Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

decillisjl's avatar

oh how excited i was when a fellow bner shipped this to me... oh how disappointed i was after wearing it to a full day at work... i really love the vetiver out of the bottle, but there's something "off" with this on my skin... no i mean like off the bug repellant... wow rereading the scent profile just made me figure out why i don't love this... CORIANDER... i ran a mexican restaurant for five years and one of the best parts of the day was making salsa... the pungent yet fresh aroma of crushed cilantro always left a smile on my face, but cilantro on my skin is absolutely wretched... this is the reason that i was never able to really enjoy live jazz... it's so sad that something i love smelling so much in its natural form makes me so nauseated in its perfume form... oh well this will be another bottle up for swap... neutral rating because it is a very well made fragrance and i can see how it is so popular, but i will never be able to wear it

17 March, 2009

adonis's avatar

I really, really wanted to like this. The reviews were so good, and I made the mistake of buying without sampling. To me, it smells like the cement dentists mix up before they pack a tooth. Oh well, live and learn.

15 March, 2009

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Dusty lemon grassy smell. I don't like Guerlain Vetiver, because it's not fresh to me, it's dusty-fresh.

You can have the same vibe from Mugler Cologne, that is maybe a tad more synthetic smelling, but at least it's contemporary, which is not something I can say for Guerlain Vetiver.

12 March, 2009

Stephan's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Nice fragrance!
    But... no sillage and bad longevity.
    Is it the reformulation?

09 March, 2009

Justin Case's avatar

Too confrontational and unforgiving. I'd like to think of myself as a nice person. This doesn't say "nice".

25 February, 2009

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

For awhile very popular with some friends of mine. Many times I have been close to purchasing a bottle for myself but somehow I always pull back at the last moment (once because my wife dissed it as “a grandmother smell”.) Let’s say it’s a fragrance I admire but that just doesn’t fit me (I'm a Héritage man myself.) The tobacco note is the guilty party I think; suppressing like the smell of decaying plants (a bit like the lagoon they once used in the ad for the fragrance.) A classic nonetheless.

21st February, 2009

frug's avatar

Gaak. Smells to me like the vile antibacterial liquid in a hospital bathroom soap dispenser, with a heavy dose of RAID to improve the smell. Or to put it another way, like the aggregate odor of cleansers and insect sprays under a kitchen sink.

18 February, 2009

smith's avatar

Poland Poland

Given the fulsome praise heaped on this cologne over the years from otherwise highly reputable sources, I have given Guerlain's Vetiver every opportunity. I have tried it on numerous occasions, and inevitably it is dominated by ghastly powdery tones - the 'old lady' scent if you know what I mean. The result is unmanly while not even being womanly, either. On top are some high-pitched lime tones. All in all I have to say thanks, but no thanks. For some great green juice, try Sisley's Eau de Campagne instead.

16 February, 2009

citic's avatar

France France

Great looking botttle , feels good in ther hand , spraying citrus and then a nice dry down but i found it too light and after a few hours hard to smell , I sprayed twice on my arm and twice on my neck and kept sniffing my arm and just didnt get that wow factor that I have from other frags. Must be my skin type just doesnt shine for me, I am sure with the right skin type its great but sadly not for me

14 February, 2009

jekkah's avatar

Warm but fresh...I am a woman, but this is my preferred work scent. Not everyday for work, but on days when I need to feel super crisp and professional. Something about its crisp outdoorsy feel also makes me want to wear it for a fall hike and picnic. Great stuff on a woman or a man!

12 February, 2009

vcw's avatar

Fresh spinach sauteed with a bit of olive oil and lemon over an open fire. Clean and earthy at the same time. I like it. I am a bit surprised there's not more disagreement over this one given its, what I perceive to be, unique character. At around $50, I will buy.

04 February, 2009

classysmell's avatar

Very Citrusy. Nice smell to wear after a morning shower. It's very refreshing. Good to wear anytime.

02 February, 2009

chris8519's avatar

Clean, soapy/spicy scent that smells great for the price. Longevity is rather high, but starts to fade around 2 hours. A good night-out scent.
    I really want to love this scent, but it doesn't mix well with my skin (most green scents do, though). It leaves a "playdough" note when mixing with my skin.

Nonetheless, a thumbs up scent. This is THE definition of a man's scent. If only I could wear it!

Recommended, but sample first. I'm lucky I did.

01st February, 2009

ivan2057's avatar

Austria Austria

Unfortunaltely a one-dimensional GREEN, GREEN, totally GREEN !!!
    It is hard to believe that Vetiver acctually has top, middle and base notes
    because you only get an impression of one which again is green.
    That I'd find very poor even if it was a cheap scent not mentioning a frangrance coming from the house of Guerlain.

I really like green and that one ( and only ) part that Vetiver has reminds me a bit of Gucci Nobile but it simply isn't enough!!!

30th January, 2009

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Once you have experienced the distinctive "Guerlinade", the in-house olfactive signmark of Guerlain, you really want to feel it again and again. A lost world come into mind, the myth-of-the-man in the XX century at its very sunrise. We have to precise that Guerlain perfumes apart of more recent ones, are very conservative, well suited for the cultural French Emperor of last decades. They are out of the fragrances you usually find in a boutique, so at the beginning you are literally astonished, then you can love it. Guerlain Vetiver gives the subtle impression to leave you alone: it's vey, very cold, adn it responds to nordic, clean tastes, so fdifferent from the italian ones, more fashion orientedand in general, warmer. I wouldn't be surprised discovering Vetiver of Guerlain is mostly sold in continental, north Europe. It's uppermostly clean. The idea of perfume behind is terrible or marvellous. Coming now to the vetiver vibrations, since I like more dirty, mouldy and resonant vetivers, I prefer the vetiver from Guccy Envy. Probably at Guerlain were aimed to purify vetiver from earthy sentors, leaving only the smoky-ones. If the Guerlinade base has something of burlesque, excessive, between caricatural or extremely classy (not an easy, first sight love perfume), the vetiver stands -for me- too much delayed over other scents.

26 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2009)

Giorgio's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

At first this classic not seduces me too much...but the drydown...magic combination of vetiver, cedar and peppery notes where the tobacco one is simple sublime. A weareable and fascinating masculine fragance, traditional french school, A must have.

25 January, 2009

Ender's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Guerlain Vetiver. Easily one of the top five male scents of all time, even after it's infamous reformulations. But I swear that the day Guerlain decides to relaunch it in its former glory, I will throw away all my other colognes and wear only this till the end of my days.

21st January, 2009

charger's avatar

Clean, fresh, citrusy, this will always be a favorite. I love the soapy (in a good way) fresh out of a shower feeling.

18 January, 2009

abc1234's avatar

Absolutely fantastic! It is very difficult for me to describe the smell for lack of terminologies. It is clean, subdued, classy, no sweetness, pleasant, fresh, ... I didn't imagine such fragrance can exist!

Two thubms UP!

17 January, 2009

journeyman's avatar

A recent 're-discovery' (after having an unpleasant time with the Aftershave version previously).

Nothing makes me want to sniff my wrist so much as GV currently seems to.

The initial bone-dry Citrus blast, woody middle notes and that Earthy drydown, with a noticable tobacco - a dried tobacco leaf - pipe tobacco even - note. But it is not overpowering. At least not in the EDT (2000 formulation)
    There is a powdery, almost talc-ish note that lasts throughout.
    if you are sensitive to that note, it will be noticible, and I'd guess if you are not fond of that dry, but still sweet aspect, then it may not be of your liking. I love it.

Currently my 'new' everyday Fragrance.
    Its all been said before - not much i can add. Just wanted to give it a thumbs up.

I did however have a bottle of the Aftershave previously. Oh dear..
    The tobacco note seemed more prominent, and dried to a dreadful stale Body Odor stink on my skin at least..
    was vert pungent for an Aftershave also. It may actually be to someones taste as an alternative. its definitely different. But not for me.

So my thumbs up (two if I could) goes to the GV EDT

08 January, 2009

jamdox's avatar

I give guerlain's classic vetiver, the post-oakmoss-gate reformulated version, a thumbs-up, because it deserves it. Guerlain's vetiver is a very pleasant, well-balanced vetiver fragrance. But, perhaps as a psychological reaction to its overwhelming popularity, I don't get much from it. The earthiness of the vetiver is toned down, and the citrus notes are turned up, and I feel like it's trying too hard to please, to be unobjectionable and friendly, for my tastes.

03 January, 2009

reveillee's avatar

Very sharp scent. Fresh at first but this goes away quickly. May not be well liked for those used to the new boring generic colognes. Develops nicely with good sillage and longevity. I think I will have to buy a full bottle.

02 January, 2009

Gblue's avatar

What I love about Vetiver is that it contradicts itself.
    It opens with a crisp, clean and green citrus, then as it develops, is a wonderfully dirty, earthy, spiced vetiver. No musk - excellent.

01st January, 2009

hashmita's avatar

India India

Highly Sophisticated
    Much ahead of its time
    long lasting
    to witness the drydown in the evening you need to spray on yourself the previous night,such a long scent

31st December, 2008

SigloV's avatar

I wear this as business cologne - it somehow gives me a feeling of authority. I think that's because so many modern fragrances are sweet and cloying on the dry drown and either make the wearer appear metrosexual or like they have just emerged from the locker room.

The sharpness of this vetiver coupled with its spicey tobacco give this a clean cut sillage that doesn't resort to vanilla to make it palletable. In a world of McDonalds, Pepsi, KFC and Pizza Hut etc this EDT gives you a sugar free scent experience with sophistication and style without being dumbed down for the younger nose.

27 December, 2008

Bartlebooth's avatar

An air freshener for the soul. This is an adorable fragrance from the first sighting of the bottle to the brisk dry down that follows. In a few seconds I was transported to a woody glade surrounded by nymphs and elves gamboling playfully in the morning dew.....sorry.

Seriously, this is simply beautiful, a sublime creation that belongs in everyones collection. Wearing this in the summer will lift your spirits and freshen your outlook in an instant.It has decent sillage, longevity and is very sophisticated. I cannot commend this highly enough.

22 December, 2008

Heslipsa's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Interesting fragrance, so calm, so fluid. Remembers an afternoon with warm breeze, chess and apple tea. Yes, I found it, it remembers my grandmother. Sincerely, it feels like something my grandma could use. Not bad, but nothing manly.

01st December, 2008

cee-go's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

One of the best fragrances ever. Real classy, real for men.

12 November, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

Multiple personalities in this French classic: a crisp and bright fragrance that dries down to a woody, earthy vetiver and from there to a tobacco-rich, spicy goodness. (Whew! Talk about a ride!)

I do not care for the recent Guerlain re-formulation -- it lacks the "teeth" of the original and is, IMHO, a pale reflection of the same. Sadly, the vintage Guerlain is getting harder to find all the time, and more expensive. Nevertheless, I try to always keep a bottle of the original, vintage version in my collection. Always.

26 October, 2008

scentofascent's avatar

That is a good vetiver fragrance. Though i prefer Creed Vetiver. It smells much fresher.

22 October, 2008