Positive Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

yoyo's avatar

My best blind buy ever. It opens up with a baby powder smell, which some people might associate with fecal smell. But after 2-3 hours it dries down to a mature and clean vetiver scent. If you like the dry-down but can't stand the baby powder smell, then you should try Original Vetiver by Creed, which opens with bug spray smell instead, but takes shorter time to develop into the beautiful vetiver scent. Guerlain Vetiver lasts all day long on my skin, no complaint on longevity.

02 December, 2010

colden's avatar

This is a complex, fresh, earthy, tangy, smoky, spicy, and altogether deeply satisfying composition. It develops over a two to three hour period on my skin. Its base lasts four to six hours on my skin and 24 hours on the collar of my shirt.

Different notes speak to me on different days. The uncapped bottle smells of medicinal and tar-like tobacco cut by ripe citrus.

The top notes are citrus and spice, recalling fresh lime on some days and Sri Lanken curry on others.

The heart is a tangy and tart vetiver note in a haze of smoke. Sometimes it arrives cold and stark. Other times, the vetiver is visited by fresh jalapenos and habeneros. Under different circumstances it collaborates with powder to creates a fog machine effect.

The tobacco in the base is not the shredded and chemically altered leaves found in cigarettes or ashtrays, as others have noted. It is instead whole tobacco leaves drying in the barn on a Southern estate. When primed with the smells of food, the nutmeg will stand aside from the proceedings wafting separately.

This is currently my favorite fragrance and hope to get to know it even better in the future. I recommend it to any man.

25 August, 2010

Kaern's avatar

The benchmark for all who followed. Smells slightly different 15 years on since I first purchased -- a bit less cosy and friendly, but it still has that honest smell of the root of this grass, albeit touched up with some tobacco. It's a close run thing between this and Lubin's for my favourite fresh woody vetiver, but who cares -- they are both wonderful.

23 August, 2010

alvinnjoinerIV's avatar

Philippine Philippine

the habit rouge bottle smelled like cannabis, which i thought awesome. the frosted bottle smells like carolina herrera 212 for men. thumb up for the vintage version.

19 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 February, 2011)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

This fragrance used to be perfection in a bottle, the old formulation was, by far, my favorite perfume of all times, and to me, it will never be surpassed, by none, ever. The reformulated scent is just the shadow of the original, but still is one of the best out there, now is not my absolute favorite, but still hangs in the best 5 category. Other Vetiver perfumes have also been reformulated but they really screw the perfume, like Vetiver from Carven, used to be really good, but now it is a total disgrace to its name. So I am thankful that Guerlain, although could not mantain the quality of the original, at least recreated something that is still extremely good

17 August, 2010

Oviatt's avatar

I was a precocious lad; my first scent in the early seventies wasn't by Jovan or Shulton. It was Guerlain's Vetiver that I picked out myself. That was the original formulation and even though I loved it and used the whole bottle, I never replaced it (moving on to Dunhill's wonderful Blend 30). For some reason, it smelled great but never smelled like me. Maybe I just wasn't used to wearing fragrance (fine French ones, anyway). Since then, I have worn several other Guerlain scents, in fact consider Heritage to be a signature scent, but I have never returned to Vetiver, through its reformulations....

Until now. I recently bought a bottle of the 1988 Eau de Toilette and I must say, it is wonderful.

It has all of the freshness and depth that I remember plus an oddly smokey, oily, wet note that I did not recall smelling all of those years ago. Many posters here call it the perfect summer scent. I don't see it as the perfect summer scent the way Imperiale or Eau du Coq are, for example. It may just be a perfect scent for all seasons, full stop. This in the fall would be wonderful, with its nutmeg and tobacco. Now it smells very much like me and has (re)joined my collection for good.

07 July, 2010

actiasluna's avatar

Guerlain Vetiver is one of my all-time favorite scents. I have both the new and older formulations, and find myself reaching for both of them quite often. But the new formulation IS different. I feel that the reformulation has a little less balance than the vintage, a little bit more citrus forward in the top, and skewed so that the nutmeg note comes on stronger than the rest of the spice. Perhaps a tweak to meet the current trend toward FRESH and CITRUS... Still, the reformulation is a great hot weather scent as it is a little "fresher"... but the vintage formulation is the classic grassy, spicy, woody, slightly humusy/earthy vetiver.

A side note about the GV scented all-over shampoo: I wish I knew where I could find an endless source of the old formulation's all-over shampoo, as it is the best product I've ever used on my hair and skin... it smells amazing and my hair is so shiny when I use it... I purchased the reformulation version which is quite different, both in smell and in how well it works... the new formulation is harsh and dries my skin and hair, whereas the old formulation was, well, perfect.

06 June, 2010

shamu1's avatar

About ten years ago I had a small bottle of Guerlain’s Vetiver. I loved it and used up the bottle, but I didn’t replenish it. For years since then I’ve been spraying my hand with this from testers I’ve picked up in stores, always assuming Guerlain would never discontinue this and that I could always get another bottle at any time. I finally decided a few days ago to buy another bottle, this time the giant 4.2 oz. bottle.

I can’t believe I’ve been without this amazing fragrance for so long.

Forget about the fact that Guerlain reformulated this. It doesn’t matter. We’re talking about the best vetiver fragrance in the world here. So what if doesn’t smell dark, smoky, earthy, or contain any other gimmicks that niche firms like to throw in their fragrances? Guerlain’s Vetiver is great for the same reason Azzaro Pour Homme is so great: it is a perfectly balanced fragrance.

As in any true vetiver fragrance, Guerlain’s vetiver note is the star of the show, but it is blended with citrus, wood, spice, pepper and tobacco notes in such a way that they add color and complexity to the fragrance while simultaneously acting as a buttress to the main vetiver note. These supporting notes blend with the main vetiver note seamlessly while never overpowering the vetiver; rather they enhance the vetiver’s best qualities. Only truly great perfumes acheive this kind of perfect balance. Guerlain’s Vetiver demonstrates what true perfume artistry is all about, making most other perfumes smell like they were thrown together by amateur hacks.

Guerlain Vetiver is truly a masterpiece and is the pinnacle of masculine elegance. It is a scent that will separate you as a man among boys. Wear this proudly and often, and show the rest of the world how real perfumers work their magic.

My rating: 10/10

24 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2010)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

What a beautiful classic creation. Masculine and fresh, elegant and kind. Love it! BUT, there's this huge BUT, I simply can't see myself wearing it. I just can't pull it off and that's that.

17 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2013)

smh78's avatar

This gorgeous cologne has to be the holy grail of men's woody fragrances. I cannot get enough of it. It smells like cedar, but a cedar in heaven, surrounded by ferns and fragrant oriental spices. I really don't think it could be improved. Perfect balance, seemingly simple, yet so evocative and handsome. I imagine green forest, fresh and moist, with moss growing on craggy rocks. It is twilight, it has just finished raining, and all the leaves of the woodland plants have been bruised ever so slightly, and they all give off an incredible scent.

When I lived in Montana, I used to go with my friends to this natural hot spring out in a cedar forest. We would have to hike in a mile or so, often through wet snow, to get to a miraculous place, where hot water bubbled out of the side of a mountain and cascaded into a green/blue river. You could sit in this river an remain warm in a little pool of water from the hot spring. It was truly heaven, and it smelled humid and musky and herbaceous and cedary just like Vetiver.

Guerlain is right on the money, as usual here. This does not strike me as formal or old fashioned, although it does have a certain classical structure. It is too good to be described as even a woody scent, since it is also a dirt fragrance and a spice fragrance. If Merlin wore cologne, this is what he would wear. It is mysterious, dark, and intensely natural. Amazing!

08 April, 2010

Olfactor's avatar

In a word: PERFECT!

Arguably one of the best men's frags ever.

06 April, 2010

Nihilist's avatar

i believe my grandfather wore this, and im twenty seven. i believe the tobacco note is the giveaway here. in short, this isnt going to stoke the fires of practically anyone whos fire still burns.

the scent itself is great, and lasts on me. its pleasant and absolutly masculine, so if youre in a situation composed mostly of men, this is reachable. no qualms about it being very enjoyable and worth it spray for spray.

but this isnt one you wear to hook up or on a date. with that caveat, thumbs up.

04 April, 2010

ricardohmedina's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Vetiver by Guerlain is a wonderful scent. The inicial citrus and sharp openning gives space for a woody, grassy and spiced base. Refreshing and warm at the same time, Vetiver is one of the best fragrances I have in my wardrobe. Great longevity and silage.

25 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 April, 2010)

Bigsly's avatar

I'm not sure if I have the reformulation or not. I didn't get any major tobacco presence, but there is a note that seems too strong or out of place. Perhaps, as another reviewer suggested, it is nutmeg. Anyway, I found this to be very similar to Vetiver de Puig, except that this one is a bit simpler and doesn't have the aldehydic "brightness" of VdP, which I don't like. While I don't find anything special about this one, I wouldn't mind it as a "change of pace" fragrance. It's a pleasant blend with just enough dynamism to make it at least worth having a decant of, if not a full bottle. Longevity seems good, though sillage seems mediocre.

17 March, 2010

Pleski's avatar

As I live in a country with few orchards and even less cedar trees, I find this fragrance exotic. The distict leafy citrus and slightly bitter herb notes evoke images of well ordered French fields segmented by slightly untame hedges and herb patches, something like you'd see in Impressionist landscape paintings.

I'd be a little uncomfortable wearing this as it evokes well-dressed European casualness which I don't aspire to, and still the smell intrigues me.

12 February, 2010

Tony T's avatar

i like it but not in love with it. i only own 2 vetiver's, this and azzaro's and find this more vibrant and radiant. full of grassy and earthy tones that please the senses, as everyday wear, but maybe not to the opposite sex. in the realms of eau sauvage by dior. very old scholl and gentlemen like. for the over 30 crowd for sure!!

10th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2010)

AMRA's avatar

Brazil Brazil

The finest parfum of the world for my husband: leaves me wanting to bite and fill him with kisses and kisses. I love it.

07 February, 2010

michailG's avatar

Olfactory, extraordinary, classic vetiver. It is the standard for vetiver fragrances to come. It lasts for hours and it is some time after application that it gives me the greatest pleasure. One think I find tough to measure is the strength of it. I like it on me but sometimes I am afraid it is overpowering for others around. So be careful not to apply too much.

02 February, 2010

Late-Hit's avatar

Hmmm. Not what I expected at all. The lemony opening is both strong and enduring. But what really startled me was the first thing that I thought of... Emeraude! Kind of weird, but even though the drydown of Vetiver is clearly more tobacco spicy and less powdery than Emeraude, there is a resemblence in there somewhere. Yes, and they're both green, too!

Of course, 1961 was a long time ago. But back then Emeraude was huge , and so it makes me wonder if somewhere lost in space and time there once was a fragrance under development called 'Emeraude pour Homme' that ended up being named 'Vetiver' ' instead. But I like it (and Emeraude) and will gladly give Vetiver two thumbs up.

12 January, 2010

bbBD's avatar

With so many excellent reviews preceding mine what can I really add? As you've figured out, Guerlain Vetiver is a blend of citrus, tobacco, and vetiver. Not the strongest vetiver for those of you who like pungency or earthiness, but excellent for anywhere-anytime use.

I will add the following tidbit: if you can find vintage Guerlain Vetiver EDC grab it! It's quite different from today's formula with a distinct, bracing vetiver note and only dashes of citrus and tobacco in the background. Don't let the 'edc' concentration scare you off - it's stronger then today's EdT.

04 January, 2010

Ayala's avatar

This is a vetiver that is seemingly simple and gives vetiver a clean, elegant and citrusy interpretation. But when noticing the unfolding of the different elements it reveals interesting layers of simple yet surprising combinations.

Citrus in the initial inhale turns into a peppery heart of nutmeg absolute, revealing the magic of this precious spice, which is the most supreme in this type of distillation, just as the freshly grated nuts. Pepper absolute is also present but to a lesser extend – it’s the luxury of nutmeg that is the star of the show.

A mysterious floral presence is secretly woven into the heart as well. It took me a while to place the jasminoidal floralcy and the almost candy-like fruitiness of orange blossom. It is only there to bond between the otherwise dry and somewhat eccentric notes, and you’ll notice it only if you lend an alert ear to it’s quite song.

The supporting base notes are of almost equal earthiness to that of vetiver – the infamous preciousness of aged patchouli, alluring as an adventure into closet full of clean woolen shawls. Cured tobacco leaves accentuate the dryness of vetiver, while tonka bean adds sweetness as well as a pipe tobacco suggestion. The base accord and dry down has a suave, elegant presence of palse suede leather and the smoothness of burnished woods along with that sweet and tart earthiness of vetiver that usually shows up only later into its dry down, once all the sharpness has dissipated.

These notes do not come one after the other in a procession; rather, they are dynamic and interactive, like a group of sea mammals surfacing out of the water for a breath in alternating moments, and at the end of only the vetiver sticks around and continues to play with the patchouli, tonka and tobacco which stays behind to keep it company.

Despite of its relative simplicity and innocent, almost non-ambitious treatment of vetiver. Vetiver by Guerlain is now a classic. It’s simplicity is both timeless and charming. If you love vetiver, you must try Guerlain’s interpretation. I haven’t tried all the vetiver fragrances there are in the entire world yet, but this won my heart instantly.

07 December, 2009

tanto's avatar

Vetiver is an old classic that never goes out of style. It always smells fresh and clean on any guy. I like it because it blends well with my body chemistry being I'm a swarthy, hairy guy, and can sweat very easily. It keeps me smelling fresh all day long and I never get a headache from Vetiver. My wife uses it sometimes too because she just loves the freshness it has to it.

29 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2010)

Bo Darville's avatar

Guerlain Vetiver is one of the few fragrances I know that is not only versatile enough to achieve all-weather, 365-day workhorse status but also enjoyable enough to consistently engage me both intellectually and emotionally. When nothing else fits, this is inevitably what I will reach for, and I honestly never tire of it.

GV opens with a fairly unique citrus accord that is succulent yet spicy (coriander). As the scent evolves, the "wet earth" aroma of vetiver, cedar, and tobacco dominates and is heavily accented by pepper. While this final stage is literally "dirt-y," I would certainly not describe it as fecal (unlike one or two commentators before me - yikes, bad samples?). Unlike others, I would also not characterize GV as "soapy," not that "soapy" is a bad thing. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones blessed with skin that loves this juice...

Edit 8 December 2013

I originally fell in love with the previous incarnation of this fragrance, that which is found in the frosted ribbed container. Boy, Guerlain really screwed the pooch with the reformulation sold in the Habit Rouge-style bottle. Gone is the heady, long-lasting citric freshness. I couldn't imagine wearing this in summer, and it was once my summer staple. Longevity is now also subpar. Depressing. A pox on you, Guerlain. Nice memories, though. For shame...

15 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2013)

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

This is a beautiful scent. It opens like a slap in the face, and dries down a beautiful woody/grassy base. Lasts well. Perfect for any occasion or season, can't miss with this classic.

12 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 November, 2010)

justaguy's avatar

A soapy, anise and licorice-like vetiver. Pretty linear form start to finish and unwaveringly pleasing. Somewhat boring however. Especially cloying if overapplied.

15 September, 2009

aud8us's avatar

The first time I smelled this was on a paper strip at the LAX Duty Free shop and didn't think much of it and passed. I've since come to understand you can't really tell squat about a fragrance based on a paper strip testing! Bought this the second time after trying it on my wrist, and now it's the one I find myself constantly reaching for. What's nice about this fragrance is that you can wear it just about year around, under any setting, and it just works. Work? Yes. On a date? Yes. Wonderful opening and very long lasting, the wonderful dry down delivers. I don't care how nice a fragrance smells, if it only lasts 2 hours then I feel like I've wasted my money - GV is a solid performer! A wonderful mildly sweet spiciness I can smell all day long, give it a try.

01st September, 2009

baldheadjim's avatar

Classy scent but not old or dated. Works well with my skin. Stays fresh on me even in the south Georgia heat!

16 August, 2009

Redbeard's avatar

A few days ago I tried the pre-2000 version on one arm and the post-2000 on the other. The old version smelled sweeter and more richly expressive in the top, but then got very weak, leaving only a little smoky green behind. (The funny thing is, I don't remember it being so weak on the previous times I've worn it.) The new version was sharper and stronger for the whole duratino, with more sour citrus in the top, and a reedy smell which I was able to pick up all throughout the development. I've found this reediness in the bases of a few other summery frags and I quite like it; it makes me think of bamboo. It appeals to me more than the tobacco in the base of the old version. Overall, they're noticeably different scents, but I like them both. They both convey the same classical candid and clean virility even though they go about it differently. If the old one continues to be weak in the middle and base for me, however, then even its richer top will not win it my favor over the new one. Still, it could just be that my bottle of the old version has lost some of its kick over the years.

02 August, 2009

greystreet's avatar

Upon first spraying the cologne, I didn't really care for it. But, as it got to the drydown about an hour in, it is very nice and fresh. This is definitely a classic sent. I am having a hard time deciding between this and Creed's OV. I am a big Creed fan, as I LOVE Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, and of course Original Vetiver. Overall, I think I like the Geurlain better, strictly because it isn't as sweet on me as OV.

GREAT FRAGRANCE!

30th July, 2009

azuresun's avatar

At first I wasn't a big fan of the opening, but it has grown me. The dry down smells fantastic, possibly one of the best things I have ever smelled. The scent really evolves on my skin and the silage is good, a little goes a long way for me. It lasts for hours, 6 hours easily, and I can still faintly smell it even after I wake up the next day. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy it, my wife simply just tolerates it. None the less, it is my personal favorite so far.

19 July, 2009