Neutral Reviews of The Dreamer by Versace

Find out more about The Dreamer by Versace in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Sybaris's avatar

Got this as a sample

The floral comes out plays around for an hour or so then retreats back to the skin.

The tobacco, .............didn't see it, ..........anywhere.

Also, I wouldn't really put this in an "original" category as it is very much like Joop! Homme.

14th February, 2014 (Last Edited: 24th February, 2014)

MapOfTheWoods's avatar

I'm one of those guys that likes to check something out based on a bad review. I see The Dreamer getting the crap kicked out of it in many places. I thought: "With a name like The Dreamer, this poor guy is getting the wrong reputation... apparently he's some kind of pushover." So I gave it a sniff.

I don't hate this. I really don't care for it much either. This is supposed to be a sweet tobacco fragrance, and I don't get tobacco. I DO get florals, and juniper. Floral and juniper sounds pretty great to me, actually. In this case, it just does not deliver the full effect. If we were using actual essential oils of these notes, and blended them, this would not smell like it does. I'm getting somewhat of an artificial vibe in there.

Does it smell good? I suppose it does, but it's certainly not going to work for everybody all of the time... it's another one of those hit-and-miss scents on certain days. Another multiple personality disorder fragrance, if you ask me.

Okay, strength. This is strong. People WILL smell you. You will most likely repel some. This is one of those designer fragrance monsters, for sure, in league with the power of Fahrenheit. And, like Fahrenheit, repeated wears will make your entire house smell like you. It's strong stuff. It lasts a super long time, and if you put it on in the afternoon of one day, the next afternoon, you will still have that Dreamer vibe (plus it will be in your bed).

I only have some samples of this, thank god. I would never buy an entire bottle of it. It just does not scream out to me for any reason. I never "get the urge" to wear it. I gave it a go, and that's that.

04th April, 2013

JackTwist's avatar

What no one seems to realize in all these reviews is that this is a copy of Guerlain's classic SHALIMAR.

Identical to my nose.

It's a question of preference to packaging and price as to which of the two one prefers.

I find it amusing that there are so many positive reviews for this, seemingly from men, who would not otherwise have even considered trying SHALIMAR.

Neutral only because it's a copy, not an original.

09th November, 2012

abethouin's avatar

One of the most unique scents I own, floral and dreamy, yet can sometimes give me a headache. Slightly feminine. -AT

25th September, 2012

hickorysmoke's avatar

Just boring, blah, even if you get it at the discount store I'm not sure anyone would wear this one much. The florals and bit of citrus remind me of a room deodorizer spray. I didn't get the tobacco at all. On my skin it stayed with the floral/lemon scent.

11th August, 2012

's avatar

I would say that Tim's review on YouTube had a lot to do with Dreamer's overhyped legend on the Internet. Dreamer by Vercace isn't a bad scent, but it's not a great scent either. It's just one of many examples in the fragrance world where the legend overshadows the fragrance itself. I'm not gonna bore you to death with talk of top notes to bottom notes, I just want to tell you to be careful with this one if you are thinking about making the money dive because The Dreamer is an acquired taste in my opinion. From the first spray, this Vercace legend is a rough ride and very old lady purfumey at first. Don't get me wrong, there is masculinity here, but this one could EASILY be unisex. I really do have mixed feelings about Dreamer, somedays I like it and others I regret buying it blindly. The scent is most certainly not very versatile. Dreamer will work best in more formal type events like church, weddings, funerals and romantic nights out with a lady. More of an evening and cooler weather scent. Not smooth at all and very dry. At the end of the day I have respect for this fragrance and still wear it, but do to the maturity of this fragrance I think this one is more in tune for the 30 and up crowd. Regardless there's still better stuff out there.

17th July, 2012

Ididudud's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

I have a tester for this frag. Flowery at the opening, sweet tobbaco at the drydown. I really love this scent but it disappear about 3 hours on my skin. Base on BNers review here that said it had great longevity, I thought that mine is a fake. So I bought a legit bottle. Its smells totally different from my tester. No tobbaco at all, only dark vanilla from top to drydwn, very linear to my nose. I really disappointed with this version of Dreamer.

26th May, 2012

The Israelite's avatar

I blind bought this fragrance based on alot of good reviews I had seen on youtube and read on BN.
    I bought it online at 29.99 for 100ml bottle which is a pretty good price. The package arrived this morning and I eagerly sprayed some on. As soon as I sprayed it I though this smells awful. The opening is a really clawing flowery scent which is a bit icky.
    However after around 25mins it drys down into a creamy vanilla scent with a sweetness from the tobacco which is really nice but a little feminine.

This fragrance stays a bit close to my skin and the longevity isnt too great (its starting to fade now after 4 hours) but at 29.99 I cant really complain.
    Iv heard this fragrance being compared to le male and to be honest le male beats this hands down.
    IOverall it has a nice dry down after a horrible opening and im not sure why this fragrance has a reputation for attracting the ladies, looks like I will have to put it to the test and see.

Longevity: 5/10
    Projection:6/10
    Fragrance:7/10

Overall : 6.5/10

14th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 19th February, 2012)

BattleShipp's avatar

I had high hopes from what I heard about this fragrance, but unfortunately it really doesn't smell too special on my skin. It smells very flowery and powdery, no tobacco at all, somewhat feminine. A lot of people seem to like it, I guess it just doesn't work with my skin. If anyone wants to swap, I've got a full bottle.

23rd December, 2011

10dadeo's avatar

this is a strange cologne. it doesn't really do anything well imo which is usually why a cologne is not good. maybe it was just no good for me.. let me try to describe it.. it opens for me with a strong mentholy synthetic sweet floral note, the menthol lasts about 20 minutes then its light floraly cigarette pack again. its heart notes are semi-sweet pungent flowers that almost smell llike they're rotting a bit but its not too noticeable. it gets kind of musky at this point and an in a couple hours some vanilla tobacco is introduced. its not terrible, but i think le male does this style much better.

13th December, 2011

Diki24's avatar

i bought this after being recommended by many. But i found it just ordinary. i think it has outlived its novelty by now. Aroma is unique but uninteresting. Longevity is good but projection is not great atleast on my skin.

01st September, 2011

taesmell's avatar

It is a good smell and longevity. Very smooth and exactly what its describe. I would use this fragrance if im tired from work and want to sleep right away without your gf/wife disturbing you because she will too be entice by the scent.However if your asian, you should sample it before buying cause the Dreamer smells like the milder version of white flower oil http://www.amazon.com/White-Flower-oil-67-oz/dp/B0009ML8NW

15th August, 2011

Darvant's avatar

The Versace Couture attempt of performing a dreamy, ethereal and romantic juice. The outcome is neutral cause while being the fragrance evocative, quite unique and tasty ( although i would not talk about a gourmand juice) it pains some synthetic traits, the excess of sweetness, the lack of distinction and a sort of anti-ethereal aromatic effect of hammam bath soap. The latter mentioned, i mean the bath soap trait, is nevertheless important cause its slight bitter effect (may be the effect of tobacco, cedar and tonka bean) tames a bit the general sweetness. Many find this fragrance off-limits at morning and i agree with them but who is looking for a daily confortable scent does certainly not look for The Dreamer. The opening is off- putting with its blast of grassy (sage and juniper) citrus, synthetic soap and lavender in notable amount. Twenty minutes later the crispy starting opens the door to an heart which combines the sweetness of flowers as powdery iris, lily and rose with the "sweet/bitter spiciness" from tobacco. The base is mellow and watery (still the citrus lavender and fluidy soap effect) at once by resins, vanilla, amber, tonka and presents a new addition of spicy woodiness by cedar and terragon. Cedar, tonka and tobacco, whereof the link provides to the scent a soapy, slightly bitter, bath soap effect , create a contrast with floral and tasty elements understating and fading a bit their sweetness. The fragrance is manly and not unisex in my opinion, longevity and sillage are notable.

20th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 09th February, 2014)

keenan13's avatar

Hmmm well, I wanted to love this one since so many others are so passionate about it. For me however it is just a bit too feminine. The floral top notes are somewhat overpowering and it can come off as more of a ladies scent to be honest. Definitely a try before buy. Not for me but I can see the appeal for others. Thanks

29th July, 2010

jlb2287's avatar

I don't exactly know what to make of this fragrance. The top notes are quite cloying, yet they die down after a short while (15-20 minutes on me). So the top notes are not too much of an issue although they are markedly synthetic. I do enjoy the dry down as it sweetens and mellows but it too seems to disappear quickly (about 2 hours or so). Total this fragrance lasts about two and a half or three hours on me and it never even gets to the leather/tarragon base that the chart shows. Although I do enjoy the dry down, the fleeting nature of this fragrance on my skin makes this a bad investment and I'm glad I only bought the 10 dollar mini. I would say an even 5/10 for me.

PS...I really tried to like this fragrance

05th August, 2009

6opar's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

I believe the Dreamer is a highly exaggerated and overestimated edt. Not that it does not smell nice , it does. Not that it is not long lasting or powerful, it is. In the past two weeks i have been wearing it, and yes, got some compliments. But is highly "artificial", that's what it is. Its mighty in-the-nose synthetic mess is something i do not quite approve.
    On my skin the first seconds bring citrus reminiscense which I cannot figure out. In fact it is little i can get from this cologne.What dominates through the long life of the dreamer and is obvious to my nose is the sweetened tobacco note in the base. This is a daytime wear and is a bit eccentric, but far away from classy style.

25th April, 2009

rinosaur's avatar

Repulsive up to 15 minutes after spraying, smells like south asian/arab spices. Then it dries down to a pretty smooth, creamy and unique sweetness.

21st April, 2009

tonijel's avatar

Croatia Croatia

nothing special, sweet and young.

17th February, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th March, 2009)

einsof's avatar

i have tried this.. as pure aroma experiment... the concept is gorgeous, but i cannot get past the chemical aftertaste. an organic reproduction would be a terrific challenge and might soften the top/middle notes.

11th February, 2009

BLADE's avatar

I was disappointed with this. I expected the horrendous opening (and it is) and expected the pleasant drydown...... but that's all it is to me - pleasant.

I've had compliments wearing it but as nice as the drydown is, there's a really cheap and synthetic flavour to it that puts me off considering a further purchase.

18th December, 2008

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Some of reviews compare The Dreamer and D and G for men. For me....absolutly different. With Le Male? Sure.

This sweet or floral experience is not bad if you like sweet or floral fragances (stupid conclusion, lol)
    For me, is a little bit loud and deep for some ocasions. Is not bad, but I prefer other fragances....The market is huge, I prefer to spend money in others. Ahhh......The longevity is pretty good.....Thats important, but not all.
    Conclusion: Not bad, but other options are better, including Le Male.

23rd November, 2008

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

The top notes are too harsh and the drydown is very long lasting and good , but I was expecting much more from this.

31st July, 2008

Bigsly's avatar

For those who don't like this, I suggest trying Cuba Gold (if you like the idea of a vanilla/tobacco frag). Won't cost you much and it doesn't have that "synthetic" top note issue that Dreamer does, but it does have decent longevity and sillage.

28th July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

I wore this once to an exciting day at the museums. That's not being sarcastic, I love museums, however, this cloying scent just depressed the mood. I'm not blaming the whole day on it but as a subjective matter I won't like this. SLightly spicy with vanilla, it lingers around a while. I don't enjoy this but I like its woody base with tobacco. I don't think this has stood the test of time... even if it's only a decade old.

04th June, 2008

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

I like tobacco smell so i put it on whenever i see on a shelf and enjoy sniffing on my wrist. On meit smells like it does in the bottle; a lot of tobacco with a bit iris and amber; nice but too masculine for a lady. Last week i had my husband next to me when i saw it on a perfumery shelf and while putting on me i give him a try. I cannot buy myself such a masculine fragrance but would be great if he liked and bought one i thought. but no chance. On him it was awful. No tobacco no amber. Just a disturbing intricate smell you find in an old pharmacy lab. Disappointed... The conclusion; do not buy it without trying or buy as a gift....

07th May, 2008

Kaern's avatar

Not sure with this one. I like the warmth of the basenotes, but it takes quite a long time to get there and even then it's a little cloying. I would prefer to wear Cristobal PH, when I'm wanting something sweet and sexy.

Kaern

14th April, 2008

Carl999's avatar

I truly wanted to love this cologne. And the bottle is so beautiful...

But there is something about this cologne that agitates me and gives me a headache after an hour...this particular element of The Dreamer smells overbearingly sweet. I wouldn't say that that element smells effiminate - I could never imagine a woman wearing this cologne - but the best way I can put it, is that this element is pulled of very well by metrosexual dandies and gay men. But I wouldn't say this this cologne is especially suited to dandies of gay men.

The smell itself is nice enough - but there is just something about it that really agitates me, and I can't really figure out what it is. I tried to palm it off onto a very close gay friend of mine at work, but he found that particular element/note unerving as well...

Perhaps its the lily-orris-amber-synthetic tonka accord. Those notes seem to dominate too much.

Otherwise, I like this cologne as much as is possble, factoring in my other issues with it.

I wish I could love it, but neither myself nor any of my male friends can pull it off at all.

P.S. No matter what this note pyramid says here on basenotes, I must insist that it should include "synthetic tonka".

Cheers.

03rd July, 2007

starbug's avatar

After the fruity opening, it settles down to the smell of a freshly opened pack of cigs.

23rd May, 2007

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

The name sound extremely promising, but the outcome is, in my opinion, only a moderate success. A certain herbal quality with medical minty notes, followed by a gourmand, even slightly liquorice-smelling spicyness. Smells, in my opinion, as a more casual, more odern and youthfully reworked version of a Mediterranean scent( Teorema Uomo?, 1881?...) made to appeal to a more mainstream and less mature and conservative target.

21st April, 2007

LiveJazz's avatar

It reminds me of a mix between two of my least favorite scents - Le Male and D&G PH - but it's better than either of those. It has Le Male's minty-sweet synthetic opening - but that fades pretty quickly. A lingering synthetic, light sweetness from the top remains to lighten the tobacco base, making it more tolerable than D&G's loud, wretched take on the note. As nice as the development is, the topnotes are just so synthetic, thick, and unpleasant. I can't give it a pure thumbs up, but I respect it.

14th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2009)