Negative Reviews of Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

Dodgy mix of Old Spice and citrus cologne that doesn't work.
EdC formula
13th December, 2018 (last edited: 18th December, 2018)
Elzéard Show all reviews
I own the latest EDC formulation as of 2012. It doesn't smell like tobacco on me. It smells like lemon and soap, perhaps even washing up liquid, and is of a quality that unfortunately reflects the low price I paid for it. It starts off quite sharp, but over the course of an hour gets somewhat smoother, and at this point is even approaching a desirable fragrance. But then a few moments later, it is gone.
02nd March, 2012
This review refers to the new formulation of Tabac Original EDC. I have recently purchased a second-hand miniature of Tabac Original EDC on the web, having read the mostly complimentary reviews posted here. I immediately saw why this scent appeals to so many users. I found it absolutely adorable from the beginning to the end. I'm not expert enough to describe how it evolves over time and what notes exactly come to the surface at each stage. It is solid and lasting. Its warm, reassuring sweetness, probably traceable to carnation and sandalwood, brings to mind aromatic pipe tobacco. It is never cloying, nor is it powdery in a feminine way.
Determined to add Tabac to my permanent wardrobe, I have bought a 150ml bottle. The description posted by the seller mentioned that the scent had been "modernized" since its launching in 1959. This alarmed me a little, but the fragrance notes in the description matched exactly the ones listed here. Unfortunately, the difference between Tabac from the miniature bottle I had originally bought and my recent purchase was all too clear. The new formulation is a very thin, weak floral that vanishes within half an hour of application. The miserable residue that you can just detect very close to the skin is not worth sniffing for anyway. It is not merely a question of the scent's lasting power or projection: this is not a watered-down version of the original Tabac Original EDC. It smells different and bears no relation to tobacco - at least not in the way it was rendered in the original version. Another very obvious and easily verifiable difference is the colour: the original Tabac Original EDC is light yellow; the contemporary version is clear.
29th February, 2012 (last edited: 01st March, 2012)

I enjoy traditional "old man" scents. Yet to me, Tabac is a creepy old granny scent.

If you would like to smell of a dirty ashtray that has been dusted with baby powder, then Tabac should work fine. I waited around for the drydown's punchline, but time after time, only caught the scent that provoked images of a well powdered and chain-smoking granny.

I don't dislike many fragrances; however, Tabac is definitely one.
23rd October, 2011
This is the perfect fragrance to wear to a family reunion - if you despise your relatives. This stuff is cloying, outdated and has an intoxicatingly sickly scent. I tried to use it as car deodorant and bathroom spray, but I couldn't stand it. I threw it away. It makes me shudder.
29th September, 2008
I must be doing something wrong here. To me this smells like the Axe of 1959 - horribly synthetic, cheap, loud and obnoxiously lasting. I've tried it a couple of times, but when my son, who got it as a gift, fumigated the bathroom with it, my opinion-forming process was abruptly completed. Perhaps the dry spice combo is at fault, for I have a huge problem with a certain style of barbershop clove, it badly irritates my throat and literally makes me gag (e.g. in Park Royal & Leonard pour homme and to an extent in Curzon), though I quite enjoy a number of barbershoppy Trumpers and the likes of Vetiver hombre etc. pp. That alone does not explain, why this comes across to me as vile AND cheap (I quite appeciate the quality of Curzon or Leonard, despite not enjoying them). In view of the overwhelming support of this it's a personal idiosyncracy, perhaps. But seriously, folks, Tabarome it ain't.
08th July, 2007