Positive Reviews of Black by Kenneth Cole

Find out more about Black by Kenneth Cole in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Aiden's avatar

England England

This is a very sweet smelling and fruity perfume. Definitely seems like a summer scent. I hate the summer but I still like it and find it rather sexy as it starts to wind down after a few hours. It's not the best and not as different as I expected but let's just say I was pleasantly surprised

08 April, 2014

JithB's avatar

Classy

A real classy one. Matches well with the foreverness of summer in the tropics. Love the dry down. Stays long in ur skin. Love this Juize.

21st May, 2013

fragrance123's avatar

I like this Black a lot although I have decent amount of designer brands. Very soothing to me, the dry down is very nice. Highly recommended by me.

28 April, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

I like the warm spices and citrus I agree with someone else who questioned the name. Black? really? It rises above the generic masses in department stores.

02 March, 2013

tropicalstorm's avatar

I can see that this perfume has aroused strong feelings of "yes" or "no" from it's users. Sweet and fruity. VERY sweet and fruity. But then, that's the beauty of it- ingredients that match and produce a distinct citrusy sweet, (even cloying at the beginning) smell that should have it's own following- especially for those who are looking forward to wearing something like that. OK, let's put it this way- KC Black resembles CK one but, like our good friend Perfume Collector rightly says (about CK one)- it's like mixing fruit juice and splashing it all over yourself; the only advantage being that it is not sticky like fruit juice !! KC Black is a more evolved blend of sweet flavours. And let's not even begin comparing it with 212 sexy men- that one is a disaster. This is the kind of flavour that I wanted to add to my collection- and here it is. I like it!! Thumbs up!!

06 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 December, 2012)

chrisaxp's avatar

The first time I smelled this in the mall, I was not impressed. It just felt very "meh". I got a deal on a bottle and wore it today for the firs time and have changed my mind. It started out kind of floral and minty, too much for my taste, but that didn't last too long it settled into the middle tones and base tones (mostly the incense smoke and the suede). It lasted for a long long time and I really enjoyed wearing this. I think I would reserve this for cold or cool weather, but overall I would recommend this as a good middle of the road scent.

12 October, 2012

bFlay's avatar

Fairly intense juice with a fairly intense opening of suede and musk which softens to a rich spicy floral interspersed with smoke and incense. Masculine and pervasive, most definitely an "apply sparingly" fragrance suitable for day or evening, work or play. Base of leather and incense is both simple and reassuring. Lasts over 6 hours on skin and clothes combined. This is a great signature scent. Sophisticated and mature.

29 September, 2012

Nebraskacologne's avatar

Clean fruity smell. Fairly long lasting, a good spring/summer scent.

16 April, 2012

djvix805's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Very nice, clean, woody smell. Longetivity and prejection is decent.

15 January, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I was a little confused when I tried Black for the first time. I didn't know that there was both a female and male version of the scent, I thought there was just one, and that Kenneth Cole Black was unisex.

Obviously now I understand, however I won't retract my original observation that this could be worn by both men and women.

There is something very unique and likable about this fragrance. It tends to be rather spicy and sweet, exotic in a sense.

The opening of ginger, mandarin orange, basil and mint is both refreshing yet delicate on the skin. Sensuality is projected through this fragrance quite strongly.

I find that the incense, nutmeg, ginger and cedar seem to be the driving force behind this fragrance. The combination of those notes create an intense and sexy aura. Incense in any fragrance usually turns out to be a hit with me because of its beautiful smokiness and mystery.

Unfortunately Kenneth Cole Black doesn't last for as long as I would have liked. I think it's very important to be able to enjoy this fragrance on the skin for as long as possible. However despite the poor lasting power, I do still recommend this fragrance to men and women alike.

30th June, 2011

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

My darling hubby wears this when he wants a change from his signature Issey Miyake and although I don't like it nearly as much as Issey, which is just perfect on him, Black smells great.
    Synthetic up close, yes but fresh, a teensy bit zingy, a little different from a lot of men's scents in that it doesn't club you over the head with its masculinity but has a very yummy (official term) drydown.
    Good for day or evening wear, esp in winter when its inital fresh notes mirror the chill in the air but the drydown warms it up.

14 March, 2011

SirScent's avatar

Whoa!
    A Very mixed up synthetic opening
    but
    a WONDERFUL drydown with great longevity.

Kenneth Cole Black is very masculine and woodsy frag but somewhere my mint got lost as I can't find it anywhere.
    Where's the Mint???

I agree with Sir Slarty that this is very, very similar to Polo Black.
    But I still find a bit of difference in this one that would constitute wearing this at either a casual or even a formal event.
    I like it.

24 January, 2011

Bigsly's avatar

Unlike some others, I dislike the top notes (too "synthetic" and/or confused) and find that it has great longevity, especially if you get a little on your shirt (I spray while I have a shirt on but not yet buttoned up). Also, this is not a fragrance you want to smell close up. It needs to "breathe" in order to avoid it smelling too synthetic. The drydown I get is mostly a dry incense with an herbal quality (similar to lavender, if it's not lavender), and some of the citrus continuing from the top notes. It's also a little musky. I spray once, just above the navel, to keep it from being irritating. Is it "exciting?" I guess not, but if this is what you're looking for, I'd call it a bargain at current prices, because there's nothing really "wrong" with it, so long as you take the right precautions if you are sensitive, as I am, with some of the notes or accords here.

08 July, 2010

aviationclayton's avatar

WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i wouldnt say not at all highly complex or unique, but there is something about black that makes it so spectacular, somewhat of a lemony scent lessens to leave a really rich kinda smokey sandlewood scent on my skin, i run and excercise with it and the drydown for some reason mixed with sweat is extremely good, i would definately not get rid of this,

31st January, 2010

micci's avatar

Kenya Kenya

A contemporary scent on this one. The notes are very well crafted which makes it fairly authentic. The dry down is is cosy (black suede? musk?)and slightly fresh (mint?)
    I highly recommend this.

27 January, 2010

D.Sprad's avatar

Clean, fruity, citrusy. My second-ever fragrance is a versatile one - good for many occasions. However, it's fairly generic, and it's okay... I'm going to give it a thumbs-up simply due to its versatility.

21st November, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 July, 2010)

perree's avatar

i'm not sure what other reviewers are talking about. Mint?? that's only a small note, hardly noticeable. What i care about in a cologne is the drydown and sillage, that's the only thing that last for hours, and that's exactly what others get when sniffing you, roughly 3/4 of the lasting duration when it first hit your skin. Screw the top notes, no one would ever catch that except you yourself.

The base exude a fresh and light musky smell topped with water lily aroma . I have a huge pond of white water lilies and as the new flowers bud in the morning, it smells just like KC black's drydown. It's lovely. in my mind it's in image of a fresh stream with constant flow, 120% water purity. a very greeeen image.

another important point. KC Black is quite synthetic alright, well, only top and mid range. After the first hour, you're good to go.

28 October, 2009

Jackisblack's avatar

Pretty nice frag. Had the pleasure of trying this today. Starts out with a nice fresh blast, though a little sharp. but everyone knows its all about the drydown. The drydown on me was pretty subtle and close to the skin, but it seems closest to root beer to me. I love root beer :D I don't think i'd buy more than a mini of it.

22 September, 2009

chamelion's avatar

great fresh woodsy MAN MAN scent i got it in my arsenal and nothin but good words for it

this is one of the MOST popular mens scents and was an instant classic!

28 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2010)

fusion's avatar

This is a very nice fragrance from the opening utill the very end, The longevity is great sillage is good. Give this a try you might just like it.

23 July, 2009

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

It’s “Black” but unique with freshness in its own way. Not for those who are fond of simple fragrances. There is mint and I am not quite fond of “minty” notes but here the “water mint” played well specially with fresh cut aroma of ginger and mandarin. Dry down is usual musky & amber but made distinct as mixed with incense smoke, light spices & floral (lotus flower & violet leaves).

Staying power is 4+ hours and has noticeable silage. KC “black” is an elegant fragrance with mature affect to boost your romantic spirit.

26 June, 2009

silentrich's avatar

Can't recommend this one enough. Blows the doors off of any fragrance by Armani and gets tons of compliments. I put this right along side Issay Miyake as one of my favorites. NOTE: If your going to buy KC Black get the Limited Edition in the silver bottle as it has better sillage and lasts longer.

27 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2011)

jarroditshallbe's avatar

A day in high school just sitting at a desk working. And not straying either, actually working on either biology or chemistry. Just working to make sure you do not have any homework and really just wanting to go outside.

17 April, 2009

classysmell's avatar

I absolutely love this fragrance. This has very good staying power. This is one of the few scents where I actually get compliments from women telling me I smell good. I particulary enjoy the combination of the mandarin and the inscence smoke. Plus the watermint in the top note really gives it a kick. This is perfect for cold winter nights.

28 January, 2009

charger's avatar

The citrus and ginger really grabbed me as soon as I sprayed it on. After an hour or so, it settles down into a warm, musky scent. I enjoy this one and it lasts quite a while too.

09 December, 2008

lyrictenororbust's avatar

This scent is unique in that it is fruity but never piercing in the way that Armani di Gio is. It is confidently unassuming and requires a debatable amount of reapplication. At the same time, it never fades into nothingness and a man who wants a woman to come close to smell his scent, will be justly rewarded.

Its smoothness and beauty is what attracts me to it. KC Black could never be classified as dark or spicy which its name lends it, but has a smooth, leathery smell after the cool down combined with tenderly sweet top notes (in other words, wont make you smell like a caramel sunday) . It is truly a youthfully masculine scent without having to resort to heavy spice/musk.

I honestly believe that reviews of this are overly harsh because of its non "discontinuedness" or "High designer" label such as versace or Armani.

This is my first review, and I admit that my inexperience does not allow me to recognize the many notes i'm sure this scent contains, I do have a deep understanding of aesthetics and am confident in my opinion. I am impressed by very few scents, but I keep coming back to this one.

Simple but not one dimensional, absolutely masculine, citrus.

05 September, 2008

vawallpa's avatar

This scent oozes class, even with new additions to my collection I find myself returning to this one. I find it clean and fresh, decent longevity and well made.

15 July, 2008

F_Frez's avatar

Tested in conjunction with a bunch of other fragrances, I remembered it from the whole as being more recognizable from the others I tested (Davidoff' Silver Shadow and Kenneth Cole's Signature).

At start, a citric note appears as top note, something like lemon... although the girl who tested it on me said it was mandarine. At middle notes a flower note appeared (lotus), but incense was more noticeable. Also some notes of ginger from the top notes could be felt here. Finally at base notes a dominant musk note, and an absence of woody notes. The citric note still persists at this point.

Citric note wasn't fresh but more a signature note, more in the style of Boucheron. I don't see this fragrance as a daytime or summer time one, instead it's more suitable for evening events, or at office, when one needs something special to be noticeable. Both cold and warm seasons. Range of age between 25 and 40 years old.

19 March, 2007

jasong9573's avatar

I have been using this for a few months and it gets better when the weather gets warm. Like I said before, it's clean and fresh, but really doesn't smell like what you might think if you read what notes are in it. The name and bottle implies that it might smell alot different, but it doesn't. At least that is what I thought. It might just be my nose, but I think it has "Chrome" type smell to it in the drydown. Very good stuff!

06 December, 2005 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2006)

FragranceFan255's avatar

When I read the notes in Black I was instinctively interested. And was all the more attracted when I also read that it was often grouped with Cool Water (one of my favorite fragrances) as being similar. In my own experience, however, I don't quite get it. This is a very floral smelling fragrance to me that approaches outright amibiguity. Several token masculine notes are in there, but are overshadowed by the floral qualities. The florals ease off somewhat upon drydown, but they never leave. And you know what? I like it. I like it a lot and after getting to smell it at a Macy's department store I made it a note to purchase some soon. I haven't regretted that decision. It is an intriguing scent to say the least, but the staying power isn't all that great, but sufficient. If you're looking for something that evokes calloused hands and sweat, this really isn't it. A classy and inoffensive cologne.

09 August, 2005