Positive Reviews of Gold Man by Amouage

Find out more about Gold Man by Amouage in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

themaninthesuit's avatar

Calling this scent a "floral and powdery" is as much of an understatement as describing the Sahara as "large and hot".

The flowers don't merely hit you, they run over you like a truck loaded with rose & jasmine crashing into your living room while you're unsuspectingly watching tv on a particularly hot and humid summer afternoon.

After several hours of unsuccessful scrubbing and wash away the stench you'll start to get the more subtle (if by comparison only) fecal and resinous notes. That is if you can still smell anything at all, of course.

Three of four tries later, you'll get a couple of important lessons:

1. Be extremely conservative on the application of this juice. Just like feeding a tiger, it may be exciting, but one wrong movement and it may rip your arm off.

2. The reviews are not kidding, this thing is special... Special like men who wear eyeliner and remain attractive to women. There are, of course, a few lads who can pull it off: middle eastern princes, mercenary Bedouins and the odd Hollywood-blockbuster pirate. But it would be best left alone by the rest of us unless you want to draw the funny stares that driving a camel to work on suburban Connecticut may get you.

Thumbs up? Well yes! the concoction is beautiful! It manages to be gargantuan and gorgeous at the same time! Sure, it has the power of an angry rhino trashing the perfume section at neiman marcus but after you get over the hell it raises in every nose downwind from you, you realize what a beautiful monster it is.

17th June, 2014 (Last Edited: 16th June, 2014)

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral

Here it is: the most extreme turnaround in my opinion of any fragrance, ever. I begin with my original assessment:

“Egads! Honeyed cat pee. It must be arduous to extract and distil the urine of all those diabetic cats, which would explain the astronomical price. This is alleged to contain hundreds of ingredients, but to my nose it's civet, buckets of musty powder and aldehydes...and a little more powder. Civet + powder + aldehydic white flowers = The Cat Peed in Grandma's Closet. Bombastic and unbalanced for a full eight hours. Shocking as the flagship of the line that contains the marvelous Dia and Jubilation XXV. Oddly enough, the women's version is quite good on my wife. Go figure.”

What’s happened since? I’ve been sampling Gold on and off for years - have my tastes evolved so far? I suspect a reformulation is responsible, and for once, a reformulation for the better! Gold is still enormous, unsubtle, and intensely animalic, but it now strikes me as more nuanced and better balanced. The aldehydes and powder seem to have been toned way down, and the frankincense brought further to the fore. Where the “old” Gold was a musty, dusty, floral, the one I wear now is a rich incense fragrance with a bold floral overlay. Is it easy to wear? No. Does is it smell great? Yes. Once again, go figure…

2014:

My nose tells me Amouage Gold Man has been quietly reformulated since I came to embrace it several years ago. While the new Gold is by no means a shy fragrance, both the civet and the aldehydic floral accord have been toned down considerably since the new, rectangular bottles appeared. In its new incarnation Gold is more of an incense fragrance than a powdery floral, and I suspect many men will find this current formula far easier to wear than the original. The scent is still a blockbuster, still opulent enough to challenge American male sensibilities, but it’s no longer the over-the-top, Liberace costume piece it used to be. Still intact is the superb and tenacious civet and labdanum drydown, itself worth the price of admission, as far as I’m concerned.

09th June, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

What a diverse reaction! I've never seen reviews so evenly divided among the three ratings.

Because of its use of so many real oils as opposed to chemical equivalents, this has for me the effect of quality vintage perfume from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s.

The rose and the civet are prominent, but there are enough oriental resins (myrrh, frankincense) and animalic notes (ambergris, civet, musk) to secure the base. The cedar wood and sandalwood never overpower the floral/animalic, they simply float under it.

This for me is very unisex - woman CAN wear it, men MAY wear it. It is a "romantic floral" for men, as Turin named it, and its 4 stars are deserved.

A worthy partner for the original AMOUAGE GOLD. Too bad this range is entirely out of my budget arena.

17th March, 2014

Awakening950's avatar

This doesn't get enough love. I haven't tried the library scents yet but it's the best that I've tried from this company. The longevity is beastly.

04th May, 2013

Darvant's avatar

Amouage Gold Man is an extremely classic manly floral that heralds immediately its uncompromissing "neutral soapiness " due to an holy initial rosey frankincense (a soon austere Amouage's warning landmark) plus a touch of bergamot. A starring oakmoss is soon noticeable since the beginning. The golden side is represented indeed by a soapy/animalic main vibe produced by the interaction of rose/iris, oakmoss, animalic elements (honey, civet, amber) and faint hesperides. The musky base features mainly oakmoss, than blond woods and ambergris. The outcome is a royal musky/floral "bath foam type and vaguely incensey" with jasmine/iris sparks at distance and the golden heady temperament. For the conservative tastes.

16th January, 2013

Jean-Maurice's avatar

New formula review: 5 stars for one of the best floral for men out there. Not easy to wear due to it's animalic background. Go easy on the sprayer and you'll impress people with this!

18th October, 2012

Ender's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

After having read all the reviews on basenotes I never dared to sample this scent because I was sure it would be unwearable for me. Then I was given a sample of the shower gel which was so irresistible that it really took me in. When I finally got a boddle my first wearing turned out to be a revelation. I was suprised how very much wearable this perfume is despite its undisputable opulence and strength. This is defenitely not how I expected an oriental with this reputation would smell. There's almost no sweetness nor cloying amber or heavy spices you would expect from an oriental. It's bright and shiny floral and etherical with bright frankincence shimmering trough and a touch of amber, oakmoss and civet to give it depth and complexity. My first thought was soap. Like these handmilled french soap that you can buy in large irregular shaped blocks in south of France or a bar of soap you would expect to find in a old expensive Hotel in Paris. I has considerable sillage and staying power but, if treated with respect and with light application (1 spray under your shirt, not more) this is inoffensive and easily wearable and suitable for the office. People around you will not think of you as perfumed but rather as well groomed, having shaved with expensive shaving soap and having applied a generous amount of a high quality skin cream.

30th August, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Opens with a gorgeous cloud of rosy floral notes with hints of lemony mimosa and lily of the valley glinting within it. But soon begins to settle into something a bit less alive and somewhat heavier. Where others smell baby powder, I get strong hair oil from the Indian subcontinent and the base of a legion of perfumes from a bygone age (probably the civet waltzing with the moss). I wish the cloud moment would last longer, before the greasy opulence begins. However, you will be hard pressed to find a comparable floral aimed at men which is this rich and yet perfectly balanced. I wear it once in a while and find that absence from Amouage Gold really does make my heart grow fonder.

15th June, 2012

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

My perfume pen pal brought this along for "show and tell" yesterday and allowed me to spritz some on. at first the big floral blast was a little off-putting, because as I've stated in many reviews, I'm not really a big floral person. He even mentioned that this was the men's version, which I found hard to believe...at first. However, within a few seconds I was starting to really like what I was smelling as it was obvious that the best materials were used to create it and once I considered the culture where this gem was conceived, I realized that floral notes, especially rose, are not considered "unmasculine". On my drive home I noticed that the scent had dried down to something more overtly animalic, with warm floral notes still weaving in and out. It was then that I could really see how this could be considered a masculine scent. As a woman this type of shape-shifting scent appeals to me. It's BIG and luxurious, so a little goes a looong way. I found it to be intriguing and full of surprises. Too bad I can't afford it, but I'll certainly be ordering a decant, so I can experience it again. You men want to get a woman's attention? Wear this.

16th April, 2012

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

I think the vintage version of this (it changed in 2007 or 2008 when they alterted the bottle) is the best men's fragrance ever formulated. It is a tour-de-force of classical perfumery; complex, rich, loaded with the very best ingredients and balanced to perfection by one of history's greatest noses. It has an outstanding jasmine dominated floral accord with aldehydes and beautiful frankincense, then there is iris and....well, everything else good. The concentraion is high and the projection and endurance are phenomenal.

No more feminine than a classic english masculine floral in my opinion, I would take this one to my desert island.

Glory.

04th April, 2012

surge's avatar

I love it -- at first spray it reminded me of a more powdery version of Jubilation XXV with more florals, but then as the drydown began it reminded me of something else...Rose 31!

I think this is a very elegant fragrance; Yes, it's powdery, and yes, it has Rose AND Lilly right in the top...however I do *not* get femininity from this at all.

I get soapy fresh incense with florals creeping up in the drydown; I get the feeling of royalty and desert sand on a private beach -- an oasis :D

I've smelled far more scents marketed as masculine that should be either feminine or unisex than Amouage Gold. I do see how some people can get "old lady" smell out of this though...it's just one of those memory recall things. I wish old people would stop ruining notes \ scents for us :( Although I did NOT get that from Gold, I got it from Noir De Noir (because of the Rose) -- the Rose in Gold is very very soft and creeps up during the drydown, unlike Noir De Noir which is in your face.

24th March, 2012

Thomas-the-Promise's avatar

WOW! I love this scent and yes it is a "nuveau retro" instant classic!

I agree with the CHANEL #5 reference and I would add the "Shalimar for men" as it is quite soapy in the beginning.

Very pungent, strong and instantly recognizable!

A true golden STAR of a scent...I cannot stop sniffing!!

Instantly makes you feel divine and worth a million bucks!

MASTERPIECE!

16th March, 2012

Bartlebooth's avatar

My first sampling of Amouage Gold was in less than auspicious circumstances. During an especially tedious train journey, I decided to relieve my ennui with a perfumed daub of the wrists. What ensued was magnificent, epiphanous, and a treat for my rapidly atrophying brain. Not even the baleful stares of a small child opposite me - with two tusks of snot descending from his nose could detract from this wonderful experience. In my mind, I was somewhere else, somewhere in the lap of luxury, being pampered and preened.

It does everything you would expect from a hyper-expensive niche fragrance with the soubriquet "Gold". Served up in a gold garnished bottle - it is opulent, bombastic and a celebration of excess. Although the extraordinarily dense rose dominant opening is a real breath catcher, it is a simple creation, highly polished, and exhibiting remarkable radiance. Although the evolution is minimal, Amouage Gold is that very rare beast - a male floral of outstanding quality, and not in the least apologetic.

Gold is the consummate orator - you may not like what he says, but you have to admire the passion and the self belief

03rd January, 2012

alfarom's avatar

An extremely classic humongous animalic floral enriched by the typical Amouage frankincense signature on top. Rose, mimosa and civet galore. Expansive, huge, extremely rich and definitely ostentating but so well executed that the only thing left is to sit down and enjoy its majesty. Surely one of most challenging and hardest compositions to approach in the Amouage regular range. Definitely not for everybody.

Me? I probably wouldn't wear it even if subjected to torture but it's still an outstanding composition.

10th November, 2011

barclaydetolly's avatar

I do smell the florals, but don't get a feminine vibe in Gold. I think it smells great, could be worn by any guy, and isn't dated at all. This is a far cry from the aquatic scents now dominating the marketplace, but smelling great never gets old. I like Gold much better than Jubilation, personally, but I'm probably in the minority.

26th October, 2011 (Last Edited: 13th November, 2011)

drseid's avatar

A weak positive rating from me for Gold Man. Gold is very floral with rose and lily of the valley notes to start, and then stays floral throughout all the way to the dry-down (which adds a nice helping of musk) I guess I have not noticed the civet note like others, as the scent only has a slight animallic smell to my nose. Gold is tremendously potent (and I mean POTENT), with super projection and sillage as well. Unlike some, I can indeed see someone pull this off as I do believe this is wearable from a male perspective. That said, it takes a *very* confident man, and probably most will feel a tad uncomfortable wearing this (myself sadly included). Nice effort, just limited audience appeal. 3 out of 5 stars.

12th October, 2011 (Last Edited: 02nd June, 2012)

jtd's avatar

I had no notion until I smelled Gold Men that I'd formed an image (fantasy) in my mind of what the old-school animalic floral/orientals of the early 20th century were. On smelling Gold Men, I realized that I had, and that this was it.

Sensational, huge powdery animalic fragrance. Now I understand why these old perfumes were both powdery and animalic. If you do it right, it's brilliant.

As spectacular a ride as the top and heartnotes of this perfume are, the drydown is one of the best I've smelled. It's there, softer and quieter than the topnotes, but it remains fully-fleshed and complete. The drydown isn't just a ghost of the heartnotes.

Gold Men is powerful and distinctive. Not for shrinking violets, not for somebody who doesn't want to be identified for his scent. Certainly not for someone who wants to read as contemporary in a pop or trendy sense. Gold Men is more a leader than a follower in this respect. It is one of a very few fragrances that I could wear forever and be utterly happy.

15th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22nd September, 2011)

Zizanie's avatar

An intoxicating, kaleidoscopically floral animalic powerhouse, Amouage Gold Men is among my 3 favorite fragrances. This is not an every day fragrance unless you live a daily black tie and caviar lifestyle. The ingredients used in Gold are clearly superb and the evolution from the top notes to the heart of the fragrance is masterful. The drydown lasts for hours and is resinous, deep and redolent of oakmoss and ambergris. Don't let the negative reviews deter you from trying this great fragrance if you like opulent, rich, complex scents and if your masculinity isn't threatened by floral scents.

04th June, 2011

ysatis's avatar

Ukraine Ukraine

I bought it for my husband, because it suits him so much. The scent is so dependent on the skin biochemistry that requires no garlic, no onion in food to wear it successfully.

14th September, 2010

sean-dt's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Completely over the top. Opulent to the point of vulgarity. Love it!!!

02nd February, 2010

AlexWo's avatar

I have collected fragrances for 20 years, and hands-down this is my favorite (just barely edging out some of the classic Guerlains, Channels and Carons). Mind you -- there are more circumstances where I wouldn't wear this fragrance than when I would, but in terms of complexity, sheer power, and to me beauty of multiple layers of fragrance, there are few if any fragrances even in the same class.

No fragrance I've ever worn has generated more positive comments from friends and strangers alike. (Oddly enough, do you know what the second most provocative fragrance is in terms of people noticing and commenting positively? The vintage (original) Tabarone by Creed. Interestingly, like Amouage Gold for Men, the vintage/original Tabarone from Creed exudes power, privilege, exclusivity.

I have been using two testers for this fragrance prior to investing the $300 plus for a bottle, but it passes all tests that I have. A stunningly beautiful fragrance with what is obviously the highest quality ingredients. Not for the faint of heart, nor is it a "sports fragrance" (gag!). My wife and I went to the Atlanta Opera last weekend in black tie -- she wore Amourage Gold for women and I wore Gold for men, and it really worked. Funny thing is, she likes Gold for men more than Gold for women.

I know what I'm asking Santa to bring me for Christmas this year!

21st November, 2009

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

My first impression was to ask myself if this was a masculine scent. Then, I recalled the same feeling when smelling Chanel Nº 5. Afterwards, I thought about who might be the ones liking it. And after three months of considerations, I decided to give it a full trial.

It felt uncomfortable at first, flowers and aldehydes made me feel as if I were wearing an "old ladies scent", and as a matter of fact, my wife told me it felt "old". But after minutes it proved a very nice scent, I enjoyed a lot the whiffs of musky and powdery notes. Thus, IMHO, it is to be worn with care, more than one spritz on the chest will probably make everybody around the wearer aware that he is using a strong scent, thus generating much attention.

Include comments done by other reviewers so far and add the facts I described to its cost and the conclusion is obvious, Amouage Gold for Men is a "love it or hate it fragrance". In my case, I have the strong suspicion that Chanel Nº 5 delivers the same feeling that Amouage Gold for Men does, but I reserve these comments to the future for I have to test Chanel's most famous scent.

07th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 26th October, 2009)

andyman32's avatar

I just opened my Amouage Gold. I sprayed one spray of the vaporizer indirectly on my wrist - not even a concentrated spray - and my reaction as I walked in another room and sat in my easy chair was, and continues to be, WOW. I said to my wife, "Wow!" Incense... a menacing rose that finds its pure, true expression in Lyric... but all I can say is, WOW. It's loud, it's sumptuous, it's a proper sultan's perfume. It is awe-striking... sublime! Gold has spectacular sillage and endurance. A single spray will last all day. You wouldn't wear this for your own benefit; a single spray and you'll be sharing it with your office mates all day. But it is elegant, grand, impressive, as I said, sublime. It's like driving a Rolls Royce. You simply can't drive around in a car like that and not be noticed for the over-the-top grandeur and luxury. This is a Rolls Royce of all fragrances.

If you're a fan of subtle complexities and clever accords, this probably isn't your cup of tea. If you're impressed by, and enjoy, enormous brush strokes, bold colors, loud music... if you know & love Carmina Burana by Carl Orff... and you know your way around fragrances, you will absolutely adore this one. This is the Carmina Burana of fragrances. Take that for what it is. :)

(You may notice that I LOVE this fragrance, and am absolutely, without qualification, impressed by it.)

12th June, 2009

salim96's avatar

Oman Oman

The first time I sampled this one I did not actually like it and did not know that this was Amouage's first fragrance,
    Then I bought Lyric and jubilation and got a sample of Gold for free.
    Applied it once and wow it lasted for ages and the smell takes you out of this world, Bought in auction from ebay last week.

You can not go wrong with amouage!

08th February, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Amouage Gold (Crystal) for Men (EdT)

Top: rock rose, lily of valley, silver frankinsence
    Heart: myrrh, iris, jasmin
    Base: ambergris, civet, musk, sandalwood, cedarwood

Well, at least it crabs my attention right away. This is no boring fragrance.

Simply put this is a big and strong floral incense scent with very notable animal notes. Jasmine and civet can be quite challenging combination for many.
    Amouage Gold is very feminine scent, and although wearable by men too, I think this requires a certain type of a man with matching clothing too before the scent fits in naturally.
    But okay, of course you can wear this with shorts or jogging pants too, if that feels good for you.

This is very rich and luxurious blend. It smells very exotic and Arabian. I understand it is way too much over the top for many men.
    Personally I enjoy basically this juice very much, but I have no desire to actually wear it.

Drydown is quite powdery, almost lotion-like.

Amouage Gold Gentleman’s Cologne Spray (EdC)

Top: orange, lemon, orris
    Heart: jasmine, rose, geranium, ylang-ylang
    Base: amber, patchouli, sandalwood, silver frankinsence

This version is long time ago discontinued, and if I am not mistaken it was in production for very short time. It shares lot similarities with Gold (Crystal) EdT (which of course is still in production) despite the very different olfactory pyramid. It really does smell like a light version of Gold EdT

Much lighter this of the two, more subtle and not that powerfully exotic. Much easier to handle, overall. Very well blended with great balance. It is very round and complex but no notes that stand out particularly. It is an incense scent though, after all.

This develops same kind of powdery base that can be found in EdT. It’s more subdued and stays closer to skin without big sillage.

Amouage Gold (both versions) is very interesting stuff.

03rd February, 2009

sphinx's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Amouage is like caviar, it takes time to learn to taste it, to understand its value, to appreciate it and to feel its inner beauty. After years of being a loyal fan of Chanel Antaeus, it took me almost 2 years of trying and sampling Amouage. Finally I could feel the difference. There is no way back. All other fragrances can be, or are good, but Amouage is much more than just a good fragrance. Amouage is a classy part of who you can be and what you can feel. You must understand the melody first before you can dare to ask for a dance. I wear now Jubilation, Gold and Silver and my wallet is also much lighter since…

22nd August, 2008

InconcievableZen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Just like trotsky behaved in the Oktober revolution, like Caesar crossed the rubicon, like Lincoln and Davies declared the civil war, this is the opposite. Sweet, overpowering classy, aldehydes and civet are the main notes.

My mother commented on it 10 hours after application with 0,3 ml, saying she could feel it in the lungs, and it overpowered the entire room. This was after a night clubbing and a morning traveling. it has parfum strength. She loves this smell.

So, what is this? It is Mark Anthony declaring love to Cleopatra, and bearing children. Ruling and empire, and having mercy. It is about Fredrick the Great giving freedom of religion, sending letters to Voltaire, while Voltaire is having sex with his current lover.

Aristocracy, overstated mercy

04th July, 2008

mikey_p's avatar

My first experience of this was somewhat shocking, even to me. Now, I would like to think I'm an open minded kinda guy an I'm willing to try most things once as long as it is legal and it won't kill me (I even wear Carnal Flower with ease). However, even I was not at all prepared for the epic floral extravaganza that is Amouage Gold. The first blast of this was a floral explosion of such richness and yet such delicacy that I thought that no man could ever pull this one off. This is a shockingly beautiful melange of jasmine, tuberose, civet francinsence and musk like I have never experienced before in a "mens" fragrance. You have to be secure in your masculinity to wear this one, and I most certainly am. In the book "Perfumes: The Guide", this is described as a "Romantic Floral". Very apt..

01st June, 2008 (Last Edited: 18th July, 2008)

supermarky's avatar

My name is Supermarky and...and... I am a gold crystalaholic!

06th June, 2007

talish's avatar

an exceptional perfume, maybe the best in my collection, it carries with it the spirit of the desert. complex and rich, elegant and precious, yet not only for special occasions.
    almost the absolute best.

19th February, 2006