Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

WavingWheat's avatar

I am not sure how to take this scent. It is a quality French fragrance, yet it is not long lasting. It is a semi-sweet, grassy, slightly citrus, slightly woody, and peppery. Dries down into a somewhat sophisticated, mature scent. It is more than a barber shop tonic. Regardless of however classic it is, there are more modern version of this genre out there.

23 November, 2009

Bo Darville's avatar

Guerlain Vetiver is one of the few fragrances I know that is not only versatile enough to achieve all-weather, 365-day workhorse status but also enjoyable enough to consistently engage me both intellectually and emotionally. When nothing else fits, this is inevitably what I will reach for, and I honestly never tire of it.

GV opens with a fairly unique citrus accord that is succulent yet spicy (coriander). As the scent evolves, the "wet earth" aroma of vetiver, cedar, and tobacco dominates and is heavily accented by pepper. While this final stage is literally "dirt-y," I would certainly not describe it as fecal (unlike one or two commentators before me - yikes, bad samples?). Unlike others, I would also not characterize GV as "soapy," not that "soapy" is a bad thing. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones blessed with skin that loves this juice...

Edit 8 December 2013

I originally fell in love with the previous incarnation of this fragrance, that which is found in the frosted ribbed container. Boy, Guerlain really screwed the pooch with the reformulation sold in the Habit Rouge-style bottle. Gone is the heady, long-lasting citric freshness. I couldn't imagine wearing this in summer, and it was once my summer staple. Longevity is now also subpar. Depressing. A pox on you, Guerlain. Nice memories, though. For shame...

15 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2013)

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

This is a beautiful scent. It opens like a slap in the face, and dries down a beautiful woody/grassy base. Lasts well. Perfect for any occasion or season, can't miss with this classic.

12 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 November, 2010)

's avatar

Bitter and nasty! I like vetiver but this one is all wrong.

09 October, 2009

trebizond's avatar

Like a few other people here, I bought this without sampling first. I've also made other massive mistakes in how I live my life. This is absolutely awful stuff - the first hit is like snorting a line of pine toilet duck. It doesn't get any better from there on in - middle notes smells like an ashtray after five days of not being emptied, and then it just settles back into a generally offensive pine/tobacco/faux nature scent malevolence.

When I first tried this out, it knocked both myself and the girl I was testing it on sick. I washed it off and went back to something sensible, which she much preferred. I appreciate that many many people on here think it's lovely, and vive la difference, but please learn by my error and sample first.

05 October, 2009

justaguy's avatar

A soapy, anise and licorice-like vetiver. Pretty linear form start to finish and unwaveringly pleasing. Somewhat boring however. Especially cloying if overapplied.

15 September, 2009

aud8us's avatar

The first time I smelled this was on a paper strip at the LAX Duty Free shop and didn't think much of it and passed. I've since come to understand you can't really tell squat about a fragrance based on a paper strip testing! Bought this the second time after trying it on my wrist, and now it's the one I find myself constantly reaching for. What's nice about this fragrance is that you can wear it just about year around, under any setting, and it just works. Work? Yes. On a date? Yes. Wonderful opening and very long lasting, the wonderful dry down delivers. I don't care how nice a fragrance smells, if it only lasts 2 hours then I feel like I've wasted my money - GV is a solid performer! A wonderful mildly sweet spiciness I can smell all day long, give it a try.

01st September, 2009

manicboy's avatar

This review is for the current EdT formulation.

GV gets credit for being the first Vetiver-based scent. For a number of years, it was the only game in town if Vetiver was your calling. I can't vouch for older formulations or the EdC, but the current version smells of harsh chemicals. First time I wore this, I got a headache. 2nd time, no headache but nothing in this juice appealed to me. It came across as a miasma of green soapy tobacco leaves.

Now that Vetiver-based scents have filled the market strata to great success (see Encre Noire, Malle Vetiver Ext, & Etro Vetiver for some better executed takes on this stinky root), I'm afraid GV doesn't cut it anymore. The students are now the teachers. I'm afraid GV has become redundant. Somewhere, Monsieur Guerlain is rolling in his grave. Neutral rating due to it's originality and creation.

18 August, 2009

baldheadjim's avatar

Classy scent but not old or dated. Works well with my skin. Stays fresh on me even in the south Georgia heat!

16 August, 2009

jenson's avatar

India India

a pretty dynamic, harsh/gritty vetiver n tobacco combo presented in a very true form... for reference, Lubins Le Vetiver smells a lot like this one. however, this is not my type of scent...maybe itll grow on me in time...but for now, ill pass.

14 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2009)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Well folks, it's been a year since I last reviewed this well-loved classic and gave it a 'THUMBS DOWN'. I have recently revisited it to see if my feelings about it have changed expecially having smelled many vetiver scents over the past one year. Thank the fragrance gods - at last, I think I've finally got it!

So here's my final verdict:
    ................It smells like something that's been kept since the 1960s!

September 2009 review:

An award winning fragrance with many positive reviews. You can't possibly go wrong with this one, right? WRONG. This is a 'TRY BEFORE YOU BUY'. A nasty fecal note that refuses to budge after 2 hours sent me looking for some rubbing alcohol. I will probably try this again some time in the future. Just not over the next year or two.

13 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 October, 2010)

Redbeard's avatar

A few days ago I tried the pre-2000 version on one arm and the post-2000 on the other. The old version smelled sweeter and more richly expressive in the top, but then got very weak, leaving only a little smoky green behind. (The funny thing is, I don't remember it being so weak on the previous times I've worn it.) The new version was sharper and stronger for the whole duratino, with more sour citrus in the top, and a reedy smell which I was able to pick up all throughout the development. I've found this reediness in the bases of a few other summery frags and I quite like it; it makes me think of bamboo. It appeals to me more than the tobacco in the base of the old version. Overall, they're noticeably different scents, but I like them both. They both convey the same classical candid and clean virility even though they go about it differently. If the old one continues to be weak in the middle and base for me, however, then even its richer top will not win it my favor over the new one. Still, it could just be that my bottle of the old version has lost some of its kick over the years.

02 August, 2009

greystreet's avatar

Upon first spraying the cologne, I didn't really care for it. But, as it got to the drydown about an hour in, it is very nice and fresh. This is definitely a classic sent. I am having a hard time deciding between this and Creed's OV. I am a big Creed fan, as I LOVE Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, and of course Original Vetiver. Overall, I think I like the Geurlain better, strictly because it isn't as sweet on me as OV.

GREAT FRAGRANCE!

30th July, 2009

Hartman Design's avatar

Instant blind purchase regret. I figured it's such a classic, how could I go wrong? Smelled like burned rubber on my skin out of the bottle, drying down into an astringent "RAID" bug repellent odor -- as others on this forum have suggested -- that just never developed further. Long-lasting, I will say that! I tried a few times to get used to it, figuring that, as with other scents, it's an acquired taste. Sad to say, I never acquired it. Thumbs down.

24 July, 2009

azuresun's avatar

At first I wasn't a big fan of the opening, but it has grown me. The dry down smells fantastic, possibly one of the best things I have ever smelled. The scent really evolves on my skin and the silage is good, a little goes a long way for me. It lasts for hours, 6 hours easily, and I can still faintly smell it even after I wake up the next day. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy it, my wife simply just tolerates it. None the less, it is my personal favorite so far.

19 July, 2009

Sunsetspawn's avatar

There are plenty of reviews here that will do this more justice than mine. But if you're still reading, why not find out what I think?

This fragrance is a jack of all trades. It's refined and gentlemanly, yet casual and fun. It's summer, and winter. It just molds to you.
    Do you wear a three piece suit while overlooking the fiction stacks at an old library?
    Vetiver
    Do you write the scores for video games?
    Vetiver.
    Do you cruise for chicks in a Trans Am with the T-tops off?
    Vetiver
    Do you pass the Grey Popoun in a car worth more than most people's houses?
    Vetiver.

All of the harsh edges of vetiver have been smoothed out; you cannot go wrong here.

16 July, 2009

ferickson's avatar

it was my go-to for a year or so when it was first (re-)released, before being demoted by my now ex-girlfriend, who didn't much care for it. after trying to get back into it, i found it still evokes a rich freshness, if somewhat harsh at times, especially on hotter days (perhaps a bit synthetic, as some have noted). when the mood strikes, this still makes me happy. though i have not once gotten a compliment from a girl on this one, which is worth keeping in mind.

27 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 August, 2009)

archibald's avatar

One of my very few criticisms of Basenotes reviews is that there seems to be more than a few people who seem to go out of their way to pan every fragrance that features an accord they despise. Seems a little counterproductive to wage a private War on Vetiver, or Coffee or ISO E Super or whatever in the review section.

If you do like Vetiver, look no further than GV. I find the vetiver accords in both Racine and in Givenchy Vetiver reissue marginally better articulated, but GV has hands down my favorite drydown in all of perfumery, managing to actually deliver what the marketers 99% of contemporary masculines can only promise--a precise "balance of sensuality and freshness."

22 June, 2009

Ranger's avatar

This one took a few tries before I came to appreciate the scent of vetiver and to distinguish the other notes. At first all I got was soap. A few weeks later I tried it again, and the citrus and cedar arrived. The next time I wore this, it all came together. A very dry fragrance that I wear anytime, anywhere. Another scent that for the money makes some niche scents look positively overpriced.

17 June, 2009

xiikzodz's avatar

Starts with citrusy opening than harmonizes through the lemon with the vetiver notes. The vertical smoky, incense-like line always present is introduced to the citrus by neroli. It starts with nutmeg towards cedar, sage, myrrh slowly augments the tobacco notes which, transfer the fragrance from bitter and spicy vetiver to bittersweet one.

It seems the way to enjoy the fragrance is not to expect some vigorous follow up after the crispy opening. It is calmness that defines the smell. Green leaf, soil and sweetness of decay. Lemon-vetiver combination adds a soapy edge to this countryside experience.

The only con, in my opinion, Guerlain's Vetiver might not appeal to nostrils made of fiberglass mounted on some heuristically analytic component dismissing the scent for its geriatric quality.

Strongly recommended to people not afraid of occasional dirt under their finger nails.

08 June, 2009

MJW77's avatar

I have held back on reviewing Vetiver for a while now because I have gone through various emotions regarding the fragrance. I tested it and liked it, the fresh opening reminding me of cut grass on a summers day or clean linen hanging on a line. Then I began to get a little confused and doubtful about the drydown. I didn't think the drydown was unpleasant, I just questioned whether other people that might detect this fragrance on me would actually think I smelt nice. It was the tobacco and pepper notes. The thing was, if ever I put some on my wrist I kept wanting to smell it and did enjoy it. I was perhaps a little self conscious of what others would think. Having worn it a few times now though, I really don't care as I enjoy the fragrance immensely, and find that it gets better over time as it develops on my skin, and the 'guerlinade' of the tonka bean note becomes detectable. I would definitely recommend this fragrance and find myself wearing it a great deal. Thanks again to basenotes - I probably wouldn't have tried it otherwise!

22 May, 2009

Merlino's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

** This review is for the Vintage EDC **

Current formulation Vetiver EDT was one of the first fragrances I tried after discovering Basenotes. Not liking what I sniffed, I immediately dismissed it as smelly old man. Then my Guerlain craze and I was determined to try everything Guerlain. I don't know what happened, but when I tried it again I really, really liked it! So when a bottle of vintage EDC came up I decided to give it a try.

The fragrance opens with very nice and natural smelling top notes of citrus. I spilled some on my hands while decanting into an atomiser and it just smelled exactly like bergamot and lemon. Didn't quite pick up on the neroli though. The topnotes make way for the vetiver and tobacco, first fresh from the pepper then darker. Sadly, I don't get much wood although there's supposed to be cedar in. All the way through the fragrance there is a very green feeling which I attribute to the tonka bean.

Two things strike me about this version when compared to the current EDT. First off, it is somehow wetter and sweeter than the current version which is drier. This one also smells less of vetiver and more of moist tobacco. It's not better, just different. The other thing that strikes me is that seven hours into the fragrance I can still smell it on my skin which I think is incredible given that it's an EDC!

Vetiver, be it vintage or current, EDC or EDT, is an incredibly versatile scent which basically just works in any situation. The only thing is that the wearer has to somehow be adult enough to wear it since it's not suitable for adolescents.

21st May, 2009

Mapletop's avatar

I appreciate the blend of scents but this smells like something you would clean with.

19 May, 2009

htch21's avatar

If this one could talk and you like vetiver it would say Im ya huckleberry! This is good and there is no doubt about it seems to be a favorite of most I like this as well so count me in Guerlain impressed with them!

16 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2009)

Classix's avatar

My fragrance journey began only a few months ago but in this short time I've sampled quite a few -- everything at Sephora plus about 25 well-regarded classics and niche frags. I've found very few that I really like and initially I was inclined to dismiss GV as too old fashioned/old man but I could also appreciate something special about its zesty greenness so I've been retrying it every few days. Well, today there was just enough left in my sample vial for one more wearing and I'm happy to announce that I was finally able to thoroughly enjoy the experience. The timing is perfect because it's just starting to get warm here in Wisconsin. Looking forward to a GV summer!

14 May, 2009

sebitaseba90's avatar

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

I was very excited to try out this scent. Sadly, it smells like a high school mathematics teacher.

14 May, 2009

michau's avatar

Poland Poland

Guerlain Vetiver EDT, 2000 version

Distanced. Cold. Down to earth. Emotion-less.

Descgribing Guerlain Vetiver* I'd be a liar if I said I love it - I am as distanced to it as discanced is this scent. Though I can't imagine any other fragrance for daytime and formal wear. Calms me down, makes me feel serious and damn self-confident.
    I have just one concern: longevity.

Number one of my three/five Guerlain-second-skins (1. Vetiver/Coriolan - daytime, spring/summer, 2. Habit Rouge - fall, 3. Heritage/Mitsouko - special events.)

* Instead of Guerlain Vetiver this frag should be called Eau de Tabac, Hesperides et un peu de Vetiver - but it wouldn't sell as good as now, would it.

13 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 May, 2009)

Speed00kills's avatar

decillisjl I see what you mean. I have a spray sample of this I got from the perfumedcourt and was very excited to try it because of all the wear it gets around here. When I put it on my skin it smelled like a citronella candle. I don't know I guess it's just my skin chemistry that doesn't agree with it making it rather pungent and not very pleasant. Not bad just not for me obviously.

03 May, 2009

Lumpen's avatar

Turkey Turkey

A classic, but only for office use.

24 March, 2009

macgiles's avatar

I like everything about this product (the bottle, color juice and history) but the scent.

I loved the scent right out of the bottle but, after dry down, it was……I can’t put my finger on it other to say that it “bothered me”. I am so disappointed.

19 March, 2009