Reviews of Vétiver by Creed

Find out more about Vétiver by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ClassicFan's avatar

The opening is very recognizable per Creed with that ambergris and bergamot. The ginger is very strong and mixes well with the cedarwood. Ironically the vetiver is the lightest note.

23rd November, 2014

Cologniano's avatar

I kid you not. I wore this today for the first time in many years. A female coworker at the office referred to me as the one who smells like a million bucks.
    It's crisp and comforting. I applied 4 sprays at 9am and here it is 6pm and still wafting....

15th July, 2014

Unvisible's avatar

Excellent. I missed out on this one, but managed to obtain a bottle from the perfumed court.

It is very mossy and green. A carbonated mahogany-like wood with moss and carbonated water. It's really too bad it is discontinued.

05th July, 2014

worthy_sam's avatar

Smells like a harsh, synthetic laundry detergent. Don't understand the suave appeal. Nowhere close to Guerlain Vetiver or Givenchy Vetyver. Even Creed's Original Vetiver smells so much better.

12th June, 2014

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Vetiver from the old school

Unlike the more gender-neutral and contemporary-styled Original Vetiver, Creed's 1948 Vétiver's drier take puts it closer to old school masculine territory with its fresh almost soapy grassy-green vetiver over a lightly mossy base. No amber, cedar or ginger as far as my nose can tell so if anyone care to sample it do feel free to ignore the listed notes. I think it is perfect for a gentleman, but can be a little unforgiving for youngsters especially with its slightly musty vibe.

Pros: Mature and gentlemanly
    Cons: Not as versatile as OV"

26th September, 2013

bejahu's avatar

An high-quality, very mature, smooth, creamy vetiver. The scent projects an aura of confidence and elegance. Vetiver (1948) is masculine, refined, and extremely well blended. All the notes work perfectly together - there are no rough edges. The longevity is about 4 hours on skin and much longer on clothing. The beauty of this fragrance is its subtleness and restraint. Its limited projection makes it perfect for an important business meeting.

It is light years away from Creed's Original Vetiver, which, although also excellent, is fresh, citrusy, clean, and very soapy. The soapiness of Vetiver (1948) is of the traditional, barbershop variety.

Vetiver (1948) has a very classic vibe: one that I would associate with a suave and exceptionally well-groomed gentleman. If you can find it, buy it. Two thumbs up.

03rd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 06th August, 2012)

Marais's avatar

A natural-smelling, grassy vetiver, well-blended with citrus and bergamot, giving it a classical barbershop flavour. No trace of nose-wrinkling rootiness here. The lightly-applied ginger adds a touch of fizz and sparkle. Very clean-shaven & 'Mad Men'-esque; some might find it a little dated in style. I love it. Longevity: it behaves much like an EdC; 4 hours on skin, considerably longer on cloth.

18th July, 2012

rbaker's avatar

Immediately a clean and green vetiver is noticeable, that is virtually immediately joined by ginger and floral notes, the latter gaining prominence over time, admixed with a soapy tone that on me stays well in the background. A straightforward scent, that impresses by its fresh directness whilst always subtle and restrained. Is stays close to my skin, with a longevity of about two hours, longer on clothes. A shame it has been discontinued, as its rarity precludes the reapplications that would be needed to enjoy it throughout the day. Overall a very nice creation, that I find preferable to the newer OV.

13th March, 2012

Redbeard's avatar

The unsung vetiver: everyone mourns its passing but it always seems strange to me. Initially it makes me think of Mugler Cologne or Original Vetiver with added soft florals and a cold slab of stone underneath. The florals (rose?) soon start to compete more seriously with the granite slab, and I feel like the green component from that south Indian grassy plant (what's that stuff called again?) gets forgotten about in the fray. It doesn't have the smoothness or moistness of a Gendarme scent, but the inclusion of very clean florals reminds me a bit of that line. I'm not sure what it's trying to accomplish at this point, but being vetivery doesn't seem high on the list. By the late mid notes, the florals have somehow been replaced with leafy herbs, so at least we've returned to the green territory that I was expecting, but it's just too resinous and not grassy enough. Still, it's a perfectly usable green scent as long as you don't need it to smell like the legions of vetiver-specific fragrances.

04th February, 2012

Mike's avatar

This is definitely one of the most 'off the beaten path' Creeds (in the sense that very few people own it or discuss it), but make no mistake...Vetiver is one of the most versatile, masculine, classic, and refined of all Creeds. In my opinion, it is not as soapy as the much newer Original Vetiver, and definitely this one is a different fragrance altogether. While the popular Original Vetiver is a very green-oriented fragrance, this Vetiver is much less green, but extremely well-blended and rounded. Perhaps more interestingly, it is firmly rooted in the style of a mossy/chypre fragrance, although from the listed notes this may come as a surprise. As others have mentioned, neither of Creed's vetiver fragrances are heavily reliant on the ingredient of vetiver itself. This makes the names somewhat misleading. Nonetheless, this is a wonderfully clean and uplifting scent, with a barbershop-esque quality to it. It hearkens back to a time long past, and it is certainly one of the most versatile Creeds in terms of the number of different occasions it could be utilized for. In fact, it could be argued that this Vetiver ties with GIT as being perhaps the most versatile of all Creeds. Never overbearing, and classically debonair in a subtle and unassuming way. It is no wonder that this was a favorite of JFK!

30th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th June, 2011)

Francesco's avatar

I bought Vetiver 2 weeks ago.......what can I say!?! The best Vetiver ever!!
    Love this scent! Very fresh and clean!
    In my top five!

04th April, 2011

The Masked Armpit's avatar

Very soapy vetiver which is nice till the middle and it falls apart mustily. OV is by far fresher and a better vetiver from Creed.

17th July, 2010

DavidBond007's avatar

This one is superior to the new vetiver Creed has and it is cheaper. What more can you ask for. This is the vetiver to end all vetivers. Very fresh, clean and mature scent. Cannot go wrong for everyday wear.

25th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th May, 2010)

JaimeB's avatar

One of the classic male Creeds. Vastly better than the soi-disant Original Vetiver of more recent days. There is a chypre aspect to this that makes me suspect some mossy stuff in the base note that doesn't get listed in the usual pyramids one sees. I like to wear this in bright weather, even if it's cool out. It's the kind of coldish scent that seems to thrive in its own element. Smooth, debonair, yet rather unassuming — no need to try to impress, and no worries that one isn't making a good impression, if you know what I mean...

11th March, 2010

shamu1's avatar

A vetiver for people who don't like vetiver. Although I really do like Creed's Vetiver, for the life of me I cannot detect the presence of any vetiver in this. Maybe it's blended so well with some of the other notes that I just can't smell it, but aren't fragrances with the word "Vetiver" in their titles supposed to have a prominent vetiver note?

Anyway, vetiver void aside, I think this is a very interesting scent, one which takes me back in time. Although The_Good_Life did not like this scent, I do find his descriptions very much in line with what I smell in Creed's Vetiver. Yes, this does have a very old-fashioned vibe to it, with a smell that reminds me of a barbershop from a very long time ago, where the leather on the chairs is so old it's started to crack, and the spilled talcum powder and aftershave over the years has soaked into and become ingrained into the wooden floorboards in the shop. There is a sort of old mustiness that pervades this fragrance, which I hated in Knize Ten, but which intrigues me in Vetiver and draws me to it.

Creed's Vetiver is not a scent I would wear very often, but it is one I could see purchasing simply to savor every once in a while, so that I can take a quick blast back to the old days when personal grooming was a hallmark of a gentleman.

01st February, 2010

brrrry's avatar

REALLY good juice here. I had a bottle and sold it to a fellow BNoter almost a year ago, not really understanding what I had. I decanted 1.5 ml for old times sake before I sent the bottle away. I recently won another on ebay and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is as good as my previous bottle. I haven't wore it since I sold it and decided to spray a few squirts of my decanted juice to hold me over til the full bottle arrives. This fits so many categories for me. Classy, elegant, leisure, yard work, at the bar, at the office, etc. The list could go on as far as where this will work. It does smell very "fresh" but not in the trendy way that comprises most of today's newly released crap. I feel this is a nice segue into vetiver frags for somone who isn't familiar with the note or genre. Not too heavy on the vetiver as some of the other go-tos that get mentioned when vetiver is brought up. I'm sure it's not raw enough for some but it works for me as a change of pace, when I want vetiver to ride shotgun and not man the steering wheel. IMO this, among a few others, is why I hold Creed in high regard. They get knocked around for some of their latest offerings. But they have got some real gems in their stable if you look a little further than the well known. Big thumbs up.

19th November, 2009

StylinLA's avatar

I think this is kind of a "mature" man scent, but I like it a lot (and I am a sort of mature man after all). Evokes an earlier time that's for sure.

Fresh and a little sharp. A little more heaviness than a green scent would usually have. I do notice the soapiness others mention here. It does conjure up an old barber shop but I don't think that's a bad thing.

I always worry about the shelf life of some of the slower selling colognes and I'm guessing this is one of them. The sillage is a little weak on me.

09th August, 2009

derekp's avatar

After a very outdoors-y opening, this one dries down to a lovely soapy base. I don't find this one particularly masculine, but it is nice to be certain. A very safe scent, with good sillage and longevity.

29th June, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Refreshing vetiver and is a conglomerate of everything masculine. It's still slightly grassy and has a fruity citrus vibe to it. Also a little creamy. Then it gets mineralic and boring but it was nice when the top lasted.

20th June, 2009

Indie_Guy's avatar

One of the softest, smoothest most subtle vetivers I've ever experienced.

Much is often said of the craggy "mineral" note of this one, and I agree that this scent does conjure images of digging into damp clean earth. Still, it's very subtle. What I also get is a substantial alpha-isomethyl ionone note and it's got that quality of being somewhere between "buttery" and "ashen". This may be what gives it that wet, rocky, grey feel. Some have said there is little vetiver in this, and I'll concede, this is not a mega-vetiver for the bean counters. I do, however, easily detect vetiver here. The ginger gives it a spark and there's a slight kiss of sweetness in the base.

The longevity/strength can be deceptive with this one. I can sit at home and spray several times on my arms and it seems like the stuff vanishes in minutes. However a few days ago, I wore two sprays under my t-shirt and dress shirt at work. It lasted at least 10 hours and actually generated some sillage. I was pleasantly surprised. It seems to lack oomph, but I think the more you wear it, the more you notice it.

Understatement is the theme of Creed Vetiver, but it's totally refined and gentlemanly. I also find its quiet beauty to be calming and almost hypnotic at times. Perfection.

16th April, 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

Unlike Creed’s Original Vetiver, which was for me an acquired taste, I liked the 1948 version instantly. It fresh and crisp, strongly supported by ginger and to a lesser extent cedar. Thus far, my favorite Vetiver fragrance (“high end vetiver ginger ale” if I may say so). I think it is one of the most underrated Creed fragrances. I tend to like ginger notes in fragrance and it is well integrated here. I realize a lot of people are less fond of ginger and if you are one of them, it may be best to look elsewhere.

17th February, 2009

Kaern's avatar

I like it very much although calling it Vetiver is a bit misleading. It has a very fresh and expensive soap aroma to me and does recall old barbers shops -- not a bad thing though. Very late in the drydown something green and woody does show it's hand, but never dominates. I initially sprayed at night and could detect it in the morning, which is usually a good sign regarding longevity -- may need being quite liberal with the application. For a fresh, clean, elegant, spicy and occasionally woody fragrance, it takes some beating. Needs checking out at least.

18th September, 2008

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

This Creed does nothing for me. The opening is very 1948 indeed - it smells like a postwar ramshackle barbershop - residues of spilled cologne, shaving cream, quinine, perm chemicals, dust - yuck. Thankfully it morphs into a soapy floral skinscent after a few minutes, with a touch of cedar and "grey stone" - not bad, but at this point it's already beginning its disappearing act, without any vetiver ever having come to the fore. Two years after this dreary affair came the bold and wonderfully technicolor Orange Spice. I'll stick with that for postwar Creeds, thank you.

30th May, 2008

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Beautiful scent, kinda reminds me a little of Irish Spring. Most vetivers are pungent but Creed has really got this right.

The problem however is longevity. I sprayed my wrist 45 minutes ago and I can just barely detect it.

This would be a home run if it lasted.

Pity.

14th January, 2008

Arneblaze's avatar

I wanted to like this as it is so popular with Basenote-ers. It struck me as very light and of a woody, caramel combination. It disappeared quickly on my skin. Not a distinguished vetiver by any means.

10th January, 2008

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

first I thought -wow what a scent but unfortunately I have to revise my opinion about this fragrance.
    It opens quite delightful : fresh,fruity-elegant , classy and sophisiticated.old school´s scent.1948!
    The problem for me was and is the drydown.It ends as a soapy,sweet, very soft and creamy scent.Somehow floral and what I personally miss is the smell of vetiver.
    I had tested the wonderful and outstanding vetiver by guerlain, the good vetiver by annik goutal, the interesting (smoky!)vetiver by etro and the fascinating vetiver by givenchy.These were and are the benchmarks.
    But Vetiver by Creed is not a vetiver in the proper meaning of the word- you don´t smell it and what is offered is a good scent lacking the character and personalitiy.
    This fragrance is a nice and lovely - you can wear it everyday, at any time but it´s faceless and boring- there is nothing exciting , alluring or challenging about it- it´s impersonal but on a high level!I prefer scents with rough edges- all the mentionned vetivers are edgy and have a high recognition value, specially the vetiver by guerlain which is a real vetiver.
    As it has been said :this fragrance is loved by young congressmen of the white house.....any questions?!

09th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 19th June, 2011)

drumana's avatar

Probably my favorite scent that I own. It's sophisticated, earthy, a little soapy, not overpowering but definately present. Lasts long lasting on me. Don't get this one mixed up with Creed's "Original" Vetiver, which is not nearly as good IMO.

14th December, 2007

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Very soft, very classy, almost feminine Vetiver scent.

Also very soapy.

I may be alone, but as far as being a man's cologne, I prefer Creed's Original Vetiver by a vary large margin.

I think this Vetiver would be better with Iris, Rose, Marigold, and some very soft florals, flipped into a feminine scent.

Still, it is very classy and well done.

13th December, 2007

rivers's avatar

Had trouble tracking this one down but I'm glad i did. Original Vetiver was my first creed fragrance and while i enjoy it in the summer i dislike the soapy drydown. This one is much better, still fresh smelling but much more earthy. This scent works perfectly for the run up to spring.

05th December, 2007

Stelios_X_opa's avatar

This smell is incredible.
    Very classy, and the dry down is addicting. I could literally smell it all day. I pick up the bottle in my room to smell it sometimes, and i find myself with the top near my nose for about 5 minutes each time!

25th October, 2007