Reviews of Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Find out more about Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

My thoughts on Tea for Two have evolved significantly since I first tried it. In 2007 I wrote:

“Wow! The smoky Lapsang Souchong tea is remarkably real here! Maybe too real. I love Lapsang Souchong tea, but I want to drink it, not wear it. Would be great as a room scent.”

Now I’m more than willing to wear it. The smoky tea is potable without a doubt, but it’s the brilliantly translucent oriental structure underneath that makes this scent so special. It is a particularly fine example of Olivia Giacobetti’s talent for illuminating olfactory spaces normally shrouded in darkness. (See her Idole de Lubin for another telling instance.) Try Tea for Two if your idea of oriental mystery includes both smoke and golden light.

05 July, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This one compares to Gucii Pour Homme II!
    To be honest with you, at the opening they don't smell the same but dry down and base of the fragrance smell almost the same!
    The opening of this fragrance is a warm and sweet honey smell with tea and tobacco hand to hand plus spices and floral note!
    The tea leaves is there and the tobacco makes it dark and almost smoky.
    There is a strong smell of floral note too.
    It's not in the list but definitely it's there and smell like mary flower to my nose!
    As time goes by the floral note disappears and tobacco note goes completely in the background.
    Something interesting happens here and that's about the honey sweetness! while most of the fragrances start citrusy or woody or spicy and .... they become sweeter in dry down and base, but this one goes completely at the opposite side and it's becoming less sweet in dry down and base!
    In the dry down you can easily smell tea leaves but as I said on my Gucci Pour Homme II review, it's not that dried black tea smell that mostly people use in Asia! smell green like fresh and green tea leaves instead of dried black tea that smell dark and bitter!
    Beside that green smell of tea leaves, there are some sweetness and small amount of spices too.
    You will have this scent to the end and there will be no changes.
    Both projection and longevity is above average.
    I'm not a fan of tea based fragrances but this one is OK and I like it but I wouldn't buy a full bottle of this!

16 February, 2014

rbaker's avatar

It starts with a cinnamon tone that is soon developing into a delicious tea note; bit like a milder version of a Ruhuna that adopts a gently smoky character later in the drydown.  A bit of ginger and honey emanate in the base notes, with an underlying soft spiciness. Silage is poor and it is always  very close to my skin, but the longevity is a good five hours. A delicious scent. There are rumours of its discontinuation.

31st October, 2013

wormstir's avatar

Not my cup of tea

Ok, I admit I should have read other reviews first before sampling, as this really does smell an awful lot like Gucci PH2, which unfortunately is not a favourite of mine. T42 increases the sweetness to a warm cloud of honey and chai tea. It's a pleasant smell but not striking, and far too sweet and cloying to me.

There is also another scent I used to own that smells a lot like this and is much cheaper - Korres Vetiver Root Green Tea and Cedarwood

Pros: decent scent, strong aroma of tea
    Cons: overpowering, cloying, sweet"

23 July, 2013

calnadur's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Okay you cant deny Tea for Two a positive review, very simply put, it is a good fragrance.

Only a couple of remarks though:

1. I wish the initial smokey/tea notes would last a little longer before settling in the however beautiful and elegantly sweet drydown

2. What's in a name? When you read "Tea for Two" you naturally tend to focus on "Tea", and expect that to be the dominant character of the scent, to then possibly get disappointed if you dont find as much tea in the scent as you'd imagined. However the second part of the name here is just as important; what I guess "for Two" stands for in this case is an encouragement to share this intimate and delicate pleasure with a close partner; possibly also because the scent doesnt "radiate" hugely, so being closer than an arm's length does help appreciate this adorable little pearl.

24 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2013)

bobsmells's avatar

This smells just like the Chai I can buy at my local cafe! Why are all of my favorite scents discontinued!!??

14 March, 2013

Jack Hunter's avatar

It opens with smoky milky black tea leaves and is quickly joined by tobacco and vanilla.

I got to say I think this scent is suffering from a identity crisis as it seems to morph from smelling like Gucci Pour Homme II and Tom Fords Tobacco Vanilla.

It smells nice but I just wish it had it's own character as I rather have the above two separately than a mish mash of them.

06 March, 2013

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

ups, not my cup of tea:)

to my nose this is leathery, spicy and overly honeid cup of tea, like some bacon fell into the cup of my tea, how i like my tea is that it has some lemon, and reminds me of chamomile :), my cup of tea would be simmilar to Timbuktu, and L eau de Tarocco

i gave this thumbs down because of too much everything in it, not so perfectly blended to my nose, and my expectations that it would be more like green lemon chamomile type of scent:)

26 October, 2012

The Monaco's avatar

Germany Germany

Absolutelly not a fragrance in the way I knew fragrances before. English Teahouse.
    Black tea, tobacco leaves (danish pipe tobacco) a strong incense / smoke start. At the end vanilla sweet black tea. No flowers or fruits, as much as my nose can detect. No idea why this should be for women also. Absolutelly masculine.
    I think I like it very much.

31st July, 2012

CaliDude's avatar

Great tea scent. Glad I picked this up when I did, considering it's discontinued (you should still be able to find it on Amazon though). This is a spicey, a bit smokey, tea scent. Bought it blind expecting the same tea note as Creed's Silver Mountain Water - it's not similar at all, but I'm still very happy with my purchase.

I realized that longevity & sillage is all based on the number of sprays, what you're wearing, and the weather outside. This is more of a warm weather scent. If you are wearing a couple layers of clothing, a spray on each pulse points should be enough. However, if you're just wearing a t-shirt, you can go liberal on the sprayer.

Also be aware that this is an EDT, so don't expect killer projection with just a couple sprays.

24 June, 2012

jamwires's avatar

Wow.

It took me a while to get around to trying this one, cause I had read that it was "so smoky," etc. I get the smoke reference to a point, but this stuff doesn't smell like cigarette smoke to me.

Tea for Two has an awesome black tea note. I've drank thousands of cups of black tea in my life, so that note is very familiar. The rest of the fragrance to me, reminds me a lot of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, but smoother, and honestly, better than TV.

As far as being unisex, I could see that I suppose. That said, when I wear this stuff, I don't feel remotely like I'm wearing something feminine. I'm all man, lady!

9.5/10

17 May, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

Tea for Two, is thankfully not all about the tea. I had a great fear that it would turn out like Bvlgari's Eau Parfumee au The Rouge, which is the closest thing to rich, black tea that I've ever come across.

L'Artisan's Tea for Two opens quite spicy and leathery. I immediately detected a hint of steamy warmth, the sensual kind which suits both men and women. It was cozy, dark, intense and in some instances, a little tobacco-like.

I didn't sense the tea note until the heart, which takes on a less foody role and more aromatic when blended with the smokey spices. There's also a touch of sweetness in this composition, kind of like a drizzle of honey in a cup of chai tea.

The vanilla in the drydown, when blended with the spices, reminds me of a softer, more feminine version of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. It has that familiar rich and sensual aroma, that while unisex, makes me feel like a confident, sexy woman.

I kind of avoided this fragrance because of the tea reference. I can only stomach green tea, and even still it's not my drink of choice. People in the same vote should not disregard this fragrance. It's perfect for those who love bold, spicy, slightly masculine, smokey and exotic fragrances.

Tea for Two is romantic, a little old-fashioned and rather unique. I love how special this smells on my skin. It's just the scent to wear on a cold, rainy day as it gives me that feeling of being warm, regal and classy.

04 April, 2012

bluelit8's avatar

Tea for Two just smells good, and for once a purely good-smelling fragrance deserves to be recognized as a true masterpiece. (While I'm a fan of L'Artisan in general, only Tea For Two, Dzing! and Timbuktu deserve the gold star in my book).

Tea for Two opens with an intensely smoky, bitter black tea note, which is said to be the odor of Lapsang Souchong tea but others read as pipe tobacco. This is actually my favorite part of the fragrance, though some commentators here seem to find it offputting. Not to fear, though -- it quickly softens into a long-lasting spice/smoke/honey accord. There is far less ginger in this fragrance than in Lutens' Five O' Clock au Gingembre and also less vanilla and amber, so the overall effect is dry and warm rather than soft and plush.

As orientals go this one has decent longevity and sillage but won't knock people over if you spray three or four times. I like to wear it in the winter, when its comforting smells and the memories it conjures act like protection against the snow and damp.

20th January, 2012

nonnative's avatar

While on the mouillette and on me t42 isn't nice and is unwearable, on my husband is gorgeous! It makes me hugging and sniffing him all the time. Perhaps it's my favourite scent for him. You don't have to stick to the smoky first notes, there is much more behind the smoke. There is tea, warm and tasty, served in a stylish porcelain cup (not in a mug!) and on the saucer there is a silver spoon. There are yellow and brown leaves outside the window, carried away by a chilly winter wind. But who cares? You are liying on a sofa in front of the fireplace, in the arms of a hansome man wearing a cachmire jumper. Could I ask for more?

02 December, 2011

mrblah's avatar

It starts off wonderfully complex, woody, spicey, and sweet. However, after a while all I was left was a pipe tobacco scent. It literally smelled like pipe tobacco, and while I enjoy the smell of pipe tobacco, its not something I want as the predominant scent.

Also, I can only see this being worn during the winter and at night, and you must really love tobacco.

07 October, 2011

Scent-imental's avatar

I got a 15 ml sample of this several years ago off Ebay, mainly curious about the name, and was instantly besotted by the sweet spiciness, it reminded me of the Body Shop's Frankincense perfume oil i bought constantly in the 80's, yet i don't know whether either have any Frankincense in. The Body Shop stopped doing their Frankincense Perfume Oil, so i bought Tea for Two, at a considerably higher price.
    But that comforting, cosy, warm feel that has been described by others, exists for me, and evokes memories of when life was easy.
    I get the honey coming through strongly, and hints of the ginger, and that lovely smokiness.
    Longevity, well i put some on yesterday afternoon, and was still getting aromatic smoky warm wafts well into the evening, but i agree, the sillage isn't good, and i have to stick my neck in peoples nose, to make them "fully appreciate" my lovely scent.

I'm onto my 3rd bottle of this, and feel i am somewhat boring by doing this, and need a new spicy perfume, so hint hint, if anyone knows a good spicy warm, and with Frankincense, i do have an empty inbox

Massive thumbs up from me

18 September, 2011

alfarom's avatar

A smoky and spicy combo of dry tobacco and tea. Mr Turin compares this to Indian Chai tea but I've to firmly disagree with him considering that cardamom plays a quite important role in the Chai's original formula while it's completely inexistent in Tea For Two. Spices here, are mainly cinnamon and star anise that play an important role, with some ambery-vanilla, balancing the general dryness with a slight touch of sweetness. Not as complex as others of the Giacobetti's compositions but still an above the average "modern-oriental". Good work.

31st August, 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Tea for two opens with a dominant chord of black tea, such as Gucci Pour Homme II, but more intense, richer, along with some cinnamon and a floral chord (star anise?) That although not in the notes, I can feel.

And so it continues, giving more space for a smoky and dense chord in the course of time, but by no means overwhelming.

At the base notes then we have the emergence of honey which mixed with the aroma of black tea, gives a sensational chord to the fragrance.

Anyway, very nice! An adult version of the Gucci Pour Homme II.

21st August, 2011

sophi's avatar

Greece Greece

Ginger cinnamon and spices...such a woody perfume...strong and different .then the stroll;the metamorphorsis ...warm smoky vanillia until it faints away..great sillage and longevity,too!
    Cozy like you are sitting in front of a smoky fireplace in a cold ,dark winter night!

29 April, 2011

digger51's avatar

I have Back to Black by Killian and Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. I actually like Tea for two better. Why, it is less sweet than the other two. It still has a sweetness to it but it is not as pervassive as the sweetness is in the other two. I think the tobacco is a little more full in this one as well. Of course it does not have the Vanilla overtones, but maybe that is why it is less sweet.

I am wondering why it is called Tea for Two as there really is not a tea note to be found.

25 April, 2011

hollycat's avatar

The name does not sum up this fragrance at all. I get very little tea from this. I mostly get a smoky, spicy, slightly sweet oriental fragrance. It kind of smells like those sugar coated jelly candies that had a variety of flavors, and there was one jelly that was spicy, and as a kid I avoided those and ate all the cherry and grape ones. The spicy ones got hard and stale.

Theres something about it that reminds me of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanilla, but a tamer version. I find it to be a comfort scent. Something to wear for yourself and not for others since the only way other people can smell it is if their noses are smashed up on your skin.

Its a interesting scent but not FBW due to the fact that it has such poor sillage. Longevity is nothing to brag about either. But Ive found this to be the case with all the L'art scents Ive tried so far.

18 March, 2011

Humanfactor's avatar

Everyone notes the tobacco scent in T4T, but I mostly get a strong honey note. I do find it a bit too sweet but there is something quite familiar in this scent that I can't clearly describe but that is very welcoming, very likable even comforting. I also agree with some of the other reviewers that it is a very linear experience, I don't notice any changes from top to middle to base note.. should they have structured this fragrance in such a way. I find the silage to be quite capable... it will be noticed. I also find it lasting throughout the day. I think I might more be prone to wear this in the evening hours, and during the cool weather months. If I do notice a smokiness, I think it might be more that from a smoldering fireplace than from a pack of Marlboro's.

05 March, 2011

Spoombung's avatar

Okay, the first thing to note before anything else is THIS DOES NOT SMELL OF TEA! (as the name suggests). It smells of spicy, smoky cinnamon, NOT TEA!

All the others reviewers have described this really well: rich, heavy, sweet pipe tobacco with a witty hint of ciggie ash. There are other fragrances with a similar theme but this one really stands out quality wise. Unfortunately, in keeping with many scents in the L'Artisan range, it doesn't last that long... maybe a couple of hours or so.

It can be hard to find the right occasion to wear this but I would say it definitely suits wintery pub evenings in front of open fires surrounded by red, flocked wallpaper. In fact it's often too wintery for winter.

29 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2011)

The_Cologneist's avatar

And so it shows.. there's a reason why this one is the most talked about from this house.. it is amazing. Especially if you're a smoker or ex smoker, because this really captures everything. From the tobacco, to the ash tray, to the hookah pipe, to the secondhand smoke, and everything in between, this ladies and gentleman is the tobacco experience. In fact "The Tobacco Experience" would be a far better name than "Tea for Two". I mostly get tobacco, but I certainly pick up on the tea as well. And what I really really love about this tea note, is that it isn't your green tea's, or your herbals, or white or black or Chinese, or anything that may be unfamiliar to people. This is the classic tea. This is, Lipton or Luizianne tea bags. Dark, robust, and very familiar to the nose. It's not always fun to have to smell something that isn't familiar to you. But, with this.. tea and tobacco dominating, both of those smells are familiar to everybody. There's a great smokiness that makes me feel as if a lit pipe is radiating off my skin. I don't get anything overly sweet that others have claimed to have gotten. I get a very natural sweetness. The natural sweetness from the tobacco and tea, with just a touch of honey, as L'Artisan loves to put a little drizzle of honey in many of their fragrances.

What separates this from other fine tobacco fragrances like Tobbaco Vanille, is how this captures the experience. Tobacco Vanille is exceellent, yes, but artificially gourmand. Tobacco doesn't smell gourmand. Pipe tobacco smells a little bit sweet, but a bit sour as well. I can't explain this one enough, I would suggest anybody reading this who likes tobacco fragrances give this one a test drive.

Projection on my skin was pretty good, I noticed L'Artisan fragrances to project in their own unique way, don't expect to fill up a room with your fragrance with any from their house.. and don't expect for anybody further than 1 foot (maybe a little more) away to smell you. Longevity for me was 7-8 hours, but I suspect it could be much more on clothing.. or in general, I was working with a decant (non spray). Which often doesn't give you everything a fragrance has to offer, as the full sprayer would. Also this fragrance is pretty linear, what you see is what you get, what you get in the opening is gonna be about the same as the dry down. There are 2 star players here.. tobacco and tea. They always appear to be as separates rather than blend together, I could always smell them apart.

If you have the opportunity to sample this one, give it a throw.. it's super nice.

05 January, 2011

debbborra's avatar

This one is dangerous for me. I'm an exsmoker and the ashtray note, which is pronounced, but inoffensively so, on me, is giving me such a craving for a smoke. Not just ashtray, but smoked tea, and unlit tobacco as well.
    It's a sweet and serious smell, feminine, but not so much so that a man couldn't wear this.
    The initial impression is lemon (it's actually bergamot) and leather.It softens within minutes to a pipe tobacco and finally, smoky tea, and a couple of hours in, yes, a kind of delicious interpretation of ashtray.

17 December, 2010

pistachio's avatar

Okay, this is a strange one. First, the beginning is bitter and cool, like an ashtray in an air conditioned car. Why L'Artisan made this "smoke tea" note so strong, I don't know. Maybe to make it last longer when the other notes emerge? Who knows.

I do know I love the scent that emerges and takes the edge off the smoke. It's warm and sweet. People say they smell honey and milk, but unless the heating's on very high, I don't get it. What I do get most of the time without stretching my nose or imagination too far, is warm, sweet incense. The incense part is supple, not thick church stuff. What I love about the warmth, sweetness, and supple smoke is that they float up at different times, something I've never experienced smelling a perfume. And when the scent fades, it tends to smell...like cream powder...almost marshmallow-y. It's absolutely delicious.

Altogether, this scent is cuddly and delicate, with a bit of mysterious smoke for sophistication. Unique and great for fall but only the indoors in winter, because it goes flat in cold air.

02 October, 2010

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Quite a beauty - with 'some tea' notes in it- I don't find it intensely like lapssong suchong tea .It seems to be a well behaved light oriental tea scent on my skin .it hasn't got the smokey lapsong accord as Cartier's La Treizieme Heure has .
    All in all ,a perfectly acceptable tea scent but not dramatically 'tea', to me .

20th September, 2010

zenana's avatar

The tea is not overwhelming for me -- the opening burst of cinnamon is almost too much, but that dissipates quickly, leaving a clear, rich dry tobacco -- like the inside of a smoke shop. Or, as someone suggested earlier, like the smell of clove cigarettes lingering on clothes a day later. On drydown the warm spices emerge again. The danger is one might end up smelling just a bit too much like a Pier One candle. But close to the skin, on a guy, this would be dynamite, totally sexy.

18 August, 2010

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Too feminine for me, but would be very nice indeed on the kind of woman who appears sweet but has a spicy side. The scent itself reminds me of the moment you blow out a candle and inhale a combination of smoke and wax with a dash of vanilla. Some cinnamon lightly in the background as well. Very naturally appealing. Romantic in the way of four-poster beds. Pleasant to cuddle someone wearing this close-to-the-skin scent.

14 August, 2010

odysseusm's avatar

This has quite a sweet opening, due to the honey. There are also floral notes of some kind here. The scent is rich and opulent. There are only hints of a generic sort of tea. In my opinion, lapsang-souchong should lend a really formidable and distinctive smoky note. At times, a light smoke and wood note appears. The wood seems like pencil shavings so must be cedar. I think the smoke and wood should be increased, and the honey decreased. Then you’d have something interesting. This is rather bland.

24 June, 2010