Reviews of Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Find out more about Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fruity Floral

I'm at a loss for words on this one. (And if you've seen any of my past reviews, you know how serious that is!)

More than Diorissimo, or even Eau d'Hermes, Le Parfum de Thérèse demonstrates why Roudnitska was a giant among perfumers. Ladies, if some mysterious dark haired guy is stalking you while you wear this, it's probably me. Just call my wife and she'll drag me on home. Utter glory!

19 June, 2014

Anosmia Amnesia's avatar

This fragrance is so beautiful that I had to blink back tears when I first sniffed the sample card. Totally elegant and feminine. What a knockout Therese must be.

04 May, 2014

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

fruity floral, it has my favourite plum:)

but not that strong spicy plum as in poison, this one in the company of melone, gives this parfume very feminine tone! so nothign for boys here!!

the leather here is like in Visa, you cant notice it.

the whole composition is very classy, femminine, for femme fatal!

09 October, 2012

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

LE PARFUM DE THERESE is predominantly floral but is far from the 'heady bouquet' territory with its highly elegant profile and very classy feel. No surprises to why it reminds me strongly of Diorissimo - both were composed by Edmond Roudnitska and share similiar DNA, especially with the noticeable presence of muguet which is not listed.

I'd dearly love to catch a whiff of its sillage but I reckon very few ladies have the poise to do it justice. Malle was indeed lucky to land this masterpiece; on the shoulders of giants, it stands heads above the rest.

16 October, 2011

BayKAT's avatar

There are certain things in life that mankind recognizes as 'master pieces', but when pressed we can't really say why. The Mona Lisa: why does this stand out amoung paintings in the Louvre, when everything there is so good? The Grand Canyon: why does standing on the North Rim always take your breath away when the world is full of wonders? Mozart: why is this music still relevant after all this time?

The answer is emotions. When we experience a master piece it is our emotions that are evoked, not our sight, hearing, taste or smell.

Parfum de Therese is an emotional experience. I've now worn it over a two month period, and each time i appreciate it more and more. There is something 'masterful' here, the play between wet ripe fruit, salty flushed skin, electrifying citrus and stable leather.

Parfum de Therese can't be described any other way.

06 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 September, 2010)

LaNose's avatar

I can sum up this fragrance in two words: an enigma. I'm not sure I "get" this perfume. At once, it is many things and nothing (special); it has great complexity and subtlety, but an exceptional whole does not emerge from it's constituent parts; the elements are not transformed into something special.

I know I am tempting the wrathful fates when I say that for me, Le Parfum de Therese almost grabs me, but then I slip through her fingers. I want to love her; she's got great lineage and backstory, but after several tries, I'm at a loss in my ability to love her. At the best moments she reminds me of Guerlain's Paure, but without its depth or breadth. At other moments, I'm reminded of Chamade.

I know that this is Edmond Roudnitska's final masterpiece and, in part, that's why I want to love her but, for now, I'll have to live with the reality of just liking her; not so bad..

07 June, 2010

memechose's avatar

One of the top 20 feminines of all times. If you knew me, then you would know how serious i am about this statement. An olfactive work by a genius in the later days of his career , when his creaticity became at its most empure (sorry no accent graves on this computer). I understand now Mr. Ellena, the prodigy learned his lessons from THE maestro...

02 May, 2009

Eliza's avatar

This particular perfume is for me. I love strong scents. After an hour it sits so well on the back of my neck (where I always apply). It's like an amber scent in that it mixes well with body heat. The ingredients blend so well, there isn't a big loud whiff of any one ingredient to my nose.

I think I smell plum. I love plum. I have canned plum butter from italian plums. The sweetness is tempered with whatever else is in there, really, it's a beautiful perfume. When I find one that works for me- it is such a joy. This is my leather fragrance that I was looking for (for so long).

18 March, 2009

Promethea's avatar

I was very taken with the story of this perfume and wanted to like the fragrance but I really don't - the mixture of fruit and aquatic gubbins is just not something I want to smell like. Shame - my loss and poor taste, I'm sure.

03 February, 2009

Chestnut's avatar

This soo beautiful and so totally not me. Very vivid, deep and transparent, feminine in a brilliant French way. I like the melon here, even though I don't even like the smell of real melon. The violet, another note I usually don't enjoy much, evokes the velvety texture as well as the chromatic vibrance of violet. I love the leather in this, which is very strong -- a real illusion of oiled saddle leather. The whole thing has a very Parisian, mid-century quality, like a technicolor movie starring Martine Carole. I'd buy some to wear at home for fun, but my husband doesn't like it, so it would have to be very occasional and clandestine.

29 October, 2008

ubuandibeme's avatar

Violet comes first to my nose, and wow, it's pretty! Perfectly sweetened by juicy ripe plums, I am reminded of the rich fruited notes of Christian Dior's Dolce Vita and also YSL's Yvresse(Champagne). The flowers, spices, grass, fruits, wood and leather are a symphony for the nose. Seamless and utter beauty...this is exactly how I'd expect a perfumers wife to smell!!! My favorite of the Malle label!

20th October, 2008

Jemimagold's avatar

The minute I smelled Parfum de Therese for the first time, I could tell it was created by Edmond Roudnitska as it is very similar in style and smell to one of my all-time favorites Diorama, which was also created by him. In fact, I did some digging around and had my hunch confirmed. Parfum de Therese and Diorama share a number of key notes which are: melon, plum and white florals.

In the actual testing of Parfum de Therese, I got a delicate orange blossom top note and then the buttery jasmine note that I love so much in Diorama came out and mingled beautifully together with rose and plum. I did not catch any cedar, vetiver or leather notes as others have and unfortunately there was not much sillage at all. Regardless, Parfum de Therese is beautiful, lady-like fruity chypre perfume that is likely to become a classic. Well done!

Per The Perfumed Court, here are the notes of Parfum de Therese: mandarine, melon, jasmine, pepper, violet-rose, plum, nutmeg, cedar, vetiver and leather.

19 June, 2008

pookerella's avatar

When it arrived on this summer day, I grabbed it out of the mailbox and immediately got into my car to go to work. I realized I had not taken any other perfume and this was it. Given a few random reviews I read, I expected to experience a heavy, potentially cloying perfume, especially for a summer day. At the very least, a perfume better suited for the winter. To my surprise, quite the opposite is true. It is perfectly suited for summer, light and very lovely. It is a tad sweeter than I expected but I don't find it annoying. Very nice, with a very French attitude. I like it and the men in my office seem to, as well! Works for me!

27 June, 2007

TaoLady's avatar

I received this as a sample from Malle and why they would part with a drop of it is beyond me. What a class act. On my skin, no notes predominate - it is a lovely rounded light floral sweetness that never cloys....a "lingering kiss" as Purplebird7 says. If Vibert stalks me, I ain't gonna call his wife - I'm going to hang onto a man who appreciates a "masterpiece" like this. Definitely FBW.

15 May, 2007

LadyAnne's avatar

Scotland Scotland

I adored it initially, and got tired of it. Contrary to others, I find this a little heavy for me.
    But on the plus side, and it is a big plus, - it lasts and lasts, and the sillage is noticeable.
    Loved having it, but wouldn't buy another bottle.

14 February, 2007

kewart's avatar

Definitely one of the most unusual perfumes I have ever had the pleasure to inhale. I find it very "yellow" (although I can't really explain what I mean by this!!) It is really mellow and sunny and succulent - just lovely.I would wear this to happy occasions such as weddings or summer balls.To me it smells very similar to mimosa at the start. It is the epitome of French chic and a true masterpiece by one of the greatest perfumers pf all time - Roudnitska.

16 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2011)

purplebird7's avatar

Breezes off the skin, cool and clean. Fruity, mainly melon. Floral, lots of violet. This perfume is "all heart" literally and metaphorically speaking. Long after the top notes are gone, the middle refuses to relinquish its grasp to the base. I may smell some grassiness from the vetiver, but a crisp leather provides the only heavy counterpoint. It is as if Edmond Roudnitska created this as one sweet, lingering kiss for his wife. Stunning. A bit too airy for an earth-lover like me.

23 October, 2006

tinker424's avatar

I completely agree with helg. I want to like but the melon is overbearing. Not for me:(

01st May, 2006

Tovah's avatar

I find Le Parfume de Thérèse to be astonishing. It transports me to other places. If I wear it to bed I dream of romantic things like a Victorian summer home on a still, cerulean lake, or a courtyard of a Spanish villa at dusk...On my skin it becomes a manifestation of memories and desires. I don't want to describe the notes of Le Parfume de Thérèse, because, for me, wearing this fragrance is an experience and an enchantment. It's a work of genius; a masterpiece.

24 April, 2006

moon_fish's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Yes, I`m with Opalsdad saying that Le Parfum de Therese smells alike Diorella, but more feminine (me thinks that it has more plums and melons, maybe more artificial than vintage Diorella)!
    And yes, it is multigender scent to wear by either men or women. As almost all parfums made by Genius. Wonder how Frederic Malle make this gem alive again - archives of perfumers are always such a mess and some ingredients of past gone and forgotten...
    Great legend about one person parfum - but for me it does not work as it is Diorella with a twist. Anyway - great fragrance!

26 November, 2005

helg's avatar

Why am I not impressed? Why does the fact that it has behind it such an illustrious heritage ( the last unedited Roudnitska ) and romantic story (dedicated to his wife ) failed to convince me? Why have I not succumbed to the innvation of the scent ( a fruity-floral with a marine accord in the 50's)?
    Simple : fruity and aquatic are not for me. Period. Nice frag but not for me.YMMV.

06 October, 2005

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Le Parfum de ThÈrËse is my favourite FrÈdÈric Malle scent: a unique combo of fruit, floral, spice, wood and leather notes. Elegant, yet very sensual scent, somehow full of love. The late, great Roudnitska created it for his wife who for decades was the only person allowed to wear it. The scent wasn't "published" until after Roudnitska's death.

05 February, 2005

donna255's avatar

Northern Ireland Northern Ireland

Parfum de Therese is wonderous!!!! Created by the same perfumer as Femme and when I first tried I got the link. Warm fruits lush and ripe give way to smooth soft leather. Edmond studied with the great Ernest Beaux and it shows. Therese has hints of Chanel's Cuir de Russie. This fragrance does not feel modern but classic infact timeless. The best of the Malle range

26 November, 2004

opalsdad's avatar

This is one magnificent fragrance! It is somewhat similar to Diorella but has its own flavour. The scent of plums and leather gives it an unusual edge and it could be worn by either men or women - in my opinion. All of M. Malle's are made with the best ingredients available and it really shows in the quality of this and the other scents in the line. Roudnitska was a great perfumer and it is wonderful to see a new creation.

04 August, 2004