Reviews of Weekend for Men by Burberry

Find out more about Weekend for Men by Burberry in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

An unimaginably turgid and vapid fragrance. The opening is an anaemic broth,suffused with low grade synthetic ingredients. Weekend then breathlessy hurries to its conclusion inside a few hours, as if aware of its own pointlessness. Recent productions from Burberry such as Brit and London suggest that they are capable of excellent work, but Weekend is a miserable failure.

29 July, 2009

d_duffy7's avatar
    d_duffy7

Got this for real cheap at a TJ maxx.

Very feminine, but still smells good. I'm not the manliest of men, so I guess it's expected, haha.

Do I think it smells good? 4/5
    Compliments from the ladies? 2/5
    Overall 3/5

24 July, 2009

cjkamm's avatar
    cjkamm

Nice fresh everyday citrus scent. Causual

15 July, 2009

redstar's avatar
    redstar

smells like wild grass on the lawn or the garden or the fields, but that is where it belongs. On the body it jusy makes me feel sick. Its sharp and vile vile vile

12 June, 2009

andyman32's avatar
    andyman32

This is a very pleasant, rich, warm fragrance. Medium sweetness. To my nose the grapefruit topnote just melts seductively into the honey and musk basenote. I also pick up a non-trivial mid/base note of honeysuckle. I don't remember this being so nice the first time I tried it but I do enjoy this quite a bit - I'd say this is a less sweet, less loud Un Jardin en Medieteranee by Hermes - this one's much more mellow and easy to wear. Not quite as flamboyant. Overall, excellent!

03 June, 2009

MFJ's avatar
    MFJ

Weekend is a Burberry I can do without. The lemony opening does come off a little cheap smelling and the slightly greener and sweeter dry-down is mediocre. I get no musk or amber at all.

07 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2009)

Dany1985's avatar
    Dany1985

Yukk! smells like 12X lemon tart at first..after a while it sorta stinks. By far the worst citrus scent EVER!!!

Stay away....

18 April, 2009

monsieur_sparkle's avatar
    monsieur_sparkle

Top Notes: Spiced Vomit
    Heart Notes: Dishwashing Detergent, Mold
    Base Notes: Soiled Laundry

Can't understand all the thumbs up here, maybe I sniffed the flanker, Weekend in Hell, by mistake? This stuff smells like a guy who drank spiced rum all night and then crashed out while vomiting in a hamper full of dirty laundry. This is by far the most vile fragrance I've ever smelled. What was Burberry thinking? Shoulda been called Satan's Batchelor Pad or Eau de Vomitorium.

31st March, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2009)

robpmgc's avatar
    robpmgc

There is something that this has in common with Cuiron by Helmut Lang. A very sharp note, is it grapefruit? I don't know what it is, but I don't like it. Between pushing the spray and it hitting my skin, I want it off of me. If it was just a top note, I could wait it out, but this one hangs on for 10+ hours. Not pleasant at all. Another bottle for my son's collection.

26 February, 2009

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

a very light kinda gendarme scent. very linear but decent citrus that selles in a smooth breeze like an odor. sorry i had to say that but it's for guys who wanna smell ok that don't really care cologne. the axe and body spray guys should like it.

02 February, 2009

Scentaur's avatar
    Scentaur

Such a lively fragrance. I love how it smells on me. Some say this has a unisex feel to it but I think this is male fragrance all the way. Great great scent. Just don't wear this when you're sweating or engaged into some type of physical activity as this may turn into something sour and could be a turn-off!

09 January, 2009

sjohnjay's avatar
    sjohnjay

Burberry's marketing dept. must have been either too ambitious for their own good. Or maybe just really desperate for a new target clientele. Otherwise, I'd see no reason for them to extend their tentacles to the 16 & under crowd. This is lightweight, fruity, summery, and not to be taken seriously by adults. If Laura Ashley had been making men's frags 20 years ago, they would smell like this!

07 December, 2008

69105's avatar
    69105

Good scent - if you like Caswell Massey's Number Six, but are tired of it wearing off ten seconds after you put it on, give this one a try. Although I prefer muskier scents, this one is pretty good.

26 October, 2008

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

Straightforward citrusy opening albeit pleasant, which settles down to a musky soapy finish. I've been told that it is a really sexy aroma by others, but I always find that hard to quantify in men's fragrances (I need feedback). There is nothing wrong with Weekend and it is nice to wear occasionally. Longevity and sillage pretty good on me, so good value for money also. Growing fond of it.

11th September, 2008

dpak's avatar
    dpak

Take cKone, tone down the citrus a bit (so it's not quite as neon), add a dash of fresh soap and tea (perhaps that's the ivy) and a hint of honey to balance the soap. Very nice stuff - good for casual or work. It's a shame it doesn't last three hours, though, hence the neutral rating.

11th August, 2008

Scott1971's avatar
    Scott1971

I find this quite good, it's fresh and energizing and never fails to put me in a good mood. It can be had for fairly cheap these days and makes for a nice summer scent. Thumbs up!

23 July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Spicy and citrusy and quite sharp at first but not a zesty sharp citrus. More bitter/sour and airy. I like it but not that interesting. Doesn't last that long on my skin. I can smell the musk throughout the whole think which smells quite nice.

29 May, 2008

Aiona's avatar
    Aiona

It's funny to me to see all the reviews by men who think this smells most like a women's perfume, because that was my thought as well! I sniffed the Burberry Weekend for Men on a card, and liked it very much! On the other hand, I sniffed Burberry Weekend for Women on a card, and my nose recoiled in horror! 'Nothing alike!

I sprayed a little of this on myself, and it was all lemony-lime and bergamot! I liked it! Then, many hours later, it was still like a lime Lifesaver on my skin. Other women told me it smelled nice, and when I told them it was a male scent, they were surprised, too!

It's a nice summery kind of scent. Long lasting on me too (>6 hours). 'Wouldn't come off with soap and water, or alcohol.

02 May, 2008

heythatslife's avatar
    heythatslife
    South Korea South Korea

Weekend seems to be the least mentioned and the least highly regarded Burberry fragrance among Basenoters. Well, I protest. I don't really see what the complaint here with it being too feminine is all about, but then again I wear Carnal Flower in public. The citrus opening is fresh, and effervescent really is the right adjective here. The drydown smells like good soap. It does have somewhat a weak middle stage, as others have mentioned, where things are a bit confused. But otherwise a decent light, playful scent. Not the most elegant thing out there, sure, but you could pay a lot more and do worse than this.

25 April, 2008

egoscentrick's avatar
    egoscentrick

Agreeing with a few previous reviews, this is certainly a fragrance that is skin-specific (IMO the best are).

On me, it does open with a sharp lemoniness, albeit a very pleasant one. (I can't imagine how this would open as smooth and warm on anyone...the drydown perhaps--the opening, no way). It has a near girliness that actually comes off well on many masculine guys (think balance...offsetting the manliness). It reminds me very very much of the early 70s lemoniness of Love's Fresh Lemon that groovy girls at the time would wear, including my older sister. Very straightforward fresh squeezed citrus. Its other sharpness is not dissimilar to a bugspray kind of sharpness, but, again, I enjoy this edgy freshness. In this sense, it has a unisex quality that's fun and sexy for a macho guy to wear casually.

Then the honeyed notes come through, balancing and warming, and remain to pin down the rest of the drydown. The ivy notes maintain a nice green edge through the drydown. The citrus impressively maintains its presence. The drydown is summer southern nocturnal floral--warm, sparkling and lemony.

It is one of the scents where the notes listed are clearly articulated and detected. In that sense, it is not highly integrated or refined. But it is exactly this casual quality that makes it a "weekend" fragrance, no?

Somewhat unisex, it is sexy on dark-featured guy who can use the freshening balance. It is an underrated casual citrus, and one of my favorites.

24 April, 2008

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Having recently sampled Weekend, I find it to be very similar to Truefitt & Hill’s classic Freshman. However, I think Freshman is a much better and more complex scent. Freshman (1815) is a brisk and comfortable classic. Weekend is simply a modern version of that. I’m surprised no one has made this comparison. At points Essenza di Zegna has the same vibe.

10th May, 2007

Mario Justiniani's avatar
    Mario Justiniani
    Cuba Cuba

Casual is one thing, this one's scratching your belly button while burping. On top of that it's citrusy-cheap and feminine sweet. Must have been some weekend . . .

17 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

Relaxing yet almost too generic scent- however it does smell clean and not too sporty. The sensation of British leisure and outdoor- culture recreated is still a slightly too ambitious, too pretentious promise, as it hardly( and if yes, only a bit) stand out from that specific 90's aquatic sweetness. Average, decent casual scent, good enough to be a light everyday scent.

07 March, 2007

castorpollux's avatar
    castorpollux

This one I felt it was a woman’s perfume disguised as a man’s frag. But that was at first spray, because afterwards it became a more unisex scent that had a very heavy dose of soap in it. This soap would be regular run-of-the-mill soap, and sans glicerine.
    The opening might be very sharp to some, and this citrusy sharpness will die down rather slowly. On my skin, this scent lasted a long time and the sillage was very strong. I thought it was strange since on others the sillage was so-so.
    The top notes I ca live with, the mid notes were a bit hostile, like a verbal dissagreement between floral notes, and they kept on fighting until the basenotes came in, and at that time I was getting really tired of this scent. I don’t’ find it very sweet but it certainly is mild and somewhat uneven and simple.
    At times it almost remided me of how might have been the smelling salts of yore. I know this one can smell good, just not on me.

10th November, 2006

ANDREW the cologne guy's avatar
    ANDREW the cologne guy
    Nigeria Nigeria

I love it. It makes me happy. Last quite a while on my skin and it just makes me feel in love with myself. I particularly like the tangerine and grapefruit. It doesn't smell cologny...more like a just-plucked surprise from mother nature.

31st October, 2006

RiveGauche2006's avatar
    RiveGauche2006

I like, very clean and light, and sporty, i wear it throught the week though :o)

16 September, 2006

nicolastutor's avatar
    nicolastutor

This was really popular with the Asian kids at my school back in '98. I remember my friend always smelled like this. It smells like powdery lemon scented tissue, as one person has already mentioned. I still like it though. 24, Ca, USA.

05 May, 2006

smelly..'s avatar
    smelly..

it last all of 4minutes 42 seconds on my skin..lovely,fresh,summery and full of promise but fails to deliver..nice packaging initally attracted me but the scent wears for such a short while that its not worth the money..but then its not particularly expensive..freshness,freshness,freshness..and then its gone..

21st March, 2006

foetidus

It’s strange how a single scent can elicit such different results on different skins, and, looking at the reviews, this one is more variable than most. I am amazed that anyone could call this sharp (I like “sharp”). On my skin it is smooth and warm and restrained from the opening through the drydown. As for sweetness, yes, I find it sweet (I don’t like “sweet”), but certainly not excessively so. I side with those who say this is a smooth, warm, somewhat subtle fragrance.

I think the oakmoss and sandalwood in the heart has a lot to do with how Weekend reacts on me—on my skin these are stars—THE top performers. And they serve to mute other notes when they are around: Being in the midnotes, they very quickly move into action and then hang around for a long time, so I find this fragrance dominated by oakmoss and sandalwood.

Another good thing is the watermelon—it does a wonderful job of toning down the extravagant use of citrus in the opening. It provides the right dab of sweetness and truly rounds out the notes of the top and mid.

My problem was in the mid notes: I get a sort of floral and / or “perfumy” vibe from them. The pyramid doesn’t mention florals, but I have a sense that there is a little Eternity-like aura in the mid notes.

The dry down is very nice—ambery warm, honey sweet, and musky close to the skin. Perhaps a little similar to D’Issey but I like Weekend’s better.

23 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2008)

kmfdm10392's avatar
    kmfdm10392

Not one of Burberry's best. The citrus is far too strong and this is the most "girly" of any man's fragrance I have ever smelled. The two times I tried it I was asked if I was wearing women's perfum.

14 February, 2006