Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ClassicFan's avatar

One of the better vetiver fragrances but sadly I'm tired of vetiver. It's very balanced and a good choice for vetiver lovers who don't want something too strong like Encre Noire.

23rd November, 2014

Patrick63's avatar

I recently purchased two bottles of guerlain vetiver and vetiver extreme, sadly nobody even notices I am wearing it and it has no longevity what so ever , its a shame really as its a lovely fragrance but vanishes in a blink .

17th September, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

June 2008:
    Guerlain’s classic Vetiver introduces itself with a very wet, round citrus accord. It takes some time before the citrus is underpinned by a relatively mellow vetiver note. Later in the course of its development it also reveals a touch of smoke and some crisp green notes that extend the life of the opening citrus accord.

The fragrance cruises along in vetiver-citrus mode for a long time, and I find its uncomplicated structure brisk and refreshing. Guierlain Vetiver is a classical fragrance in the true sense of the word. Like an ionic temple or a Mozart concerto, it exhibits perfect balance, with no extraneous elements to distract from its essential form. If you’re looking for the aggressively earthy, stark, potent vetiver of Route du Vétiver, Vétiver Extraordinaire, or Etro’s Vetiver, you won’t find it here. But if you want a comfortable, civilized approach to the vetiver root, this is it.

August 2009:
    I have an odd relationship with Guerlain's Vetiver. I keep thinking that I ought to like it much, much more than I do. With tobacco, nutmeg, coriander and neroli gracing its star note, this stuff should be catnip for me. An yet - it never strikes as much more than "OK."

Why is that? Could it be that I've become accustomed to bolder, more aggressive vetivers, like Encre Noire or Route du Vétiver? No, that can't be it, since I find the more polite and civilized Sycomore and Givenchy Vetyver far more compelling than the Guerlain. Whatever keeps me from loving Guerlain Vetiver dearly lies with the scent itself. As I wear it and study it, I notice a few things:

First, it's very linear on me once the vetiver and cedar emerge.

Second, it's very, very shy on my skin. After fifteen minutes of wear I always have to search for it with my nose to make sure it's still there.

Third, and most disappointing, is that the vetiver and cedar heart smells oddly hollow and emaciated to me, as if the flesh on the accord has been whittled away by some erosive force, and only the skeleton remains.

I still want to like it, but I can't actually find all that much in it to like.

07th July, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

My review is based on a vintage '80s bottle of the first EDC formulation of this, although ages ago I bought a couple of vintage EDT minis too and I still sniff them from times to times (and in fact I notice quite a little difference between these two). I do not know the actual formulation of this and to be honest, I am not much interested in it, as I guess how it could smell – not saying it's worse as I don't know it. However, the EDC is simply stunning: unmistakable opening, elegant, fresh, zesty, full of earthy-rooty richness and tasty woods. A milestone for perfumery in general, for masculine "class", for vetiver scents. A totally refined, noble, elegant, cozy freshness rich in citrus, lavender, aldehydes, with an irresistible heart of great, aromatic tobacco, vetiver and cedar. As minutes pass it progressively gets more dry and a darker woody-leather base emerges. Light spices like cumin and nutmeg "fill" the higher notes of vetiver. Refined, versatile, mellow, simple but unique, cozy, pure self-confidence in a bottle. Longevity is discreet but long-lasting. Timeless!

19th June, 2014

divus5's avatar

(I own a bottle, bought this year at Bloomingdales in nyc)

Try before you buy on this one because I think people will either love this or kinda hate it. I think this fragrance is incredible, so unique and just magical as it evolves during the dry-down, from start to finish it makes me happy. Understated AND great, not easy to do. I can see why some wont like it though, without the florals and heavy citrus many will not find it charming.

23rd May, 2014 (Last Edited: 29th May, 2014)

tempest moon's avatar

Review for the pre-2000 formulation

Jean-Paul Guerlain's Vetiver was one of the the first fragrances composed primarily around Vetiver, and it has become a classic ever since.

For me, when I first opened this and sprayed it I was shocked. It smelled like an old man! Not just that, but an old people's retirement home! I was horrified, and for a long time I couldn't get this image out of my head!

But I gave it time (like all Guerlain's), and guess what? I love it now! I wouldn't be without it. I now think that if I only had to choose two fragrances to wear for the rest of my life, it would be this and Habit Rouge.

So, what's not to like here? You have fresh, bright Lemon and dry, spicy pepper in the opening, joined by Nutmeg, a hint of Tobacco, and raw, earthy dry Vetiver throughout. Jean-Paul Guerlain made this when he was only 20 years old (an amazing feat for a perfumer), and he based it on the smell of a gardener, working in the crisp, early morning. Whilst wearing this you really do feel active, dynamic and alive. If you close your eyes you can imagine what the air smells like at dawn in a dew-covered field in the early morning mist, the crisp, cold air mixing with the smell of earth and grass.

It's very green, very fresh, very alive. This one really lifts you up and it sets you up for the day brilliantly. Like standing in a field and taking in the cold morning air. It also reminds me of green jungles, and it's no surprise because this product was originally sold to Mexico, where they imported the Vetiver essence exclusively from Guerlain, and there was a huge demand for the smell of Vetiver in Latin America. For that reason, I also think it works (exceptionally) well in hot weather, cutting through the heat beautifully... the fresh lemon lifting up the green, earthy Vetiver and making it a very clean, almost soapy smell.

Look, I know not everyone will like this one at first, but if you like green, earthy and fresh... you'll really love this one. Just try it on a spring or summer morning just before stepping out of the house into the air. You'll see what I mean, what kind of effect it has. I love this one, love it, and love Guerlain for making this. No Vanilla, no Amber or heavy Florals. Just pure green, refreshing energy! Great stuff.

20th May, 2014

blackheart2925's avatar

India India

Absolutely Fantastic!

Very, very addictive fresh, spicy vertiver done just right...a brilliant balanced gem which has made me a hopeless addict! Love it from its opening to the final drydown!

cooling, calm and balanced...superbly green, brilliantly crafted and bright...wonderful scent...whether a beginner to vetiver or experienced, this makes an worthwhile addition to the collection.

discovered this only now but i will never be without a bottle of this again :)

lasts a decent 8 hrs plus and can be greatly extended by ensuring some spray falls on the clothes also while spraying the skin.

wish they came in those huge 500 ml jug types like the ones from caron

14th May, 2014

Sybaris's avatar

Got a sample of this based on reviews.

An earlier review hit it on the head, "smells like a retirement home"

Yes, I get whatever squeeze bottle anti-bacterial soap hospitals use mixed in with pee. Too

bad, I wanted to like it but perhaps it has lost its allure.

22nd February, 2014

The_Cologneist's avatar

A great soapy, green, clean, vetiver. Ladies and gentleman, if ya wanna know what vetiver smells like, look no further. Guerlain Vetiver is about as "vetiver" as you're gonna get, while still staying fresh and clean. This stuff is an instant classic. Sophisticated, and still very contemporary. A little citrus on top, a little tobacco in the base, but the central note here is vetiver. Longevity is fantastic, as is projection. Make sure you're confident though with this one, it's more for the older gentleman, but I think anybody can pull it off. I am almost 30, and it works very well on me.

13th February, 2014

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

This scent is not to be judged purely on its scent. What do I mean? Well, you'll need to understand a bit about modern fragrance history to appreciate this one - it was grounbreaking for its time and brought a whole new dimension to scents.
    Guerlain wanted to capture the scent of the earth after the summer rain and was inspired by nature when he set out to create his first ever scent - Vetiver.
    A grass or root that grows under the ground, the scent of vetiver is spicy and of course earthy. This fragrance is all of that but cleverly wrapped up in citrus and highlighted with notes of tobacco. But this isn't a smoky scent and hence can be appreciated in the warmer months or in wet weather. It fits the inspiration behind it perfectly and is venerated by many as a true classic.

09th January, 2014

gmstrack's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain is one of my personal favorites from the historic perfume house. Maybe this is because I’m enamored with the vetiver note and all of its green, smoky depth. This classic combines vetiver with tobacco and a huge dose of nutmeg which results in a “barber shop” feel. “Vetiver” is a must try for vetiver lovers and fans of classics.

Highly recommended, especially for women. 4.5/5

24th December, 2013 (Last Edited: 09th March, 2014)

ClarkScent's avatar

Happy Easter

I will wear this every Easter...but not a day between them. It just really smells like Easter to me for some reason..also smells like as if someone poured a bucket of dish detergent on the front lawn.

Pros: I have it in my collection
    Cons: I bought the big bottle"

09th October, 2013

Unvisible's avatar

give it time

When I first sampled Guerlain's Vetiver, I didn't understand all the praise. It smelled simply of.... a tangy lemon. That's it. I was very confused, and didn't really like the smell. However, I kept trying it at different times, on different days, on skin and clothes, different moods. After a while I was able to pick apart different scents within the fragrance (a peppery feel, green notes, citrus, and tobacco.... even black licorice). I began to really enjoy it. It was hard putting this smell into perspective; forming a visual interpretation of it. After testing it for over a year (and now owning a bottle), I can say that to me, this smells like wet grass and earth. That's right... the smell of dripping wet green grass, saturated soil and roots after a hard but brief summer rainfall, and then the sun comes out and begins to slowly heat everything up. Very earthy and green. I think this could be worn by females. I think it can smell soapy at times too. It usually puts me in a good mood to wear this. It has the same affect on me as sunshine. And no... to me this smells nothing like an old man. In fact it doesn't smell dated at all. It could work year round, for lounging on the couch, to a business meeting, working in a factory, school.... anything. A wonderful smell.

Pros: versatile,not dated, invigorating
    Cons: none"</p>

02nd October, 2013 (Last Edited: 09th July, 2014)

GRSsrg's avatar

Excellent, an essential!

If you like vetiver you will definitely like this fragrance. Bright, opulent, green and earthy. Some say this is an old man smell? Maybe some old men have great taste? I'll call it a timeless classic, a definite must for any collection.

But what does vetiver smell like? It is fresh and clean yet grounded like roots in wet earth. Soothing yet invigorating. Sometimes it reminds me of raw carrots and sometimes pinot noir comes to mind.

Just get it already and if you, like Geurlain suggest, soak some garment in Vetiver and pack it when travelling. I will steal your suitcase and sniff it.

Pros: Fresh, clean,earthy, classic
    Cons: None"

17th August, 2013

prosperonline's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Classic and masculine

Oh My God, what a lovely fragrance. Indeed, I have that feeling of meeting again an old acquaintance, so familiar and yet this is the first time I have GV in my hands. I know, the olde men/granddaddy smell some of us like to report immediately. Nevertheless, guerlain Vetiver is just gorgeous, clean and above all, masculine. Maybe it is that what some think of being oldie, Masculinaty. The tabacco note is not that strog and most of them are so well blended that you think all is part of the vetiver itself. Now having them both I can say that the Extreme is in fact stronger and bolder than the original, more mature and less casual although I wouldn't wear Vetiver Extreme in the evening, they seem to ask for daylight to shine throughout the day. I am extremely happy with my purchese, specailly after the letdown that was Aqua Fahrenheit. It is worth the price and I am considering layering GV with Eau Sauvage Parfum for a more impact impression when the occasion asks for.

Pros: Perfect for all occasions
    Cons: None"

30th July, 2013

Hojji77's avatar

Ow

I wanted to love it, and in the shop I thought I did. Real-life experience proved otherwise, though, as I found this stuff to be dominated by an acrid turpentine note that (literally) gave me a headache. Everything about the scent says power and quality, but I cannot reconcile myself to it--perhaps I am idiosyncratically sensitive. Anyway, a disappointment.

Pros: Strong
    Cons: Strong"

24th July, 2013

Helveticum's avatar

Good for devoted vetiver lovers

Smells of a fresh grave, very Gothic. Consistent within its design, it seems.

11th July, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar

A fantastic vetiver for any collector's arsenal

This fragrance is a great buy for any fan of vetiver. The price is ridiculously cheap compared to most vetivers and I think it can compete with the quality of them as well. I wore this fragrance a lot during the spring time because it seems like the perfect fit for that season. I also continue to wear it in the summer though.

The negative aspect of Vetiver is its ability to attract attention. I just can't see myself wearing this in a club or any other social setting where I would like to get attention. I don't think that's an important criteria for a fragrance but it is something that most fragrances have the ability to do that Vetiver just doesn't. Its versatility isn't that great either in regards to seasons but with such a smaller amount of great spring/summer fragrances compared to winter, I'm glad I can grab Vetiver as my go-to fragrance for the spring season. The last nitpick I have is the sprayer is not good in my opinion. I own the 3.4 ounce (100 ml) and it just doesn't give me consistent sprays.

8.7/10

Pros: 1. Amazing value for the price 2. Can compete for best quality against most vetivers 3. I could wear this everyday for the Spring
    Cons: 1. Not a lady killer 2. Not very versatile 3. Sprayer is inconsistent

04th July, 2013

vinramani09's avatar

Its ok

The 125 ml formulation is slightly better, it has decent longevity. There is a note, in this fragrance, I cannot pinpoint but conjures up an activities hall at senior's retirement home. Also a part of this fragrance smells like noxema skin creme. Encre Noir and Sycomore are better options.

23rd June, 2013

Gary F's avatar

Olfactory Abuse

Yuck! Guerlain is usually so refined and delicious, but not Vetiver. I can detect no other notes because the vetiver is so overpowering. I have idea about longevity because I had to wash it off since the top notes were so offensive. I really tried, but oh my this is bad. This must be why so many people dislike vetiver as a note.

Pros: None
    Cons: Vetiver Overload

20th June, 2013

RHINORAY's avatar

The Mother Ship of Vetiver's

For the money, tuff to beat. I like Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver the best(a little cleaner and a little more youthful but still a mature fragrance, but it's more than twice the price)

Pros: Clean and Mature
    Cons: None

05th June, 2013

Quartz's avatar

This is # 17 ??

This is ranked # 17 ? This ?? Really ??? With all the complaining I read about various "old man smell" fragrances, I'm surprised to see this one so highly rated because this one, to me, is the definition of old man smell. Nothing but vetiver going on here after the initial blast of what I smell as an antiseptic of some sort that would be suitable for cuts/scrapes. Smells pretty close to Encre Noire.

Once again, however, I know that fragrance preferences are so subjective and I'm in the minority on this one.

31st May, 2013

Mrpleasent's avatar

Dated

The lemony opening reminds me of old people. - it's not unpleasant and smells fresh and clean but I just can't past the smell of the beige bowls club brigade. After a while the vetiver comes through and its cooling rootsy grass vibe is very refreshing when worn with a crisp white shirt in heat but its dated. I prefer grey vetiver, it's more modern in the opening and suits me better although the dry down in this vetiver is better.

18th May, 2013

southerngardens's avatar

After the disappointing experience with the Vol De Nuit EDC, I did not have high expectations for the Vintage Vetiver EDC.
    Even though Guerlain was not the first to introduce a Vetiver Fragrance(1961), Guerlain should be the touch stone for all Vetiver fragrances.
    Though vintage Vetiver EDC is mainly a linear fragrance, it does contain notes of lemon,tobacco, vetiver, nutmeg and pepper. Vetiver EDC opens with a strong blast of aldehydes or smelled more of hairspray and a light scent of lemon.
    After about 10 minutes in, I start to get the vetiver coming forward with the lemon and a faint smell of tobacco. 30 minutes since applying the vetiver is coming on strong with the faint smell of lemon. I never get a smell of nutmeg or pepper. Now is when the sillage is at it's highest, though Vintage Vetiver EDC is not a sillage monster. One hour in, the frag has become a skin scent, but the vetiver is still hanging in there. After about 2.5 hours, the EDC's longevity has given up and is gone.
    The vintage Vetiver EDC has been a lot more of a pleasure to wear. Perhaps a little because I like the scent of vetiver, but unlike the Vol De Nuit EDC, the wearing pleasure lasted a lot longer. If you have normal skin and can wear EDC's, this would be a perfect spring and summer fragrance. Actually the coolness would seem to ruin the effect of vetiver. This could pass as a unisex frag due to it's airiness and if a lady likes vetiver obviously.

18th March, 2013

Preston H's avatar

Old man cologne straight up no if ands or buts about it. This is grey vetivers granddad for sure. I could not believe how rugged this fragrance is from start to finish. The shame of this is it doesn't last very long at least on me. Starts out with citrus n tobacco, not soft gentle tobacco either, this is harsh kid not for the weak at heart gf's won't be stealing this one ill tell you that. I was a little disappointed that the tonka didn't smooth it out more but not enough to waiver on my endorsement. Masculine classic vetiver at its finest

18th March, 2013

pdschrader's avatar

It may be old school, but this is the one I find spraying on my wrist and sniffing all day!

19th January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

A great work of perfumery that transcends time. As valid today as it was at the time of its release. Not only vetiver fragrance gives a feeling of walking in a forest, a hint of flowers, snuff and more ... must dress to experience it.

15th January, 2013

musicman1951's avatar

An unfortunate combination of an unpleasant scent with good longevity. At least for the first three hours - I have not been able to wait any longer to wash it off.

04th January, 2013

Fragrance_Pascal's avatar

To my mind, Guerlains Vetiver EdT is just like a timeless masculine should be: A restraint but at the same time remarkable and distinctive visit card that is neither uninspired nor dandified.
    It is its simplicity and balanced nature that makes this perfume fit every season and every occasion: Fresh, grassy, rooty like a walk through the forest - tobacco, mutmeg and tonka as a comfortable base. An outstandingly wearable all-rounder and still the reference vetiver.

Recently tried the body shampoo and deo stick - both are generously perfumed and smell terrific. Great Work Guerlain!

09th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 15th January, 2013)

Nosebud's avatar

Guerlain Vetiver is like that movie you loved as a kid. You have fond memories and can wax poetic about it; when you try it again after all those years, you realize it isn't up to par i today's world. At least that is my explanation for why so many BNers have rated this positively. I did NOT experience this frag in the sixties, and so do not have any biased nostalgia to it.
    I bought this as a blind buy due to so many rave reviews, and because I like vetiver (or thought I did.)
    Guerlain Vetiver is meant for someone who was thirty in 1961. Yes, that would mean it is outdated for anybody under 81! It screams "old man" to me, and I generally like "mature" fragrances. My wife cannot stand this on me, and I don't think it is great on me. I have tried and tried to like this. At first I thought a cool day playing sports outside would make this shine, but there are too many other frags that pull it off better.
    This Vetiver is trying to be fresh with both citrus AND powdery notes, and it just comes off synthetic and stuffy.
    My final test before writing this review was to do a wrist-to-wrist with Vetiver EO. I am glad I did, because I have reaffirmed my opinion that I DO in fact love vetiver; I just love the deep, dark, earthy and woodsy scent that vetiver should be, not this bug juice.

30th October, 2012