Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Skip Savage's avatar

Possibly the most tenacious fragance I own. The only scent to be there in the morning after a full day before.

A strikingly organic, pure, ethereal creation from the early days of men's fragrances. The vast majority of men in 1961 did not wear eau de toilette. Drugstore aftershave, like Old Spice or Aqua Velva, was the acceptable scent for a man. Even underarm deodorant was uncommon. Kennedy was in the White House, the Beatles were at the Cavern Club, and the world was not yet ready for sissy-smelling men. In that context, Guerlain Vetiver had to be beyond reproach.

Try this pioneering groundbreaker. It is fresh, delightful, natural, and beautiful. And different.

Vetiver was known in ancient times as the oil of tranquility. Ahhh...

26 July, 2006

Derawk's avatar

Best saved for sweltering hot days(70F+ is sweltering), this is the freshest vetiver with an excellent balance of it's ingredients. On the colder days, the smell of vetiver grass is all you may notice, and vetiver is an acquired taste of smell. The hot days are limited to a couple months up here, so my big inexpensive bottle will probably last a few years. Though if I moved south, then it would certainly dissipate much quicker... as I'd be a vetiver junky.

25 June, 2006

deepthought's avatar

An invigorating blend of earthy tones and citrus headiness.
    Lasts forever and smells great from all the way through it's life-cycle.

08 June, 2006

k_chandrashekar's avatar

The earthy and irrepressible individuality of Vetiver is here smoothened and rendered irresistibly wearable in an exhibition of genius.
    Robustly nonconformist, yet exquisitely refined and tasteful, this classically fashionable scent is one of those rarest of rare creatures: a Masterpiece.

04 June, 2006

's avatar

To me, fewer things smell worse. Dirt, grass, and chewing tobacco.

02 June, 2006

Nikolas@_'s avatar

Hello all, my first review here although I visit reguraly this site for 2 years and have tried many fragrances based on what I read here. one of them was Vetiver. After reading so many good reviews I tried it on a duty-free airport shop and I liked it a lot... I don't know what the original smelt like, but this one is very good. I excpected it to be more crisp, but I think its great anyway! Its longlasting and its drydown brings out the tobacco, which as a non smoker I dont mind at all...

I usually wear it at work, although it can be easily worn on evening-formal occasions...

10th May, 2006

Markymark's avatar

I absolutely love this unique fragrance. It was my first purchase when I became a member here -- in fact, I purchased it blind and have no regrets at all. It is greater in warmer temps as the vetiver opens up more and makes it more fresh smelling. In the cooler temps, it's more smokey with the tobacco note. I prefer wearing it in the warmer temps. But, I honestly envision heaven to smell like this frag - fresh, earthy and organic. I often times even wear it to bed. GV is a winner that sits really well on my skin giving me awesome longevity - more than any other fragrance and never cloying. Being it is so unique, I would suggest testing first. I got lucky buying it blind. There's nothing at the local mall/department store IMO that smells like this very fine fragrance.

07 May, 2006

zztopp's avatar

I have been wearing Guerlain Vetiver (GV) for over an year now, and its strange that I haven't reviewed it yet. It's probably because I have been enjoying this fragrance so much that whenever I put it on, it imposes on me a feeling of calm, its earthy yet tranquil vetiver note intoxicating in its expert realization in this manly potion.

Wearing GV is like having a knowledgeable and friendly tutor help you accomplish a task which absolutely has to be done. In this case, the task would be to familiarize oneself with the vetiver note, a note which many find too pungent and ghastly for their taste. GV makes the note apparent from the very beginning - BUT, like a good tutor/teacher, it eases you in by flanking the note with crisp citrus notes. The top construction eases you in - from there, GV evolves to a more rich and heavy base of tobacco and vetiver. During intense summers, the tobacco note may become more pronounced and might even be offputting to some - to be fair, in the reformulated Vetiver the tobacco note is a bit synthetic. I find that if applied evenly using no more than 3 sprays, the notes flow better. Longevity and sillage are near perfect.

GV is ultimately one of the easier introductions to vetiver. Some may prefer Creed's Original Vetiver (an excellent offering itself), but it comes at a price...no, I am not talking about the less intense vetiver note, I was hinting at the $195 price tag. If you are willing to venture out of Original Vetiver's protective cocoon, GV will be an excellent choice. Its easy on the wallet, and a top tier fragrance to boot. Citrus, grassy, with a base of tobacco. JP Guerlain created this when he was 22 years of age .. a hell of an accomplishment that. Be a man, take the plunge.

Rating: 8.25/10

06 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2009)

mobyv's avatar

probably a great scent on some. for me it had wonderful top notes that quickly mellowed to the smell of a good chewing tobacco.

24 March, 2006

fearful_symmetry's avatar

Guerlain makes the best vetiver. It's not a loud smell at all, very unobtrusive. Surprisingly complicated scent with many nuances. Vetiver, cedar, tobacco, nutmeg, pepper, and lemon are all prominent notes, while the others can be picked out with a little effort. The notes combine very softly and harmoniously with each other and never at any point mix akwardly. Dry down is great. Could last a little longer but really that's nitpicking just apply a little more and your fine...

25 February, 2006

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

I'll keep it short and sweet:
    The one and only. A sin to wear it to work, unless you love your job. This one is freedom personified. Uplifting and cheerful. My favorite of all the vetivers.

24 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

kmfdm10392's avatar

A real classic and one of Guerlain's finest men's fragrances. The tobacco and cedar are quite distinctive and really grab me. The pepper is very sharp, and incredibly masculine. This lasts all day on my skin, it stands out in a sea of samey fragrances, and the bottle ( not to mention the color of the juice itself ) is beautiful.

14 February, 2006

Joe's avatar

The nicest Vetiver Fragrance of all! Really great!
    I love it. The reactions of other people are quite complex... some people hate it, and say that it is terrible! Mothballs and things like that!!! But there are also people who fall instantly in love with that Fragrance... Well I LOVE IT!

15 January, 2006

green_man's avatar

Absolutely, definitely, assuredly, NOT for me. I wore this three times, and each time I actually felt nausea setting in. One night, I kept sniffing my wrist in an attempt to find at least one pleasant note... The result was a queasy stomach and a headache. I didn't find anything fresh about it, but my wife stated it just smelled like a nasty soap. She said it was nothing special, and even struck her as gross. I have a strong sense of smell, and this one was just way too offensive for me. I was disappointed, because I enjoy green scents as I am an outdoorsman/ naturalist, and based on other reviews here, I thought that I was going to love this one. I guess that yet again, I go against the majority vote. This fragrance is to me, what Kryptonite is to Superman. Result: F-

15 January, 2006

Squeezeweasel's avatar

A rootsy, earthy vetiver with a citrus breath of a topnote which mellows to soft, comfortable grasses. Glorious - my favourite vetiver.

14 January, 2006

Christoph_Georg's avatar

Oh yeah, thats a mans cologne!!! Fresh, citrus, vetiver, yummy hmmm....Still classic though, has a great personality, nothing like most of the new scents which often smell like they want to satisfy everyones taste. It has its own style so some will like it and some won't. Guerlain was very clever to relaunch it instead of discontinueing it like so many others do. They believed in their product and did very well. I would say that this is a scent for men above 30 though. Some of the views also suggested that girls could and do wear it too for fun. I must say, I like that idea!

10th January, 2006

womble's avatar

Superb scent from the rush of lemon with tobacco,
    to the earthy dry down. Then I get a curious sweetness not constant or strong just very mild,comes and goes, did`nt think I would take to the earthy smell but love it.Very glad I got this one

01st January, 2006

teflondog's avatar

I really wanted to like this because it's a classic and it's Guerlain, but I'm just not too wild about citrus or vetiver scents. It starts off pretty decent with a fresh green note but the drydown ruins it for me. It develops into a dry and earthy vetiver note that lacks the sweetness that I crave in frags. It's a benchmark vetiver scent, but it's not for me.

29 December, 2005

leopoldo's avatar

Spiky, sharp, varied and refreshing. A great spring and summer addition to any fragrance wardrobe, even if you don't like vetiver.

14 December, 2005

Lyman's avatar

[insert moan of delight] What a soft, foggy, sweet, tasteful, comforting scent. There's something satisfying about a scent that's so complete, like a correct mathematical formula, with a self-evident, satisfying integrity. (And the color is beautiful, and so is the bottle!)

02 December, 2005

Liquidman's avatar

It is my first aroma Vetiver I it has got in relaunched versions.. After I could find earlier version of this aroma and have been pleasantly surprised as it has appeared more interesting though I shall not hide the new version to me too has liked, but it very rectilinear one-sided, in it is not present that softness and dimensions . Sparkling, the bergamot, is a little tobacco, hints of spices and at last wonderful Vetiver all it very much does not get to new aroma. Great Guerlain have gone on a simple way and have changed this wonderful aroma.

29 November, 2005

madgradrx's avatar

I know it's not a niche, but this is my favorite vetiver. I love how the tobacco and vetiver blend to give a rich, earthy accord that borders on gothic, not something I expected.

07 November, 2005

RitaMae's avatar

It's so delicious a fragrance that when I run out of my own bottle, I borrow my boyfriend's. Has much more substance than Dior's "Eau Savage."I love the way it changes on your skin every few seconds. It heats up when you're flushed & you can really smells the woods & spice, then it cools off in the shade and you get the bergamot, citrus & herbs. A great fragrance for either sex, and expecially delightful to wear on a hot summer day.

01st November, 2005

I wore Guerlain Vetiver in the '80s and into the '90s... I wasn't crazy about it, but I enjoyed wearing it and thought it a very good fragrance. Recently I decided to return to it, bought a new bottle, and discovered that it had changed from its '80s version... Changed so much that now I cannot tolerate it: It makes me nauseous ...I'm not exaggerating... genuinely nauseous. God bless the EU standards that save us from dangerous ingredients.

15 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2010)

emad's avatar

Iran Iran

classic it is , i like most of guerlain line and vetiver is one of my fav , try vetiver frozen for summer its fresher and younger

05 October, 2005

levente's avatar

Allow me to weigh in on the controversy regarding the change in formula. Did Guerlain change the formula? Of course they did! The newer one has more citrus, and the notes have been technicolored. Now, the pepper, tobacco and cedar explode off the skin, whereas the older formula is a smoother blend. But the new one is nevertheless great. Complex, bracing and constantly developing (my father, who is no connoisseur, told me that GV keeps changing on his skin throughout the day), JP Guerlain's great masterpiece continues to entice. Notice to Guerlain: bring back the original as "Vetiver Classic" and most fans of this fragrance would own both!

29 September, 2005

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Never been a vetiver fan and this rendition is no exception. Still I really appreciate this classic blend, just not on my own skin. Green, grassy and lemony opening, maybe a hint of coconut as well? It progresses through the typical vetiver, slightly bitter and soilish - this is the part I can't stand. But the tobacco/tonka base significantly mellows it out leaving a very nice finish. Not for me but I won't diss it either, it's just too darn classic. Would put it next to Eau Sauvage in terms of timeless appeal.

25 September, 2005

IPaidForThisName's avatar

Guerlains Vetiver is a classic. A beautiful fragrance. It’s really too bad it was reformulated recently. The new formulation makes Guerlain Vetiver seem like Guerlains Citrus with a hint of Vetiver. Vetiver is a nice gentlemanly fragrance. The citrus isn’t quite as sparkling or fresh as it is on many other Vetiver interpretations like Racine and VE. It’s a classic staple that most people should own or have at least tried.

19 September, 2005

bakhmet's avatar

Took a risk with this one and bought it over the internet based on curiousity. I'm glad I did, because I love this one. It's simple, fresh and feels like I can wear it anytime of day, for any season. Also, great to wear to work. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and this really seems to be an "appropriate" fragrance for the area. Very green.

08 September, 2005

R's avatar

If you get the right "batch" its a great scent. Beautiful green "grass" notes melded with tobacco notes

06 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2009)