Reviews of Silvester by Geo F Trumper

Find out more about Silvester by Geo F Trumper in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Sadly, Silvester has been discontinued as Cologne by Trumper, though it is still available as aftershave. My comments are on the Cologne. This has a delightful crisp opening. Pay attention the lime which is excellent but fleeting! The fragrance settles into quiet spice and light wood accords. A few hours later the spice continues, with a hint of what I think is well-executed vetiver. I agree with comments that this stays close to the skin, but I don’t find any coniferous or “green” notes (apart from the vetiver). Those seeking noble pine scents will have to look elsewhere. I am a fan of Mugler Cologne, and agree that the two scents are both “quiet performers”; however the scent profiles and emotional responses are different. Mugler = happy childhood reverie; Silvester = calm confidence. In sum – Silvester is a warm, comfortable, classy masculine scent.

21st February, 2007

foetidus

I sent to Trumper for samples: they sent me several, and Silvester Cologne was one of them, but I couldn’t find it on their website. Maybe it is some sort of a mystery scent, or maybe it’s discontinued, but then, why would they send it to me? I hope they didn’t discontinue it, because it is a very good fragrance. It begins with an attractive citrus / herb accord that is sparkling clean and bright, and that stays close to the skin and doesn’t project very much. It’s performance characteristics remind me a lot of Thierry Mugler’s Cologne except that the citrus notes in Silvester are sharper and clearer. After a while it changes course from T. M. Cologne and becomes more and more coniferous. It grows in impact as it does this — still not much sillage, but the fragrance has gained character. The drydown is light with coniferous notes, again, remaining close to the skin. The longevity of this fragrance is quite good. I like this scent a lot. If I had been aware of this before I bought Mugler’s Cologne, I would have bought the Trumper’s Silvester instead, that is, if I could have found a place that sells it.

03 February, 2007

j_dubyah's avatar
    j_dubyah

Citrus/herbaceous to a tee! I should think that this would last pleasantly long for such a dominant "green" fragrance. I think this is as close to sporty as Trumper may get.

26 August, 2003