Reviews of Black by Kenneth Cole

I find Black to be a generic cologne. It smells good and is very masculine but does not stand out at all. I do not find it unique which is why I only gave three stars. I think that guys will like it more than girls, because it is very manly and sporty. 6.7/10.
03rd September, 2015
A supermely personal creation from start to end!you can not mistake this scent for anything else when poeople smell this,they know you are wearing KCB.first i am surprised by how freshness and brightness the smell is for it having the dark bottle.this one is in a few words Sophisticated,Virile,Elegant,Aromatic,Fresh, Elaborate and Versatile.

Fresh top notes of Mint,Basil and Ginger fade into charming heart of lotus,incense and cedar,while Musk, Violet leaf and Amber boring up KCB with an air of strength and masculinity as it is strong enough for you to smell it yet it isent overpowering.

This is such a wonderful fragrance that the magic stays with both wearer and the lucky person next to him.i would recommend for any season and any occasion.Perfect for smart man and finally Highly recommend if you are looking for something new you wont be disappointed.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

01st June, 2015
As a woman. Black by Kenneth Cole appealed to me. In fact, I bought it for a male friend as a birthday gift a few years ago. At that time it was scrumptious. NOT him. The fragrance! As my taste has improved though the years, I am drawn to more masculine scents. Widening my boundaries from the more "safer" ones. Still, it is a great buy. Highly recommended.

Oanh Schlesinger
20th October, 2014

Swanky Show all reviews
Not black. Not bad, though. Good longevity atypical of the citrus-based set. This would serve as a work scent or for casual occasions where more daring and complexity would be undesired.
14th October, 2014
This is a very sweet smelling and fruity perfume. Definitely seems like a summer scent. I hate the summer but I still like it and find it rather sexy as it starts to wind down after a few hours. It's not the best and not as different as I expected but let's just say I was pleasantly surprised
08th April, 2014

A real classy one. Matches well with the foreverness of summer in the tropics. Love the dry down. Stays long in ur skin. Love this Juize.

21st May, 2013
I like this Black a lot although I have decent amount of designer brands. Very soothing to me, the dry down is very nice. Highly recommended by me.
28th April, 2013
I like the warm spices and citrus I agree with someone else who questioned the name. Black? really? It rises above the generic masses in department stores.
02nd March, 2013
I can see that this perfume has aroused strong feelings of "yes" or "no" from it's users. Sweet and fruity. VERY sweet and fruity. But then, that's the beauty of it- ingredients that match and produce a distinct citrusy sweet, (even cloying at the beginning) smell that should have it's own following- especially for those who are looking forward to wearing something like that. OK, let's put it this way- KC Black resembles CK one but, like our good friend Perfume Collector rightly says (about CK one)- it's like mixing fruit juice and splashing it all over yourself; the only advantage being that it is not sticky like fruit juice !! KC Black is a more evolved blend of sweet flavours. And let's not even begin comparing it with 212 sexy men- that one is a disaster. This is the kind of flavour that I wanted to add to my collection- and here it is. I like it!! Thumbs up!!
06th December, 2012 (last edited: 09th December, 2012)
One of my pre-Basenotes signature scents, I have a difficult time with Kenneth Cole Black now. It's got an explosion of brightness in the topnotes, a mix of mint and ginger and lavender with an almost overwhelming chemical brightness. It's slightly sweet from a mix of fake citrus, that designer "grape drink" note, and that 90's green aquatic chemical smell, but the focus is definitely the brightness.

From there, it has its good days and its bad days. On a good day, I smell nuts and spices and charred cedar, like someone toasting nuts and coffee beans on a campfire with a dark but bright haze of mint and rubbing alcohol surrounding everything. On a bad day, it's like doing laundry, a gross chemical mix of steamy hot detergent and bleach. No matter what, it's intentionally very synthetic, a meeting point between a gross bleachy aquatic and a dark chemical "woody amber". Honestly, knowing what I do now, I don't think I can give Black a good rating - that bleachy smell is pretty unforgivable, but I've had some good times wearing this, so it'll always have a spot in my heart, gross synthetic notes or not.
14th November, 2012
Tony T Show all reviews
a very pleasant citrus scent. good for spring/summer but really that's it. great for the 25 and under crowd.
29th October, 2012
The first time I smelled this in the mall, I was not impressed. It just felt very "meh". I got a deal on a bottle and wore it today for the firs time and have changed my mind. It started out kind of floral and minty, too much for my taste, but that didn't last too long it settled into the middle tones and base tones (mostly the incense smoke and the suede). It lasted for a long long time and I really enjoyed wearing this. I think I would reserve this for cold or cool weather, but overall I would recommend this as a good middle of the road scent.
12th October, 2012
bFlay Show all reviews
Fairly intense juice with a fairly intense opening of suede and musk which softens to a rich spicy floral interspersed with smoke and incense. Masculine and pervasive, most definitely an "apply sparingly" fragrance suitable for day or evening, work or play. Base of leather and incense is both simple and reassuring. Lasts over 6 hours on skin and clothes combined. This is a great signature scent. Sophisticated and mature.
29th September, 2012

Ok, I'll be short about this one. Black? What's "Black" about this unimaginative citrusy with tad bit coffee junk of a perfume? "Black" is its name and the bottle. The scent itself is bland and forgettable.
02nd August, 2012
Clean fruity smell. Fairly long lasting, a good spring/summer scent.
16th April, 2012
Very nice, clean, woody smell. Longetivity and prejection is decent.
15th January, 2012
Black by Kenneth Cole - one is pleasantly treated to a very nice, spicy, mandarin orange opening, which spirals into the smoky, floral and green heart, thence the musky base smothers all ... I was disappointed since, given the moniker "Black", I was awaiting the appearance of heavy woods and leather, but none was to be had ... a ho-hum fragrance ... why choose a ragtag composition when a symphony of better made fragrances can be relished ... sillage is decent, but longevity is deplorable ...
10th November, 2011
I have to change my opinion about this fragrance. it is good fragrance with vibrant notes of mint, zest and spice with tinge of woods. i don't like the bottle though its too simple 4 me. average sillage and longevity.
I give it 7.5 out of 10.
05th August, 2011
I was a little confused when I tried Black for the first time. I didn't know that there was both a female and male version of the scent, I thought there was just one, and that Kenneth Cole Black was unisex.

Obviously now I understand, however I won't retract my original observation that this could be worn by both men and women.

There is something very unique and likable about this fragrance. It tends to be rather spicy and sweet, exotic in a sense.

The opening of ginger, mandarin orange, basil and mint is both refreshing yet delicate on the skin. Sensuality is projected through this fragrance quite strongly.

I find that the incense, nutmeg, ginger and cedar seem to be the driving force behind this fragrance. The combination of those notes create an intense and sexy aura. Incense in any fragrance usually turns out to be a hit with me because of its beautiful smokiness and mystery.

Unfortunately Kenneth Cole Black doesn't last for as long as I would have liked. I think it's very important to be able to enjoy this fragrance on the skin for as long as possible. However despite the poor lasting power, I do still recommend this fragrance to men and women alike.

30th June, 2011
My darling hubby wears this when he wants a change from his signature Issey Miyake and although I don't like it nearly as much as Issey, which is just perfect on him, Black smells great.
Synthetic up close, yes but fresh, a teensy bit zingy, a little different from a lot of men's scents in that it doesn't club you over the head with its masculinity but has a very yummy (official term) drydown.
Good for day or evening wear, esp in winter when its inital fresh notes mirror the chill in the air but the drydown warms it up.
14th March, 2011
It reminds me a lot of other fruity, musky or powdery scents out there as Polo Black, Hot Water etc. For me this is an industrial, fruity, musky, incensey creation full of spices and with a sort of licorice undertone. Nothing special, nothing really dark or seductive. Green notes, spices and ginger provide a mentholated undertone, violet leaves afford a tad of darkness while musk, amber, incense and hints of smoke enrich the semi oriental-dusty trail. The mandarin is very prominent and the black suede (combined with citrus, violet and musk) impresses to the fragrance a velvety, leathery slightly boise temperament. That's the part of the juice i prefer (the final suede). Surely appeling, modern, versatile and boringly pleasant.
09th February, 2011 (last edited: 09th January, 2014)
i am a bit confused on this one..many people seems to like it..but it just doesnt have the staying power on me..after 2,3 hours then its gone..i must admit that it have a nice smell tho and have the potential of an even better dry down but i wish it stays longer on me..again, no repeat buy..
03rd February, 2011
I just sprayed it on for the first time but but so far, it just 100% lemon juice. I hope the dry down will offer nice changes.
25th January, 2011
A Very mixed up synthetic opening
a WONDERFUL drydown with great longevity.

Kenneth Cole Black is very masculine and woodsy frag but somewhere my mint got lost as I can't find it anywhere.
Where's the Mint???

I agree with Sir Slarty that this is very, very similar to Polo Black.
But I still find a bit of difference in this one that would constitute wearing this at either a casual or even a formal event.
I like it.

24th January, 2011
Bigsly Show all reviews
Unlike some others, I dislike the top notes (too "synthetic" and/or confused) and find that it has great longevity, especially if you get a little on your shirt (I spray while I have a shirt on but not yet buttoned up). Also, this is not a fragrance you want to smell close up. It needs to "breathe" in order to avoid it smelling too synthetic. The drydown I get is mostly a dry incense with an herbal quality (similar to lavender, if it's not lavender), and some of the citrus continuing from the top notes. It's also a little musky. I spray once, just above the navel, to keep it from being irritating. Is it "exciting?" I guess not, but if this is what you're looking for, I'd call it a bargain at current prices, because there's nothing really "wrong" with it, so long as you take the right precautions if you are sensitive, as I am, with some of the notes or accords here.
08th July, 2010
This is actually a pretty solid fragrance. I used to wear it quite a lot when it first came out but it got really popular where I live and I was tired of smelling it everywhere so I stopped wearing it myself. While its nothing new or exciting its just an extremely versatile cologne that can be worn all year round in pretty much any setting: interview, bar, date, etc. If you're looking for a solid everyday scent with good silliage and longevity this is it.
19th April, 2010
I really like the opening of this fragrance. Smells really clean with the notes of mandarin citrus. I gave it a 3 star rating because it only last about an hour.
23rd February, 2010
i wouldnt say not at all highly complex or unique, but there is something about black that makes it so spectacular, somewhat of a lemony scent lessens to leave a really rich kinda smokey sandlewood scent on my skin, i run and excercise with it and the drydown for some reason mixed with sweat is extremely good, i would definately not get rid of this,
31st January, 2010
A contemporary scent on this one. The notes are very well crafted which makes it fairly authentic. The dry down is is cosy (black suede? musk?)and slightly fresh (mint?)
I highly recommend this.
27th January, 2010
Good Ol' Kenneth Coty Blah...

Really, I can see how this mix gives "permission" but I've already brushed my teeth and took a shower...and too much/extra Blah is a migraine.

There are actually better Coty fragrances...and better smelling deodorants.
13th December, 2009