Positive Reviews of Gold Man by Amouage

Stardate 20171120:

A floral of bygone era. Lots of white flower and indoles. Aldehydes are the right amount here (not crazy like No 5).
A great solid juice.
Not going to be popular with men for sure.
Reminds me a lot of Joy
20th November, 2017
I only read the reviews for this one after testing it, and they had me laughing out loud; so many of you poor boys were horrified and insulted by this fragrance! I kind of understand the shocked reactions, but I definitely don't agree.

So on to the scent: The resemblance to Gold woman (which I own and love) is clear from the get go. There's a similarity in the bright, floral opening, which is dominated by a strong lily of the valley note. However, there's also a darker undertone present that I don't get in Gold woman: incense and civet are lurking around the corner.

The combined effect is properly stunning and for me both familiar and unfamiliar, which keeps me on my toes. Going forward, the scent seems to have two faces, alternating between Gold man: the floral-powdery-soapy-with-an-incense-twist-twin-of-Gold-woman, and Gold man: a reincarnation of a deeply animalic vintage floral.

The former is quite comfortable and familiar to me, while latter is a remarkable experience. In those moments I feel like I'm wearing something of bygone days that should come in a tiny crystal bottle with a hefty IFRA warning. It's probably the civet, which can't possibly be the real thing, but it's extremely convincing. It actually smells a little like Bal a Versailles, but with a more exotic undertone due to the strong incense base.

I think this stage especially fantastic, and it makes me want to try all the animalic vintage florals. My credit card is crying foul already.

So in conclusion: this is probably not for everyone, but do try it, it's quite the experience. It's also very potent, so handle with care!
19th October, 2017
This is, without a doubt, the thickest, most regal scent I have ever encountered. It smells like Arpege, but irradiated and then pee-ed upon by a roomful of civet cats. It is truly glorious. Rosey incense with pristine lily of the valley, all infused with the most unctuous of animalic civet. It is powdery, yes, but powder with a purpose--the purpose being to drug or stupefy the florals into the most heady, languorous repose. This is the scent of someone who does not work or toil, but merely exists in a glorified state while others scramble to do his or her bidding. Wow.
02nd October, 2017

I have sampled this on a number of occasions, and I still love it! I have tried to look for the 'too feminine' or 'too floral for men' element, but haven't found it. Yes, it is aldehydic, floral and with civet, but it also has frankincense, resins and possibly other more 'masculine' elements.

It is regal, unique and not for young boys. The right woman can surely also pull it off.

One spray is sufficient - you don't want to overwhelm your lover.

02nd October, 2017
Hmm. Yes, this is an outgrowth of Hermes Equipage with a Robe weaved in threads of Gold Thread. As it is worn the Hem is rubbed by my pet Civet. There is a vague urinous funk.

This is certainly the Cat's ass. I want some.
15th September, 2017
I am reviewing the current version of Amouage Gold pour Homme with the newer bottle design:

Amouage Gold pour Homme....so, I just received my bottle of Amouage Gold and I really like it. At first, I was put off by the up front rose/powdery finish however, after letting that dry down I was captivated. I have no reference to the women's version to compare nor do I have a hand on the breakdown of notes....all I know is-I like it! As a man, it is very different as well as something unique. Men, don't be alarmed at first spray thinking this is for women, allow the fragrance to settle and you will be glad you did! Someone mentioned in an earlier review that they had to use and come back a few times to really understand the fragrance...I second that! At first, it wasn't that I didn't like it, I was just trying to figure it out and it took a few wears before a verdict was determined. Verdict-very warm, soft, light and creamy; 6 sprays will last and will not be over powering to those around you. I sprayed four spritz on the neck (front, back both sides), one on the chest, and wrist (one wrist dabbed together) and I was great all day!! For some, this may seem a bit much, however, I think it is what I thought for this fragrance to work. Some may apply differently, this is up to you the wearer......Overall, a lovely fragrance for any occasion!

1/29/2016:

So, I asked my wife what she thought of this fragrance and this was her response...I get a unisex, yet powdery vibe from Amouage Gold Man. Gold man, gives off a rose even floral feel, but not sweet as one gathers from lavender type fragrances. Also, this fragrance gives off a light and fresh with a crisp soapy kind of aroma; Amouage Gold Man has a linen like drier sheet characteristic....
as I listened to her describe Amouage Gold Man, I couldn't help but to resonate with the linen type drier sheet quality that she nailed. Yes, it has that feel. In addition to what has been said, I would also associate this with Creed's Royal Mayfair, however less sharp in addition to Frederic Malle's Portrait of a Lady. These, IMO share a floral quality, however are unique in there own right
28th January, 2016 (last edited: 30th January, 2016)
I would never be without it...as the Amouage mantra states, "a gift for kings". Thats what you feel like, wearing MOST of their scents.
26th November, 2015
This is the most luscious, creamy civet incense floral around and if you love it you can never get enough. I wear it all the time and for every occasion--who besides celebrities and millionaires has formal occasions to attend? It smells like a pristine cream-colored bar of extremely expensive soap, and then it becomes rougher and crumblier as the civet, oakmoss, and patchouli dry out.

It requires a lot of confidence to wear it, because everyone around you (unless by some miracle you know another person with interesting taste in perfume in real life) will say you smell like baby powder and wish you were wearing something:

-with copious Iso E Super
-aquatic, Acqua di Gio

Ignore them. Amouage Gold is more beautiful than anything anyone else is wearing, and you'll know it. Don't let them pull you down. I don't feel like wearing Iso E Super fragrances all the time, and when normal people deliver compliments, 9 times out of 10 that's what they're complimenting. No.
02nd October, 2015
This is a tough one.

The opening heralds an extremely powerful flowerbomb on the brink of femininity.

Once it settles down on your skin, Gold Man embodies a rich and fresh bouquet of flowers, acommpanied by a thin cloud of incense.

A few minutes later, animalic base notes come into play and give this fragrance a soapy/powdery vibe.

Gold Man does not give a damn about gender roles. It smells like it has not been constructed for ordninary humans to be worn. It's rather something a Saudi prince would wear for his wedding. Perfumery in its most aristocratic form.

BUT if you decide not to give a sh** about anything today and wear it nonetheless, you will be rewarded.

High quality stuff.

Never exceed one spray.
20th August, 2015
Perhaps the greatest release from the house of Amouage Gold for men is a rich, dry luxurious chypre with a massive floral opening (lily-of-the-valley is what I mainly get), a magnificent, expansive and at the same time ethereal frankincense note and an immensely beautiful and mysterious drydown of musk, sandalwood, moss and patchouli. The overall tone is lemony, slightly sour and balsamic with a powdery feel and a dry vein. Civet is present but I don’t find it annoying at all and the repulsiveness or supposed femininity of the fragrance is much exaggerated. Certainly it doesn’t conform to the current “masculine” rules of how a man should smell, but I’d say that wearing this makes someone smell great so what is there more for a man to ask. I like Gold for a dozen reasons but mainly because it is a chypre and sophistication and elegance come naturally to this genre (although most men have difficulties in pulling the genre off), it exudes heavy class and higher ideals, it is highly original, distinctive and bold and it has a quixotic and romantic character. Most importantly though I am most impressed with the concept of making a fragrance for men that defies the stereotypical masculine smell and olfactory culture introducing something totally novel and provocative. Too bad most fragrances today fly low in all of the above. God bless amouage for releasing and keep making this perfume.
07th August, 2015
Being an Arabian style perfume, Gold Man makes cultural references that I fail to get;
but at the same time, knowing it was created by French master perfumer Guy Robert does make me wonder if it's not more of a pastiche than Persian gulf.

Its not a mixed fragrance in the modern sense, and its also not descended from the pre-twentieth century European style which had no definitive gender.

It is, on the other hand, a rich piquant rose dusted with sweet powdery iris. This is set within a dissonant structure that creates tension between the rugged base and its effeminate decorative overlay, and these mixed messages effectively deny a simple gender reading of Gold Man; strongly masculine and feminine signifiers are present making it impossible to put this scent exclusively into one camp or the other: it exists in both.

Not an easy wear then. This one is very demanding, and it's difficult to know how to approach it. Rather than being a challenge to be relished - in the mould of 3rd Man, or perhaps Insensé, Gold Man could be just too florid to be wearable by many western men. Its also possibly too masculine to be worn easily by a woman.

It's an original and very well made piece of costume perfumery, but whether Gold Man represents welcome liberation from restrictive gender codes, playful irony, or a threat to one's masculinity, must - in the end - be decided by those who can dare to wear it.

****
29th March, 2015 (last edited: 27th January, 2017)
ad_scott Show all reviews
On the beach in the Middle East...the essence of lavish sunscreen projects from the skin entwined with the scent of sandalwood cologne; warm wooden decking meets the sand with Jasmine flowers nearby.
The sun is almost unbearable. An Arab passes by smoking a tobacco pipe; behind him in the distance a spice vendor stands at his stall. White marble steps with a gold balustrade lead up to a luxury hotel terrace at the beachside...
11th February, 2015
Calling this scent a "floral and powdery" is as much of an understatement as describing the Sahara as "large and hot".

The flowers don't merely hit you, they run over you like a truck loaded with rose & jasmine crashing into your living room while you're unsuspectingly watching tv on a particularly hot and humid summer afternoon.

After several hours of unsuccessful scrubbing and wash away the stench you'll start to get the more subtle (if by comparison only) fecal and resinous notes. That is if you can still smell anything at all, of course.

Three of four tries later, you'll get a couple of important lessons:

1. Be extremely conservative on the application of this juice. Just like feeding a tiger, it may be exciting, but one wrong movement and it may rip your arm off.

2. The reviews are not kidding, this thing is special... Special like men who wear eyeliner and remain attractive to women. There are, of course, a few lads who can pull it off: middle eastern princes, mercenary Bedouins and the odd Hollywood-blockbuster pirate. But it would be best left alone by the rest of us unless you want to draw the funny stares that driving a camel to work on suburban Connecticut may get you.

Thumbs up? Well yes! the concoction is beautiful! It manages to be gargantuan and gorgeous at the same time! Sure, it has the power of an angry rhino trashing the perfume section at neiman marcus but after you get over the hell it raises in every nose downwind from you, you realize what a beautiful monster it is.
17th June, 2014 (last edited: 16th June, 2014)

Genre: Floral

Here it is: the most extreme turnaround in my opinion of any fragrance, ever. I begin with my original assessment:

“Egads! Honeyed cat pee. It must be arduous to extract and distil the urine of all those diabetic cats, which would explain the astronomical price. This is alleged to contain hundreds of ingredients, but to my nose it's civet, buckets of musty powder and aldehydes...and a little more powder. Civet + powder + aldehydic white flowers = The Cat Peed in Grandma's Closet. Bombastic and unbalanced for a full eight hours. Shocking as the flagship of the line that contains the marvelous Dia and Jubilation XXV. Oddly enough, the women's version is quite good on my wife. Go figure.”

What’s happened since? I’ve been sampling Gold on and off for years - have my tastes evolved so far? I suspect a reformulation is responsible, and for once, a reformulation for the better! Gold is still enormous, unsubtle, and intensely animalic, but it now strikes me as more nuanced and better balanced. The aldehydes and powder seem to have been toned way down, and the frankincense brought further to the fore. Where the “old” Gold was a musty, dusty, floral, the one I wear now is a rich incense fragrance with a bold floral overlay. Is it easy to wear? No. Does is it smell great? Yes. Once again, go figure…

2014:

My nose tells me Amouage Gold Man has been quietly reformulated since I came to embrace it several years ago. While the new Gold is by no means a shy fragrance, both the civet and the aldehydic floral accord have been toned down considerably since the new, rectangular bottles appeared. In its new incarnation Gold is more of an incense fragrance than a powdery floral, and I suspect many men will find this current formula far easier to wear than the original. The scent is still a blockbuster, still opulent enough to challenge American male sensibilities, but it’s no longer the over-the-top, Liberace costume piece it used to be. Still intact is the superb and tenacious civet and labdanum drydown, itself worth the price of admission, as far as I’m concerned.
09th June, 2014
What a diverse reaction! I've never seen reviews so evenly divided among the three ratings.

Because of its use of so many real oils as opposed to chemical equivalents, this has for me the effect of quality vintage perfume from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s.

The rose and the civet are prominent, but there are enough oriental resins (myrrh, frankincense) and animalic notes (ambergris, civet, musk) to secure the base. The cedar wood and sandalwood never overpower the floral/animalic, they simply float under it.

This for me is very unisex - woman CAN wear it, men MAY wear it. It is a "romantic floral" for men, as Turin named it, and its 4 stars are deserved.

A worthy partner for the original AMOUAGE GOLD. Too bad this range is entirely out of my budget arena.
17th March, 2014
This doesn't get enough love. I haven't tried the library scents yet but it's the best that I've tried from this company. The longevity is beastly.
04th May, 2013

Amouage Gold Man is an extremely classic manly floral that heralds immediately its uncompromissing "neutral soapiness " due to an holy initial rosey frankincense (a soon austere Amouage's warning landmark) plus a touch of bergamot. A starring oakmoss is soon noticeable since the beginning. The golden side is represented indeed by a soapy/animalic main vibe produced by the interaction of rose/iris, oakmoss, animalic elements (honey, civet, amber) and faint hesperides. The musky base features mainly oakmoss, than blond woods and ambergris. The outcome is a royal musky/floral "bath foam type and vaguely incensey" with jasmine/iris sparks at distance and the golden heady temperament. For the conservative tastes.
16th January, 2013
New formula review: 5 stars for one of the best floral for men out there. Not easy to wear due to it's animalic background. Go easy on the sprayer and you'll impress people with this!
18th October, 2012
After having read all the reviews on basenotes I never dared to sample this scent because I was sure it would be unwearable for me. Then I was given a sample of the shower gel which was so irresistible that it really took me in. When I finally got a boddle my first wearing turned out to be a revelation. I was suprised how very much wearable this perfume is despite its undisputable opulence and strength. This is defenitely not how I expected an oriental with this reputation would smell. There's almost no sweetness nor cloying amber or heavy spices you would expect from an oriental. It's bright and shiny floral and etherical with bright frankincence shimmering trough and a touch of amber, oakmoss and civet to give it depth and complexity. My first thought was soap. Like these handmilled french soap that you can buy in large irregular shaped blocks in south of France or a bar of soap you would expect to find in a old expensive Hotel in Paris. I has considerable sillage and staying power but, if treated with respect and with light application (1 spray under your shirt, not more) this is inoffensive and easily wearable and suitable for the office. People around you will not think of you as perfumed but rather as well groomed, having shaved with expensive shaving soap and having applied a generous amount of a high quality skin cream.
30th August, 2012
Opens with a gorgeous cloud of rosy floral notes with hints of lemony mimosa and lily of the valley glinting within it. But soon begins to settle into something a bit less alive and somewhat heavier. Where others smell baby powder, I get strong hair oil from the Indian subcontinent and the base of a legion of perfumes from a bygone age (probably the civet waltzing with the moss). I wish the cloud moment would last longer, before the greasy opulence begins. However, you will be hard pressed to find a comparable floral aimed at men which is this rich and yet perfectly balanced. I wear it once in a while and find that absence from Amouage Gold really does make my heart grow fonder.

15th June, 2012
My perfume pen pal brought this along for "show and tell" yesterday and allowed me to spritz some on. at first the big floral blast was a little off-putting, because as I've stated in many reviews, I'm not really a big floral person. He even mentioned that this was the men's version, which I found hard to believe...at first. However, within a few seconds I was starting to really like what I was smelling as it was obvious that the best materials were used to create it and once I considered the culture where this gem was conceived, I realized that floral notes, especially rose, are not considered "unmasculine". On my drive home I noticed that the scent had dried down to something more overtly animalic, with warm floral notes still weaving in and out. It was then that I could really see how this could be considered a masculine scent. As a woman this type of shape-shifting scent appeals to me. It's BIG and luxurious, so a little goes a looong way. I found it to be intriguing and full of surprises. Too bad I can't afford it, but I'll certainly be ordering a decant, so I can experience it again. You men want to get a woman's attention? Wear this.
16th April, 2012
I think the vintage version of this (it changed in 2007 or 2008 when they alterted the bottle) is the best men's fragrance ever formulated. It is a tour-de-force of classical perfumery; complex, rich, loaded with the very best ingredients and balanced to perfection by one of history's greatest noses. It has an outstanding jasmine dominated floral accord with aldehydes and beautiful frankincense, then there is iris and....well, everything else good. The concentraion is high and the projection and endurance are phenomenal.

No more feminine than a classic english masculine floral in my opinion, I would take this one to my desert island.

Glory.
04th April, 2012
surge Show all reviews
I love it -- at first spray it reminded me of a more powdery version of Jubilation XXV with more florals, but then as the drydown began it reminded me of something else...Rose 31!

I think this is a very elegant fragrance; Yes, it's powdery, and yes, it has Rose AND Lilly right in the top...however I do *not* get femininity from this at all.

I get soapy fresh incense with florals creeping up in the drydown; I get the feeling of royalty and desert sand on a private beach -- an oasis :D

I've smelled far more scents marketed as masculine that should be either feminine or unisex than Amouage Gold. I do see how some people can get "old lady" smell out of this though...it's just one of those memory recall things. I wish old people would stop ruining notes \ scents for us :( Although I did NOT get that from Gold, I got it from Noir De Noir (because of the Rose) -- the Rose in Gold is very very soft and creeps up during the drydown, unlike Noir De Noir which is in your face.
24th March, 2012
WOW! I love this scent and yes it is a "nuveau retro" instant classic!

I agree with the CHANEL #5 reference and I would add the "Shalimar for men" as it is quite soapy in the beginning.

Very pungent, strong and instantly recognizable!

A true golden STAR of a scent...I cannot stop sniffing!!

Instantly makes you feel divine and worth a million bucks!

MASTERPIECE!
16th March, 2012
My first sampling of Amouage Gold was in less than auspicious circumstances. During an especially tedious train journey, I decided to relieve my ennui with a perfumed daub of the wrists. What ensued was magnificent, epiphanous, and a treat for my rapidly atrophying brain. Not even the baleful stares of a small child opposite me - with two tusks of snot descending from his nose could detract from this wonderful experience. In my mind, I was somewhere else, somewhere in the lap of luxury, being pampered and preened.

It does everything you would expect from a hyper-expensive niche fragrance with the soubriquet "Gold". Served up in a gold garnished bottle - it is opulent, bombastic and a celebration of excess. Although the extraordinarily dense rose dominant opening is a real breath catcher, it is a simple creation, highly polished, and exhibiting remarkable radiance. Although the evolution is minimal, Amouage Gold is that very rare beast - a male floral of outstanding quality, and not in the least apologetic.

Gold is the consummate orator - you may not like what he says, but you have to admire the passion and the self belief
03rd January, 2012
An extremely classic humongous animalic floral enriched by the typical Amouage frankincense signature on top. Rose, mimosa and civet galore. Expansive, huge, extremely rich and definitely ostentating but so well executed that the only thing left is to sit down and enjoy its majesty. Surely one of most challenging and hardest compositions to approach in the Amouage regular range. Definitely not for everybody.

Me? I probably wouldn't wear it even if subjected to torture but it's still an outstanding composition.
10th November, 2011
I do smell the florals, but don't get a feminine vibe in Gold. I think it smells great, could be worn by any guy, and isn't dated at all. This is a far cry from the aquatic scents now dominating the marketplace, but smelling great never gets old. I like Gold much better than Jubilation, personally, but I'm probably in the minority.
26th October, 2011 (last edited: 13th November, 2011)
drseid Show all reviews
A weak positive rating from me for Gold Man. Gold is very floral with rose and lily of the valley notes to start, and then stays floral throughout all the way to the dry-down (which adds a nice helping of musk) I guess I have not noticed the civet note like others, as the scent only has a slight animallic smell to my nose. Gold is tremendously potent (and I mean POTENT), with super projection and sillage as well. Unlike some, I can indeed see someone pull this off as I do believe this is wearable from a male perspective. That said, it takes a *very* confident man, and probably most will feel a tad uncomfortable wearing this (myself sadly included). Nice effort, just limited audience appeal. 3 out of 5 stars.
12th October, 2011 (last edited: 02nd June, 2012)
I had no notion until I smelled Gold Men that I'd formed an image (fantasy) in my mind of what the old-school animalic floral/orientals of the early 20th century were. On smelling Gold Men, I realized that I had, and that this was it.

Sensational, huge powdery animalic fragrance. Now I understand why these old perfumes were both powdery and animalic. If you do it right, it's brilliant.

As spectacular a ride as the top and heartnotes of this perfume are, the drydown is one of the best I've smelled. It's there, softer and quieter than the topnotes, but it remains fully-fleshed and complete. The drydown isn't just a ghost of the heartnotes.

Gold Men is powerful and distinctive. Not for shrinking violets, not for somebody who doesn't want to be identified for his scent. Certainly not for someone who wants to read as contemporary in a pop or trendy sense. Gold Men is more a leader than a follower in this respect. It is one of a very few fragrances that I could wear forever and be utterly happy.
15th September, 2011 (last edited: 22nd September, 2011)
An intoxicating, kaleidoscopically floral animalic powerhouse, Amouage Gold Men is among my 3 favorite fragrances. This is not an every day fragrance unless you live a daily black tie and caviar lifestyle. The ingredients used in Gold are clearly superb and the evolution from the top notes to the heart of the fragrance is masterful. The drydown lasts for hours and is resinous, deep and redolent of oakmoss and ambergris. Don't let the negative reviews deter you from trying this great fragrance if you like opulent, rich, complex scents and if your masculinity isn't threatened by floral scents.
04th June, 2011