Positive Reviews of Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Find out more about Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

My thoughts on Tea for Two have evolved significantly since I first tried it. In 2007 I wrote:

“Wow! The smoky Lapsang Souchong tea is remarkably real here! Maybe too real. I love Lapsang Souchong tea, but I want to drink it, not wear it. Would be great as a room scent.”

Now I’m more than willing to wear it. The smoky tea is potable without a doubt, but it’s the brilliantly translucent oriental structure underneath that makes this scent so special. It is a particularly fine example of Olivia Giacobetti’s talent for illuminating olfactory spaces normally shrouded in darkness. (See her Idole de Lubin for another telling instance.) Try Tea for Two if your idea of oriental mystery includes both smoke and golden light.

05th July, 2014

rbaker's avatar

It starts with a cinnamon tone that is soon developing into a delicious tea note; bit like a milder version of a Ruhuna that adopts a gently smoky character later in the drydown.  A bit of ginger and honey emanate in the base notes, with an underlying soft spiciness. Silage is poor and it is always  very close to my skin, but the longevity is a good five hours. A delicious scent. There are rumours of its discontinuation.

31st October, 2013

calnadur's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Okay you cant deny Tea for Two a positive review, very simply put, it is a good fragrance.

Only a couple of remarks though:

1. I wish the initial smokey/tea notes would last a little longer before settling in the however beautiful and elegantly sweet drydown

2. What's in a name? When you read "Tea for Two" you naturally tend to focus on "Tea", and expect that to be the dominant character of the scent, to then possibly get disappointed if you dont find as much tea in the scent as you'd imagined. However the second part of the name here is just as important; what I guess "for Two" stands for in this case is an encouragement to share this intimate and delicate pleasure with a close partner; possibly also because the scent doesnt "radiate" hugely, so being closer than an arm's length does help appreciate this adorable little pearl.

24th March, 2013 (Last Edited: 03rd April, 2013)

bobsmells's avatar

This smells just like the Chai I can buy at my local cafe! Why are all of my favorite scents discontinued!!??

14th March, 2013

The Monaco's avatar

Germany Germany

Absolutelly not a fragrance in the way I knew fragrances before. English Teahouse.
    Black tea, tobacco leaves (danish pipe tobacco) a strong incense / smoke start. At the end vanilla sweet black tea. No flowers or fruits, as much as my nose can detect. No idea why this should be for women also. Absolutelly masculine.
    I think I like it very much.

31st July, 2012

CaliDude's avatar

Great tea scent. Glad I picked this up when I did, considering it's discontinued (you should still be able to find it on Amazon though). This is a spicey, a bit smokey, tea scent. Bought it blind expecting the same tea note as Creed's Silver Mountain Water - it's not similar at all, but I'm still very happy with my purchase.

I realized that longevity & sillage is all based on the number of sprays, what you're wearing, and the weather outside. This is more of a warm weather scent. If you are wearing a couple layers of clothing, a spray on each pulse points should be enough. However, if you're just wearing a t-shirt, you can go liberal on the sprayer.

Also be aware that this is an EDT, so don't expect killer projection with just a couple sprays.

24th June, 2012

jamwires's avatar

Wow.

It took me a while to get around to trying this one, cause I had read that it was "so smoky," etc. I get the smoke reference to a point, but this stuff doesn't smell like cigarette smoke to me.

Tea for Two has an awesome black tea note. I've drank thousands of cups of black tea in my life, so that note is very familiar. The rest of the fragrance to me, reminds me a lot of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, but smoother, and honestly, better than TV.

As far as being unisex, I could see that I suppose. That said, when I wear this stuff, I don't feel remotely like I'm wearing something feminine. I'm all man, lady!

9.5/10

17th May, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

Tea for Two, is thankfully not all about the tea. I had a great fear that it would turn out like Bvlgari's Eau Parfumee au The Rouge, which is the closest thing to rich, black tea that I've ever come across.

L'Artisan's Tea for Two opens quite spicy and leathery. I immediately detected a hint of steamy warmth, the sensual kind which suits both men and women. It was cozy, dark, intense and in some instances, a little tobacco-like.

I didn't sense the tea note until the heart, which takes on a less foody role and more aromatic when blended with the smokey spices. There's also a touch of sweetness in this composition, kind of like a drizzle of honey in a cup of chai tea.

The vanilla in the drydown, when blended with the spices, reminds me of a softer, more feminine version of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. It has that familiar rich and sensual aroma, that while unisex, makes me feel like a confident, sexy woman.

I kind of avoided this fragrance because of the tea reference. I can only stomach green tea, and even still it's not my drink of choice. People in the same vote should not disregard this fragrance. It's perfect for those who love bold, spicy, slightly masculine, smokey and exotic fragrances.

Tea for Two is romantic, a little old-fashioned and rather unique. I love how special this smells on my skin. It's just the scent to wear on a cold, rainy day as it gives me that feeling of being warm, regal and classy.

04th April, 2012

bluelit8's avatar

Tea for Two just smells good, and for once a purely good-smelling fragrance deserves to be recognized as a true masterpiece. (While I'm a fan of L'Artisan in general, only Tea For Two, Dzing! and Timbuktu deserve the gold star in my book).

Tea for Two opens with an intensely smoky, bitter black tea note, which is said to be the odor of Lapsang Souchong tea but others read as pipe tobacco. This is actually my favorite part of the fragrance, though some commentators here seem to find it offputting. Not to fear, though -- it quickly softens into a long-lasting spice/smoke/honey accord. There is far less ginger in this fragrance than in Lutens' Five O' Clock au Gingembre and also less vanilla and amber, so the overall effect is dry and warm rather than soft and plush.

As orientals go this one has decent longevity and sillage but won't knock people over if you spray three or four times. I like to wear it in the winter, when its comforting smells and the memories it conjures act like protection against the snow and damp.

20th January, 2012

nonnative's avatar

While on the mouillette and on me t42 isn't nice and is unwearable, on my husband is gorgeous! It makes me hugging and sniffing him all the time. Perhaps it's my favourite scent for him. You don't have to stick to the smoky first notes, there is much more behind the smoke. There is tea, warm and tasty, served in a stylish porcelain cup (not in a mug!) and on the saucer there is a silver spoon. There are yellow and brown leaves outside the window, carried away by a chilly winter wind. But who cares? You are liying on a sofa in front of the fireplace, in the arms of a hansome man wearing a cachmire jumper. Could I ask for more?

02nd December, 2011

Scent-imental's avatar

I got a 15 ml sample of this several years ago off Ebay, mainly curious about the name, and was instantly besotted by the sweet spiciness, it reminded me of the Body Shop's Frankincense perfume oil i bought constantly in the 80's, yet i don't know whether either have any Frankincense in. The Body Shop stopped doing their Frankincense Perfume Oil, so i bought Tea for Two, at a considerably higher price.
    But that comforting, cosy, warm feel that has been described by others, exists for me, and evokes memories of when life was easy.
    I get the honey coming through strongly, and hints of the ginger, and that lovely smokiness.
    Longevity, well i put some on yesterday afternoon, and was still getting aromatic smoky warm wafts well into the evening, but i agree, the sillage isn't good, and i have to stick my neck in peoples nose, to make them "fully appreciate" my lovely scent.

I'm onto my 3rd bottle of this, and feel i am somewhat boring by doing this, and need a new spicy perfume, so hint hint, if anyone knows a good spicy warm, and with Frankincense, i do have an empty inbox

Massive thumbs up from me

18th September, 2011

alfarom's avatar

A smoky and spicy combo of dry tobacco and tea. Mr Turin compares this to Indian Chai tea but I've to firmly disagree with him considering that cardamom plays a quite important role in the Chai's original formula while it's completely inexistent in Tea For Two. Spices here, are mainly cinnamon and star anise that play an important role, with some ambery-vanilla, balancing the general dryness with a slight touch of sweetness. Not as complex as others of the Giacobetti's compositions but still an above the average "modern-oriental". Good work.

31st August, 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Tea for two opens with a dominant chord of black tea, such as Gucci Pour Homme II, but more intense, richer, along with some cinnamon and a floral chord (star anise?) That although not in the notes, I can feel.

And so it continues, giving more space for a smoky and dense chord in the course of time, but by no means overwhelming.

At the base notes then we have the emergence of honey which mixed with the aroma of black tea, gives a sensational chord to the fragrance.

Anyway, very nice! An adult version of the Gucci Pour Homme II.

21st August, 2011

sophi's avatar

Greece Greece

Ginger cinnamon and spices...such a woody perfume...strong and different .then the stroll;the metamorphorsis ...warm smoky vanillia until it faints away..great sillage and longevity,too!
    Cozy like you are sitting in front of a smoky fireplace in a cold ,dark winter night!

29th April, 2011

digger51's avatar

I have Back to Black by Killian and Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. I actually like Tea for two better. Why, it is less sweet than the other two. It still has a sweetness to it but it is not as pervassive as the sweetness is in the other two. I think the tobacco is a little more full in this one as well. Of course it does not have the Vanilla overtones, but maybe that is why it is less sweet.

I am wondering why it is called Tea for Two as there really is not a tea note to be found.

25th April, 2011

Humanfactor's avatar

Everyone notes the tobacco scent in T4T, but I mostly get a strong honey note. I do find it a bit too sweet but there is something quite familiar in this scent that I can't clearly describe but that is very welcoming, very likable even comforting. I also agree with some of the other reviewers that it is a very linear experience, I don't notice any changes from top to middle to base note.. should they have structured this fragrance in such a way. I find the silage to be quite capable... it will be noticed. I also find it lasting throughout the day. I think I might more be prone to wear this in the evening hours, and during the cool weather months. If I do notice a smokiness, I think it might be more that from a smoldering fireplace than from a pack of Marlboro's.

05th March, 2011

The_Cologneist's avatar

And so it shows.. there's a reason why this one is the most talked about from this house.. it is amazing. Especially if you're a smoker or ex smoker, because this really captures everything. From the tobacco, to the ash tray, to the hookah pipe, to the secondhand smoke, and everything in between, this ladies and gentleman is the tobacco experience. In fact "The Tobacco Experience" would be a far better name than "Tea for Two". I mostly get tobacco, but I certainly pick up on the tea as well. And what I really really love about this tea note, is that it isn't your green tea's, or your herbals, or white or black or Chinese, or anything that may be unfamiliar to people. This is the classic tea. This is, Lipton or Luizianne tea bags. Dark, robust, and very familiar to the nose. It's not always fun to have to smell something that isn't familiar to you. But, with this.. tea and tobacco dominating, both of those smells are familiar to everybody. There's a great smokiness that makes me feel as if a lit pipe is radiating off my skin. I don't get anything overly sweet that others have claimed to have gotten. I get a very natural sweetness. The natural sweetness from the tobacco and tea, with just a touch of honey, as L'Artisan loves to put a little drizzle of honey in many of their fragrances.

What separates this from other fine tobacco fragrances like Tobbaco Vanille, is how this captures the experience. Tobacco Vanille is exceellent, yes, but artificially gourmand. Tobacco doesn't smell gourmand. Pipe tobacco smells a little bit sweet, but a bit sour as well. I can't explain this one enough, I would suggest anybody reading this who likes tobacco fragrances give this one a test drive.

Projection on my skin was pretty good, I noticed L'Artisan fragrances to project in their own unique way, don't expect to fill up a room with your fragrance with any from their house.. and don't expect for anybody further than 1 foot (maybe a little more) away to smell you. Longevity for me was 7-8 hours, but I suspect it could be much more on clothing.. or in general, I was working with a decant (non spray). Which often doesn't give you everything a fragrance has to offer, as the full sprayer would. Also this fragrance is pretty linear, what you see is what you get, what you get in the opening is gonna be about the same as the dry down. There are 2 star players here.. tobacco and tea. They always appear to be as separates rather than blend together, I could always smell them apart.

If you have the opportunity to sample this one, give it a throw.. it's super nice.

05th January, 2011

debbborra's avatar

This one is dangerous for me. I'm an exsmoker and the ashtray note, which is pronounced, but inoffensively so, on me, is giving me such a craving for a smoke. Not just ashtray, but smoked tea, and unlit tobacco as well.
    It's a sweet and serious smell, feminine, but not so much so that a man couldn't wear this.
    The initial impression is lemon (it's actually bergamot) and leather.It softens within minutes to a pipe tobacco and finally, smoky tea, and a couple of hours in, yes, a kind of delicious interpretation of ashtray.

17th December, 2010

pistachio's avatar

Okay, this is a strange one. First, the beginning is bitter and cool, like an ashtray in an air conditioned car. Why L'Artisan made this "smoke tea" note so strong, I don't know. Maybe to make it last longer when the other notes emerge? Who knows.

I do know I love the scent that emerges and takes the edge off the smoke. It's warm and sweet. People say they smell honey and milk, but unless the heating's on very high, I don't get it. What I do get most of the time without stretching my nose or imagination too far, is warm, sweet incense. The incense part is supple, not thick church stuff. What I love about the warmth, sweetness, and supple smoke is that they float up at different times, something I've never experienced smelling a perfume. And when the scent fades, it tends to smell...like cream powder...almost marshmallow-y. It's absolutely delicious.

Altogether, this scent is cuddly and delicate, with a bit of mysterious smoke for sophistication. Unique and great for fall but only the indoors in winter, because it goes flat in cold air.

02nd October, 2010

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Quite a beauty - with 'some tea' notes in it- I don't find it intensely like lapssong suchong tea .It seems to be a well behaved light oriental tea scent on my skin .it hasn't got the smokey lapsong accord as Cartier's La Treizieme Heure has .
    All in all ,a perfectly acceptable tea scent but not dramatically 'tea', to me .

20th September, 2010

zenana's avatar

The tea is not overwhelming for me -- the opening burst of cinnamon is almost too much, but that dissipates quickly, leaving a clear, rich dry tobacco -- like the inside of a smoke shop. Or, as someone suggested earlier, like the smell of clove cigarettes lingering on clothes a day later. On drydown the warm spices emerge again. The danger is one might end up smelling just a bit too much like a Pier One candle. But close to the skin, on a guy, this would be dynamite, totally sexy.

18th August, 2010

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Too feminine for me, but would be very nice indeed on the kind of woman who appears sweet but has a spicy side. The scent itself reminds me of the moment you blow out a candle and inhale a combination of smoke and wax with a dash of vanilla. Some cinnamon lightly in the background as well. Very naturally appealing. Romantic in the way of four-poster beds. Pleasant to cuddle someone wearing this close-to-the-skin scent.

14th August, 2010

Zhara8's avatar

Such a true black tea fragrance, so complex, so reassuring, so delightful - and surely that's tobacco as well? Leaves just packed from curing, not yet smoky - but full of the promise or smoke. To be smoked, a precognition of smoke, intuitive smoke awareness. A velvet smoking jacket, porcelain cups clinking against saucers..... but no tea party here - instead this is Mycroft's afternoon cup in his favorite cordovan leather chair, just opening a freshly stocked humidor.

The problem? While Tea for Two might give the aroma of the Diogenese Club, it does so only in the faintest of whispers. This is scent of a letter written on stationary that only momentarily resided in Mycroft's desk. This is a slip of air escaping the foyer of the club out into the street on a rainy afternoon, only to be drowned out mere inches outside of the door. Tea for Two wears as close to my skin as a stocking, which is barely any fun for me, and certainly not the faintest trace of a clue for anyone else to find.

. . . . . . . .

saaaaaayyyy...... now *THERE'S* an idea: Tea for Two Extreme.

20th February, 2010

Morgaine's avatar

Tea for Two is one that I learned to appreciate. The intensely smoky opening used to be too much to handle, now I like it a lot. I concur with other reviewers: charred lapsang suchong tea, sweetened with a touch of honey and supported by a candied ginger/gingerbread accord. I'm not complaining.
    Goes a bit flat in the dry-down (as many L'Artisans do, somehow), but not so much that it bothers me. The main event *is* the opening, though.

16th December, 2009

jstrife's avatar

An uncomplicated smokey, clove-tinged sweet sticky tea scent. To me it smells like the barest whisper of the finest leather, enveloped in the smoke of a clove cigarette - it smells the way a Djarum tastes! Terribly sad that it has zero sillage and poor longevity on my skin but I wear it constantly anyway, because it invites people to get closer. Excellent for a date.

02nd November, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

L'Artisan Tea for Two

While I know many people love their coffee, my preferred way to caffeinate myself is through tea. There has been a similar expansion of choices in both coffee and tea over the last few years and I have really enjoyed trying many teas I had only heard of before. One of those teas is lapsang souchong which is a black tea which is dried over a wood fire which imparts a smoky flavor and aroma to it. I had only recently fell in love with lapsang souching the tea when I came across the 2000 release for L'artisan, Tea for Two. Tea for Two was created by Olivia Giacobetti and it is lapsang souchong in a bottle and it is wonderful, to me. I can definitely understand not wanting to smell like a cup of tea but the choice to emulate a smoky black tea gives Tea for Two more character than one might expect from a fragrance named Tea for Two. Right from the top the smoky aspect is apparent and that's the first note I get upon application, this is followed by the note of really rich black tea and here is where Tea for Two smells just like my tin of lapsang souchong right after I open it. Moving forward, Mme. Giacobetti adds in some of the accoutrements of a tea service as the next two notes are the twin spices of cinnamon and ginger. both of these add a spiciness to things but are done with Mme. Giacobetti's trademark etherealness so that while they add heft and contrast they never seem to take over this scent, instead they hover at arm's length. The base is a mix of honey and vanilla with the honey being the more prominent of the two notes. The choice of the sweetness of honey to add balance to the smoky tea is my favorite part of Tea for Two and it is here where Tea for Two spends most of its time on my skin. Tea for Two has above average longevity and sillage, on me. I'm not sure everyone will want to smell like a cup of lapsang souchong lightly sweetened with honey but if this sounds like your...um... cup of tea; drink up and breathe in you're in for a treat.

10th October, 2009

Asha's avatar

L'Artisan Tea for Two

Notes: ginger, cinnamon, green anise, honey, vanilla (from luckyscent.com)

Tea for Two starts with a smoky, leathery and slightly fruity tea accord. The smoke note is a bit plastic smelling, similar to how synthetic birch tar sometimes smells. It is a bit petrochemical but not off-putting. As the smoky note attenuates in the first ten minutes, some faintly sweet, powdery vanilla and a spice blend of cinnamon and clove come forward. This is considerably more gourmand that I expected, and heavier than most other L'Artisan fragrances I have tried. In the middle to late development, it is quite delicious, a sort of Chai Tea made from tarry black Lapsang Souchong. I absolutely adore this stage which is blissfully long-lived on my skin (about two hours). The leather illusion is rather complete, and is not really hinted at in the published notes. The tea actually takes on more of a support role, which is quite good considering the tea accord on its own can become a bit boring at best and annoyingly irritating at worst. The only real complaint I have about T42 is that the cinnamon note eventually starts to resemble either potpourri or a scented candle, depending on your perspective. This happens in the late drydown when many of the other ingredients have faded. Still, I find T42 to be one of the better offerings from this house, and recommend it for male or female lovers of leather, tea or spicy fragrances.

27th September, 2009

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Although it doesn't smell exactly like it, Tea for Two reminnds me of Serge Luten's Arabie, but Dante and TaraYvonne hit the nail on the head with their description of the "smoky" note that everybody is referring to when they said it smells like cigarette smoke. I like Tea for Two and think that that note makes this scent intriguiging (is that spelled right?) even though I'm not a smoker After applied this note does smell literally like cigarette smoke on your skin or clothes. However, as the scent dries down the it turns into something less smokey and more like warm spiced wood. This is definitely a unisex scent.

15th July, 2009

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Smokey sweet cinnamon tea with a slight dash of ginger. Smells like an Intense or Heavy, very very luxurious version of Gucci PH II. Almost the same price in the stores.

Sillage and longevity are alrighty.

09th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 22nd October, 2009)

seanestcontent's avatar

I worked at a tea shop, and I always found the Lapsang Souchong to be mildly offensive, but at the same time interesting. I loved its smokiness, so when I heard about Tea for Two I was immediately intrigued. After smelling it once, I definitely got the smokiness of the Lapsang Souchong, but I also enjoyed the subtly sweet vanilla. These paradoxical notes blended so well together for me, and made me feel warm. I love this fragrance! It's unique, and for me, there's nothing like it out there!

16th June, 2009