Positive Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

nefastvs's avatar

This one is another one of my favs. One of these scents that I can't stop sneaking whiffs of myself when wearing. Great for warm springtime days (70-80°F/20-25°C) and even hotter temps, if you're not OCD about what you wear and when, like myself. It's a refreshing scent, and that's nice during the warmer days.

Starts off nice and clean, with the citrus and herbal accords, the vetiver coming though with it's soapy notes. I actually get a lot of the spicy sharpness of the basenotes early on too. The drydown sweetens the fragrance up a bit. The richness of the spices and the woodiness of the vetiver and cedar pop in. Later on the tonka, tobacco, and nutmeg tempers the soapy, woody vetiver with richness, but not so much that it wouldn't be called a vetiver scent. No, this one still smells nice and fresh after the basenotes start singing.

24 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2012)

nathanielfields's avatar

I can't help that I'm reminded of Diptyque L'Eau de Tarocco on the dry down with this one. Opening notes for me were true vetiver, hints of pine and cedar. Also, dare I say, a bit of baby soap lingering in the background.

15 February, 2012

Theallmikey's avatar

This is one classy perfume for sure. The first time I smelt it, I didn't like it that much; it was just way too harsh for my nostrils. Years later I gave it another go, and I suddenly imaged being in an early 60's smoke filled bar where 30+ year old gentlemen with suits talk about life. I liked that, so I decided to buy it and I'm glad I did.
    Because of the really harsh start (it is really spicy to me: it might be the corriander) some people might call this perfume "old", but give it a few minutes and that harshness will go away. It stays spicy, but the citrus goes away (quite fast really) to reveal a pleasent warm woody note that last for quite a long time, but is not obnoxiously present (or stink). I can wear it with confidence for just about every occasion. I like it a lot!
    You should give it a try and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

11th February, 2012

srmd22's avatar

I see why this is a classic. Fresh, rich, vetiver, awesome. I am not sure if this is the old stuff from the frosted bottle or the new stuff, as I got a flacon online, but I don't notice a heavy tobacco note, so it might be the newer one. I am just getting into vetivers, and have about 10 of them, and this is one of the tops for me.

31st January, 2012

Dictator's avatar

This is what you can read on the new bottles(after 2010 and on):

''The mythical VETIVER fragrance recaptures its original bottle. A scent that evokes the duality of nature: disorder and harmony, freshness and warmth.''

and you also get a word from the creator:

''The scent of earth after the rain, the cool breeze of an earthy moning, the aroma of tobacco... each of these was a source of inspiration wich gave rise to my first perfume, VETIVER'' Jean-Paul Guerlain.

Well I guess it's an apology for the 10 years of that stinky and heavy lemony smell that was the juice in the 2000-2010 RIP ribbon bottle.

Thumbs down for the old juice and thumbs up for the new one.

23 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2012)

ericrico's avatar

*Note: The review is for Original Vintage Guerlain Vetiver Eau De Cologne

I have several contributions to make here to the "Guerlain Vetiver review page" - an homage of sorts. To preface, I must first say that I am a huge fan of vetiver and my collection of vetivers is broad and deep (I have far more bottles than what is in my wardrobe). Second, I believe Guerlain's Vetiver to be the basis point from which all vetiver fragrances should be considered. It is a classic, a true masterpiece in fragrance. I will begin in chronological order. I just purchased a large, Original Vintage 6oz Flacon of Guerlain's Vetiver Eau De Cologne (that came in the black & white zig-zag/zebra box). Stunning. Amazing and mesmerizing juice. This is over 40+ years old and was kept perfectly - I bought it from an online dealer with a great reputation. The EDC is the essence of vetiver - clean, crisp, invigorating and deep without the tobacco from the EDT. It is Vetiver in its truest form...only a bit of citrus seems to be there, but most of that is gone. There is absolutely nothing synthetic at all - this is apothecary and perfumery in harmony. As old as it is, in no way does it feel musty or dated. This is actually fresher smelling than bottles over 30 years younger than it! It is almost like wearing the oil of fresh vetiver root that has been diluted enough to not be harsh in any way. It does go on sharp (a bit pungent, but rich and awe-inspiring), but it dries down to its fantastic and true form quickly (10-15 minutes or so) as the composition, to me, evokes the images of squeezing the essential oil of fresh vetiver root and then blending it with fresh spring water flowing in a beautiful green field...it is almost ethereal. There is nothing more pure than Guerlain EDC from Vintage stock that has been kept perfect and cared for. My bottle was still sealed. It does not last as long as I would like in cold weather (50 degrees today and overcast), but it is so fresh I couldn't help but wear it - and reapply it. This will be a show-stopper in the spring, summer and warmer fall days. Overall - 10/10 for a pure, linear scent! And, one that has established an entire world of fragrances from its creation. A timeless bottle to enjoy for years to come...magnificent!!!!

21st January, 2012

angelica's avatar

I have just purchased the newest version, in the classic bottle not the 2000s frosted bottle. It is a revelation. I hope this is a sign of Guerlain taking feedback seriously and that others may follow suit. It smells like the money has gone into the juice and not a heavy glass, fancy (albeit beautiful) bottle. The last version was harsh and loud with super-sonic citrus and heavy tobacco. This is light and understated and elegant with good longevity and radiance. I for one am delighted with this reformulation and hope it is here to stay!

12 January, 2012

Dernier_Cri's avatar

I usually don't review classics like Guerlain Vetiver or Mitsouko or No. 5. I like smelling these things. They're educational and fascinating because of their history and legacy and who wore them and for those reasons I have a respect for them with makes me reluctant to be completely objective in my criticisms. Plus I don't think there's anything new I could add to what's already been said by so many wellintentioned reviewers. With classics for some reason all the reviews both good and bad seem appropriate. But I wanted to tell a personal little story relating to Guerlain Vetiver which is that when I was little and on vacation with my family we stopped at some Civil War site and my dad bought me some fake Civil War currency which I thought was really cool. It was all sepia colored and wrinkly and best of all it had the most intiguing sweet smell. I asked my dad why it smelled like that and he said, "Tobacco juice." They made it smell like tobacco juice. So if you ever find yourself wanting or needing to make your own fake Civil War currency I am here to suggest to you that you could do worse than to spray your notes with Guerlain Vetiver because the smell of Guerlain Vetiver is what made me think of that fake money after all these years. That's my story..... I know. ZZZZZ.

02 January, 2012

TitanCi's avatar

Wow, bought this blindly, and at first REALLY regretted it. I do advise anyone to try it first.

Having said that, on first opening the bottle, just like many have stated, I almost gagged. Smelled so strongly of powder, and somewhat like Raid. Others are CORRECT in describing it like this. I sprayed it on my wrist and almost had a bad headache. I tried it the next few days, and surprisingly, I am starting to like it and appreciate it now.

On first application, it is very powder-like. However on the dry down is when I hit the citrus-y notes and very natural green, organic, wood notes (if that makes sense). The scent totally alters and becomes very, very bearable and pleasant. I don't know if it's me psychologically trying to like it since I spent the money on it, but I'm sure it's because the scent is actually very nice. It's a safe, clean smelling scent.

Sillage on me is poor, but I'm glad I adjusted to it and didn't have to chuck it out the door. In all honesty, after trying it a few more times, I'm glad this blind buy didn't turn out to be as poor as when I first opened the bottle!

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

18 October, 2011

EdwardBenton's avatar

Northern Ireland Northern Ireland

My first impression of this scent was one of "datedness".

After wearing it a few times I feel I was being unfair.

There is a "powdery" note to this one and my girlfriend often decries its "dated" smell, but I feel that is down to association and fashion trends - and not the scent itself.

Wear this for a few days before you judge, it, wear it for a few weeks and no one else will - because theyll overcome their initial prejudices and associate it with you.

Clean, soothing and natural, this scent is a quiet winner.

05 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st September, 2011)

gambit's avatar

Happy 50th anniversary Vetiver!

(yes I know it's been reformulated but let's not get too technical, shall we?)

A signature scent, especially in warmer weather. It lasts long on me, the drydown is excellent. Mid-afternoon and I'm still sniffing my inner elbow. Wonderful stuff.

I will forever be indebted to BN for introducing me to this frag.

Two notes: I am over 40 and not into the current 'marine' scents. I can't even seem to carry off GIT.

Also, I saw this described as 'bitter and nasty' in a neg review; which can also be said of me. Maybe that's why I love it.

22 August, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Not much to say about Guerlain's Vetiver as it's possibly the most popular and seminal vetiver based fragrance ever created. A "no spurprise" linear composition that's at the same time classy, versatile, outstandingly wearable, contemporary, all year-round, honest and solidly crafted. If you like your vetiver to be enriched by citrus on top (I'm talking about the reformulated version) you have to look no further. This is the holy grail. A timeless masterpiece.

23 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2011)

chet31's avatar

Soapy, makes it smell like you just showered. Perfect for the gym bag, which is exactly where mine resides.

23 June, 2011

WillBell's avatar

This was one of my favorites. A clean crisp vetiver without the sweetness my nose detects with Carven or Roger & Gallet. Dry, like the Creed Vetiver. A light crisp citrus overlays the underlying vetiver, and the faint cedar is a plus. I love the old scent, the yellow one. I think there is a difference between the old and the new. Luckily, I have several bottles of the old in my wine cooler. I will try the new formulation again; maybe I was just prejudiced by the new color and packaging.

23 June, 2011

paolo_alcantara's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Clean, classic. Very versatile. This is one of those scents I wouldn't mind wearing everyday. Can be worn on almost any occassion. This scent is definitely a classic and a timeless one. Definitely not a modern scent. Personally, my tastes have changed over the years, and I would say that my preference on fragrances has tilted slightly in favor of classic smelling fragrances as opposed to the more modern smelling scents, and this has been one of my go to fragrances. If in a particular day, i haven't decided what scent to wear, I could pick Vetiver without any hesitation at all. Again, let me emphasize: a classic.

10th June, 2011

blah114's avatar

I used to not like this, but have since come to love this. It's amazing after a few hours. A staple and classic.. something that can be worn anytime.. anywhere.

02 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2011)

madwit17's avatar

Nutmeg, citrus, and cedar are the notes that stand out to me in this vetiver. Fresh and light, just the kind of scent I want to put on early in the morning. Love the sillage on this; I smell it as I shift and turn all day. I had about 5 different fragrance strips sitting on my desk one day and GV was the only one I could smell at a distance. Something so reliable about this scent, to me - like it would never let me down. Ladies! Take note. This would smell great on you.

01st May, 2011

Gilgamesh2003's avatar

Incredibly beautiful, linear vetiver with traces of smoke. The scent is somehow transparent - it's strong, and sharp, but never screechy. It makes me think of green glass (and what a pity that they discontinued the beautiful, asymmetrical green glass bottle). Good sillage and longevity.

If you've never smelled vetiver before you might start here. This particular vetiver nods to the rooty earthiness of its origin but remains sparkling and fresh nonetheless. There's something about it that hints at the comforting cleanliness of dryer sheets without smelling in the least like them.

The first few times I tried this I found it rather dank and wet, but after a few wearings it revealed itself to be dry and clean (as MHV writes below). I far prefer its simplicity to the busy, dense earthiness of Lalique's Encre Noir, the other vetiver that Basenoters often recommend. Not that Vetiver is all that simple - beneath its coherent surface there's a lot going on, but you don't need to pick it apart to enjoy it, and to know that's it's a classic.

04 April, 2011

Tfx77's avatar

I am slightly biased when it comes to vetiver's, you have to of at least sampled a few to understand what you are buying (I am a sucker for blind buying) and I can see how they would not be for everyone; they not as playful as the Aquatics of the modern era

Back to this frag, the opening notes are a bit like a child on a bike after they have first taken their stabilisers off, it wobbles a bit with a chemically, bug killing spray but you really have to hold your nose for a few minutes until it settles as the rest of the opening and ride home is really very pleasant, it really does grow more complex as it goes on and unlike some other reviewers, I find it last really well on me. I enjoy wearing this in the day when I don't have a lot to do other than to enjoy the day.

I actually prefer Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford over this as it opens better, lasts longer. Solution? Own both of them.

The old version sounds very interesting, it is a pity it is that though; old and retired.

26 March, 2011

ArthurFerreira's avatar

Brazil Brazil

A classic, a masterpiece on choice of notes and chords that support harmonically the best smell of vetiver. Male, consistent, deep and very elegant, has good sillage and impressive longevity of more than 18 hours.

17 March, 2011

rain///man's avatar

A very complex fragrance that is definitely not for everyone. Especially, not for the fresh water crowd.

It is intended for very mature individuals, and that does not mean maturity as in age, the two are mutually exclusive. To me, it is exuberant of confidence, someone who has their head screwed on right, could be anyone from 15 to 50.

Most people say they get Tobacco in the background, I get it almost as much as the vetiver it self, it adds a dense smoky and warm blend to the freshness of the Vetiver Just an incredible blend, at least on my skin.

16 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 May, 2011)

Fragrant Mr Fox's avatar

An absolutely wonderful fragrance. Gorgeous from start to finish. Fresh, crisp, clean, yet with a whispy hint of smoky pepperishness just to keep things interesting. I've already bagged myself a bottle of this, and use it as one of my staples, throughout the year.

22 February, 2011

MHV's avatar

Tight, dry, clean.

I find Habit Rouge too complex; Vetiver has the straightforwardness of an executive summary, and the maturity of the one meant to read it.

04 February, 2011

RHINORAY2's avatar

If your new to vetiver and all you've known are aquatic and citrus scents, you have to give this masterpiece a chance! One of the best vetiver's in the wotld. Carey Grant like sophistication.

23 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 August, 2011)

digger51's avatar

This one took a while to grow on me. I tried it the day I bought it and decided it was not for me and tried to trade it. I tried it a week later and still did not care fore it and put it on the back of the shelf. I decided to give it one more chance and put it on my wrist in the afternoon. I really paid attention to the dry down and began to understand and appreciate Vetiver by Guerlain. As stated many times this is a complex scent that has many facets and it develops in a really fantastic way over time. I believe I am going to put this in my top five and I will use this bottle to the end.

23 January, 2011

ricklee's avatar

I bought this blind based on a lot of positive reviews. I sprayed it in my car and thought immediately: What The Hell is this Crap? I was disappointed and felt this is the fragrance of an old man who sells bug spray at a flea market.

The next day I tried it again and felt it was not so bad this time.

The third day, I started to discover the attractive nuances of wood and grass. That would be the middle notes of cedar and vetiver.

The fourth day, I noticed the undercurrent of spicy cigar smoke. That would be the base notes tobacco and pepper note.

The fifth day, I noticed the early scent of citrus and indian spice. That would be the top note of lemon and coriander.

The sixth day, I sprayed this ten times on a rag and kept it in the laundry tub. When I entered the house, I was hooked on the smell. Guerlain seems to be an old style that took a long time for me to understand.

I am glad it took me only a week to appreciate and respect how good and unique in the fragrance world this Vetiver scent is. It did not change, I did. I gave it to my seventy-three year old father and he liked it immediately.

20th December, 2010

neo_the_1's avatar

Nothing more to say about this classic.I have tried a few vetivers...namely vetiver extreme,lanvin vetyver,carven vetyver,Encre noir....still looking for more...but this is the best of all vetivers I tried and also one of the best of my collection.
    Whenever I wear this,It makes me feel "RICH".Even better than GIT as far as my skin is concerned.

16 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2011)

Maharani's avatar

I am a South Indian woman who has worn this for 20+ years. My mother first discovered it and bought me some. She was particularly pleased to find it as Vetiver is a classic scent used in South India, where the plant grows, and the name is in fact Tamil.....it was used for years to weave tatties or curtains which when wet cooled and scented the house. I had no idea it was a masculine perfume so I went on happily wearing it and still do! In fact vetiver is also used to scent drinking water and I possess vetiver syrup, which is used on ice cream or in soft drinks in India and makes a great cocktail too! The categories of scent v food flavoring are much more porous in India than in the West, and indeed, I doubt anyone would say it was specifically a masculine scent either. THat said, to me this is a very authentic vetiver in that it has the true vetiver scent. I like the tobacco note and it has the elegance of a true Guerlain. I wish it was longer lasting, but I suppose as a cologne type fragrance the intention was to create something lighter. It has always been a favorite of mine.

15 December, 2010

derekhazelfjmax's avatar

Recently bought this as although I dont really like the scent as it goes on - too grassey - it develops into something really nice and fresh and seems to change with time. Lastes for several hours - may be better than the comme de garcons Vetiver but I am not sure...

04 December, 2010

yoyo's avatar

My best blind buy ever. It opens up with a baby powder smell, which some people might associate with fecal smell. But after 2-3 hours it dries down to a mature and clean vetiver scent. If you like the dry-down but can't stand the baby powder smell, then you should try Original Vetiver by Creed, which opens with bug spray smell instead, but takes shorter time to develop into the beautiful vetiver scent. Guerlain Vetiver lasts all day long on my skin, no complaint on longevity.

02 December, 2010