Positive Reviews of Wild Country by Avon

Find out more about Wild Country by Avon in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

shamu1's avatar

This is a good, solid old school barbershop fougere. This is not a unique scent at all, and the similarities to old fougere classics like Clubman, Brut and Canoe are obvious. I prefer Canoe because it's a bit smoother and longer lasting, but I prefer Wild Country to Clubman and Brut because it's warmer and richer. It is a very simple fragrance, and I don't understand how there can be so many notes in its pyramid. I certainly don't smell most of them. This is just a very basic fougere.

As Pollux said, this is a perfect barbershop fragrance because it smells like it was meant to slap on after a shave, leaving you with a nice manly scent to start the day off with and staying with you in discreet fashion for just a few hours, not some pounding powerhouse that pumps out clouds of sillage all day. The lasting power is pretty good for such an old school scent - about 4 or 5 hours.

My biggest complaint is that this is a hard fragrance to reapply. It is incredibly powdery, but when you put this on right after a shower the powderiness tones down quickly, and Wild Country becomes warm, smooth and slightly sweet. Reapplying this mid-day though is tough because the dry powderiness smells cloying on reapplication, and it doesn't mellow out like it does when you put it on right after a shower. Wild Country is a one-shot deal for the day for me, which kind of limits its usefulness for me.

Despite these criticisms, I really like Wild Country, and for the money, it can't be beat.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

11th October, 2010

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

A barbershop fragrance that, as many said, is along the line of classics: Dana's Canoe, a local drugstore scent called Grandal and YSL's Rive Gauche. Differences: Wild Country doesn't have Dana's Canoe sweet / caramel-like note in the top and mid notes, nor it shares Grandal's classic-cologne-like notes. The presence of musk is evident, but it is much aminorated by the presence of flowery top and mid notes and the amber / vanilla / moss in the base notes. It does not share at all YSL's Rive Gauche modernist style, because in the case of Wild Country, longevity and sillage are the right ones for a scent designed in the 1960's, while YSL's Rive Gauche could be described as very strong in both terms.

Thus, it is not sweet, it is not "cologny", not ever-present, nor strong in terms of sillage, so we can conclude it is the right sort of barbershop scent. And, as in many of Avon's products, there is a whole range of toiletries sold under the brand.

One more point to add in Wild Coutntry's favor - I layer it with a patchouly extract that improves its sillage and longevity in a remarkable way, bringing compliments from many.

04 September, 2009

ortho123's avatar

Bang for your buck barbershop maybe more modern now because it's sweeter and more defined. Hey, don't most fougeres smell a littte cheap? Go Wild, yet go lightly.

Avon's best scent for men after all these years, not counting any discontinueds...

07 August, 2009

N8Martinez's avatar

Wild Country was launched in 1967 by Avon. Avon started out as the California Perfume Company when founder, Mr. David McConnell, 28 (same age as myself) of New York, NY, USA found out that the perfumes he was giving away was the main reason people bought his books.

Wild Country by Avon is an aromatic fougère fragrance for men. Fougère, meaning "fern-like", is one of the main families into which modern perfumes are classified, with the name derived from the perfume Fougère Royale for Houbigant formulated by the perfumer Paul Parquet. These classes of fragrances have the basic accord with a top-note of lavender and base-notes of Oak moss and Tonka bean. Aromatic fougère, a derivative of this class contain additional notes of spice and wood. Members of the fougère family are especially popular as fragrances for men. Many modern fougère perfumes have various citrus, herbaceous, green, and floral notes included. They all tend to have a sweet/bitter and woody accord, which consists of a base accord of: Oak moss, Tonka bean. The most common modifiers to this basic accord include vetiver and geranium. Bergamot is often present to add sharpness to the lavender top-note.

Wild Country is a fougère scent that is masculine with aromatic freshness of lavender and oak moss. This cologne captures a rugged essence with a vibrant mix of grasses, spicy coriander, warm, spicy, woody, with a lingering touch of musk, and powdery tones. This classic fragrance could be described as a typical "barbershop scent". Also similar to YSL's Rive Gauche pour Homme, at a fraction of the price. Wild Country is inspired by Clubman by Pinaud, Dana's Canoe, and Neutrogena Rainbath. It also has a sweeter and more powdery smell to it than Clubman or Canoe. I also get a "baby powder" feel from this. Not something guys might expect from a scent that's supposed to be masculine.

The overall effect is fresh and clean, but Wild Country is a different take on the citrus aquatic "fresh and clean" scent we typically associate with men's fragrances and body care lines today. A very comfortable fragrance; the kind of scent I could wear often. It has great longevity, which makes it a terrific bargain from Avon. Last 6-8 hours on my skin. I would also rate it as a "safe" blind buy; you can also find it for around $15 US. This is the same cologne my father would wear often to work. The four bottles of Wild Country cologne and four bottles of Wild country aftershave I own are Christmas gifts from my parents. Got a swap? Ladies if you are thinking about the best Men Cologne for a romantic night, this one is quick to set the mood. This is one of my favorite around the house fragrance. A great warm smell that is good for Fall or Winter, or going for a cool evening drive thru the mountains.

Thanks for reading N8 =)

27 July, 2009

This one was a turkey. Literally! The bottle of Wild Country that I bought was in the shape of a turkey. My sister – in – law sold Avon and I bought it because … well, it’s all in the family. I wasn’t thrilled with the turkey, but I liked the scent: It was a bit like Canoe, which was my favorite at the time. Wild Country was a little stronger (maybe “more spicy” is the right description), but it didn’t last as long as Canoe. I considered Wild Country a good scent and I never regretted buying it, except that I had a turkey sitting on my bureau with my Canoe, Jade East, and Eau Sauvage. It appears to be still in production; I’d buy a bottle for old time’s sake, except that I don’t think they still sell the turkey anymore… it looks better after all these years.

09 March, 2008

atrac's avatar

This is a scent most certainly inspired by Clubman by Pinaud and Dana's Canoe, and to some degree, Neutrogena Rainbath. While "Touch" by Fred Hayman definitely smells the most like Rainbath, I would say that Wild Country comes in second. Imagine what you would smell like if you showered with Rainbath, and then immediately applied some Clubman or Canoe after drying off -- that's what Wild Country smells like to me. It's sweeter to my nose than Clubman or Canoe, and I believe the "Rainbath" elements give it that extra dimension. I actually prefer Wild Country over Clubman or Canoe!

It has great sillage and long lasting power, which makes it a terrific bargain from Avon. I would definitely rank it a "safe" blind buy, as you can find it for under $10 US when Avon has it on sale perodically.

24 December, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

yolanchris's avatar

Guyana Guyana

Not bad, but smell cheap and empty I use to wear it. I just won't bother with it again.

02 November, 2007

zenpiper's avatar

Comfortable; the kind of scent you could wear often and be content with. The Canoe reference was right; it's also in the direction of Clubman by Ed. Pinaud. Inoffensive, powdery, pleasant.

09 February, 2007

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

I absolutely love this on a man. My husband wears this all the time and I'm loving it.

20th February, 2006

USC2's avatar

Over the years I have tried many different scents and Wild Country is one of, if not the top on my short list of favorites. It has a clean, herbal, powdery scent that lasts all day and doesn’t grow tiring. Avon really did an outstanding job with this one, best of all it isn’t expensive.

01st December, 2004

moonrat's avatar

Wild Country has a nice vanilla that is not too sweet mixed with a spicy coriander. It seems to me it’s a little like Canoe with slightly more spice. A nice casual scent, it goes well in most daytime events. Seems to remind me of a barber shop fragrance. Possibly more of a cool weather scent, it is still good for all but the most hot and humid days.

29 November, 2004

Joshaugustt's avatar

This is a new find for me. I just "discovered" Wild Country and Mesmerize from Avon, and they're both GREAT! Wild Country is a warm, spicy, fresh scent that's very classy and stays with you for a long time. It has a powedery finish and it's pure class all the way. It's a great surprise!!!

30th July, 2003