Positive Reviews of Wild Country by Avon

Avon Wild Country, where do we begin? It's both follows a well-known male fragrance trope, and sets new precedents of it's own that other higher-end design houses would follow, coincidentally establishing a trope of sorts as a result. It's one of the few if not the only fragrance from Avon that more discerning (and often snobbish) masculine fragrance connoisseurs will acknowledge as noteworthy, even if they don't like it. It has the distinction of being the oldest men's scent from the house still in production, and in continuous production since it's launch. Like it or not folks, this powdery little number from America's favorite door-to-door peddler of "cheap perfume" is a bona fide classic. It's the first cologne I ever smelled, period. Years later, when I was old enough to appreciate smelling good, it was the first that I purchased on my own, and that was merely because of the good memory associated with smelling it as a child.

From an objective point of view, Wild Country is a powdery fresh fougere in the same train of thought as Canoe by Dana or Brut by Faberge. It's only common link to them is following the same basic construction with basenotes of moss and/or tonka (in this case both) and top notes consisting of something citrus and something floral/herbal. Outside of that, it really smells nothing like either of them, despite having identical top notes with Brut. The secret here is the woods and carnation in the heart of the fragrance, and the infusion of musk in the base, without patchouli, vetiver, or the usual "greens" found in more oriental-themed variants of this trope. The results of this warmer, woodsier, softer combination of notes included in the moss/tonka/citrus/lavender power band of the typical barbershop fougere is something that comes across more rugged and down-to-earth; WIld Country is the birth of the blue collar everyman's scent.

Wild Country isn't pretentious, it isn't overly refined, and it's inviting in the way the old local bar is after a hard day's work. It evokes that mental imagery of the American west, of podunk towns, well-worn saddles, tall hats, and it's a powdery floral and woodsy bouquet that almost evokes the smell of leather despite not having a leather note in it (more of a buckskin suede leather, but still). This hard-working and plain-spoken aesthetic appealed to the working stiffs who were saddled with this stuff by their Avon buying or selling wives, girlfriends, mothers, sisters, and aunts. Many guys got this in one of several goofy gift decanters Avon went nuts for in the 60's and 70's, but assuming they used it, the scent eventually became related to all the social outings and romantic liaisons these guys would have. It didn't need to come from a fancy French design house, or be bought from an expensive inner-city boutique (assuming you had access to one living in Nowhereville USA), and could instead just be reordered through the neighboring Avon lady or member of the family.

Guys from this walk of life (just like my late father) couldn't be bothered with all that decorum, and preferred the scent that was pleasant, presentable, but still could be related to the passions and struggles they made as average blue-jeans-wearing guys (cowboy hats or not), which is something the fancy French stuff couldn't do. That association, probably more than the abstract artistic quality of the scent itself, is probably why this became huge and took off like it did. Wild Country elicits thoughts of a guy who lays plumbing all week, or herds up cattle on a ranch, getting in his work van or pickup to go into town with his one good shirt so he can dance with that lady (or gent) he's been fixing to ask out. This humble charm is something that Ralph Lauren would try to evoke years later with the original Chaps, which felt like Wild Country on steroids to be honest, and Coty would also take a stab at with the Stetson line, licensing a name from a famous cowboy hat maker just to dig it in a little deeper.

Neither of those quite got the -point- of Wild Country, but it was impossible for them because high end fashion moguls and French design houses don't know what it's like to punch a time clock or split a cord of wood with an axe, they just wanted to capture the aesthetic and not the authenticity. Neither would probably admit now that they made creations inspired by a paltry mail order catalog scent maker, but that's besides the point. Avon had been making men's fragrance for a few years before Wild Country hit, and some of it was rather good, if predictable, but it was this scent that really helped them connect and resonate with their core audience, the kind of guys that would be interested in entry-level scents for pragmatic reasons if nothing else. Avon would never get it this "right" again, even if it did make several really noteworthy (and successful) scents for guys in the subsequent decades, which is why this -still- endures as it does. Folks who hate barbershop scents still won't like it, but that doesn't matter really, it's still a hard-working classic, and it doesn't get much manlier than this.

P.S.: I have smelled both modern and original formulations of this, and I can report that outside of small tweaks, the scent has remained mostly the same. Nothing in it then or now really has any bans or restrictions besides the moss, so outside maybe swapping out moss for a synthetic note and making the dry down soapier, it casts the same spell. I'd prefer the older formulas simply because they're drier overall.
06th September, 2017 (last edited: 12th December, 2017)
This is truly a classic smell. Some may refer to it as a "mature" fragrance.

This is the sort of fragrance Steampunk or Rockabilly gentlemen might apply for putting more of an emphasis on an homage to days gone by.

Wild Country is a great cologne for men, except me, it's weird, one of those situations where I like the scent just not on me.

A headache inducer on me so I passed it on to my father, the whole gift set which was a EDT, body wash and aftershave.

For the price I can't see why one would not give it a try, whether through ebay or an Avon rep. you have a good number available out there.
20th September, 2015
To my nose, this doesn't smell identical to Brut in any way. I was given a big bottle in 1970 marketed as "Mariner's Choice" in a bottle with a compass on it - this product has always been packaged in novel bottles. Hobson's choice; I was poor, and had nothing else. I guess it's fairly anodyne in an innocuous, inoffensive; vapid way. Quite a short lived effect, some might say bland, it was my go-to in my teens so I feel kindly disposed but only as one might relate to a familiar legacy aroma in the Old Spice class. Were it not for my fond memories, I'd possibly rate it as neutral.
18th July, 2014

shamu1 Show all reviews
This is a good, solid old school barbershop fougere. This is not a unique scent at all, and the similarities to old fougere classics like Clubman, Brut and Canoe are obvious. I prefer Canoe because it's a bit smoother and longer lasting, but I prefer Wild Country to Clubman and Brut because it's warmer and richer. It is a very simple fragrance, and I don't understand how there can be so many notes in its pyramid. I certainly don't smell most of them. This is just a very basic fougere.

As Pollux said, this is a perfect barbershop fragrance because it smells like it was meant to slap on after a shave, leaving you with a nice manly scent to start the day off with and staying with you in discreet fashion for just a few hours, not some pounding powerhouse that pumps out clouds of sillage all day. The lasting power is pretty good for such an old school scent - about 4 or 5 hours.

My biggest complaint is that this is a hard fragrance to reapply. It is incredibly powdery, but when you put this on right after a shower the powderiness tones down quickly, and Wild Country becomes warm, smooth and slightly sweet. Reapplying this mid-day though is tough because the dry powderiness smells cloying on reapplication, and it doesn't mellow out like it does when you put it on right after a shower. Wild Country is a one-shot deal for the day for me, which kind of limits its usefulness for me.

Despite these criticisms, I really like Wild Country, and for the money, it can't be beat.

MY RATING: 7.5/10
11th October, 2010
A barbershop fragrance that, as many said, is along the line of classics: Dana's Canoe, a local drugstore scent called Grandal and YSL's Rive Gauche. Differences: Wild Country doesn't have Dana's Canoe sweet / caramel-like note in the top and mid notes, nor it shares Grandal's classic-cologne-like notes. The presence of musk is evident, but it is much aminorated by the presence of flowery top and mid notes and the amber / vanilla / moss in the base notes. It does not share at all YSL's Rive Gauche modernist style, because in the case of Wild Country, longevity and sillage are the right ones for a scent designed in the 1960's, while YSL's Rive Gauche could be described as very strong in both terms.

Thus, it is not sweet, it is not "cologny", not ever-present, nor strong in terms of sillage, so we can conclude it is the right sort of barbershop scent. And, as in many of Avon's products, there is a whole range of toiletries sold under the brand.

One more point to add in Wild Coutntry's favor - I layer it with a patchouly extract that improves its sillage and longevity in a remarkable way, bringing compliments from many.

04th September, 2009
Bang for your buck barbershop maybe more modern now because it's sweeter and more defined. Hey, don't most fougeres smell a littte cheap? Go Wild, yet go lightly.

Avon's best scent for men after all these years, not counting any discontinueds...
07th August, 2009
Wild Country was launched in 1967 by Avon. Avon started out as the California Perfume Company when founder, Mr. David McConnell, 28 (same age as myself) of New York, NY, USA found out that the perfumes he was giving away was the main reason people bought his books.

Wild Country by Avon is an aromatic fougère fragrance for men. Fougère, meaning "fern-like", is one of the main families into which modern perfumes are classified, with the name derived from the perfume Fougère Royale for Houbigant formulated by the perfumer Paul Parquet. These classes of fragrances have the basic accord with a top-note of lavender and base-notes of Oak moss and Tonka bean. Aromatic fougère, a derivative of this class contain additional notes of spice and wood. Members of the fougère family are especially popular as fragrances for men. Many modern fougère perfumes have various citrus, herbaceous, green, and floral notes included. They all tend to have a sweet/bitter and woody accord, which consists of a base accord of: Oak moss, Tonka bean. The most common modifiers to this basic accord include vetiver and geranium. Bergamot is often present to add sharpness to the lavender top-note.

Wild Country is a fougère scent that is masculine with aromatic freshness of lavender and oak moss. This cologne captures a rugged essence with a vibrant mix of grasses, spicy coriander, warm, spicy, woody, with a lingering touch of musk, and powdery tones. This classic fragrance could be described as a typical "barbershop scent". Also similar to YSL's Rive Gauche pour Homme, at a fraction of the price. Wild Country is inspired by Clubman by Pinaud, Dana's Canoe, and Neutrogena Rainbath. It also has a sweeter and more powdery smell to it than Clubman or Canoe. I also get a "baby powder" feel from this. Not something guys might expect from a scent that's supposed to be masculine.

The overall effect is fresh and clean, but Wild Country is a different take on the citrus aquatic "fresh and clean" scent we typically associate with men's fragrances and body care lines today. A very comfortable fragrance; the kind of scent I could wear often. It has great longevity, which makes it a terrific bargain from Avon. Last 6-8 hours on my skin. I would also rate it as a "safe" blind buy; you can also find it for around $15 US. This is the same cologne my father would wear often to work. The four bottles of Wild Country cologne and four bottles of Wild country aftershave I own are Christmas gifts from my parents. Got a swap? Ladies if you are thinking about the best Men Cologne for a romantic night, this one is quick to set the mood. This is one of my favorite around the house fragrance. A great warm smell that is good for Fall or Winter, or going for a cool evening drive thru the mountains.

Thanks for reading N8 =)
27th July, 2009
This one was a turkey. Literally! The bottle of Wild Country that I bought was in the shape of a turkey. My sister – in – law sold Avon and I bought it because … well, it’s all in the family. I wasn’t thrilled with the turkey, but I liked the scent: It was a bit like Canoe, which was my favorite at the time. Wild Country was a little stronger (maybe “more spicy” is the right description), but it didn’t last as long as Canoe. I considered Wild Country a good scent and I never regretted buying it, except that I had a turkey sitting on my bureau with my Canoe, Jade East, and Eau Sauvage. It appears to be still in production; I’d buy a bottle for old time’s sake, except that I don’t think they still sell the turkey anymore… it looks better after all these years.
09th March, 2008
atrac Show all reviews
This is a scent most certainly inspired by Clubman by Pinaud and Dana's Canoe, and to some degree, Neutrogena Rainbath. While "Touch" by Fred Hayman definitely smells the most like Rainbath, I would say that Wild Country comes in second. Imagine what you would smell like if you showered with Rainbath, and then immediately applied some Clubman or Canoe after drying off -- that's what Wild Country smells like to me. It's sweeter to my nose than Clubman or Canoe, and I believe the "Rainbath" elements give it that extra dimension. I actually prefer Wild Country over Clubman or Canoe!

It has great sillage and long lasting power, which makes it a terrific bargain from Avon. I would definitely rank it a "safe" blind buy, as you can find it for under $10 US when Avon has it on sale perodically.
24th December, 2007 (last edited: 17th April, 2008)
Not bad, but smell cheap and empty I use to wear it. I just won't bother with it again.
02nd November, 2007
Comfortable; the kind of scent you could wear often and be content with. The Canoe reference was right; it's also in the direction of Clubman by Ed. Pinaud. Inoffensive, powdery, pleasant.
09th February, 2007
I absolutely love this on a man. My husband wears this all the time and I'm loving it.
20th February, 2006
Over the years I have tried many different scents and Wild Country is one of, if not the top on my short list of favorites. It has a clean, herbal, powdery scent that lasts all day and doesn’t grow tiring. Avon really did an outstanding job with this one, best of all it isn’t expensive.
01st December, 2004

Wild Country has a nice vanilla that is not too sweet mixed with a spicy coriander. It seems to me it’s a little like Canoe with slightly more spice. A nice casual scent, it goes well in most daytime events. Seems to remind me of a barber shop fragrance. Possibly more of a cool weather scent, it is still good for all but the most hot and humid days.
29th November, 2004
This is a new find for me. I just "discovered" Wild Country and Mesmerize from Avon, and they're both GREAT! Wild Country is a warm, spicy, fresh scent that's very classy and stays with you for a long time. It has a powedery finish and it's pure class all the way. It's a great surprise!!!
30th July, 2003