Positive Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

bart0117's avatar

South Korea South Korea

My favourite along with Nantucket Briar...

26 April, 2008

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

I'm still a bit new to the world of fragrance and this is my first review, so bear with me. Passed by the Guerlain section of Dillards and saw Vetiver and just HAD to try it after all I've heard from all the bn-ers. I got a spritz on the wrist and the moment I put it up to my nose to inhale I was transported back to my childhood. "THIS IS BABY COLOGNE" I told the SA, she just looked at me with a confused expression. (My mom used to get baby cologne from Spain, actually had a similar experience when I smelled "agua de sevilla" in Seville, Spain a few years back). This frag. was a trip down memory lane, going to buy a bottle soon!

02 April, 2008

Dolphins's avatar

Superbly formulated classic for today yeaterday on anyday still beats all these newer fragrances into the ground.

19 January, 2008

natacha's avatar

Elegant vetiver, but a little too much on the masculine side for me. However, a definite classic.

18 January, 2008

24jasper07's avatar

I first tried this a madrid airport and thought it was a bit differnt to most other "chin whiff".
    I think that it is one of the better vetivers and the after shave Gel is really nice too.

11th January, 2008

bokaba's avatar

Excellent. Just grass, lemon, and a little vanilla. Inoffensive and classy. Perfect for the office.

09 January, 2008

Atlas's avatar

Guerlain's "Vetiver" is definitely in my top ten. The first two or three times I wore it I was not quite sure what to think. Now it's one of the fragrances I like best (together with Chanel's "Pour Monsieur"). "Vetiver" is a great scent for the office, but it works just as well for a night out on the town. Works in the winter just like in the summer. When the weather it hot it brings out different aspects of the fragrance. A very masculine fragrance. Great vetiver, love the tobacco note too. The fragrance was launched 46 years ago yet it stands tall among today's fragrances. A must have!

13 December, 2007

paul's avatar

Wonderful stuff citrus, proper earthy vetiver, lasts well, all round every day stuff. I like it!

10th December, 2007 (Last Edited: 07 August, 2010)

toddchristy's avatar

At first reminds me of what my grandfather might've worn. Only if my gramps was much, much cooler. Evokes and old barbershop. Soapy/clean and green. Most say it's a warm-weather fragrance, but I find it great year round. Def. day time, however. An adult scent, for sure.

07 December, 2007

garymoore's avatar

I got this after reading the mostly positive reviews although it was a blind buy. I must admit that initially I found it to smell like something a more "mature" individual. After letting it dry down though, I really enjoyed it. A definite warm weather scent though.

30th November, 2007

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

(New Version)
    Wow, very impressed.
    The hot spice and sweet spice, and green roots blend so well together it smells like a single scent.
    Like the better cousin to cloves.
    And just enough citrus and sweetness, not too much.
    My favorite of all the Vetiver colognes by a wide Margin.

28 November, 2007

Islandwriter's avatar

Love this stuff. Highly recc'd. Fast drydown, and it seems to get better and better afterwards.

23 November, 2007

jude_c's avatar

Big time scent here by this legendary design house. I love this stuff, the best guerlain out there. The best vetiver out there. Complex, sophisticated, classic, perfect. In my top 7 of all time.

04 November, 2007

Mr. G's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Jean-Paul Guerlain was the first (and last) family member to create several fragrances for men, and Vetiver was his first masculine creation. Ever since the company's great cologne period, Guerlain hadn't created another men's fragrance except Mouchoir de Monsieur and Jicky. Vetiver filled this gap. In fact, Vetiver was first created for Mexico, one of the biggest consumers of Guerlain's 'Vetiver extract', but in 1958, Carven's vetiver scent became a threatening presence on the market, and director Jean-Pierre Guerlain wanted it modernized. It became a job for his 22 year old nephew Jean-Paul, who let himself be inspired by 'the smell of a gardener' - tobacco and earth. It was launched in 1959, and its spicy earthy-freshness deriving from the Indian vetiver grass root proved to be an instant success. The fragrance is from the outset dominated by a distinctive, slightly bitter nutmeg note that is considered uniquely delightful by fans, a bit harsh and 'medicinal' by some others, but the scent rounds itself upon wearing and ends in a surprising, sweet tobacco note. Although Guerlain maintains that the composition of Vetiver has not been changed during the years, most Vetiver-lovers are convinced that it has been made brighter, fresher and less 'earthy' in the current edition. It's still up for debate, though, if the oldest edition's earthiness and darkness is only due to ageing of the fragrant juice. In 2000, Vetiver was launched with a modern bottle, juice color, packaging and advertising, and it's still a favorite among many men. Recently, several modern variations on the Vetiver-theme has been launched, like the spiced up Vetiver Extrême with added vetiver root, tarragon, licorice and smoky frankincense, and the more tender and flowery Vetiver pour Elle.

26 October, 2007 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2008)

dmc27855's avatar

Bought a bottle (EDT) 3 weeks ago having read reviews and sampled on a card. My first thoughts were "If I put it on eBay now should get a good price", it just seemed too overpowering, my wife hated it, "Too soapy" is all she could smell.

Was going to give up and sell it on eBay but decided to keep trying and cut back on the spraying. Now I "mist" 2-3 light presses (2 neck, one to wrists), I find myself really liking it. Sillage is good, and it lasts all day. My wife still doesn't care for it but I find it pleasant and calming.

As an ex smoker (6 months) I have taken up fragrance as a hobby and use it for my own pleasure and aromatherapy rather than for how I smell to others. Guerlain Vetiver is an example of a fragrance which treated in moderation hits all the right notes but which in excess can smell truly awful.

09 July, 2007

theLateDoctor's avatar

I am a very recent convert to the wonders of the bottled scent, and the gorgeous green Guerlain was my very first purchase. Apparently I take well to the Vetiver, because I love this stuff... And the hotter it gets outside, the more I love it. L-O-V-E it.

07 July, 2007

LiveJazz's avatar

[Edit 10-2011: All is forgiven. My nose has apparently evolved. This scent is beautiful. Just bought a big bottle of it. It's a true pleasure to wear, and a great example of a fresh scent done right.]

I've had my decant of it for close to a year now. Every time I select it as my SotD, I'm a little excited because I think that THIS will be the day that Guerlain Vetiver (new formulation) finally clicks for me. Alas, it has never happened. Which is odd because I like vetiver, and I like citrus.

The dealbreakers for me are the nutmeg note and the strong tobacco note. I already knew that I didn't like these notes when I decided to give this scent a try, but I thought that since they're basically supporting notes in the generally terrific cast, I could deal with it. But no, the suffocating tobacco and noxious nutmeg hijack the accords and ruin the whole thing for me. It's like watching an amazing movie in a theater and knowing that it's an amsolute masterwork, but the sound is slightly off and there projector is making a big blotch in the corner of the screen. You just can't appreciate it anymore.

If you like vetiver but are not fond of the heavier notes that Vetiver makes use of, I suggest something like CdG's Vettiveru, Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, or Creed's Original Vetiver. These are "brighter" rentitions of this theme, and work much better on me.

All that said, I can't give this a thumbs down. The evolution is too perfect, the balance of the notes too impressive, the sillage just right. No, I don't like it for myself, but it is certainly a noteworthy blend.

28 June, 2007 (Last Edited: 28 October, 2011)

Niles's avatar

This is such an amazing fragrance. I am a late-comer to this classic, but I'm so glad I tried it. Vetiver is a note that I had to take some time to learn to appreciate. This stuff is so sophisticated and able to go anywhere you want. Great stuff!

03 June, 2007

RichmondR's avatar

A genuine classic which definitely still has a place in any guy's wardrobe. Fresh, invigorating and citrusy turning to a peppery, very masculine, base. If you are tired of smelling the latest slightly sweet, fruity, powdery, etc., etc. designer fragrence, return to this classic scent from one of the worlds great houses. To paraphrase another poster, be a man -- get a bottle!

30th April, 2007

tonton's avatar

Lebanon Lebanon

THE BEST GUERLAIN SCENT IN MY OPINION.
    PERFECT FOR A HOT SUNNY DAY.LONG LASTING.LOVELY COMBINATION BETWEEN THE VETIVER NOTE AND THE TOBACCO ONE WICH IS BETTER REVEALED WHEN THE TEMPERATURE IS HIGH.

22 April, 2007

benb's avatar

I have just bought this one. It is a very naturell smelling scent. The bottle is one of the most beautiful ones that I have seen. I really appriciate this one. Especially the wonderful tobacco drydown. As always I do think it could be a little stronger. I recommend it anyway. It is a good scent.
    benb

02 April, 2007

germanomio's avatar

France France

the formula was obviously modified
    but what made this fragrance so unique is still perceptible in an attenuated way...even with this change Vetiver remains IMO the greatest masculine fragrance I've ever smelled; a rough unsweet fragrance, perfect in any situation, complex and rich...the fragrance that I'll wear all life long

14 March, 2007

Dave_D's avatar

Another classic scent, a go to for the summer. I didnt much care for VG at first and gave a vintage bottle away. Sometime later I gave it another shot and it clicked. The new version smells lighter and tamer to me, less longevity as well, still nice. My preference runs to the classic version which is full bodied but still warm weather wear.

21st February, 2007

's avatar

I let Vetitvers by Guerlin, Creed & Jo Malone dry down on my skin and bake in the sun and dry in salt sweat. If I'm outside all day then it's reasonable. Only Guerlin's captivated me. There wasn't anything pretty in there, maybe even dirty? Not interested in getting compliments, but I do feel that confidence that was alluded to below. It's a standard for me now.

19 December, 2006

Lynn Faust's avatar

I have read many posts on basenotes and vetiver was a reoccoring theme. i went out to try it. i drove an hour and a half to a bloomingdales and tried it out.
    i first sprayed the card. I kept smelling the card nad after a while thought this one is wrist worthy. At first, it is citrusy. I was looking for soapy. I didn;t really get that, but vetiver quickly lost the citrus smell and i could smell the vetiver (faintly) and spices. Maybe the coriander, perhaps the nutmeg.
    in the end it leaves a spicy-clean smell on my skin. i don't have any fragrances that do that. I bought a bottle online ( much cheaper that bloomingdales) and i have worn it for about a week. i haven't received any compliments yet, but i like the originaliy of the smell and i think it will do just fine in my fragrance rotation.
    unfortunately, it doe not last long on my skin (to me), but if i wash my hands, or rewet the fragrance in some way, it pops back to life.

02 December, 2006

rentboy's avatar

Can't believe this one gets so many bad reviews. While it's a very different sort of smelling fragrance from what I grew up thinking a "cologne" was, the clean and soothing vetiver is carried on nice cool green notes of citrus, lime in particular (to my nose). I don't get much cedar out of this - but the drydown of tobacco and spicy peppers is probably my favorite thing about it. No surprise that it's another classic from Guerlain - along with Heritage and Habit Rouge have what I consider the "holy trinity" of fragrance. What does surprise me is how many compliments I get wearing this fragrance.

09 November, 2006

Zachary's avatar

I bought what must have been a tester of the original Guerlain Vetiver EDT about 10 years ago. The bottle has the rectangular green sticker on the front, and clear stickers on the sides detailing the fragrance: Vetiver, Spices, Woody. This is the first good fragrance I bought, and I've loved it, so this note is more of a sentimental one than objectively critical. It seems to be a very simple, well made fragrance - it's definitely got a huge vetiver aroma, but it's made juicy with lime and spicy with cedar. It's a warm scent, without a lot of unnecessary things to get in the way of the high quality ingredients. It has good sillage and longevity on my skin, usually lasting 6-8 hours. The interesting part about this is the drydown - a lesser fragrance would feel the need to have all sorts of powdery/sweet notes on the bottom of this, but not Vetiver - it remains spicy and green, with the lime topnote going away over half an hour to reveal beautiful vetiver and cedar. It's a great manly fragrance, one that inspires confidence whenever I wear it.

26 October, 2006

misspring's avatar

Vetiver and I go back a long way. I enjoy wearing it in cold weather, as it is a very warm, peppery scent that is refreshing at the same time. I began buying it for my man, and of course, I steal his whenever I am wool-shirt casual. It smells SO good on him, it is manly, sensual, sexy, (refined and rugged at the same time) Nice sillage... it floats off the skin.
    Try it in weather when you are craving warmth. If you try this on a sweltering summer night, you may not care for it at all.
    The coriander and tobacco notes work some kind of magic together ... very manly, ( but I like it too. )

13 October, 2006

gkinsky's avatar

I agree with a previous reviewer's comment that this is not a "modern" fragrance and should be judged in that context. This is an extremely masculine fragrance that has a strong, spicy, and earthy base that remains potent for hours and hours. It's such a unique scent, that I save it for special evenings out on the town. One thing to keep in mind, I've had my bottle for a few years, and the juice seems to "sour" after a few years.

13 September, 2006

randumbsmellyguy's avatar

An ideal summer fragrance, can't wait to try it in the winter too.

As others have said, particularly great on really hot, humid days. The citrus fades fast (not exactly news), but the vetiver/tobacco/cedar accord soldiers on and on and onward still in fine fashion.

A very natural smell with great sillage whose greatest asset apart from its actual smell is its aggression - the vetiver possesses a real edge particularly within the first hour or so in combo w/the citrus. Sharper than a sushi chef's knife, this stuff can cut through a fog of synthetic freshness unlike anything I've yet tried. Synthetic freshness has its place as well, but with this in the same room on the right person there is no competition:-)

Never had the pleasure of trying the original, but somehow I'm not too depressed as there are so many other vetivers I hope to try soon. Starting with such a classic may have boosted my expectations a bit though - rest assured I will find out.

A new essential edition to my wardrobe. May it remain in production for all time.

27 August, 2006