Positive Reviews of Vetiver by Guerlain

Find out more about Vetiver by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

This is a phenomonal composition. The balance is perfect. It is not a modern perfume though, and this needs to be remembered when assessing it.

I have taken a long time to make my assessment on this though, as there are some notes in here which smell quite synthetic to me.

However, I just wore it for a week solid while on holiday and observed that when worn outside, it smells really natural; the silage reminds me of summer vegetation.

So my conclusion is this: from close up and indoors it smells good but there is a synthetic edge to it which puts me off slightly. Outdoors and from a distance it smells utterly natural and amazing. The "fresh" note especially seems to take on a natural character, it reminds me of the herb lemon balm.

The vetiver is earthy and masculine and the tobacco rich drydown is very good.

My only other reservation is that it endures too well. It seems shower proof to the extent that I can't change my fragrance on a day when I wear this and sometimes it persists after a night and a morning shower.

Overall it is a classic and i recommend it as a purchase.

07th August, 2006

Joe_Frances's avatar

Vetiver, nutmeg and tobacco-- a beautiful melody of earthy smells that in this composition are fresh and subtly masculine. A classic beauty.

05th August, 2006

Skip Savage's avatar

Possibly the most tenacious fragance I own. The only scent to be there in the morning after a full day before.

A strikingly organic, pure, ethereal creation from the early days of men's fragrances. The vast majority of men in 1961 did not wear eau de toilette. Drugstore aftershave, like Old Spice or Aqua Velva, was the acceptable scent for a man. Even underarm deodorant was uncommon. Kennedy was in the White House, the Beatles were at the Cavern Club, and the world was not yet ready for sissy-smelling men. In that context, Guerlain Vetiver had to be beyond reproach.

Try this pioneering groundbreaker. It is fresh, delightful, natural, and beautiful. And different.

Vetiver was known in ancient times as the oil of tranquility. Ahhh...

26th July, 2006

Derawk's avatar

Best saved for sweltering hot days(70F+ is sweltering), this is the freshest vetiver with an excellent balance of it's ingredients. On the colder days, the smell of vetiver grass is all you may notice, and vetiver is an acquired taste of smell. The hot days are limited to a couple months up here, so my big inexpensive bottle will probably last a few years. Though if I moved south, then it would certainly dissipate much quicker... as I'd be a vetiver junky.

25th June, 2006

deepthought's avatar

An invigorating blend of earthy tones and citrus headiness.
    Lasts forever and smells great from all the way through it's life-cycle.

08th June, 2006

k_chandrashekar's avatar

The earthy and irrepressible individuality of Vetiver is here smoothened and rendered irresistibly wearable in an exhibition of genius.
    Robustly nonconformist, yet exquisitely refined and tasteful, this classically fashionable scent is one of those rarest of rare creatures: a Masterpiece.

04th June, 2006

Nikolas@_'s avatar

Hello all, my first review here although I visit reguraly this site for 2 years and have tried many fragrances based on what I read here. one of them was Vetiver. After reading so many good reviews I tried it on a duty-free airport shop and I liked it a lot... I don't know what the original smelt like, but this one is very good. I excpected it to be more crisp, but I think its great anyway! Its longlasting and its drydown brings out the tobacco, which as a non smoker I dont mind at all...

I usually wear it at work, although it can be easily worn on evening-formal occasions...

10th May, 2006

Markymark's avatar

I absolutely love this unique fragrance. It was my first purchase when I became a member here -- in fact, I purchased it blind and have no regrets at all. It is greater in warmer temps as the vetiver opens up more and makes it more fresh smelling. In the cooler temps, it's more smokey with the tobacco note. I prefer wearing it in the warmer temps. But, I honestly envision heaven to smell like this frag - fresh, earthy and organic. I often times even wear it to bed. GV is a winner that sits really well on my skin giving me awesome longevity - more than any other fragrance and never cloying. Being it is so unique, I would suggest testing first. I got lucky buying it blind. There's nothing at the local mall/department store IMO that smells like this very fine fragrance.

07th May, 2006

zztopp's avatar

I have been wearing Guerlain Vetiver (GV) for over an year now, and its strange that I haven't reviewed it yet. It's probably because I have been enjoying this fragrance so much that whenever I put it on, it imposes on me a feeling of calm, its earthy yet tranquil vetiver note intoxicating in its expert realization in this manly potion.

Wearing GV is like having a knowledgeable and friendly tutor help you accomplish a task which absolutely has to be done. In this case, the task would be to familiarize oneself with the vetiver note, a note which many find too pungent and ghastly for their taste. GV makes the note apparent from the very beginning - BUT, like a good tutor/teacher, it eases you in by flanking the note with crisp citrus notes. The top construction eases you in - from there, GV evolves to a more rich and heavy base of tobacco and vetiver. During intense summers, the tobacco note may become more pronounced and might even be offputting to some - to be fair, in the reformulated Vetiver the tobacco note is a bit synthetic. I find that if applied evenly using no more than 3 sprays, the notes flow better. Longevity and sillage are near perfect.

GV is ultimately one of the easier introductions to vetiver. Some may prefer Creed's Original Vetiver (an excellent offering itself), but it comes at a price...no, I am not talking about the less intense vetiver note, I was hinting at the $195 price tag. If you are willing to venture out of Original Vetiver's protective cocoon, GV will be an excellent choice. Its easy on the wallet, and a top tier fragrance to boot. Citrus, grassy, with a base of tobacco. JP Guerlain created this when he was 22 years of age .. a hell of an accomplishment that. Be a man, take the plunge.

Rating: 8.25/10

06th April, 2006 (Last Edited: 23rd August, 2009)

fearful_symmetry's avatar

Guerlain makes the best vetiver. It's not a loud smell at all, very unobtrusive. Surprisingly complicated scent with many nuances. Vetiver, cedar, tobacco, nutmeg, pepper, and lemon are all prominent notes, while the others can be picked out with a little effort. The notes combine very softly and harmoniously with each other and never at any point mix akwardly. Dry down is great. Could last a little longer but really that's nitpicking just apply a little more and your fine...

25th February, 2006

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

I'll keep it short and sweet:
    The one and only. A sin to wear it to work, unless you love your job. This one is freedom personified. Uplifting and cheerful. My favorite of all the vetivers.

24th February, 2006 (Last Edited: 19th June, 2009)

kmfdm10392's avatar

A real classic and one of Guerlain's finest men's fragrances. The tobacco and cedar are quite distinctive and really grab me. The pepper is very sharp, and incredibly masculine. This lasts all day on my skin, it stands out in a sea of samey fragrances, and the bottle ( not to mention the color of the juice itself ) is beautiful.

14th February, 2006

Joe's avatar

The nicest Vetiver Fragrance of all! Really great!
    I love it. The reactions of other people are quite complex... some people hate it, and say that it is terrible! Mothballs and things like that!!! But there are also people who fall instantly in love with that Fragrance... Well I LOVE IT!

15th January, 2006

Squeezeweasel's avatar

A rootsy, earthy vetiver with a citrus breath of a topnote which mellows to soft, comfortable grasses. Glorious - my favourite vetiver.

14th January, 2006

Christoph_Georg's avatar

Oh yeah, thats a mans cologne!!! Fresh, citrus, vetiver, yummy hmmm....Still classic though, has a great personality, nothing like most of the new scents which often smell like they want to satisfy everyones taste. It has its own style so some will like it and some won't. Guerlain was very clever to relaunch it instead of discontinueing it like so many others do. They believed in their product and did very well. I would say that this is a scent for men above 30 though. Some of the views also suggested that girls could and do wear it too for fun. I must say, I like that idea!

10th January, 2006

womble's avatar

Superb scent from the rush of lemon with tobacco,
    to the earthy dry down. Then I get a curious sweetness not constant or strong just very mild,comes and goes, did`nt think I would take to the earthy smell but love it.Very glad I got this one

01st January, 2006

leopoldo's avatar

Spiky, sharp, varied and refreshing. A great spring and summer addition to any fragrance wardrobe, even if you don't like vetiver.

14th December, 2005

Lyman's avatar

[insert moan of delight] What a soft, foggy, sweet, tasteful, comforting scent. There's something satisfying about a scent that's so complete, like a correct mathematical formula, with a self-evident, satisfying integrity. (And the color is beautiful, and so is the bottle!)

02nd December, 2005

Liquidman's avatar

It is my first aroma Vetiver I it has got in relaunched versions.. After I could find earlier version of this aroma and have been pleasantly surprised as it has appeared more interesting though I shall not hide the new version to me too has liked, but it very rectilinear one-sided, in it is not present that softness and dimensions . Sparkling, the bergamot, is a little tobacco, hints of spices and at last wonderful Vetiver all it very much does not get to new aroma. Great Guerlain have gone on a simple way and have changed this wonderful aroma.

29th November, 2005

madgradrx's avatar

I know it's not a niche, but this is my favorite vetiver. I love how the tobacco and vetiver blend to give a rich, earthy accord that borders on gothic, not something I expected.

07th November, 2005

RitaMae's avatar

It's so delicious a fragrance that when I run out of my own bottle, I borrow my boyfriend's. Has much more substance than Dior's "Eau Savage."I love the way it changes on your skin every few seconds. It heats up when you're flushed & you can really smells the woods & spice, then it cools off in the shade and you get the bergamot, citrus & herbs. A great fragrance for either sex, and expecially delightful to wear on a hot summer day.

01st November, 2005

emad's avatar

Iran Iran

classic it is , i like most of guerlain line and vetiver is one of my fav , try vetiver frozen for summer its fresher and younger

05th October, 2005

levente's avatar

Allow me to weigh in on the controversy regarding the change in formula. Did Guerlain change the formula? Of course they did! The newer one has more citrus, and the notes have been technicolored. Now, the pepper, tobacco and cedar explode off the skin, whereas the older formula is a smoother blend. But the new one is nevertheless great. Complex, bracing and constantly developing (my father, who is no connoisseur, told me that GV keeps changing on his skin throughout the day), JP Guerlain's great masterpiece continues to entice. Notice to Guerlain: bring back the original as "Vetiver Classic" and most fans of this fragrance would own both!

29th September, 2005

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Never been a vetiver fan and this rendition is no exception. Still I really appreciate this classic blend, just not on my own skin. Green, grassy and lemony opening, maybe a hint of coconut as well? It progresses through the typical vetiver, slightly bitter and soilish - this is the part I can't stand. But the tobacco/tonka base significantly mellows it out leaving a very nice finish. Not for me but I won't diss it either, it's just too darn classic. Would put it next to Eau Sauvage in terms of timeless appeal.

25th September, 2005

IPaidForThisName's avatar

Guerlains Vetiver is a classic. A beautiful fragrance. It’s really too bad it was reformulated recently. The new formulation makes Guerlain Vetiver seem like Guerlains Citrus with a hint of Vetiver. Vetiver is a nice gentlemanly fragrance. The citrus isn’t quite as sparkling or fresh as it is on many other Vetiver interpretations like Racine and VE. It’s a classic staple that most people should own or have at least tried.

19th September, 2005

bakhmet's avatar

Took a risk with this one and bought it over the internet based on curiousity. I'm glad I did, because I love this one. It's simple, fresh and feels like I can wear it anytime of day, for any season. Also, great to wear to work. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and this really seems to be an "appropriate" fragrance for the area. Very green.

08th September, 2005

R's avatar

If you get the right "batch" its a great scent. Beautiful green "grass" notes melded with tobacco notes

06th September, 2005 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2009)

dynamicddanny's avatar

I enjoy Guerlain's Vetiver, but have not had the luck to try the original version. Well, they say ignornace is bliss, and I do like the current rendition. Vetiver is my go-to work, meeting, business fragrance. Vetiver is not casual but not formal, it makes an impression without being obtuse. Like many scents it begins citrusy, and quickly becomes green, earthy and dry. I like Vetiver the most in hot weather-- it seems to become even dirtier and woodier.

10th August, 2005

JP1's avatar

man, this is the stuff. i call it pimp juice because whenever I wear it all the ladies go mad! anyone who says different is lying

23rd July, 2005

deaconford's avatar

Noble,elegant , and just downright gooood,this is some awesome smelling juice .Many compliments when i wear this one.

11th November, 2004