except that they seem to show one facet, and that facet is often only skin deep (the Incense line is a glaring exception to this tendency).

12 November, 2006

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

I quite like it. It´s raw, very raw, like just cutted wood but there´s something there, sweet, sweeter as drydown, i dont reconize it, that make me put neutral vote. I don´t think suit both sex, i find it more oriental fragance for woman:(

10th November, 2006

spider's avatar

not very interesting. was a big turnoff at first, then just sort of got boring. if you like clean, citrus/woody scents, it's worth a try. very soft. not a sharp clean smell.

28 December, 2004