Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Captain's avatar
    Captain

I think I'm the only one who prefers the old "dated" bottle. It was lovely!

I'm a woman who wears this, my husband prefers ouds and sandalwood for himself so this is all mine. We've had some above zero days here in the last little while and it's not smoking hot but after the deep freeze of winter, it's down right balmy! Guerlain Vetiver shines in this humid weather.

This is soapy fresh, crisp but powdery and unique. I like that it's not too strong but strong enough. The tobacco isn't that obvious nor dirty, the citrus tempers the earthy vetiver in perfectly balanced amounts.

01st April, 2014

Sybaris's avatar
    Sybaris

Got a sample of this based on reviews.

An earlier review hit it on the head, "smells like a retirement home"

Yes, I get whatever squeeze bottle anti-bacterial soap hospitals use mixed in with pee. Too

bad, I wanted to like it but perhaps it has lost its allure.

22 February, 2014

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

A great soapy, green, clean, vetiver. Ladies and gentleman, if ya wanna know what vetiver smells like, look no further. Guerlain Vetiver is about as "vetiver" as you're gonna get, while still staying fresh and clean. This stuff is an instant classic. Sophisticated, and still very contemporary. A little citrus on top, a little tobacco in the base, but the central note here is vetiver. Longevity is fantastic, as is projection. Make sure you're confident though with this one, it's more for the older gentleman, but I think anybody can pull it off. I am almost 30, and it works very well on me.

13 February, 2014

rum's avatar
    rum
    Greece Greece

This scent is not to be judged purely on its scent. What do I mean? Well, you'll need to understand a bit about modern fragrance history to appreciate this one - it was grounbreaking for its time and brought a whole new dimension to scents.
    Guerlain wanted to capture the scent of the earth after the summer rain and was inspired by nature when he set out to create his first ever scent - Vetiver.
    A grass or root that grows under the ground, the scent of vetiver is spicy and of course earthy. This fragrance is all of that but cleverly wrapped up in citrus and highlighted with notes of tobacco. But this isn't a smoky scent and hence can be appreciated in the warmer months or in wet weather. It fits the inspiration behind it perfectly and is venerated by many as a true classic.

09 January, 2014

gmstrack's avatar
    gmstrack

Vetiver by Guerlain is one of my personal favorites from the historic perfume house. Maybe this is because I’m enamored with the vetiver note and all of its green, smoky depth. This classic combines vetiver with tobacco and a huge dose of nutmeg which results in a “barber shop” feel. “Vetiver” is a must try for vetiver lovers and fans of classics.

Highly recommended, especially for women. 4.5/5

24 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2014)

ClarkScent's avatar
    ClarkScent

Happy Easter

I will wear this every Easter...but not a day between them. It just really smells like Easter to me for some reason..also smells like as if someone poured a bucket of dish detergent on the front lawn.

Pros: I have it in my collection
    Cons: I bought the big bottle"

09 October, 2013

Unvisible's avatar
    Unvisible

give it time

When I first sampled Guerlain's Vetiver, I didn't understand all the praise. It smelled simply of.... a tangy lemon. That's it. I was very confused, and didn't really like the smell. However, I kept trying it at different times, on different days, on skin and clothes, different moods. After a while I was able to pick apart different scents within the fragrance (a peppery feel, green notes, citrus, and tobacco.... even black licorice). I began to really enjoy it. It was hard putting this smell into perspective; forming a visual interpretation of it. After testing it for over a year (and now owning a bottle), I can say that to me, this smells like wet grass and earth. That's right... the smell of dripping wet green grass, saturated soil and roots after a hard but brief summer rainfall, and then the sun comes out and begins to slowly heat everything up. Very earthy and green. I think this could be worn by females. I think it can smell soapy at times too. It usually puts me in a good mood to wear this. It has the same affect on me as sunshine. And no... to me this smells nothing like an old man. In fact it doesn't smell dated at all. It could work year round, for lounging on the couch, to a business meeting, working in a factory, school.... anything. A wonderful smell.

Pros: versatile,not dated, invigorating
    Cons: none"

02 October, 2013

GRSsrg's avatar
    GRSsrg

Excellent, an essential!

If you like vetiver you will definitely like this fragrance. Bright, opulent, green and earthy. Some say this is an old man smell? Maybe some old men have great taste? I'll call it a timeless classic, a definite must for any collection.

But what does vetiver smell like? It is fresh and clean yet grounded like roots in wet earth. Soothing yet invigorating. Sometimes it reminds me of raw carrots and sometimes pinot noir comes to mind.

Just get it already and if you, like Geurlain suggest, soak some garment in Vetiver and pack it when travelling. I will steal your suitcase and sniff it.

Pros: Fresh, clean,earthy, classic
    Cons: None"

17 August, 2013

prosperonline's avatar
    prosperonline
    Brazil Brazil

Classic and masculine

Oh My God, what a lovely fragrance. Indeed, I have that feeling of meeting again an old acquaintance, so familiar and yet this is the first time I have GV in my hands. I know, the olde men/granddaddy smell some of us like to report immediately. Nevertheless, guerlain Vetiver is just gorgeous, clean and above all, masculine. Maybe it is that what some think of being oldie, Masculinaty. The tabacco note is not that strog and most of them are so well blended that you think all is part of the vetiver itself. Now having them both I can say that the Extreme is in fact stronger and bolder than the original, more mature and less casual although I wouldn't wear Vetiver Extreme in the evening, they seem to ask for daylight to shine throughout the day. I am extremely happy with my purchese, specailly after the letdown that was Aqua Fahrenheit. It is worth the price and I am considering layering GV with Eau Sauvage Parfum for a more impact impression when the occasion asks for.

Pros: Perfect for all occasions
    Cons: None"

30th July, 2013

Hojji77's avatar
    Hojji77

Ow

I wanted to love it, and in the shop I thought I did. Real-life experience proved otherwise, though, as I found this stuff to be dominated by an acrid turpentine note that (literally) gave me a headache. Everything about the scent says power and quality, but I cannot reconcile myself to it--perhaps I am idiosyncratically sensitive. Anyway, a disappointment.

Pros: Strong
    Cons: Strong"

24 July, 2013

Helveticum's avatar
    Helveticum

Good for devoted vetiver lovers

Smells of a fresh grave, very Gothic. Consistent within its design, it seems.

11th July, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar
    mlsweeney

A fantastic vetiver for any collector's arsenal

This fragrance is a great buy for any fan of vetiver. The price is ridiculously cheap compared to most vetivers and I think it can compete with the quality of them as well. I wore this fragrance a lot during the spring time because it seems like the perfect fit for that season. I also continue to wear it in the summer though.

The negative aspect of Vetiver is its ability to attract attention. I just can't see myself wearing this in a club or any other social setting where I would like to get attention. I don't think that's an important criteria for a fragrance but it is something that most fragrances have the ability to do that Vetiver just doesn't. Its versatility isn't that great either in regards to seasons but with such a smaller amount of great spring/summer fragrances compared to winter, I'm glad I can grab Vetiver as my go-to fragrance for the spring season. The last nitpick I have is the sprayer is not good in my opinion. I own the 3.4 ounce (100 ml) and it just doesn't give me consistent sprays.

8.7/10

Pros: 1. Amazing value for the price 2. Can compete for best quality against most vetivers 3. I could wear this everyday for the Spring
    Cons: 1. Not a lady killer 2. Not very versatile 3. Sprayer is inconsistent

04 July, 2013

vinramani09's avatar
    vinramani09

Its ok

The 125 ml formulation is slightly better, it has decent longevity. There is a note, in this fragrance, I cannot pinpoint but conjures up an activities hall at senior's retirement home. Also a part of this fragrance smells like noxema skin creme. Encre Noir and Sycomore are better options.

23 June, 2013

Gary F's avatar
    Gary F

Olfactory Abuse

Yuck! Guerlain is usually so refined and delicious, but not Vetiver. I can detect no other notes because the vetiver is so overpowering. I have idea about longevity because I had to wash it off since the top notes were so offensive. I really tried, but oh my this is bad. This must be why so many people dislike vetiver as a note.

Pros: None
    Cons: Vetiver Overload

20th June, 2013

RHINORAY's avatar
    RHINORAY

The Mother Ship of Vetiver's

For the money, tuff to beat. I like Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver the best(a little cleaner and a little more youthful but still a mature fragrance, but it's more than twice the price)

Pros: Clean and Mature
    Cons: None

05 June, 2013

Quartz's avatar
    Quartz

This is # 17 ??

This is ranked # 17 ? This ?? Really ??? With all the complaining I read about various "old man smell" fragrances, I'm surprised to see this one so highly rated because this one, to me, is the definition of old man smell. Nothing but vetiver going on here after the initial blast of what I smell as an antiseptic of some sort that would be suitable for cuts/scrapes. Smells pretty close to Encre Noire.

Once again, however, I know that fragrance preferences are so subjective and I'm in the minority on this one.

31st May, 2013

Mrpleasent's avatar
    Mrpleasent

Dated

The lemony opening reminds me of old people. - it's not unpleasant and smells fresh and clean but I just can't past the smell of the beige bowls club brigade. After a while the vetiver comes through and its cooling rootsy grass vibe is very refreshing when worn with a crisp white shirt in heat but its dated. I prefer grey vetiver, it's more modern in the opening and suits me better although the dry down in this vetiver is better.

18 May, 2013

southerngardens's avatar
    southerngardens

After the disappointing experience with the Vol De Nuit EDC, I did not have high expectations for the Vintage Vetiver EDC.
    Even though Guerlain was not the first to introduce a Vetiver Fragrance(1961), Guerlain should be the touch stone for all Vetiver fragrances.
    Though vintage Vetiver EDC is mainly a linear fragrance, it does contain notes of lemon,tobacco, vetiver, nutmeg and pepper. Vetiver EDC opens with a strong blast of aldehydes or smelled more of hairspray and a light scent of lemon.
    After about 10 minutes in, I start to get the vetiver coming forward with the lemon and a faint smell of tobacco. 30 minutes since applying the vetiver is coming on strong with the faint smell of lemon. I never get a smell of nutmeg or pepper. Now is when the sillage is at it's highest, though Vintage Vetiver EDC is not a sillage monster. One hour in, the frag has become a skin scent, but the vetiver is still hanging in there. After about 2.5 hours, the EDC's longevity has given up and is gone.
    The vintage Vetiver EDC has been a lot more of a pleasure to wear. Perhaps a little because I like the scent of vetiver, but unlike the Vol De Nuit EDC, the wearing pleasure lasted a lot longer. If you have normal skin and can wear EDC's, this would be a perfect spring and summer fragrance. Actually the coolness would seem to ruin the effect of vetiver. This could pass as a unisex frag due to it's airiness and if a lady likes vetiver obviously.

18 March, 2013

Preston H's avatar
    Preston H

Old man cologne straight up no if ands or buts about it. This is grey vetivers granddad for sure. I could not believe how rugged this fragrance is from start to finish. The shame of this is it doesn't last very long at least on me. Starts out with citrus n tobacco, not soft gentle tobacco either, this is harsh kid not for the weak at heart gf's won't be stealing this one ill tell you that. I was a little disappointed that the tonka didn't smooth it out more but not enough to waiver on my endorsement. Masculine classic vetiver at its finest

18 March, 2013

pdschrader's avatar
    pdschrader

It may be old school, but this is the one I find spraying on my wrist and sniffing all day!

19 January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar
    Mandrake
    Venezuela Venezuela

A great work of perfumery that transcends time. As valid today as it was at the time of its release. Not only vetiver fragrance gives a feeling of walking in a forest, a hint of flowers, snuff and more ... must dress to experience it.

15 January, 2013

musicman1951's avatar
    musicman1951

An unfortunate combination of an unpleasant scent with good longevity. At least for the first three hours - I have not been able to wait any longer to wash it off.

04 January, 2013

Fragrance_Pascal's avatar
    Fragrance_Pascal

To my mind, Guerlains Vetiver EdT is just like a timeless masculine should be: A restraint but at the same time remarkable and distinctive visit card that is neither uninspired nor dandified.
    It is its simplicity and balanced nature that makes this perfume fit every season and every occasion: Fresh, grassy, rooty like a walk through the forest - tobacco, mutmeg and tonka as a comfortable base. An outstandingly wearable all-rounder and still the reference vetiver.

Recently tried the body shampoo and deo stick - both are generously perfumed and smell terrific. Great Work Guerlain!

09 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2013)

Nosebud's avatar
    Nosebud

Guerlain Vetiver is like that movie you loved as a kid. You have fond memories and can wax poetic about it; when you try it again after all those years, you realize it isn't up to par i today's world. At least that is my explanation for why so many BNers have rated this positively. I did NOT experience this frag in the sixties, and so do not have any biased nostalgia to it.
    I bought this as a blind buy due to so many rave reviews, and because I like vetiver (or thought I did.)
    Guerlain Vetiver is meant for someone who was thirty in 1961. Yes, that would mean it is outdated for anybody under 81! It screams "old man" to me, and I generally like "mature" fragrances. My wife cannot stand this on me, and I don't think it is great on me. I have tried and tried to like this. At first I thought a cool day playing sports outside would make this shine, but there are too many other frags that pull it off better.
    This Vetiver is trying to be fresh with both citrus AND powdery notes, and it just comes off synthetic and stuffy.
    My final test before writing this review was to do a wrist-to-wrist with Vetiver EO. I am glad I did, because I have reaffirmed my opinion that I DO in fact love vetiver; I just love the deep, dark, earthy and woodsy scent that vetiver should be, not this bug juice.

30th October, 2012

longstreth's avatar
    longstreth

I too have been told that I'm playing above my age bracket, so to speak, by wearing Guerlain's Vetiver. Not a problem in my books—if old people wear this, then old people smell great! This vetiver is fantastic, maybe even Professor Emeritus of vetivers. Tall praise but quite justified, and the sheer number of positive reviews here on Basenotes speak for themselves. My one complaint is longevity: on my skin it doesn't last quite as long as I'd like it to, but it's still worth those glorious five hours.

09 October, 2012

ad_scott's avatar
    ad_scott

Citrus, soapy, powdery, tobacco, woody, greenery. I adore Vetiver! Some have said it's an 'old man' fragrance but I disagree with that. I'd say Vetiver is masculine, fresh and sophisticated with an aristocratic or regal vibe; suitable for men aged 30 and over. I can see this fragrance being best suited for outdoor sports like hunting, polo, horse riding and for social activities such as family gatherings, a walk in the park, a drink in the beer garden. I'm not sure if it's for the office or a nightclub... it's more of a daytime outdoor fragrance. When I first sampled Vetiver I pictured myself in the countryside, dressed in tweed and knee high in tall grass, holding a shotgun in one hand and a pheasant in the other.

09 September, 2012

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

A bergamot-citrus-green opening, that very briefly reminds me of Neroli Sauvage, to then be embedded in cedar, again cedar and coriander. The vetiver becomes more prominent with time, and a spicy pepper- nutmeg base lays the foundation for the residual fragrance, tempered by whiffs of vetiver and always immersed in the delicious cedar. This base nots is less fresh, and more wood and spice. Wearable in all seasons, I understand why it is such a classic. It lacks the light bright freshness of Creed's Vetiver 1948 and is heavier and woodier. As mentioned above, as if Mugler had added a bit of its own style. I tried the vintage version years ago, and although I distrust houses who are taken over by large corporations not to dilute the quality of their original products, there appears not too much of a significant difference as far as I can recall apart from some loss of intensity and more citrus in the newer version IMHO. Projection and silage are adequate, with a pleasant soapiness added toward the end. Longevity overall is about four to five hours.

16 August, 2012

Noblesse Oblige's avatar
    Noblesse Oblige

My initial review is below the line. Since I wrote it, I tried the juice in the "new" traditional bottle, still green but much more like the original 1961 version. It has much less citrus and more of that woodsy/tobacco note that made the original so wonderful. I am sure that Guerlain will deny changing anything, as they did when they switched away from the original mix. The problem of course is that one cannot be sure what one is getting when one plunks down the fare for one of these bottles. But I can now give the version in the rediscovered bottle a thumbs up.
    _________________________________________________________________

I really should give a split vote. An enthusiastic thumbs up for the original, now extinct, Guerlain masterpiece, recognizable by its yellow color. A resounding thumbs down for its green replacement.

Whereas the original was always a love affair to wear and for others to sense and compliment on, the new formulation is simply bitter lemon, over citrused in the extreme and completely uninteresting. I had worn the original exclusively since I first discovered it and still have a few bottles which I will horde for as long as I can.

I see that the bottle has been changed again but the juice remains green. Packaging won't save this loser.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 September, 2012)

farang's avatar
    farang
    Thailand Thailand

I tried Guerlain Vetiver on one wrist and Creed Original Vetiver on the other wrist simultanously. While the Creed fragrance projected fresh, green vetiver it was rather unilinear. The Guerlain Vetiver on the other hand started out as fresh and green, but moved on to complex layers of other notes, some spicy and some cedar like. It meandered beautifully and lasted forever, or a whole day at least.

November 2012
    I had the chance to try an older Vetiver from around 15 years back. It is clearly deeper yellow in colour and more spicy than the current version. I would say it smells more from turmeric while the most recent version is more soapy. Better or not....I am not sure.

02 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2012)

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

just one word...kinky!

26 June, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2012)