Reviews of Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I walked into Creed Silver Mountain Water (1995) really wanting to hate it, because I kept seeing people talk about it being the "ck One (1994) for millionaires" and of all banal things, the subject of a particular YouTube reviewer calling it "how to steal someone's wife 101" which instantly put it into the "alphadudebro gonna be a stunner sick gains gotta get swole baller baller y'all" mentality which Aventus (2010) has sadly also fallen into. But, just like Aventus, I was pleasantly surprised that there was serious quality behind this, and originality that makes it very likeable to my nose. I totally understand why this draws in the typical over-privileged and under-disciplined dregs of toxic masculinity within corporate Western culture, as it is a real "stunner" as they'd say with sparkling fruity top notes and a crisp green finish that is more unisex than all the male collar-popping surrounding the fragrance may lead on. I get the reason this exists too, contrary to what Chad McAudiGym Esquire might think, as Creed after the initial 80's explosion from their own boutiques into high-end department stores began to market themselves as a cut above designers, not quite niche per se, just a "finer" option in the same stylistic vein as their "plebian" competition. Before they began re-writing their own backstory and jacking up prices to be the house you "graduate into", they really seemed to be trying to offer better takes on popular ideas, with this being their answer to the unisex craze of the 90's.

Silver Mountain Water opens with a gorgeous mandarin and bergamot; the top notes are nothing out of the ordinary for a fragrance made in this decade, but smell extraordinarily natural for what they are nonetheless, offering first glimpse of "better than the rest" I feel Creed was going for at the time, before the idea of being an aspirational house sank in too much with the marketing team. Quickly the juicy blackcurrant joins the already-sweet mandarin, and I'm surprised so many chauvinist guys actually like something this fruity and feminine. There's a green tea note here which mimics the popular Calvin Klein creation from the prior year, and sort of also sets the standard for the later Bvlgari scents which also depended heavily on either green or black teas. The development is just the right amount of aromatic to keep it gender-neutral after the flamboyant top settles down, and the dry sandalwood begins bridging this development of top and middle to the trademark Creed ambergris base. We find such a base also decorated with petitgrain, galbanum, and a synthetic white musk note which apparently even Creed wasn't above using in the 90's, which is okay because it works within the "fresh and fruity green citrus" theme of the airy verdant mountainside captured in aroma. Sillage can be a monster with this, as it is so piercingly sharp after the sweetness dies down, thanks to petitgrain and galbanum being base notes instead of top notes, so be easy on the trigger and make note that this has respectable winter legs for a freshie. Despite the lofty makings, Silver Mountain Water feels very casual to me, and not at all like something you'd wear only in high society, which is counter to the personality of a lot of other Creeds (including Aventus), so it's dare I say.. actually approachable from a house that doesn't usually like being seen as such.

Creed is not unilateral on their pricing, using popularity as justification for markup, and since this one is not quite as popular as it's biggest money makers (but also not the most obscure), you can get in the door for much less than many of the top-selling Creeds. Still, this one will cost uncomfortable amounts of cash for folks used to designers or discounter sales, meaning it isn't a blind buy despite my praise, so sample if you can or buy a decant from the many sellers who offer splits. Silver Mountain Water is an extremely unique and high-quality unisex fragrance, but only under the condition that you enjoy fruity smells, with a lot of citrus zing and green fizz, as the sandalwood here is just a faint wisp of a base note, and like the ambergris, appears only at the end when this is a skin scent. Sure, there are many other fruity 90's scents both masculine, feminine, and even unisex, and you could easily have a wardrobe of a half-dozen such scents for the price of this one, but if you really wanted just one, this isn't a bad choice if you're not feeling any Creed sticker shock. For collectors and enthusiasts who usually spend considerable coin on perfume anyway, this might be worth a look as one of the not-so-overexposed entries from the house, and Silver Mountain Water is one of my favorite 90's Creeds thus far, regardless of how basic the bros who also like it might be. If nothing else, this is at least worth a sniff for somebody desiring a freshie that is a cut above, and if you like this, you might also want to check out it's sequel, Virgin Island Water (2007), which takes this theme in a different direction. I can't guarantee how well Silver Mountain Water will help you with spouse stealing, but have fun trying, just don't come crying to me if you get hurt.
25th November, 2018
It's just okay.

I much prefer Xerjoff's take (Mefisto).
03rd November, 2018
Thumbs up because this is overall a beautiful scent. As a man, I would much prefer it on a woman, though. The origin of my appreciation for it probably comes from the fact that it smells so generally delicious that I can bear wearing it myself despite the clear femininity of it.

I don't think of a silver mountain or the water on that mountain when I wear this. This cologne is more grounded, reminiscent of a vineyard (the black currant maybe), a cup of tea (the green tea notes), but not an airy, pure mountain. These two notes keep it from reminding me of the cold, mountain water. It does have a fresh quality that is uplifting, but quickly subdued by the deeper, most likely feminine aspects.
30th September, 2018

boozy black tea.

I don't mind it.

Good performance for me.

8.5/10
17th February, 2018
Meh. I'm one of the "old" guys, I guess on this forum I guess. One after another, these "fresh" fragrances leave me cold. I wouldn't run in the other direction if someone were wearing this: I probably wouldn't notice anything special or awful. The name of this fragrance, Silver Mountain Water, must have come first because it seems the fragrance was built around the name. Apparently, whoever designed this fragrance imagined that "silvery" mountain water would smell like lemons and aluminum foil. Too astringent for me. Smells like the house after the housekeeper has cleaned it. Note: visit the Rockies, Alps, Himalayas and Sierra Nevadas if you're remotely interested in knowing what silver mountain water actually smells like. That, or change the name to Aluminum Mountain Water. Smelling this hurts my molars.
24th January, 2018
This was #2 terrible blind-buy.

Upon first sniff, I was certain I had a fake. So I bought a couple samples from different sources... same juice. So I got my hands on an NM tester... same juice.

Like with OS, I had to ask myself: What self-respecting house puts out something that smells like this, asking the prices they ask? Answer: there is none. Doubts grew, but not self-doubt. Kept OV but the rest went away and I climbed out the rabbit hole.

Beware when the rah rah boys turn up the volume. Be very aware!
18th December, 2017
this stuff is amazing. you can smell the quality at first sniff. must have in your collection!!!
08th November, 2017
Silver Mountain Water-surprised that more reviews don't touch upon the industrial cleaner / chemical blast / laundry detergent / shampoo vibe this throws out until the drydown. Considering the challenging and difficult scents that have been referenced in these hallowed hyper texts the cdg's, the nasomattos, the tauer's-I suspect it's just creed's branding that causes many to sidestep this very apparent and obvious facet of this scent. Silver Mountain Water is a sci-fi fresh male fragrance that evokes nature by means of referencing natural tones (peppered mandarin oranges, black currant, tea, down to the sandalwood/petitgrain base) without smelling natural at all - I agree with other reviewers that soapiness is not on the menu here but shampoo and conditioner and fabric softener are. I get all those natural notes-but the overall impression is one of a very synthetic, chemical potion all the way until deep in the dry down.

Unlike many others I don't have an issue with synthetic-just surprised no one has touched upon this as a breakthrough avant garde scent in the vein of other houses I've mentioned up top.
27th September, 2017 (last edited: 31st July, 2018)
tostig Show all reviews
SMW does not fit the profile of something I would normally like. I like woody and spicy and overtly masculine, and generally detest floral, feminine perfumes on myself or on other men. That said, I do like SMW and wear it often. SMW has been adequately described in other reviews here, so I won't rehash old territory, except to say that it does lean slightly to the feminine side of neutral. My wife wears it and I got her her own bottle so she'd stop hitting mine, and it smells great on her. It is truly unisex. It is also very floral, which is not generally my thing, but somehow those "inky" or "metallic" notes that others complain about work for me. Those notes temper the floral notes and produce something more interesting and wearable on my skin. I don't understand why some people adore Aventus and hate SMW. To me, SMW seems like the more interesting (though less masculine) fragrance; maybe it's just the gender aspect that rubs people the wrong way. I find longevity and projection very Aventus-like, 2-3 hours of "wow I can really smell it" followed by a few more hours of grinding my nose into my wrist to see if I can still smell it, followed by nothing. I give it an 8.5 out of 10. On my skin I consider it a peer of Aventus and ranking only below Royal Oud as my preferred Creed scent.
07th August, 2017
i didn't know what to expect with this - it was a blind buy and it was from the creed boutique.. i thought it would be a good one since it gets good reviews. it doesn't do much for me as far as liking the fragrance. it's peppery and flowery all i know.. and very at that.
i wore it and i could smell it on my shirt a couple days later so the strength is good. just not what i would think of as a man's cologne. it would be good for a woman.. but my g/f didn't like it. she said it's too peppery. overall neutral on this one
07th July, 2017
The opening is amazing but it dries down to a generic aquatic with mediocre silage. Fine but forgettable.
23rd June, 2017
The opening of this gives me an image of fruit and flowers past peak freshness, a half melon left in the refrigerator, and a vase of wilted flowers, petals falling. It transitions to a more unified accord that's less complex, and smells dominated by a men's grooming product aroma chemical, like something used in a deodorant stick. This smell turns increasingly inky. Deep into the base, a nice sandalwood note emerges.
19th June, 2017
Stardate 20170609:
I am not a big fan of dihydromyrcenol. So I stay away from fragrances that have them (which is a lot of modern ones). I was, therefore, never a fan of GIT or Cool Water. SMW to me smells like a lighter version of GIT. An EDC formulation perhaps. The DiHydromyrcenol is within my tolerable limits.
A nice summer scent. But there are better out there at lower price(AdG line, AdP line)
09th June, 2017

Pleasant but unremarkable for someone like myself who prefers rich woody ambers, tobaccos and leathers. Your view will vary if you like fresh scents and have a nuanced nose that can appreaciate the subtleti s of silver mountain water. This seems much like a traditional cologne but enhanced by a light touch of tea and blackcurrant. Neroli is seemingly avoided in an effort to break the link to its cologne backbone. This is something I consider worthy of a decant but not a full bottle. My wife does love it though, so that tips it over to a thumbs up.
18th December, 2016
This is one of those where I disagree with my wife. She likes this one on me but its just too cloying with the heavy florals for me. I've worn SMW multiple times as well as the clones, trying to understand the hype. Guess its just not for me.

I get good projection during the first hours of wearing and it seems to last all workday on me. Feels very unisex.
01st November, 2016 (last edited: 01st November, 2018)
Another one tried off my "Everyone talks about it" Try List...
Yes to black currants in perfume! Especially when they don't smell like cat urine. This one doesn't. My own attempts at combining cassis and bergamot didn't turn out so well. But this one is lovely. It is a true-to-form cup of earl grey with genuine-smelling black currants.. here come the petitgrain/wood notes. Moving between green leaves and young branches, with a sweet, musky undercurrent, they too smell "real" and linger on. I detected then faintly still about 6 hours into the wear.
A sure fire compliment-getting fragrance that seems well worth the attention it gets. I wonder if I'll change my mind...
06th October, 2016 (last edited: 05th October, 2016)
Love this one! Low key and sexy. The ladies really dig this. I've noticed them leaning in real close to get a whiff. It gives off a very smooth soapy vibe, really clean, fresh and safe to wear just about anywhere, except maybe super formal, suit and tie type events (this is definitely more of a casual wear fragrance). For a Creed collector like myself, this is a nice change-up from most of the other Creeds because it's missing the ambergris in the base. This is one is very underrated, but up there with the best of them in my opinion.
05th October, 2016 (last edited: 20th April, 2017)
Not good with descriptions of notes and such, only know what's good and what's not etc. This scent is average in my opinion and not too found of the inky note. Not worth the money. Save your cash and get an alternative like Al-Rehab Silver pretty much the same especially the dry down in my opinion.
14th May, 2016
I haven't been on this site for months because SMW stopped me right in my tracks in my quest for a signature scent. I live in SoCal - it's mild/hot most of the year, and I already have a gourmand that I like to wear when its cold, so I was looking for something light to serve as my go-to.

SMW fits the bill perfectly. It's clean without being soapy, sweet without being cloying, and fresh without screaming deodorant. I'm also not above admitting that I appreciate the number of compliments it garners.

I notice that there are a lot of strong opinions about whether this one leans masculine or feminine, which I actually think is evidence of how truly unisex it is. When I wear it, a friend describes it as "strong, but definitely feminine," but I could easily see it being worn by a man and giving off the opposite impression. Then again, I don't put much stock in the gendering of scents, so YMMV.

As always, individual body chemistry is likely to be a big factor. This one just gets me. I don't pick up any harsh metallic notes, soap, or shampoo. On me it's a citrus-dominant fruity scent with just the right amount of musky woodiness to keep it in perfect balance.

Definitely also worth noting that after months of wearing, this has not once triggered a headache, which I don't think I can say for anything else I've ever worn.

5/5 for the scent; 3.5/5 for longevity; 5/5 for sillage (with the caveat that I apply liberally)
08th April, 2016
An interesting blend of fruits and tinfoil. Not my cup of tea, though.
12th December, 2015
Masterpiece. Boiling green tea on a snow covered swiss mountainside on a sunny day. Organic CK One made from nature not chemicals.
04th December, 2015
Silver Mountain Water is one of my favorite Creed fragrances. Citrus top over tea notes, woods and musk. Super clean and easy to wear. Could be a good office fragrance, or even a signature scent that's better for day wear than an evening out. By far more masculine than unisex. Good longevity and average silage. Can't go wrong with it.
09th October, 2015
Silver Mountain Water achieves a great freshness without ever leaning toward a fake "icy" deodorant smell. Bergamot and orange form a nice standard opening pairing, the but the main star of the fragrance is the green tea, a note that I would have never previously guessed would help provide a muted freshness that makes the fragrance so easy to wear. The musk helps round out the subtle base, as the fragrance becomes even more neutral s it dries down.

As with most of the fresh Creeds, longevity is not tremendous, but the projection is outstanding for the first couple of hours, and then fades to a more modest (but not skin scent) for the next 6 to 8 or so.

One my favorite fresh Creeds, along with Aventus and Himalaya. It should surely be tried by men and women alike, as I see this having strong unisex appeal. SMW also has high marks in terms of versatility, as while it is not targeted for formal occasions, dates, or work, it nonetheless is very comfortable to wear in all situations, casual or formal. And while it lends itself to warm weather wear, it's a fragrance that can be appreciated year-round.

8 out of 10
13th August, 2015
Salutation.

Every collectionar needs a CREED.why?because this brand is special.this cologne is one of my favorite (in my top 5).

SMW is very original,different,fresh and elegant for younger man (between 20/30 years old) but for teen boys it doesent fit.

The people around me feel it and like it asking me what perfume i use?i wear more often during the spring/summer days in ofiice.

Anyway very lovely scent from the begining until it end.not simple in my opinion this is elaborate and harmonic composition of notes.the longevity is amazing on my skin.one word i adore it.

Thank you CREED.

8.5/10
09th June, 2015
Silver Mountain Water is a real beauty; a bright, cool, airy blast of citrus and aldehydes, freshly laundered (comparisons to Chrome are not unfounded) with a semi-tart punctuation rising from the blackcurrant, only slightly fruity and sans any ammoniac edge. It sort of feels like a crisp clean breeze is blowing evenly over a calm liquid accord of green tea currants. There's also the vague hint of some unidentified industrial bonding agent. It's a curious feature, but subtile and one that adds a deft quirkiness to the mix. All of this rests nicely on the lovely (if lean) standard ambergris/musk foundation. An altogether "easy" yet very interesting presentation.
The catch for me, like many apparently, is that the enjoyment plays out over an astonishingly brief timespan. After liberal application it becomes a skin scent within 45 minutes and has literally all but disappeared on me by the two hour mark. It's confounding that a fragrance with this kind of performance (at designer price points, let alone the lofty retail tag) could command so much attention. That SMW is offered in 500ml vats (granted, as are others in the line) is also an amusing irony. I'm left wondering if this particular combination of ingredients somehow induces specific anosmia in some, while other lucky folks can actually smell this stuff for an extended period of time. Either that or Creed has managed to pull off one of the great olfactive/marketing illusions in perfume history:
Now you smell it...now you don't!!

17th May, 2015 (last edited: 19th May, 2015)
Silver Mountain Water from Creed is an interesting fresh fragrances. In the beginning there is an icy cool blast of citrus with an underlying blackcurrant note. It smells fresh, refreshing but also very different from many others in its olfactory group. The citrus fades but the blackcurrant note persists in the heart. The green tea note comes out slowly and mixes with the blackcurrant. The overall effect is what many have been referring to as the inky note. I only a faint resemblance of the smell of ink (or ink toner). On the contrary it is quite green, somewhat astringent, fresh and perhaps even a little smoky. It is not at all soapy, herbal or powdery. Rather it retains it has this sheen, at times almost metallic. The base is soft and woody, with a hint of sweetness.

This is one of those fragrances that I disliked at first, but it won me over. I find it more interesting than either Millesime Imperial or Virgin Island Water. I get decent projection and longevity. If you are in the market looking for a different take on a fresh fragrance, and willing to pay a premium, check this one out. Perfect for daytime wearings in spring and summer. Perfectly unisex.
11th May, 2015
Another superb blend by Oliver Creed. I opened my sample up and got an instant hit of I know this smell and I wish I can put my finger on when or where i've smelt this before. That being said a frangrance this good must have had a lasting impression on me if I had smelt it before or stimulated something pretty awesome in my mind if I haven't smelt it before. Either way its very alluring. The notes mix together very well to give me an initial blast of a gin kind of hit, this dries down revealing the fruit pallet, currents, citrus with some underlying woods. very appealing.
14th March, 2015
Silver Mountain Water was suggested to me by a Creed Rep, based on the fact I already own Aventus. Apparently, most people who have Aventus, also like SMW. I tried it out on my skin, and initially was not overly impressed. However, after around 30 minutes, it had dried down a little, and i was pleasantly impressed. The smell reminded me of coming out of a long shower, that feeling of absolute freshness! The citrus notes are fantastic, as is the Sandalwood. Its not an overpowering fragrance, and would be great for work, or casual use. I like to use it more as a daytime scent
31st December, 2014
The very first sniff is a nice whiff of fruit and citrus, but after that it quickly turns into shampoo. Not the cheapest shampoo on the shelf, something Bath and Body Works would make if they were a shampoo brand, but it's still shampoo. After a few hours the Creed ambergris starts coming through and things start to get a bit better but by that time I feel like I shouldn't spend so much money on a fragrance that just makes me smell like I washed my hair.
21st December, 2014

This is a cold, almost-icy tea based fragrance with a sparkling metallic sheen. One example where the name and bottle design are completely evocative of the scent itself, Silver Mountain Water very accurately portrays what it suggests. Between the tea, black currant, mandarin orange, and white musk, you get an inky-sweet, tangy aroma that is reminiscent of chilly, windy air in high, snow-capped altitudes. I get the 'ink' note. It's a combination of the tea and black currant that creates an odd, sort of chemically sweet smell, but it doesn't remind me of toner cartridges, more like ink from a pen or well. I also find this accord pleasant and unique, and it can be interpreted in various ways. Do you prefer ink, or black currants coated in frost on an early spring morning? How about industrial stainless steel, or the glassy, crystalline surface of a river in January? It can go either way, and that's what's sort of interesting about Silver Mountain Water. I picture a white, snow-covered mountain with an ultraviolet stream passing through it. In other words, I get a little bit of both--nature, as interpreted through a synthesized, futuristic chemical process. And it works.

Practically speaking, this is best suited for spring and summer as it's quite cooling and fresh. Projection is strong and it can be sneaky, and longevity is very good. I get about 8 hours plus. SMW feels most appropriate for daily wear as it might be a little high-pitched for the evening. Though I really enjoy this and think it was composed with an intelligent, clever hand, I can't guarantee this as a safe blind buy. While it has plenty of fans, Silver Mountain Water also has plenty of detractors, and that's why it's best that you sample it first.
21st November, 2014