Reviews of Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Find out more about Silver Mountain Water by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Aquatic

A very nice summer daytime scent: light and breezy, yet also possessed of some earthy mystery and a distinctive edge.

Silver Mountain Water opens up with a well balanced currant and tea accord, spiked with a touch of the aquatic and a twist of citrus. As the heart exposes itself, the tea and violet contribute an herbal, soil-like undercurrent that enriches a scent that might otherwise be too much of a lightweight.

Another distinctive feature is a hard-edged "industrial," or perhaps "stony" note (robyogi's "inkjet toner?") which for me lifts the whole composition onto a new plane. The element of subtle dissonance this note injects keeps me coming back for another sniff.

The drydown is very rapid on me, and reveals an accord familiar to anyone who's worn Millésime Imperial or Green Irish Tweed. In the case of Silver Moutain Water there is also a persistent echo of the current/tea accord that adds a little zest to the end stage. This is one of those scents that seem to disappear after a couple of hours, only to re-emerge unexpectedly from time to time. Intriguing, and very well worth trying, regardless of gender.

03 July, 2014

mrcologneguy's avatar

It's Millesime Imperiale with fizzy grape soda pop thrown over the top. Works surprisingly well. Somehow invokes images of its namesake, similar to the way Himalaya pulls off the evocative name trick. Overall, another impressive Creed release.

Worried about SMW's supposed feminine connotations? Well don't be a baby about stuff like that. Come along for the sparkling, good clean fun. Sure, it does wear a little feminine. But I get compliments from women when I wear it, so who cares? Maybe not right if your intention is to smell masculine to other men. Goes without saying that it would smell great on women, too.

Creed is great at mixing some unexpected masterpieces into their extensive collection. SMW is another one. You have to give them credit for coming up with quirky stuff like this. Bravo. SMW is a fine addition to any collection. You might not wear it often, but it's likely you won't have much else like it in your collection. Really hits the spot when you're in the right mood for it.

11th March, 2014

Ghosst's avatar

elegant, nice, pleasant. As a 16 year old, I enjoy the fragrance immensely. Although a Masculine scent, I think of it as unisex. No complaints from my girlfriend, only compliments. It also is able to remain on my skin and has a sweet dry down, not as in gourmand, but as said, pleasant. However, I don't bill it as a formal fragrance and although nice smelling , not something that I would wear to my Prom.

04 March, 2014

Ryanmmas26's avatar

As much as I love the smell of this as it is quite gorgeous ,I just cant give it a thumbs up just based on the fact that even though its marketed as a unisex and more so towards men it smells like straight up perfume to me. When ive worn this out people have actually asked me what my girlfriends perfume is that got on me somehow.lol ... Which even though is meant as a compliment is quite embarassing.

I mean for what it is its very nice. It has a very fresh,airy smell that will get attention but its very perfumy so if your a manly man or a man that doesnt like unisex or perfumy colognes stay clear of this 1.

Longevity and projection:lasted me 8-10 hours with good projection for 4 hours and then becomes very close to the skin.

Season and occasion: Spring/Summer as far as season.... And Id only use this for casual use

08 February, 2014

SereneGreen's avatar

I'm a huge fan of Creed, but I have to analyze this objectively with the Creed goggles off. For a good while, it was one of my favorite fragrances, though I do see it's flaws, which is why I'm marking this nuetral in terms of how I recommend it to people. It's a mixture of both beauty and ugliness, though it is worth noting that the good outweighs the bad.

It's a dichotomy. There are people who passionately love this fragrance and people who don't like it at all. Even though, I lean more toward the positive side, I totally recognize the complaints about it too. One person described this to me as water running down a silver mountain top. Another person described this to me as smelling like the sweat behind one's ears. I would say that they are both right, in a sense.

Creed SMW isn't a consistent scent, nor a simple one (despite being labeled an aquatic). It's many things and your experience it will vary; not just batch-to-batch, but from one wearing to another. This can depend on your skin, the weather, your nose, or your mood.

It's many things. It has aquatic elements. It has a rocky mineral aspect to it. It can be peppery. It can smell like a lemon tart. It can be floral. It can be musky. It can be clean. It can be dirty. It can be metallic and acetic. It can be warm and gentle. It depends entirely on your wearing. I've both loved it and found it to be mildly unpleasant.

The expensive price can be an issue for many people, but it's more of a personal decision than an objective one. It's a matter if you like it or not (try it first). Don't blind buy this, and to be honest, it's probably not one of Creed's safest buys, despite being labeled an aquatic. Well worth it for some; not for others.

This is not a nuetral review saying "this is okay-at-best. don't buy it". It's more of a "you'll love or hate it or find it somewhere in between". Ideally, you'll love this and buy it. But recognize both sides before you purchase.

07 February, 2014

warmlightsunsea's avatar

This is billed as a masculine fragrance, although it smells more unisex to me. However, I think the basenotes do tilt it slightly in the direction of a more masculine “eau” fragrance. I like it, but for a long time there is a smell I can only describe as “peppery” which makes it far too “spicy” for me. I like pepper in fragrances, but I think in this perfume it was an attempt to make it more “masculine.” Very nice, very clear, clean fragrance. Would smell lovely on a man. However, I prefer other tea fragrances.

14 January, 2014

MikeVee's avatar

This smells really good, for a woman. I do not see this being a male scent at ALL. Smells like melon from bath and body works and dries down to a 100% woman's perfume smell. After one spray I will be returning.

19 December, 2013

dno101's avatar

Ethereal fresh air. Millisime Imperial the remix

14 December, 2013

Stinkpot's avatar

Elegant and refined - no longevity at all on me

This is an elegant and inoffensive scent - perfect for office wear. But it disappears on me after a couple of hours. I got a 10 ml decant of this, and I'm glad I did. But at the price I expect more.

Pros: Elegant and refined
    Cons: Disappears after 2 hours"

26 October, 2013

Xingqiwu's avatar

Another Creed Masterpiece

I beg to differ, radically differ, from all the "nay"-sayers here. How anyone could find this fragrance in any way objectionable is beyond me. Creed's Silver Mountain Water is a stupendous MASTERPIECE! One of the freshest, coolest, most appealing scents out there - a wonderful creation that evokes images of the coolest, purest mountain streams on a hot summer's day. Distinctively different and thoroughly sophisticated. Great work again Creed!

Pros: Stupendously FRESH
    Cons: Longevity could be better "

30th September, 2013

mercutio's avatar

True story...

One day, while working for FedEx, I was walking through the hall in a building and could hear what sounded like someone running in high heels. The sound came closer and closer and finally stopped right behind me.

"Excuse me..."

I turned around to see a young, professional looking woman standing next to me.

"...I just needed to do this..." She continued.

She grabbed me by the shoulders, buried her face in my chest and inhaled deeply.

This was a woman I had never met in my life. From that moment on, I knew this fragrance was a keeper. I constantly receive compliments on this bad boy. It lasts all day and makes me feel extremely confident. A smell that I can only describe as a suit of armor filled with fruit salad(silly, I know). This is my wife's personal favorite on me; but since I told her the story of the high-heeled woman, I can only wear it when she is present as a chaperone. This does not do much to deter compliments and it drives her nuts. Cracks me up.

Bottom line: A must have fragrance.

Pros: Projection monster, longevity, compliment magnet
    Cons: Kind of a little brother to Imperial"

07 September, 2013

PhillipLee's avatar

My review of smw

Bought a sample just to see what all the hype was about all the fragrances from the house of creed, the top notes smells like printer ink and is harsh but mellows out after about 10minutes. I loved the smell of this fragrance but due to its poor longevity and projection I decided not to buy a full bottle.

Pros: Fresh
    Cons: Expensive, Terrible longevity

30th June, 2013

drseid's avatar

One Mountain To Avoid...

Silver Mountain Water pretty much blends all of its notes into an amalgamation of sharp citric bergamot orange, somewhat bracing green tea and an underlying metallic accord that permeates the entire fragrance (I would say development, but I get none on skin). Projection is average and longevity is on the low-end of average at 6-8 hours on skin.

I tried Silver Mountain Water years ago and did not care much for it, throwing out my sample. After having been impressed recently with another Creed release, Jardin d'Amalfi, I decided to purchase another sample of Silver Mountain Water to see if I was just too hasty back then... Well, to cut to the chase, the short answer is "no". This stuff reminds me very much of Creed's superior composition Millesime Imperiale that was released the same year sans the metallic accord, but with added watermelon up top and a bit of saltiness throughout. I think my primary dislike for Silver Mountain Water is derived from it being such a lazy composition that doesn't develop, and the underlying metallic vibe does not work. The bottom line is if you *must* have this kind of a fragrance by Creed before purchasing the overpriced slightly below average rated 2 to 2.5 star Silver Mountain Water, check out the equally overpriced Millesime Imperial for a more complete and polished presentation of the same base accord.

Pros: Fresh, versatile and wearable...
    Cons: Lazy composition with no development to speak of and a fragrance profile too close to Creed's own MI.

30th June, 2013

slesperado's avatar

Take a bar of Ivory soap, set it on an aluminum soap dish, then sprinkle black pepper on top of the Ivory soap. That's what this Silver Mountain Water smells like. Although it's not a BAD smell, it's also not an attractive smell and it's definitely not worth the price they're asking for it.

I'm so glad I sampled this and didn't blind buy it!

05 May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

There is a fermented rotten apple/urine smell that makes this a scrubber. I live in Adams County, PA one of the largest apple producing areas in the USA. Driving in late autumn through the apple orchards, the rotten apples have fallen from the trees and are fermenting. That is exactly the same smell in Silver Mountain Water. Thank goodness like most Creeds, the fragrance disappears completely in 2-3 hrs. If you plan to buy any Creed, get a sample and test how long it lasts on you. Do you really want to spend $300 for something that disappears before you get to work in the morning?

02 May, 2013

Mrpleasent's avatar

This is a fantastic fragrance. It can start off a little metallic but it quickly dries down to a very pleasant blend of tea and black current. The middle and the base are where SMW really shines. I get a lot of compliments on this, a number of times women have asked me what I'm wearing before their iPhone comes out to see where they can buy a bottle for their partners. I get 6 to 8 hours scent life per wear on my skin. I'm on my third 4oz flask, this will always be in my rotation.

25 April, 2013

mmmm's avatar

This is a good scent, Just know that it is very floral. Florals turn me off like nothing else so I cannot enjoy this scent. If your looking for a nice pleasant unisex floral, this is for you.

21st April, 2013

noideawhatimsaying's avatar

"Metallic fresh", which is a horrible smell. Give me some realism!

20th April, 2013

Juiced's avatar

Probably the best smelling scent that I have ever sampled. Nothing, I mean Nothing, smells better on my skin on a warm sunny day. There are two drawbacks, however, and they are both well documented. Drawbacks include poor longevity (varies, but typically 30min-4hours) and projection (lack thereof).

I don't care what other reviewers have to say about the ink note. I find the tea and black currant combination to be phenomenal. This juice actually lifts my mood and takes my mind and spirit to a better place!

06 April, 2013

Danielstripedtiger's avatar

This is nasty. The main fragrance is an average smelling floral, aquatic, and metallic. Just average. The problem is there is a rotten apple under-note that is nauseating. We have an apple orchard and this rotting apple smell is exactly the same note. I own and enjoy GIT Aventus, MI, Royal Oud, so I am not a "Creed Hater" BUT I am a realist. Some of their stuff is generic, lifeless, and even awful. The Holy House of Creed is not Perfect!

28 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2013)

rbaker's avatar

In the top notes I get a bit of gentle citrus with bergamot, but very soon a blackcurrent-and-green tea combination starts to dominate. In the drydown a bit of galbanum with a light musk note is added, and overall the result is quite nice but not a not very convincing as a
    composition my skin. A bit boring and sweetish-dull at times. Bearable projection and a longevity of less than two hours on me.

10th March, 2013

DMA's avatar

I have just recieved a sample of this direct from Creed with a purchase.

I think its ok, but just ok.

To me it smells like a generic CK unisex fragrance from the 90's.

Its not offensive, its pleasent, but not something I would purchase in 2013

22 January, 2013

fragranceseeker's avatar

Definitely a negative!Visited Harrod's in Knightsbridge with my partner just before olympics, so I tried it from a tester. My goodness, what on earth is all the fuss about?This is a cheap smelling EDT that lasted a couple of hours, aqnd why would I wish to smell of sickly sweet Tea/Blackcurrant? Oh well, one can fool some of the people all of the time etc....

14 January, 2013

's avatar

Great scent, fresh and subtle. But i dont think it's worth its retail price. I pass on this and stay with Al-Rehab Silver, which is similar, costs 1/10 of this and has a stronger lasting power.
    I smell basically black currant, tea and a clean and soft musk. Sometimes it smells a bit metallic. I dont get any wood notes.

07 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 21st February, 2013)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Fresh mountain water and flowers with a hint of the precious metal. Could pass as unisex as it's not the most masculine scent I've tried. There is a certain tea note, not most prominent but enough to be quite felt. Well balanced and refined scent, notes are not screaming but work well together. I wouldn't rush to buy it but I wouldn't pass it if it got into my possession. It's a quite nice scent, however nothing grand or memorable about it.

16 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2013)

bugsy's avatar

I haven’t owned as many fragrances as some of the people on this forum have; I’ve owned about 60-70 (6 CREEDs) different bottles in the last 5 years and out of all of them, this one is by far my favorite. It has that sharp metallic note which some people hate but in my opinion that note is a cure.

The juice inside is so fresh, sexy, slightly floral. I wouldn’t say this is my most complimented scent, but the compliments I’ve gotten from women were, “OMG you smell soooo good/you smell really-really good” with emphasis on the adjective.

This isn’t a heavy scent but it has these seductive woody undertones to it; an exceptional scent in my opinion. I change my mind about fragrances frequently and I can safely say that I will continue to buy this one for a long time.

07 December, 2012

voodoodanny's avatar

Wonderful juice! For me, opens with gin and tonic giving way almost immediately to fruit tea and clean aqua notes. Dries down to a fresh, elegant semi-sweet metallic accord. I can't really talk about sillage and longevity because I could only afford a 1ml decant, but I will certainly snap up a bottle of this sublime frag if ever I see it discounted.

11th November, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A great fragrance for spring and summer.
    The opening of this fragrance is fresh and green with almost salty vibe!
    I think the salty vibe is because of the patchouli note!
    The green tea note mixed with patchouli and some black currant give us a great fresh and natural smell.
    In the dry down the black current become more intense and because of the musk, you have a milky vibe.
    People also say smells like ink! yeah, something like that but it's not chemical at all!
    Very smooth and pleasant smell.
    The smell doesn't change on my skin in the base.
    Great projection but average longevity.

08 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

Different is the first thing that comes to mind. Kind of a soapy scent that is good for the spring or summer. I detect the tea note which does this frag some good. For me, this is wearable but not worth the cost IMO.

26 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2013)

Mistertaz's avatar

A simple no-nonsense review:

Ignoring all the ludicrous praise heaped on this fragrance, I put Creed's Silver Mountain Water on with no expectations and was quite pleasantly surprised.

It opens with a nice dry black tea scent mixed with the smell of berry herbal tea. The black tea forms a smooth base, with the berry tea notes sitting on top. It then very smoothly moves into a lightly floral watery note with a hint of stone.

I don't think there is much sillage, but the longevity is definitely very good. I sprayed it on at noon and I can still clearly smell it now wafting up from my neck and chest at 8.30pm.

Warning! Wanky interpretation:

Interestingly, I think that the scent very accurately renders the title. The soft tea and berry notes give the impression of the scent of fruiting trees in Spring being blown on the breeze. The watery note with the unusual stoney aspect conjures up the image of a mountain stream, and both themes are linked by the subtly floral aspect of the watery note.

Conclusion:

In my (rather uneducated) opinion, Silver Mountain Water is a very well blended and executed fragrance, which doesn't have any sharp edges or jarring transitions. The notes are clear, but soft and obviously cleverly chosen to portray an idea.

I think this would make a lovely work scent, or would go very well with a preppy casual outfit as it has a very clean and elegant vibe. However, despite my positive experience, it's not really my style. As soon as I finish typing this I'm going to have a shower and put on some Serge Lutens! ;)

31st August, 2012