Reviews of Sugar Cookie by Demeter Fragrance Library

Sugar Cookie is a miss as far as I’m concerned. I get a rather solid synthetic note, but the worst of it is that I can’t identify the smell with the smell of the sugar cookies I’m familiar with: I don’t perceive sugar cookies as being spicy. I am used to the plain sugar and vanilla cookies and that’s all I want to smell: sugar, butter, and vanilla. I guess things can go wrong when you try to olfactorily duplicate memories from childhood: Everyone’s memories are a bit different, all use their own recipes. On my skin Sugar Cookie has the poor longevity typical of most Demeters.

01st March, 2009
Aiona Show all reviews
It definitely smells like sugar cookies, but not the way I make mine. Everyone has their own recipe for sugar cookies. Demeter makes theirs with ginger and cardamom and a little lemon zest, in addition to the requisite vanilla. I agree with previous reviewers that it's not a burnt cookie smell. It's definitely a citrusy fresh cookie smell. It's an alcohol 'fume, not an oil, so there's a bit of sharpness at first, which I didn't like. As someone mentioned, sometimes I just want to smell cookies, but I don't want to smell *LIKE* one. This perfume fits the bill.
08th August, 2008
I adore this. It really does have the smell of sugar cookies. I have noticed when I wear it that people really seem drawn to me, too. The scent is addicting. I just wish it lasted longer than it does. It barely lasts an hour once I'm at work.
18th April, 2006

One of the better old school Demeters out there, this one has a warm quality that smells more authentic than artifical and manages to convey the quality of being "baked" rather than "burnt" (burnt being the fatal flaw of the otherwise quite nice Aquolina Pink Sugar, which I wouldn't be totally shocked to discover was inspired by the Demeter Sugar Cookie.) Yes, like Demeter scents as a whole, this one has little tenacity - a result, I'd imagine, of being built around pure syntehtic essences as opposed to old-fashioned notes and fixatives. But that's okay, because the genius of this is in getting that quick blast of sugar fix anyway; I don't necessarily want to walk around smelling like a cookie ALL day. In that sense, this and all the Demeters are more about very cutting-edge aromatherapy, setting a "scent mood" for yourself and taking it from there. Apply Sugar Cookie - feel comforted and nurtured and a little bit pretty. Apply Funeral Home - get dark and murky and explore your inner goth. And so on.
07th September, 2005