Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Sporenburg's avatar
    Sporenburg
    Spain Spain

For awhile very popular with some friends of mine. Many times I have been close to purchasing a bottle for myself but somehow I always pull back at the last moment (once because my wife dissed it as “a grandmother smell”.) Let’s say it’s a fragrance I admire but that just doesn’t fit me (I'm a Héritage man myself.) The tobacco note is the guilty party I think; suppressing like the smell of decaying plants (a bit like the lagoon they once used in the ad for the fragrance.) A classic nonetheless.

21st February, 2009

frug's avatar
    frug

Gaak. Smells to me like the vile antibacterial liquid in a hospital bathroom soap dispenser, with a heavy dose of RAID to improve the smell. Or to put it another way, like the aggregate odor of cleansers and insect sprays under a kitchen sink.

18 February, 2009

smith's avatar
    smith
    Poland Poland

Given the fulsome praise heaped on this cologne over the years from otherwise highly reputable sources, I have given Guerlain's Vetiver every opportunity. I have tried it on numerous occasions, and inevitably it is dominated by ghastly powdery tones - the 'old lady' scent if you know what I mean. The result is unmanly while not even being womanly, either. On top are some high-pitched lime tones. All in all I have to say thanks, but no thanks. For some great green juice, try Sisley's Eau de Campagne instead.

16 February, 2009

citic's avatar
    citic
    France France

Great looking botttle , feels good in ther hand , spraying citrus and then a nice dry down but i found it too light and after a few hours hard to smell , I sprayed twice on my arm and twice on my neck and kept sniffing my arm and just didnt get that wow factor that I have from other frags. Must be my skin type just doesnt shine for me, I am sure with the right skin type its great but sadly not for me

14 February, 2009

jekkah's avatar
    jekkah

Warm but fresh...I am a woman, but this is my preferred work scent. Not everyday for work, but on days when I need to feel super crisp and professional. Something about its crisp outdoorsy feel also makes me want to wear it for a fall hike and picnic. Great stuff on a woman or a man!

12 February, 2009

vcw's avatar
    vcw

Fresh spinach sauteed with a bit of olive oil and lemon over an open fire. Clean and earthy at the same time. I like it. I am a bit surprised there's not more disagreement over this one given its, what I perceive to be, unique character. At around $50, I will buy.

04 February, 2009

classysmell's avatar
    classysmell

Very Citrusy. Nice smell to wear after a morning shower. It's very refreshing. Good to wear anytime.

02 February, 2009

chris8519's avatar
    chris8519

Clean, soapy/spicy scent that smells great for the price. Longevity is rather high, but starts to fade around 2 hours. A good night-out scent.
    I really want to love this scent, but it doesn't mix well with my skin (most green scents do, though). It leaves a "playdough" note when mixing with my skin.

Nonetheless, a thumbs up scent. This is THE definition of a man's scent. If only I could wear it!

Recommended, but sample first. I'm lucky I did.

01st February, 2009

ivan2057's avatar
    ivan2057
    Austria Austria

Unfortunaltely a one-dimensional GREEN, GREEN, totally GREEN !!!
    It is hard to believe that Vetiver acctually has top, middle and base notes
    because you only get an impression of one which again is green.
    That I'd find very poor even if it was a cheap scent not mentioning a frangrance coming from the house of Guerlain.

I really like green and that one ( and only ) part that Vetiver has reminds me a bit of Gucci Nobile but it simply isn't enough!!!

30th January, 2009

Corrado Finardi's avatar
    Corrado Finardi

Once you have experienced the distinctive "Guerlinade", the in-house olfactive signmark of Guerlain, you really want to feel it again and again. A lost world come into mind, the myth-of-the-man in the XX century at its very sunrise. We have to precise that Guerlain perfumes apart of more recent ones, are very conservative, well suited for the cultural French Emperor of last decades. They are out of the fragrances you usually find in a boutique, so at the beginning you are literally astonished, then you can love it. Guerlain Vetiver gives the subtle impression to leave you alone: it's vey, very cold, adn it responds to nordic, clean tastes, so fdifferent from the italian ones, more fashion orientedand in general, warmer. I wouldn't be surprised discovering Vetiver of Guerlain is mostly sold in continental, north Europe. It's uppermostly clean. The idea of perfume behind is terrible or marvellous. Coming now to the vetiver vibrations, since I like more dirty, mouldy and resonant vetivers, I prefer the vetiver from Guccy Envy. Probably at Guerlain were aimed to purify vetiver from earthy sentors, leaving only the smoky-ones. If the Guerlinade base has something of burlesque, excessive, between caricatural or extremely classy (not an easy, first sight love perfume), the vetiver stands -for me- too much delayed over other scents.

26 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2009)

Giorgio's avatar
    Giorgio
    Uruguay Uruguay

At first this classic not seduces me too much...but the drydown...magic combination of vetiver, cedar and peppery notes where the tobacco one is simple sublime. A weareable and fascinating masculine fragance, traditional french school, A must have.

25 January, 2009

Ender's avatar
    Ender
    Switzerland Switzerland

Guerlain Vetiver. Easily one of the top five male scents of all time, even after it's infamous reformulations. But I swear that the day Guerlain decides to relaunch it in its former glory, I will throw away all my other colognes and wear only this till the end of my days.

21st January, 2009

charger's avatar
    charger

Clean, fresh, citrusy, this will always be a favorite. I love the soapy (in a good way) fresh out of a shower feeling.

18 January, 2009

abc1234's avatar
    abc1234

Absolutely fantastic! It is very difficult for me to describe the smell for lack of terminologies. It is clean, subdued, classy, no sweetness, pleasant, fresh, ... I didn't imagine such fragrance can exist!

Two thubms UP!

17 January, 2009

journeyman's avatar
    journeyman

A recent 're-discovery' (after having an unpleasant time with the Aftershave version previously).

Nothing makes me want to sniff my wrist so much as GV currently seems to.

The initial bone-dry Citrus blast, woody middle notes and that Earthy drydown, with a noticable tobacco - a dried tobacco leaf - pipe tobacco even - note. But it is not overpowering. At least not in the EDT (2000 formulation)
    There is a powdery, almost talc-ish note that lasts throughout.
    if you are sensitive to that note, it will be noticible, and I'd guess if you are not fond of that dry, but still sweet aspect, then it may not be of your liking. I love it.

Currently my 'new' everyday Fragrance.
    Its all been said before - not much i can add. Just wanted to give it a thumbs up.

I did however have a bottle of the Aftershave previously. Oh dear..
    The tobacco note seemed more prominent, and dried to a dreadful stale Body Odor stink on my skin at least..
    was vert pungent for an Aftershave also. It may actually be to someones taste as an alternative. its definitely different. But not for me.

So my thumbs up (two if I could) goes to the GV EDT

08 January, 2009

jamdox's avatar
    jamdox

I give guerlain's classic vetiver, the post-oakmoss-gate reformulated version, a thumbs-up, because it deserves it. Guerlain's vetiver is a very pleasant, well-balanced vetiver fragrance. But, perhaps as a psychological reaction to its overwhelming popularity, I don't get much from it. The earthiness of the vetiver is toned down, and the citrus notes are turned up, and I feel like it's trying too hard to please, to be unobjectionable and friendly, for my tastes.

03 January, 2009

reveillee's avatar
    reveillee

Very sharp scent. Fresh at first but this goes away quickly. May not be well liked for those used to the new boring generic colognes. Develops nicely with good sillage and longevity. I think I will have to buy a full bottle.

02 January, 2009

Gblue's avatar
    Gblue

What I love about Vetiver is that it contradicts itself.
    It opens with a crisp, clean and green citrus, then as it develops, is a wonderfully dirty, earthy, spiced vetiver. No musk - excellent.

01st January, 2009

hashmita's avatar
    hashmita
    India India

Highly Sophisticated
    Much ahead of its time
    long lasting
    to witness the drydown in the evening you need to spray on yourself the previous night,such a long scent

31st December, 2008

SigloV's avatar
    SigloV

I wear this as business cologne - it somehow gives me a feeling of authority. I think that's because so many modern fragrances are sweet and cloying on the dry drown and either make the wearer appear metrosexual or like they have just emerged from the locker room.

The sharpness of this vetiver coupled with its spicey tobacco give this a clean cut sillage that doesn't resort to vanilla to make it palletable. In a world of McDonalds, Pepsi, KFC and Pizza Hut etc this EDT gives you a sugar free scent experience with sophistication and style without being dumbed down for the younger nose.

27 December, 2008

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

An air freshener for the soul. This is an adorable fragrance from the first sighting of the bottle to the brisk dry down that follows. In a few seconds I was transported to a woody glade surrounded by nymphs and elves gamboling playfully in the morning dew.....sorry.

Seriously, this is simply beautiful, a sublime creation that belongs in everyones collection. Wearing this in the summer will lift your spirits and freshen your outlook in an instant.It has decent sillage, longevity and is very sophisticated. I cannot commend this highly enough.

22 December, 2008

Heslipsa's avatar
    Heslipsa
    Brazil Brazil

Interesting fragrance, so calm, so fluid. Remembers an afternoon with warm breeze, chess and apple tea. Yes, I found it, it remembers my grandmother. Sincerely, it feels like something my grandma could use. Not bad, but nothing manly.

01st December, 2008

cee-go's avatar
    cee-go
    Slovakia Slovakia

One of the best fragrances ever. Real classy, real for men.

12 November, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Multiple personalities in this French classic: a crisp and bright fragrance that dries down to a woody, earthy vetiver and from there to a tobacco-rich, spicy goodness. (Whew! Talk about a ride!)

I do not care for the recent Guerlain re-formulation -- it lacks the "teeth" of the original and is, IMHO, a pale reflection of the same. Sadly, the vintage Guerlain is getting harder to find all the time, and more expensive. Nevertheless, I try to always keep a bottle of the original, vintage version in my collection. Always.

26 October, 2008

scentofascent's avatar
    scentofascent

That is a good vetiver fragrance. Though i prefer Creed Vetiver. It smells much fresher.

22 October, 2008

ProfessorPlum's avatar
    ProfessorPlum

I'm still something of a novice, though I do have a functional nose. Two words for this on my skin: Bug spray! Honestly, I half expected DEET to be on the ingredients list. This scent has a lot of admirers, so perhaps it's something particular to my skin, but please try before you buy.

22 October, 2008

Asha's avatar
    Asha

Guerlain Vetiver shootout

Left Arm: Vintage Guerlain Vetiver EDC
    Right Arm: Guerlain Vetiver EDT

I applied 2 good sprays of each. At first, they seemed equally strong, but the EDC had no detectable citrus, rather, it had a sort of burned sugar and caramel note at the top, and the vetiver was immediately apparent--dry, rooty and nutty. The EDT was a bright citrus blast, sweeter than I remembered the last time I wore it. To my nose, the lemon is the most prominent, but it is very well tempered by the other citrus notes so that it doesn't come off as an edible lemon or household cleaner. The citrus lasts for quite a while and is very pleasant. These are the main differences for the first 20-30 minutes--they basically smell like different fragrances, the EDC edging more into the vetiver while the sweet citrus develops in the EDT.

There is a point where they begin to intersect--the EDC vetiver note develops slowly, and the brulee note fades. Likewise, the EDT loses the citrus brightness and sweetness to reveal the drier grassy, dirty vegetal notes of the vetiver. When the top notes in both are gone, they smell identical to me in strength, sillage and quality of the vetiver. Vetiver in general is quite long lasting. I got some of the essential oil on my hands last week, and couldn't wash it off for more than one day, despite repeated hand washing, lotion applications and a shower. So, my expectation for any fragrance which has vetiver in it (if it is natural) is that the vetiver will last long and develop from the nutty, sweet, syrupy start to a dry, woody, smoky finish (if the vetiver is of similar origin). The two Guerlains behave pretty much in this way, except that the EDT is turning out to be longer lasting. It has been about 5 hours since I applied the two. The drydown of the EDC is barely there, except for a salty, slightly sweet and soapy scent. The EDT is still grassy, rooty, smoky and woody, except that it has faded quite a bit. In today's wearing of the EDT, I am not getting the extreme soapyness I had from the first time, but the spicy pepper is definitely there.

My impression of the EDC is that it is more about vetiver than anything else. The vetiver comes out right away, and dominates the fragrance throughout the development. The EDT has more distinct stages--citrus to vetiver to spicy/soapy. I suspect the shorter longevity of the EDC is due to its lower concentration. Of the two, I am not sure which one I prefer, but I think the EDC is more versatile. Plus, I get to enjoy the yummy parts of the vetiver with none of the bitter drydown that I sometimes get from the EDT.

19 October, 2008

mikey_p's avatar
    mikey_p

Why are Guerlain such liars? When I saw the new bottle perched on the shelf in the store I asked the Guerlain lady if the formula had changed. She said it hadn't, consistent with the official line from the big boys at the top. Whatever. This is Vetiver after a Jenny Jones makeover, clipped, tidied up and stripped of any appreciable character. On face value, its still rather good, but when compared to what it used to be I cant help feel as though this reformulation has been an awful mistake.

14 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 February, 2011)

Geekman1118's avatar
    Geekman1118

I was a bit hesitant to post a review on such a talked about scent.

I sampled it on a card and of course didnt like it.

Last week I sprayed some on my skin and got some in an atomizer to take home to try.

I was floored with everything that happened from the topnotes to the base on my skin. This is something that belongs on every man's wardrobe, regardless of age. It's probably one of the most perfectly balanced frags ive ever tried.

03 October, 2008

MFJ's avatar
    MFJ

I have probably worn this too often and grown a little bored of it. A great inoffensive workhorse scent. I believe this was my first vetiver scent, and getting to know it, allowed me to appreciate other less mainstream offerings like the briny Sel de Vetiver and the dry and dark Encre Noire. Still worthy of a place in my wardrobe.

30th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 September, 2009)