Reviews of West Indian Limes by Truefitt & Hill

Overall a thumbs up.

The scent - and I recognize this is subtle - is less limes and more limeade. I swear I can smell the lime juice and the sugar mixed in with it together in some kind of delicious, refreshing wearable.

When you compare, for example, to the much less expensive but substantially longer-lasting scent of Pinaud Lime Sec (which I think one can smell equal parts lime zest and lime juice in), the West Indian Lime scent would be more "artificial", but to my nose it isn't what I'd describe as "synthetic". Still, I find myself wearing the Pinaud because it lasts well, and by comparison I've been told it smells very clean (if not very complex).

Still, though, it smells good - again, exactly like the limeade you'd get from a vendor on a beach boardwalk in the summer.

But the scent is, sadly, not very long-lasting. I'd suspect only someone standing close to me on the train is going to smell it at 9am, and by lunch nobody'd be the wiser; the scent is gone by then. The staying power is its primary drawback; at $75-$100 bottle, I'd like it last more than a couple of hours.
26th April, 2016 (last edited: 25th April, 2016)
I have a theory about old style perfumes of this sort that pre-date the synthetic fragrance revolution.

At the time it was created people were generally not as familiar with the smell of something like a lime to the extent that they are now, similarly they weren't used to synthetic fragrances. So essentially something 'lime like' automatically brought all the associations of a real lime with it.

These days people are very familiar with fresh limes - and simultaneously familiar with synthetic 'lime like' smells used in air fresheners, cleaning products etc. To the point where this fragrance smells like a good synthetic lime smell rather than bringing to mind fresh limes.

Yes, you do get neroli, orange, a touch of cloves etc. The dominant smell is that of synthetic lime though.
08th May, 2015
There is no doubt that this is one of the most "authentic" limes on the market, despite some subtle synthetic notes. It has a very pleasant opening, is very inoffensive, and is charmingly sweet.

My only criticism is that dries down to an almost "Pez-like" smell after about thirty minutes. I am a person who enjoys his Pez, but it might not be the most sophisticated aroma in certain settings.

I think this would be appropriate for summer and spring.
17th November, 2013

Reminds me of hospital cleaner.
Im sure they have updated their recipe in the last 10 years as the scent has changed demonstrably.
Strong, sweet citrus scent - lasts way too long, scared off many a female companion, before I even had the chance to scare them by talking.
21st December, 2012
I'm reviewing this one before I get to the others, because it stands out from their line; it's the strongest, longest-lasting lime scent that I've encountered in a long time. (Which isn't saying much, and I suspect the reason behind this is that a lot of it is synthetic.) The top notes are very crisp and sharp like Trumper Limes but quite a bit stronger, again like cutting into an actual lime. It weakens a bit after the initial citrus blast, but maintains that dirtier, slightly woodier scent that the rind itself has after everything's been squeezed from it. Beyond that, it starts to get sweeter, and even a bit candy-like (hence my suspicions of synthetic notes), but a fairly natural lime rind still obviously remains, along with some light woods. While Trumper GFT's undying lemon note is more convincingly natural than this, the Truefitt is still pleasant enough, and not nearly as bad as comparable designer atrocities, so I don't count this against it. I also don't see GFT as being enough of an apples-to-apples comparison. So if you want one of the myriad English lime scents, don't want it to be gone in a flash, and don't mind if it's got a more synthetic tinge to it, then this is your winner, hands down.
08th October, 2011
A nice opening of lime, lemon and bergamot to this one. A bit different that GFT limes where that one is a complete blast of lime, but fades almost immediately.

The T&H Limes evolves over time to develop some neroli notes with hints of lime creeping up throughout. I don't detect much of the lemon and bergamot from the opening as this develops either. Stays pretty linear to my nose through the mid and basenotes with hints of lime imbedded in neroli. Longevity is pretty decent lasting 4-6 hours on me and for a lime fragrance it is by far my favorite that I've tried.
26th April, 2011
JDE Show all reviews
Lime sweets in the opening, with a little sherbert fizz going on. Very nice and fluid and very refreshing. I get about 10 minutes of this candy cane lime and enjoy every one of them. Unlike other reviewers, I get virtually no other citrus at first except the sugary and moist lime note and it stays that way until I get some neroli come in. It's only then that I can detect other citric notes - I have an uneducated nose at best and i'm not really used to citrus-y colognes anyway, though.
Some nice Neroli in the heart, and a lovely orangey limey petitgrain blends very well with it. Warm, but still very refreshing. This is very pleasant for a couple of hours on my skin, then evaporates into a skin scent with a tiny smidge of cloves and neroli.

Personally, I prefer this to Trumper's Lime, which only gives me an hour or so of pleasure but is more of an example in what Limes actually smell like, as opposed to lime candy with flowery orange and to Taylor of Old Bond Street's Lime cologne which is the most serious straight Lime cologne i've tried and has a strange cleaning chemical aroma to it.

If they found a way to double the longevity of this, it would be nicer but it does project quite well. Since this is such a refreshing pick-me-up frag, it probably does it favours to not last into the afternoon, though. T&H bottles are very nicely designed in my opinion, but they tend to have quite poor atomisers. Overall, if you like cheerful limes and you have a sweet tooth, it's a nice option for summer.
04th August, 2009
The "funnest" of the Lime scents.
Starts with a deliciously wet and sweet lime, flanked by other citrus fruits.
Progresses into a combination of the sharp/sweet/wet-lime/citrus, and a softer, sweeter neroli/spice.
Finally settles into a soft, sweet Lime-rind/neroli/clove accord.
Very good scent, albeit short-lived on skin.

notes:
Lime, Lemon, Bergamot, Petitgrain, Neroli, Citronella, Orange Flower, Clove
21st June, 2009 (last edited: 01st March, 2010)
Of all the many lime titled fragrances, this is by far my favourite. The lime does indeed form an integral part of proceedings, but it recedes gradually allowing the much lighter elements to form a sweet,crisp and understated accord that is delightfully refreshing. Despite being an EDC, and being essentially a post shave freshener, its longevity is more than acceptable. This well worth considering when the temperature soars, and you need something subtle and classy.
28th March, 2009
Lovely fragrange

Razor sharp Lime - a Citrus explosion - which does last on my skin, melding into a dry Petitgrain, an then a warmer Neroli and slighly spicy finish.

Its 'old-school, but oddly still modern smelling.
You would need to like limes. Its not a 'hint' of lime .. it is veeery Lime
I'll be keeping this one for the Summer - for sure
19th January, 2009
This is the way I think a lime scent should smell. Indisputably masculine, fresh and indisputably lime opening, which softens and is supported by petitgrain. And while I get decent longevity from it, if you don’t should you be surprised? Remember, it is a cologne, not an EDP. Thumbs up from me!
28th December, 2008
I am puzzled by T&H's West Indian Limes cologne, created in 1870. T&H list their ingredients as so:

Top: Citrus, Lemon, Lime, Bergamot
Middle: Petigrain, Neroli, Citronella

Base: Clove, Orange Flower

Two things baffle me:

1. Why name it for a scent content that evaporates in ten minutes?
2. Why name orange flower as a base note when: a. it is identical to neroli used in the middle note; b. how can a floral be used as a base???

Placing these oddities aside for a moment, my experience is that this begins with a burst of lemon/lime (which disappears within ten minutes), followed by a floral bouquet which quickly settles down to neroli, supported by petitgrain for the rest of the 3-4 hour duration of the scent. (My nose can detect no bergamot, citronella, or clove.)

For those familiar with Floris' #127, the T&H West Indian Limes can be regarded as a weak (toilet water) version of #127 without the roundness of Floris' rose note and without either the strength or endurance of the Floris. For my money Floris makes the strongest perfumes and colognes available - a little bit goes a very long way. Some Floris scents are so strong I can't wear them - even an infinitesimal splash can be too powerful.

Caswell-Massey in their catalogue describing the T&H West Indian Limes describes it as "citrusy" when if they'd actually smelled it and done their homework, they'd realize it as "floral."

For those seeking the best Lime on the market (for my nose), go no further than Trumper's Extract of West Indian Limes - this is pure lime and long lasting - not sweet like Caswell's Lime.

To sum up - T&H's West Indian Limes is for my nose actually a floral - neroli supported by petitgrain, with the citrus lime/lemon quickly evaporating in the fist ten minutes or so. As a weaker version of Floris #127 without the rounded rose note, this is a lovely and sophisticated scent, but it is not what its name advertises. One might suspect that in 137 years, someone would have noticed the discrepancy.
29th November, 2007
This is one of the best limes on the market. There is no need to analyze this and get winded here. You simply have fresh uplifting limes. If you don't want to project and are not concerned with longevity, this may be the feel-good fragrance you are looking for. I will agree that it lasts about 3-4 hours.
18th October, 2007

zztopp Show all reviews
Notes:
Top: Citrus, Lime, Lemon, Bergamot
Heart: Petitgrain, Neroli, Citronella
Base: Orange-flower, clove

West Indian Limes (WIL), released in 1870, is probably T&H's best seller. West indian lime, the fruit, is small and less juicy than other lemons and lime, but has the best tangy and refreshing lime aroma. I had high hopes from WIL after trying the excellent T&H WIL scented shaving cream, but wasn't very impressed.

Going by the notes structure, I expected a consistent citrus output throughout the duration of the scent; there are a host of citrus fruits in the top notes, neroli in the heart, and orange flower in the base indicating so. The reality is that WIL is impotent, yet can go on for hours (well, by citrus standards). The opening is zesty and refreshing with lots of lime and lemon which unfortunately lasts for only 2 minutes before melding into a floral-citrusy-woody heart of petitgrain. Yes, petitgrain is the king of this West Indian juice. Possessing that distinctive woody-dry yet every so slightly floral heart, the petitgrain accord slowly squeezes every last bit of juice from these small west indian limes in a scintillating authoritative display of flexing its clout over the proceedings. I get the slightest hints of clove in the drydown, and while the limes last all but 2 minutes, the petitgrain stretches the longevity to over 6 hours (albeit discreetly).

If you like petitgrain, WIL will interest you. I have tried many better more potent citruses, but considering that WIL was released over 125 years ago, its somewhat impressive (from a historical perspective). A commoner like me would not have been able to afford this in 1870 (I would probably be dousing myself with the inferior 4711 instead). WIL is no lemon, but in 2007, it just comes off a bit derivative...and common.
07th March, 2007
Great refreshing and clean smell that lasts for about 4 hrs.
07th September, 2006