Negative Reviews of Black by Kenneth Cole

Find out more about Black by Kenneth Cole in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Ok, I'll be short about this one. Black? What's "Black" about this unimaginative citrusy with tad bit coffee junk of a perfume? "Black" is its name and the bottle. The scent itself is bland and forgettable.

02 August, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar
    dollars&scents

Black by Kenneth Cole - one is pleasantly treated to a very nice, spicy, mandarin orange opening, which spirals into the smoky, floral and green heart, thence the musky base smothers all ... I was disappointed since, given the moniker "Black", I was awaiting the appearance of heavy woods and leather, but none was to be had ... a ho-hum fragrance ... why choose a ragtag composition when a symphony of better made fragrances can be relished ... sillage is decent, but longevity is deplorable ...

10th November, 2011

ortho123's avatar
    ortho123

Good Ol' Kenneth Coty Blah...

Really, I can see how this mix gives "permission" but I've already brushed my teeth and took a shower...and too much/extra Blah is a migraine.

There are actually better Coty fragrances...and better smelling deodorants.

13 December, 2009

derango1's avatar
    derango1

I received a bottle of this free from my mother. I normally wouldn't buy anything like this. I agree with the other reviewers that it is very synthetic smelling. I really don't mind synthetic's all that much, but this is a bit over the top, I like the minty gingery opening. But the dry down was too much for me. It was a scrubber. But even after I scrubbed it, I could still smell it.

29 June, 2009

RCavs's avatar
    RCavs
    Brazil Brazil

In my opinion, this is the worst KC's fragrance. I own Reaction and New York and although they're both simple scents, they smell nice while they last. With this one, I can't feel the same. It's also quite simple, but I can't see any beauty in this
    vulgar formula. Mint, mint and mint. The same smell of a minty bubble gum.
    Looking at the pyramid I see so many notes...And the combination results in a common sweet and slightly floral smell. All hidden under a powerful synthetic
    minty cloud... A minty bubble gum with a sweet note. And It's called "Black"...
    I just wonder why it was necessary to allocate 2 perfumers to produce such an uninspiring fragrance.

30th December, 2008

Dusan's avatar
    Dusan
    Serbia Serbia

Synthetic to the core and I mean this in the worst possible way. No redeeming features. In a word - vile.

29 September, 2008

Peter Henry's avatar
    Peter Henry

Some guy on some blog told me about this cologne.
    I went to Macy's to check it out.
    I don't like it. It tooooo spicey in that tobbacooey flavor.

I mean, you shouldn't spicey with tobacco cause it's NOT a good idea.
    They claim it's not tobacco but suede and the spice I'm smelling is "incense" but whatever, it's still not a good idea to mix the too.

ewwww.....

19 June, 2008

foetidus

Black? Well if fruity, sweet spicy, and minty is black…then this could be called black…but “black” is certainly a stretch under real world definitions and expectations. Kenneth Cole Black hardly merits discussion because it is such a lightweight fragrance: synthetic, shallow, copycat, and short lived. Also, the use of script capital letters to label the bottle exhibits a basic lack of taste. If they can’t get something as simple not using capital script letters right, how can they create a decent fragrance? Kenneth Cole Black smells like three dozen other mediocre offerings from the lower tier designers. Black? Give me a break — it’s just plain boring and unoriginal.

02 November, 2007

The Duke's avatar
    The Duke

Soapy flowers and black licorice. Just not for me.

14 May, 2007

sshak13's avatar
    sshak13

i was at macys and i thought lets give black another try. sprayed it on the card, remembered then why i never liked it. it smells like nothing. like paper. i dont understand!

26 March, 2007

G23riel's avatar
    G23riel
    Romania Romania

First few minutes are wonderful: the top is a medley of notes including incense, leaves, ginger, mint married together to give a an aromatic uplifting pleasure. Then the the middle notes are amber and very forgetable. The fragrance lasts less than 3 hours on me and the good part 30 minutes! What a ripoff! I have given this to someone else! 1/10

21st January, 2007

bonzo's avatar
    bonzo
    Germany Germany

i must say that it should be forbidden that evry fashion designer launches his perfume-again a very sad and average perfume.....Black?!You don´t know what BLACK is!?Black is Bandit by Robert Piguet-there is this black mystique and dark odeur!But Black of Kenneth cole is a bit Happy of Clinique mixed with a bit 212 etc.Nothing special- as it has been said:mediocre!Why does noone dare to launch a personal and individual perfume he is convinced of and stands befind???Instead we get cheap,simple scents that meet the expectations of the market!Has Mr.Cole ever tasted the perfumes of Balmain,Lucien Lelong,Chanel-these are great scents!Or the unforgettable Schiaprelly or Nina Ricci?Please, be more risky !

07 October, 2006

oolong's avatar
    oolong

I recently picked up a bottle of Black by Kenneth Cole. The first thing which struck me about it was the similarities it had with another fragrance in my collection, Roots for Him. I checked and sure enough, both done by the same guy. Definitely not the same scent but a strong family resemblance. Black is more a pure effervescent fresh/clean scent where as Roots for Him has more of an evergreen forest take on the effervescent fresh/clean scent. The two are different enough that I could easily see both co-existing in the same wardrobe, especially if the effervescent fresh/clean scent is your style. Neither has great longevity and both smell a rather synthetic and simplistic fragrance.

29 August, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2008)

Uzkalnis's avatar
    Uzkalnis

In a way, it continues the fine job started by Aqua di Gio: killing of any imagination and creativity in perfumes. The most interesting thing? Possibly that mint in top note. It's gone before you know it. Insense smoke? Sounds interesting, but it's not there. Rather cheesy bottle with cheesy "artistique" script. As fake as any pretentious 'fusion' restaurant in London with 'contemporary' cuisine, designer interior and no soul.

05 October, 2005

JimInCO's avatar
    JimInCO

The only distinctive thing about this cologne is the Black bottle. It's not a bad thing but this scent has NO distinction whatsoever. I wear this when I want to blend in and smell like everyone else. Too many scents have these exact same notes perhaps in the same formulation. Will not have market longevity. Get with the program Kenneth Cole.

08 September, 2003