Positive Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

greystreet's avatar

Upon first spraying the cologne, I didn't really care for it. But, as it got to the drydown about an hour in, it is very nice and fresh. This is definitely a classic sent. I am having a hard time deciding between this and Creed's OV. I am a big Creed fan, as I LOVE Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, and of course Original Vetiver. Overall, I think I like the Geurlain better, strictly because it isn't as sweet on me as OV.

GREAT FRAGRANCE!

30th July, 2009

azuresun's avatar

At first I wasn't a big fan of the opening, but it has grown me. The dry down smells fantastic, possibly one of the best things I have ever smelled. The scent really evolves on my skin and the silage is good, a little goes a long way for me. It lasts for hours, 6 hours easily, and I can still faintly smell it even after I wake up the next day. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy it, my wife simply just tolerates it. None the less, it is my personal favorite so far.

19th July, 2009

Sunsetspawn's avatar

There are plenty of reviews here that will do this more justice than mine. But if you're still reading, why not find out what I think?

This fragrance is a jack of all trades. It's refined and gentlemanly, yet casual and fun. It's summer, and winter. It just molds to you.
    Do you wear a three piece suit while overlooking the fiction stacks at an old library?
    Vetiver
    Do you write the scores for video games?
    Vetiver.
    Do you cruise for chicks in a Trans Am with the T-tops off?
    Vetiver
    Do you pass the Grey Popoun in a car worth more than most people's houses?
    Vetiver.

All of the harsh edges of vetiver have been smoothed out; you cannot go wrong here.

16th July, 2009

ferickson's avatar

it was my go-to for a year or so when it was first (re-)released, before being demoted by my now ex-girlfriend, who didn't much care for it. after trying to get back into it, i found it still evokes a rich freshness, if somewhat harsh at times, especially on hotter days (perhaps a bit synthetic, as some have noted). when the mood strikes, this still makes me happy. though i have not once gotten a compliment from a girl on this one, which is worth keeping in mind.

27th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 06th August, 2009)

archibald's avatar

One of my very few criticisms of Basenotes reviews is that there seems to be more than a few people who seem to go out of their way to pan every fragrance that features an accord they despise. Seems a little counterproductive to wage a private War on Vetiver, or Coffee or ISO E Super or whatever in the review section.

If you do like Vetiver, look no further than GV. I find the vetiver accords in both Racine and in Givenchy Vetiver reissue marginally better articulated, but GV has hands down my favorite drydown in all of perfumery, managing to actually deliver what the marketers 99% of contemporary masculines can only promise--a precise "balance of sensuality and freshness."

22nd June, 2009

Ranger's avatar

This one took a few tries before I came to appreciate the scent of vetiver and to distinguish the other notes. At first all I got was soap. A few weeks later I tried it again, and the citrus and cedar arrived. The next time I wore this, it all came together. A very dry fragrance that I wear anytime, anywhere. Another scent that for the money makes some niche scents look positively overpriced.

17th June, 2009

xiikzodz's avatar

Starts with citrusy opening than harmonizes through the lemon with the vetiver notes. The vertical smoky, incense-like line always present is introduced to the citrus by neroli. It starts with nutmeg towards cedar, sage, myrrh slowly augments the tobacco notes which, transfer the fragrance from bitter and spicy vetiver to bittersweet one.

It seems the way to enjoy the fragrance is not to expect some vigorous follow up after the crispy opening. It is calmness that defines the smell. Green leaf, soil and sweetness of decay. Lemon-vetiver combination adds a soapy edge to this countryside experience.

The only con, in my opinion, Guerlain's Vetiver might not appeal to nostrils made of fiberglass mounted on some heuristically analytic component dismissing the scent for its geriatric quality.

Strongly recommended to people not afraid of occasional dirt under their finger nails.

08th June, 2009

MJW77's avatar

I have held back on reviewing Vetiver for a while now because I have gone through various emotions regarding the fragrance. I tested it and liked it, the fresh opening reminding me of cut grass on a summers day or clean linen hanging on a line. Then I began to get a little confused and doubtful about the drydown. I didn't think the drydown was unpleasant, I just questioned whether other people that might detect this fragrance on me would actually think I smelt nice. It was the tobacco and pepper notes. The thing was, if ever I put some on my wrist I kept wanting to smell it and did enjoy it. I was perhaps a little self conscious of what others would think. Having worn it a few times now though, I really don't care as I enjoy the fragrance immensely, and find that it gets better over time as it develops on my skin, and the 'guerlinade' of the tonka bean note becomes detectable. I would definitely recommend this fragrance and find myself wearing it a great deal. Thanks again to basenotes - I probably wouldn't have tried it otherwise!

22nd May, 2009

Merlino's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

** This review is for the Vintage EDC **

Current formulation Vetiver EDT was one of the first fragrances I tried after discovering Basenotes. Not liking what I sniffed, I immediately dismissed it as smelly old man. Then my Guerlain craze and I was determined to try everything Guerlain. I don't know what happened, but when I tried it again I really, really liked it! So when a bottle of vintage EDC came up I decided to give it a try.

The fragrance opens with very nice and natural smelling top notes of citrus. I spilled some on my hands while decanting into an atomiser and it just smelled exactly like bergamot and lemon. Didn't quite pick up on the neroli though. The topnotes make way for the vetiver and tobacco, first fresh from the pepper then darker. Sadly, I don't get much wood although there's supposed to be cedar in. All the way through the fragrance there is a very green feeling which I attribute to the tonka bean.

Two things strike me about this version when compared to the current EDT. First off, it is somehow wetter and sweeter than the current version which is drier. This one also smells less of vetiver and more of moist tobacco. It's not better, just different. The other thing that strikes me is that seven hours into the fragrance I can still smell it on my skin which I think is incredible given that it's an EDC!

Vetiver, be it vintage or current, EDC or EDT, is an incredibly versatile scent which basically just works in any situation. The only thing is that the wearer has to somehow be adult enough to wear it since it's not suitable for adolescents.

21st May, 2009

htch21's avatar

If this one could talk and you like vetiver it would say Im ya huckleberry! This is good and there is no doubt about it seems to be a favorite of most I like this as well so count me in Guerlain impressed with them!

16th May, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2009)

Classix's avatar

My fragrance journey began only a few months ago but in this short time I've sampled quite a few -- everything at Sephora plus about 25 well-regarded classics and niche frags. I've found very few that I really like and initially I was inclined to dismiss GV as too old fashioned/old man but I could also appreciate something special about its zesty greenness so I've been retrying it every few days. Well, today there was just enough left in my sample vial for one more wearing and I'm happy to announce that I was finally able to thoroughly enjoy the experience. The timing is perfect because it's just starting to get warm here in Wisconsin. Looking forward to a GV summer!

14th May, 2009

michau's avatar

Poland Poland

Guerlain Vetiver EDT, 2000 version

Distanced. Cold. Down to earth. Emotion-less.

Descgribing Guerlain Vetiver* I'd be a liar if I said I love it - I am as distanced to it as discanced is this scent. Though I can't imagine any other fragrance for daytime and formal wear. Calms me down, makes me feel serious and damn self-confident.
    I have just one concern: longevity.

Number one of my three/five Guerlain-second-skins (1. Vetiver/Coriolan - daytime, spring/summer, 2. Habit Rouge - fall, 3. Heritage/Mitsouko - special events.)

* Instead of Guerlain Vetiver this frag should be called Eau de Tabac, Hesperides et un peu de Vetiver - but it wouldn't sell as good as now, would it.

13th May, 2009 (Last Edited: 27th May, 2009)

Lumpen's avatar

Turkey Turkey

A classic, but only for office use.

24th March, 2009

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

For awhile very popular with some friends of mine. Many times I have been close to purchasing a bottle for myself but somehow I always pull back at the last moment (once because my wife dissed it as “a grandmother smell”.) Let’s say it’s a fragrance I admire but that just doesn’t fit me (I'm a Héritage man myself.) The tobacco note is the guilty party I think; suppressing like the smell of decaying plants (a bit like the lagoon they once used in the ad for the fragrance.) A classic nonetheless.

21st February, 2009

jekkah's avatar

Warm but fresh...I am a woman, but this is my preferred work scent. Not everyday for work, but on days when I need to feel super crisp and professional. Something about its crisp outdoorsy feel also makes me want to wear it for a fall hike and picnic. Great stuff on a woman or a man!

12th February, 2009

vcw's avatar

Fresh spinach sauteed with a bit of olive oil and lemon over an open fire. Clean and earthy at the same time. I like it. I am a bit surprised there's not more disagreement over this one given its, what I perceive to be, unique character. At around $50, I will buy.

04th February, 2009

classysmell's avatar

Very Citrusy. Nice smell to wear after a morning shower. It's very refreshing. Good to wear anytime.

02nd February, 2009

chris8519's avatar

Clean, soapy/spicy scent that smells great for the price. Longevity is rather high, but starts to fade around 2 hours. A good night-out scent.
    I really want to love this scent, but it doesn't mix well with my skin (most green scents do, though). It leaves a "playdough" note when mixing with my skin.

Nonetheless, a thumbs up scent. This is THE definition of a man's scent. If only I could wear it!

Recommended, but sample first. I'm lucky I did.

01st February, 2009

Giorgio's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

At first this classic not seduces me too much...but the drydown...magic combination of vetiver, cedar and peppery notes where the tobacco one is simple sublime. A weareable and fascinating masculine fragance, traditional french school, A must have.

25th January, 2009

Thomas Martin's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Guerlain Vetiver. Easily one of the top five male scents of all time, even after it's infamous reformulations. But I swear that the day Guerlain decides to relaunch it in its former glory, I will throw away all my other colognes and wear only this till the end of my days.

21st January, 2009

charger's avatar

Clean, fresh, citrusy, this will always be a favorite. I love the soapy (in a good way) fresh out of a shower feeling.

18th January, 2009

abc1234's avatar

Absolutely fantastic! It is very difficult for me to describe the smell for lack of terminologies. It is clean, subdued, classy, no sweetness, pleasant, fresh, ... I didn't imagine such fragrance can exist!

Two thubms UP!

17th January, 2009

journeyman's avatar

A recent 're-discovery' (after having an unpleasant time with the Aftershave version previously).

Nothing makes me want to sniff my wrist so much as GV currently seems to.

The initial bone-dry Citrus blast, woody middle notes and that Earthy drydown, with a noticable tobacco - a dried tobacco leaf - pipe tobacco even - note. But it is not overpowering. At least not in the EDT (2000 formulation)
    There is a powdery, almost talc-ish note that lasts throughout.
    if you are sensitive to that note, it will be noticible, and I'd guess if you are not fond of that dry, but still sweet aspect, then it may not be of your liking. I love it.

Currently my 'new' everyday Fragrance.
    Its all been said before - not much i can add. Just wanted to give it a thumbs up.

I did however have a bottle of the Aftershave previously. Oh dear..
    The tobacco note seemed more prominent, and dried to a dreadful stale Body Odor stink on my skin at least..
    was vert pungent for an Aftershave also. It may actually be to someones taste as an alternative. its definitely different. But not for me.

So my thumbs up (two if I could) goes to the GV EDT

08th January, 2009

jamdox's avatar

I give guerlain's classic vetiver, the post-oakmoss-gate reformulated version, a thumbs-up, because it deserves it. Guerlain's vetiver is a very pleasant, well-balanced vetiver fragrance. But, perhaps as a psychological reaction to its overwhelming popularity, I don't get much from it. The earthiness of the vetiver is toned down, and the citrus notes are turned up, and I feel like it's trying too hard to please, to be unobjectionable and friendly, for my tastes.

03rd January, 2009

reveillee's avatar

Very sharp scent. Fresh at first but this goes away quickly. May not be well liked for those used to the new boring generic colognes. Develops nicely with good sillage and longevity. I think I will have to buy a full bottle.

02nd January, 2009

Gblue's avatar

What I love about Vetiver is that it contradicts itself.
    It opens with a crisp, clean and green citrus, then as it develops, is a wonderfully dirty, earthy, spiced vetiver. No musk - excellent.

01st January, 2009

hashmita's avatar

India India

Highly Sophisticated
    Much ahead of its time
    long lasting
    to witness the drydown in the evening you need to spray on yourself the previous night,such a long scent

31st December, 2008

SigloV's avatar

I wear this as business cologne - it somehow gives me a feeling of authority. I think that's because so many modern fragrances are sweet and cloying on the dry drown and either make the wearer appear metrosexual or like they have just emerged from the locker room.

The sharpness of this vetiver coupled with its spicey tobacco give this a clean cut sillage that doesn't resort to vanilla to make it palletable. In a world of McDonalds, Pepsi, KFC and Pizza Hut etc this EDT gives you a sugar free scent experience with sophistication and style without being dumbed down for the younger nose.

27th December, 2008

Bartlebooth's avatar

An air freshener for the soul. This is an adorable fragrance from the first sighting of the bottle to the brisk dry down that follows. In a few seconds I was transported to a woody glade surrounded by nymphs and elves gamboling playfully in the morning dew.....sorry.

Seriously, this is simply beautiful, a sublime creation that belongs in everyones collection. Wearing this in the summer will lift your spirits and freshen your outlook in an instant.It has decent sillage, longevity and is very sophisticated. I cannot commend this highly enough.

22nd December, 2008

cee-go's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

One of the best fragrances ever. Real classy, real for men.

12th November, 2008