Reviews of Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Musc Ravageur (2000) is an interesting and very successful attempt at making musk without a typical white musk molecule, removing the "laundry" aspect of most modern musks and creating something oriental, fatty, and animalic like the musks of old. Having smelled deer musk, this is by no means that kind of smell via vegetal proxy, but it is a wonderfully sensual musk in it's own right, full of the loudness and performance all the "beastmode" power fragrance fans crave. Due to it's aggressive nature, Musc Ravageur leans very much male, despite being genderless in composition, and this is due to sociological conventions. The average self-identified CISHET woman would likely find Musc Ravageur too rich, overtly-sexual, and lacking subtlety; that's not to say there aren't some ladies who love headstrong fragrances (they were the rage in the 70's and 80's, with fragrance gender lines blissfully blurred back then because of it), but on average, strait guys looking to troll for dates at clubs and bars seem the likeliest purchasers of Musc Ravageur. The biggest obstacle to this being made reality however, is the prestige price point of the average Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle composition, which rival Creed at MSRP and keep Musc Ravageur from stalking all but the most exclusive night clubs. The notoriety of Musc Ravageur is also a bit undeserved, as it's not the horniest animal in the woods, with stuff like Kiehl's Original Musk (1963) or Serge Lutens Muscs Koublaï Khän (1998) flogging it senseless in the virility department, for those who care about such things.

It's probably for the best that only the "upward mobility" segment would dare drop cash for this, because I can see Musc Ravageur becoming suffocating in the way Jovan Musk for Men (1973) used to be due to it's former ubiquity in social settings. Malle making this a pricey rare bird ensures that instead, Musc Ravageur is always a pleasant, if provocative surprise when encountered in the wild. Technically speaking, Musc Ravageur is an oriental, and not a musk, since it contains none, but the immense impression of musk it leaves is far better than most things containing the actual molecule. Lavender and bergamot are very expectantly the top here, but in moments they give way to a huge clove and cinnamon tandem that is the heart and shapes the rest of the experience. If you don't like either of these in abundance, then Musc Ravageur is not for you. Heaps of vanilla and tonka in the base do the rest to shape the "musk" accord of Musc Ravageur, flanked by woods like cedar and sandal which dry it up just enough to keep it from smelling like dessert, which it almost does anyway. Gaiac wood and linalool add the final touch of woodsy floral spiciness which "browns out" the dry down of Musc Ravageur to an aura of thick bakery spice and sweat combined with an aromatic untreated wood finish. Sillage and projection are on levels you'd need Neil DeGrasse Tyson to figure out, and longevity is "until you wash it off" levels of good. I'm saying all this from just 2 sprays, so if nothing else, Musc Ravageur may actually be worth it's price just for sheer performance, and a 100ml/3.4oz bottle of this should provide a lifetime of bakery meets jock strap next to a lumber yard ambiance.

I like Musc Ravageur, but similar to most scents in this category, I don't see myself aligning with the Type-A personality and blunt intent needed to enjoy what this offers more than once or twice a year, meaning that for me, this isn't a full bottle purchase. I do give this a thumbs-up as one of the better musks in the game (even if it doesn't contain a musk molecule), and certainly one of the few Frédéric Malle releases that doesn't feel like an outright fleecing for its price tag, since performance is even greater than what the usually-impressive Creed ambergris bases offer (for comparison), with a drydown of spice-laden vanilla and tonka that never ends. Penhaligon's Endymion (2003) would offer a lighter, more manageable version of this experience, with much less projection and a more finite lifespan, at less than half the cost to boot, so if you feel Musc Ravageur is a bit too much, then that is the route to take. As for everyone else, if you're looking for a high-end, over-the-top sweaty oriental cream chowder parading around as a funky musk, this is the dog that'll hunt, just be kind with your sprays, as a little goes a very long way. Keep this one to winter time and do not torture your coworkers by showing up to the office smelling like a musky husky pretty please, although if you work outside, I guess it's okay to wear, I just definitely see this as a fragrance meant to help you "score". Some say original 2000 vintage is even stronger than the better-mannered new production I'm smelling, and that's a legend I frankly don't want to test. Hats off to Maurice Roucel, you got us real good with this one, and you would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids and their dog.
18th October, 2018 (last edited: 19th October, 2018)
I have the reformulated version, and I swear, if the rumors are true, I would have set the world on FIRE had I sprayed the original! This is some serious "beast-mode" (to pull from the forums and FB groups) stuff, and I'm just a girl (giving props to Gwen), and NO! I cannot pull this off!

Holy MOLY! What in the name of Batman's left toenail is happening here?! This is like everything "the guys" say they want: massive sillage, longevity and sexuality...

I am amazed that Victoria's Secret hasn't found a way to carry this in their little shops. Here! Have a thong and some MR, and you're all set for your after dinner plans!

WOW! Just...WOW!

I'm going to give it a thumbs UP - but ONLY because it really commits to its legendary status. I didn't know...I just...didn't...know.
31st July, 2018
An interesting option for those who find Jicky too sedate.
29th July, 2018

I've had a difficult time giving a thumbs-down until this fragrance.

Perfume is more than projection and longevity... and a fragrance should be a harmony of accords, not a basic vanilla to synthetic musk watered down by 39-C.

I like to stay positive, however I find the profile very two noted and linear.
25th July, 2018
Has the barnyard/zoo smell mixed with good vanilla in the opening. That lasts for an hour before the animalic smells start to die down. You’re left with a unique vanilla that has a sexy vibe because it is so daring and has to be worn with confidence.

All day performance and good projection.
30th April, 2018
Manao tupapau (The Spirit of the Dead Keep Watch) by Paul Gauguin
03rd March, 2018
I sampled it today... the reformulation is Not worth the money.
23rd January, 2018
11.

Thou SHALT respect THE
Plastic cinnamon diapers
But SHALT NOT wear them.
05th January, 2018
This is a fragrance of the very top drawer.

I am 17 years late to the party. That is my loss.

There is something very sexual about Musc Ravageur. While marketed as unisex I really see this as a male fragrance. To me, this fragrance represents a man who is confident in all aspects of his life. There is an air of arrogance about it. It is unique and you will almost certainly stand out from the crowd. I think this would work better on a man aged 30+. One of my new (but old) favorites. Just could be my favorite of all time. Totally addictive and extremely sensual. Both shocking and opulent. Just fantastic!!!!

07th December, 2017 (last edited: 14th November, 2018)
miserable musc and vanilla, a sick joke!
05th December, 2017
********REPOST********

I must apologize for my (maybe) misleading take on this:

My expectation was a bit different upon first trying this and I am not sure if I was ready even prepared for what I initially received. Within this fragrance, one has to allow to macerate. Give this a bit of time, if judged on the onset, you will be surely disappointed, however if you allow some time I believe you will appreciate what this fragrance has to offer. I believe I might have express dislike prematurely without allowing Musc Ravegeur to develop on my skin with time and patience.

After going back to this, giving Musc Ravegeur a full wearing my thoughts have changed slightly;

Musc Ravegeur is a nice gourmand spicy, ambery fragrance. Maybe I didn't give this enough a of a chance in my first initial wearing, however.
Soft, animalic with some vanilla creaminess...not woodsy but floral with a touch of sweetness. Not sure if I would rush out to get a bottle, however I can say the pendulum has swung!!

In my previous review my sentiments somewhat remain, however modified. I still get the rough stringent (urinal) aroma up front, however with many fragrances sometimes that is detected in the initial spray. That stringent blast does not remain very long. Overall, a nice fragrance!

************Initial Review:*************

[So I maybe the only one who thinks this fragrance smells.......Um, um (what's the correct word here I am looking for) stinky?!?! I've read that for some this reminded them of urine in the initial spray.....BULLSEYE!!!
I thought it was just me thinking this. Don't get me wrong, Frederic Malle has some great fragrances, however in my humble opinion Musc Ravageur is not get the rave reviews I suspected!

I had never smelled Musc Ravegeur before but have heard so many raves about it! I am not sure what to think; vanilla, spices [cinnamon], and woods [cedar]. Right away I get those notes followed by some lavender and bergamot. However when these are mixed together...el nopie nope!

In the end, all that is left is vanilla and spice, perhaps more vanilla than spice! To me this smells dated, almost like something a grandfather would wear. Gourmand yet, slightly dark and ambery-ish is what comes to mind!
Glad I only have a small sample; equally glad to have given this a try;]
07th November, 2017 (last edited: 13th November, 2017)
It's impressive what perfumers can do. They don't always bottle what they say they are or they can create an effect, an accord.

One such example is Musc Ravageur. You'd be forgiven for thinking this has musk in it, or even any of the dodgy associations some have suggested the opening of this scent contains.

Ultimately, the effect the lavender/bergamot combo creates in the opening, combined with the spices of cinnamon and clove (in true Malle style) from the heart, it's very easy to mistake Musc Ravageur for a musk or animalic powerhouse. Yet it is what it is. And to the untrained nose it's easy to be fooled into thinking there is nothing there.

This is a true gourmand. Slightly powdery, ambery (vanilla & tonka bean dry down), spicy and long-lasting projection monster. Fans of Egoiste should take note as this has a structure that's surprisingly similar. It isn't a replica by any means, but the similarities are hard to ignore.

It definitely projects but doesn't get cloying if you know how much to use. Less is clearly more with Musc Ravageur. Don't be tempted to over spray unless you want to head for the shower later on.

All in all the fougere comparison is also justified as it ticks all the boxes, but the added spice and 'harsher' smelling opening make it far from a traditional aromatic fougere.

Expect this to last for weeks on clothes and fabrics from any version. So be sure not to wear the same clothes with another scent the next day as you'll still smell of Musc Ravageur!
18th October, 2017
Because I am not a fan of gourmands or of sickly sweet fragrances, I cannot like Musc Ravageur, and believe me, I have tried. The top notes always fool me into thinking I can wear and enjoy this scent, but nope, the dry down gets more and more cloying and claustrophobia-inducing, and soon the cinnamon and syrup and stickiness becomes too, too much, and off I go to the washroom. I love the lavender and I love the actual musk, it's the cloves and vanilla that kill me in this one. I have occasionally smelled this on a person standing a ways away from me and then I can almost (almost) enjoy this cinnamon bun of a fragrance, but if it is anywhere closer, I cringe.

I would move far, far away from any male wearing this scent. To a different building, preferably. This is the ultimate-trying-way-too-hard-to-be-sexy frag.
01st October, 2017 (last edited: 14th November, 2018)

In its current state, Musc Ravageur smells to me mostly like a classic fougere, lavender over powdery tonka, with some poopy, plasticky musk underneath and a touch of cinnamon and sawdusty sandalwood in the background and a shot of vanilla for sweetness. It's perfectly nice, like Caron's Pour Un Homme with some gourmand elements thrown in.

It should be said that, when I compare my new sample with one from about 10 years ago, there's a rather striking difference. While the current version is fine, the old formula has everything the new has, but is also resplendent with warm honey, funky rum, burnished woods, and pie spices, and has the animalics turned up to match their richer surroundings. I think the old version is required sniffing if you can find an old sample, the kind in the red card.
24th August, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The musc I get from beginning to. Initially freshened up by a traditional-style bergamot, but soon the sweeter stages commence, with a pleasant cinnamon that has a slightly spicy undertone.

The base denotes the complete surrender to the sweeter desires, when rhe musk is enveloped in a shell of sweet tonka richness, with, at times somewhat generic, woodsy undertones - mainly cedar on me - in the background.

The sillage is strong, the projection superb and the longevity a sensational fifteen hours on my skin.

Whilst no longer the wild beauty of yesteryear's original version, this remains to be a deliciously scrumptious wintery gourmand musc creation. There is no pretense of delicacy here. With thick and heavy brushstrokes a voluptuous and velvety fragrance is born, an unpretentious and direct, and at times full-on, vivid olfactory desert is served. This product displays sensationally stellar performance. 3.25/5.
10th December, 2016
I would say only one thing if you are among the lucky persons owning a vintage bottle: forget the new reformulation.
And if your old bottle contains some drops, or more, of the vibrant almost living dense masterpiece it was, please keep it in a safe: Musc Ravageur has changed and there is no hope of smelling its primitive form anymore. My neutral review is due to this. So, in detail:

Thumbs Up (and more!) for the vintage
Thumbs Down for the new
29th November, 2016
I have a good-sized sample of this that should last me a lifetime, synthetic-smelling musk and vanilla, similar to Coromandel, although not as good. It lasts a long time, and the longer it lasts, the better it smells; somewhat of a Frederic Malle house trait.
18th November, 2016 (last edited: 20th November, 2016)
a spicy, musky,powdery slightly animalic fragrance.

this one starts off with cloves and cinnamon. the cloves starts to decrease leaving room for the cinnamon, musk and vanilla to take over and transform the smell into a border-line gourmand with a slightly animalic feel. it is also powdery. this fragrance lasts very long. i could still smell it on my skin almost 24 hours after application as a creamy white musk. this is one of the fragrances that i keep exclusive for use at home. its not a go out scent for me.

8.2/10
10th November, 2016
The name I've associated with the house of Frederic Malle while becoming interested in fragrances is undoubtedly Musc Ravageur, yet I've managed to not try it out for two years until today.

Musc Ravageur seems like it has a heavy dose of labdanum, despite the note's absence from the composition. Otherwise, it opens with lavender, has a heart dominated by cloves, finishing with a lot of powdery tonka. I find that the sharpness of the lavender in the opening outweighs the powdery aspect of the tonka in the

Performance is solid, so even if you love this, it's wise to manage application carefully, as it's on the high-end of EDPs in terms of both projection and longevity.

It's in the same vein as a much superior fragrance like Chanel Coromandel in that both smell of cosmetics/makeup (as do Dior Homme Intense and Chanel Egoiste, to my nose), but Music Ravageur falls a little short in the composition in that it leans toward the "old person" scent in a less desirable way.

It's not bad at all---I quite like it---but I have already found superior alternatives that are more affordable, the most notable of which is the abovementioned Chanel Coromandel.

Pricing is pretty prohibitive if you don't really love it, at retail (through the Frederic Malle website) of $270 for 100ml or $185 for 50ml.

7 out of 10
07th November, 2016

Excellent stuff and very complex fragrance. High quality musk accord and cloves done very well. Subtle projection and longevity of about 6 hours is enough for me.
Well done FM!
11th October, 2016
Excellent quality, projection and longevity. It is the perfect blend of animal, sweet and spice. Very wearable and always garners compliments from the opposite sex...highly recommended, even at the price.
24th April, 2016
Really not a fan of this. The opening made me wince, although eventually it settles down in to something more manageable. Great projection and longevity though.
07th April, 2016
Nothing filthy to this, despite various reviews--either that or my skin just east skanky notes. It's a very good sweet musk scent with floral notes in it. It isn't as dark as SL's MKK, and it certainly doesn't have the skank level of vintage Bal a Versailles parfum. I could wear this anywhere.
06th March, 2016
I went to Barneys to get a sample of this. I heard so many good things that I had to try it. On first spray I was sure they gave me the wrong one.

Nope

It's not traditional (which I like), but it's just very "old lady-ish". Not in a sweet flowery way, more in a musty unsettling way.

Every month or so I try it again, and I have started to find it a little less offensive every time, however it remains something that I do not want to smell like.

Edit: this one is starting to grow on me. Not quite enough for a thumbs up. It is way too potent at first but after about 4 hours it mellows to something I can actually enjoy.
04th March, 2016 (last edited: 08th March, 2017)
This fragrance sneaks right into your underpants and leaves you feeling slightly dirty...and smug about it. Take Satan's gym shorts, and Mick Jagger's sheets. Add a night in a smoky bar in a distant city, some dark red lipstick, and a cab back to your hotel in last nights cocktail dress. It's bad news all the way to it's core...and there is no way to resist it. After two hours, it's a skin scent...but you catch a whiff, and you'll remember last night's heathen mischief with that bad, bad man.
20th January, 2016
Now I'm an oddball in perfumery terms - I dislike everything about "classic" masculine scents, the dry, the astringent and the woody. I'm a long way out on the unisex spectrum too, and am willing to wear things a lot of other men would find too challenging. In fact I think what other people describe as "skanky" or "animalic" in perfumery just equates to "warm" in my mental lexicon.

Now what about this stuff? Well, I love it. It doesn't say "dirty" to me at all. I'll agree that it has a certain Barry White edge to it - it's not an office fragrance, nor one I'd wear to a family lunch, but it's a rich aura of living, breathing, heart-still-beating aliveness. It's not by any means a slutty reek of "shove me up against the nearest wall" (not that I won't be looking out for a scent like that to add to my collection too). Something in the heart of this - I think the clove and cinnamon - is a dead ringer for Estee Lauder's Youth Dew (a favourite of my beloved grandma's), which makes it a comfort scent for me as well. It's rich and heady and warm, projects beautifully, but nowhere near as overwhelming as a powerhouse like Youth Dew.

Its longevity is jaw-dropping. It's still detectable after 36 hours and two showers, which I guess just shows you that Mother Nature goes all out to promote reproduction. Well, tell us something we didn't already know.

In conclusion? I happen to be a pagan, and the part of me that hates how uptight we are about sex in this society and would welcome a return to thinking of it as just something we human animals do is utterly delighted by this scent. However, the part of me that is well aware how quick others around me are to judge based on arbitrary and petty things also advises using with a degree of caution in the wild...
13th September, 2015
I was excited to try this on, but unfortunately I was let down. I could see how this fragrance could work for someone else but did not do the trick on my skin, in fact some might say it smelt kind of gross on me. However, I did find the fragrance to be unique. Certainly very musky, and I did not smell much vanilla or cinnamon when I wore it. Maybe it is be different on someone else. I enjoy woody fragrances but this one smelt too woody and musky to me and made me feel queezy. 5/10
03rd September, 2015
I love oriental, vanilla, and spice fragrances. However, I put off testing this because I thought it may be too masculine (even though it is listed for both male and female).

I love this! It is warm without being sugary sweet, and the cinnamon is fairly potent on me. It has a similar feel to Hermessence Ambre Narguile but without the strong gourmand presence.
27th July, 2015
This stuff is just really bad,smells like there is some cat piss in it.Just cannot stand this at all....
08th July, 2015 (last edited: 18th July, 2015)
Salutation.

Deliciously weird stuff!MUSC RAVAGEUR is definitely one of the sexiest unisex perfume i've ever experienced.A unique,oriental and mysterious scent will grab your attention might miss its mark for unisex appeal,this is a winner.it makes for a sensual experience that tingles your intelligence as much as your sweet tooth.sensual and sexy in a classy way. more than two sprays of this will land you in trouble,so be very careful when applying. Sweet, Hot,Provocative,Irresistible,Sophisticated,Rich, Strong and Attractive.

This should definitely give you a shock when you first try the fragrance,after marveling at how unusual this opening is,you'll soon notice cinnamon in the heart.the notes turn sweeter and warm by vanilla and amber.the result for men is a very good evening getter for the ladies.intrigues woman that walk near you and leaves a unique lasting impression and the result for women is a sexy smell that just makes she want to bury her head in his neck and take a deep breath.Yes an absolutely winner in both the men and ladies.perfect for a hot winter night.

Sillage?Excellent.