Reviews of Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Find out more about Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sjg3839's avatar

Initial spray is to medicinal (clove). The base and the drydown is very good. But for the price, you may come out better purchasing Meharres. That way you get MR ' S base and drydown from beginning to end. 8/10

13 June, 2014

blackheart2925's avatar

India India

fantastic vanilla and cinnamon with some lavender and a hint of clove! and a tiny, tiny whiff of animalic note which soon vanishes!

dont know where people are getting the urnial notes or the civet or stink, on my skin this is a lovely vanilla and cinnamon with lavender...maybe i should try overspraying a few times on the same spot on see

maybe those who this smells animalic, maybe should try smelling some really skanky hindi out? :)

still on the fence on whether i want a FB of this or not :(

wondering if shalimar smells similar to this

EDIT: Ok i do get the civet/urinous note but very tame one. and the drydown is killer! Vanilla but not the cupcake type and something really awesome that i have never smelled before! On the old tshirt or pillows or bedsheets, after 24 hrs the scent that is left behind is pure heaven!

Going to be my next FB buy...cant wait to get a 100ml of this in my hands.

04 June, 2014 (Last Edited: 01st July, 2014)

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a really nice fragrance!
    The opening may shock you and you hate it at the first sniff.
    It's very strong dirty and almost medicinal smell with sharp spicy note and noticeable sweetness in the background.
    There are some green notes too, but very light in the background.
    In the mid, that dirty smell started to decay and sweet smell become much stronger.
    The sweet notes are vanilla mixed with strong cinnamon and while there are no coco and coffee notes in the note break down, I believe it does have coco and coffee notes as well. It's very warm, sweet, sensual and delicious.
    In the base, the smell didn't change that much. you have this strong sweet, spicy, coffee and chocolaty smell till the end.
    Projection and longevity? are you kidding me? it's insane! very strong and long lasting fragrance.

01st June, 2014

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

How curious I was to test this and how disappointed I am after sampling it , I cant say I hate it but One thing I can surely say that I cant stand it even for a few minutes , furthermore, proper blending of CIVET is not every perfumer's thing, I love Civet in Kouros which is blended in honey by One of the greatest perfumer ever.

Musc Ravageur starts from the heavy dose of synthetic notes of Amber and Cloves (eugenol) with a hint of Lavender which makes it sticky sweet and cloying, suddenly Animalic notes of Civet kicks in this is the stage where the problem starts, IMHO it has not been handled properly and it transforms into a play-doh like smell and a very out dated stuff which has a huge silage.

Both thumbs down for this.

20th May, 2014

Mr. TL's avatar

This provocatively delicious gourmand took me on a scent-filled journey to…eh, who exactly am I trying to kid? Smells exactly like a $5 bottle of Palmers cocoa butter after a couple hours. First hour on my skin reminded of Carmex lip balm, mixed with a baby that needed to have its diaper changed.

04 April, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Uhm... no for me. I get the musk (plus a sweet woody tonka accord) and sadly I get the "ravageur" completely. Frankly a bit too flashy and tacky. Gets better (i.e., calmer and more wearable) in the drydown.

19 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2014)

Emperorofscent's avatar

Musc Ravageur Is not for the Meek, It starts with cloves and Lavender making it strong in scent but there is something about it that lures people in to your world. I wear it because i love it. I wear it to bed after a shower! Thats how i know its for me first. Those that happen to ask what are you wearing, end up love the story behind the scent as well as the notes and how they change so much. The end of this is a masculine Vanilla its very fatherly with out being creepy. Just smells like someone you feel safe with. comfy. A master piece. Opening and base note are night and day. love that change.

09 November, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

An overall good fragrance with both high points and flaws

If you've been part of the fragrance community for a while, you probably know what people were saying about this one. It's hate or love. It's romantic, sensual, and sex-in-the-bottle. It's strong, powerful and daring. It has a strong controversial clove opening that you won't like but dries down into something truly special. This has been the hype. However, as I've tried it, I've personally had a totally different perspective on it.

First, that opening. Yes, it is strong. It has cloves/civet/musk/etc, lavendar, a blast of citrus, and the sweetness of the base. The opening is certainly a bit dirty and animalic, but not nearly as much as I expected it to be. It's overall well balanced and pleasant. Sure, it's not for everybody, but the opening to me is the high point of the fragrance. And keep in mind, I usually don't like old school powerhouses.

Despite all the claims how this is sex personified into a fragrance, it's rather tame. This especially comes true when the opening is gone after the first hour and the dry down comes in. Rather than continuing into that dark territory, it simply retreats into being a very safe fragrance. Not saying I would want the entire fragrance to smell like the opening, but I saw the transition as some sort of condemnation against the wonderful opening.

And in that dry down, it is a pretty good fragrance, but nothing truly special. It's vanilla with some cinnamon and spices sprinkled on, as well as a bit of a smooth woody note. They aren't composed in any meaningful way, nor are they deliciously gourmand, but rather they are just there. The transition between the opening and the base was among the best part, but after that it becomes rather boring. I would honestly prefer the conceptually similar Tobacco Vanille at drydown.

While strong in the opening, after the first few hours, while it does last a very long time, it's very hard to detect on the skin. 2 hours of insane projection followed by 20 hours of insanely weak projection is not ideal. As for versatility, while it is no swiss army knife, I still think it can be versatile (and not a special occasion only scent). Just spray lightly.

And, as for the whole "sex" description of this fragrance. I think it's different things to different people. Fans will say it's hot delicious passionate sex. Critics will say it smells like an old man or an old lady. Both of these perspectives, a bit extreme in my opinion. I don't agree that this is THE scent for seduction, but it does have some sort of romantic sensual vibe and if you asked my opinion of a fragrance of that nature, I probably would nudge you in that direction.

To me it's not something that I hate or love. It's not controversial or extremely rewarding. The first two hours are impressive (though not shocking or bold) and the remaining hours are pleasant (though not amazing). In the end, it is a very good fragrance. Recommendable? Sure, but sample before you buy.

Musc Ravageur is definitely a feral sex-loving man-beast. But one that is tranquilized, chained and bound inside a cage (and whether this is a good thing is up to you).

09 October, 2013

mercutio's avatar

Dirty, sexy, sticky. I love it

This masterful witches brew can only be described as thick and sticky. This is kind of a bad comparison; but I feel like Pépé le Pew when I wear this(hear me out). I can just walk into a club and know that I stink, but I stink so good and I know you want me. I feel like everyone's french lover.

Definitely not a daytime scent. More like a club scene fragrance. It's hard to discribe what I love about it so much. I can understand that some people find it too heavyor unlikeable, but I think they just didn't have anywhere to wear this bad boy. It's gotta be the right time, right place, right man kind of situation. Wear it with pride. Be unapologetic and most of all proud and over-confident.

Good luck.

Pros: Unbelievable projection. I can guarantee no one will smell like you
    Cons: Not for all. Needs to grow on you"

08 September, 2013

IAmKing's avatar

Musc Ravegeur

I purchased a bottle of Musc Ravageur in Barneys New York. My verdict- I Love this Fragrance. This parfum possess everything that I look for in a fragrance: warmth, spiciness, and a little dirty.

The beginning: a very sharp bergamot, almost Lavender-ish opening

The middle: turns into a burnt vanilla (not sweet) amber wood

The end: a musky wood vanilla-amber base

I wouldnt say this a very dirty fragrance, but it does tend to linger on the sensual side.

Longevity is superb as it stays on you 8+, with the next day the musk lingers.

Projection is excellent depending on who sniffs you. The younger the crowd, the less likely they will like it.

11th August, 2013

OdilonRedon's avatar

Soho, London, 1985. After the club shuts down, the clubbers gather at the all-night patisserie for coffee, pastries and gossip. Everyone is crammed together in the queue, hot, sweaty, over-sprayed with heavy 80s perfumes. Chocolate croissants and cinnamon danish are being devoured. Nobody wants to go home alone.

Musc Ravageur is a warm, dressed-up vanilla pudding of a scent. It takes a couple of minutes for the pudding to emerge from a rich, erotic fog of hot animal, but (too) soon all that lusty funk vanishes and you are left with rich, dense cinnamon, vanilla and tonka which eventually turns to a sweet amber. On my skin it isn't structured or subtle and the patisserie middle is exhausting, but I do like the morning-after glow of the dry-down.

08 April, 2013 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2013)

Card Board's avatar

Germany Germany

Opens with a lovely lavender tinted bergamot, and quickly gets down to business with a salty vanilla musk--a very good and rich one. Definitely on the carnal side, certainly towards animalic. Thankfully it is not nearly as over-the-top as Muscs Kublai Khan, although it does call MKK to mind (in fact, this may be my gateway to finally being able to appreciate MKK, we’ll see). Woods register in the brighter end of the spectrum but remain subtle in the mix. This is a sensual salty sweet and slightly woody musc through and through, with great longevity (detectable as more than a skin-scent for 8+ hours) and projection, and silage that is decent or better. It is not vulgar, but certainly suggestive, falling on the erotic side of "sensual."

20th March, 2013

's avatar

I would have originally given this a thumbs up but the more and more I wear this stuff the less I am impressed with this. I am apart of the group who does not like the clove opening and it takes a crazy amount of time for that to die down. Learned my lesson of buying a frag for only liking the dry down.

21st January, 2013

Explorador's avatar

Vulgar and uninteresting.

12 January, 2013

mnaonbn's avatar

Musc Ravageur opens with a few minutes of moderately intense anisic lavender hovering above a very soft, smooth, and creamy vanilla. Then, the lavender mellows but remains easily detectable, and the vanilla intensifies, but because it is aided by musk, it stays very smooth and creamy, all the while hanging alongside a pinch of cinnamon. Of course, this lavender-vanilla accord (like the lavender-oakmoss accord), evokes a typical fougère style and has become ubiquitous in perfumery (e.g., see Le Male, HM [from Hanae Mori], etc.). Ultimately, although the perfume is very well done (as is to be expected from this brand and the perfumer), it is largely unoriginal. Its greatest accomplishment is the exquisite smoothness and creaminess of its vanilla, which I think is largely due to the assistance of the musk. Perhaps this is why the word "Musc" appears in the name of this perfume even though the note itself is not a focal point.

30th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2013)

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

It's not that bad, but certainly is not that "great" either! I went to Liberty in London and I was decided to buy two Malle's fragrances and I have to tell you that Musc Ravageur was one of them (just for the reviews - cause I've never tryed it before)! The result? I bought the wonderful Carnal Flower and the delicious L'Eau d'Hiver (not mentioning the fact that my girlfriend hated this Roucel's fragrance)!!!  MR is only ok to me! And for the first time I agree with Luca Turin - "THIS ONE IS MORE FLASHY THAN GOOD!" Longevity (kind of cheap drydown) is enormous here! And if the "real deal" is the projection/ longevity, I really prefer Carnal Flower - because you need more than personality and the desire of smell huge to wear this one!

12 October, 2012

AndyTauerRocks's avatar

I can see why this would not appeal to some, however the overwhelming smell of burnt rubber is really appealing to me. As King Slender says this juice is a weapon, a real weapon of mass projection, so go easy with this one, as too many sprays will have you reaching for the gas mask, you have been warned!! Dirty, Musky, Sexy, Vulgar, Beautiful

11th September, 2012

Duke Hunt's avatar

As a so-called rich “oriental for grown ups“, Musc Ravageur is permeating with a sexy, playful flamboyance and a certain je ne sais quoi that only the French do best. Unfolding with a deceptive opening which has Maurice Roucel’s stylistic handwriting all over it, it’s a stark contrast to the eventual evolution, as it slowly and progressively weaves its magic into a lusty siren of a fragrance.

Beginning with a mouth watering and tantalizing cool icy bergamot and tangerine, set against a broad backdrop of lavender, the surprise to come of rich woods, musks and spices are yet to make their full entrance to the boudiour, although they remain subtly present.

Never the less, it’s not particularly “dirty” at this point, but there are some very slight medicinal under currents attributed to the musk, which may equate for the *gasp* “old man smell” association which many seem to be mysteriously picking up. I don’t find the animalic/skank/(insert word here) particularly challenging or off putting, but rather intriguing, since it adds a certain element of mystique and French haute-naughtiness.

Though I do personally find the musk rather fleeting, which is prominent in the opening, yet remains elusive as the scent progresses, rendering the name almost a misnomer at times. Whether this is down to a probable cause of being anosmic to the supposed variety of musks used is anybodies guess.

Next up comes the focal point and everybodies favorite part of the strip tease, when MR turns unapologetically gourmand and begins to purr like a kitten. Unfolding with a creamy-kaleidoscopic warmth of the sweet (vanilla) and spice (clove/cinnamon) enveloping the wearer like the proverbial cashmere blanket, cozy,dependable and comforting.

Staying on this course for the majority of its stay, before slowly unwinding and settling down to lightly woody, ambery base with the rich vanilic sweetness remaining the dominant player. Delicious.

MR gives off a warm radiating projection, if not a little flamboyant, but without becoming vulgar, the balance of control remains impressive I must say. In closing I find the overall scent seriously seductive, decadent and immensely sensual, with the journey towing the fine line between aggressive and restrained, yet managing to pull it all off with some serious class, swagger and charm.

A perfect definition of a genderless fragrance, this one works equally well on a man, woman or beast and although a victim of hype through no fault of its own, it still remains mandatory testing for a new comer to the world of niche perfumery.

25 August, 2012

BeenThereSmeltThat's avatar

Sorry friends, just got Loud skin cream. . . in fact i have smelt skin creams that have a better fragrance than this. :/

Drydown is 9/10 but is extremly jarring compared to the top.

04 August, 2012

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

There is a blast of fresh lavender and bergamot in the beginning. Very soon it settles down with vanilla, wood and musk notes. It is a well executed dry-down with vanilla and musk as the dominant notes, but in a hot and humid climate (as here in Bangkok) it becomes almost suffocating and one feels the need for a bit freshness as counterbalance.

I suppose it works well in colder climates, but to me it is too sweet and musky for the tropical climate.

31st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2012)

teardrop's avatar

England England

l get bergamot in the opening, immediately followed by a wonderfully animalic accord, which dominates this fragrance for most of it's duration. After a while, l get whiffs of saltiness, clove & vanilla, & after an hour, what smells to me like labdanum. After three hours, l begin to get dirty musk & amber, & when l wake in the morning, thirteen hours after application, there are still traces of musk & vanilla on my arm.
    My impression of this fragrance is one of warm intimacy, kind of how the ideal lover's skin would smell. On me it wears very close to the skin, enhancing the intimate feel. The dirtiness reminds me of what l love about Kouros on my bf; in fact, l *have* to get him to try this one...
    A very sexy fragrance, perfect for those special private moments, & not safe for work!

11th June, 2012

King Slender's avatar

We all have our own opinons obviously... but I really can't understand those who think this is a bad fragrance. Musc Ravaguer is FANTASTIC! One of the most impressive parfums that I have come across in its genre. A warm, sexy, smooth scent.. masterfully blended by Maurice Roucel. With notes of lavender, clove, cedar, tonka, vanilla & more.. MR is a sort of weapon. Yes, this scent is mature.. but any guy 25+ can wear this given he has the style and personality to match. It's not "mature" in an Invasion Babare or BD'Portugal way.. but it's the polar opposite of lets say, a Ralph Lauren Big Pony. It's not for kids. It isn't cheap either.. but it's worth every penny if you ask me. I have heard MANY people say that the top of this fragrance is overwhelming, and it is the dry down that is the main feature; but I find Musc Ravaguer to be impeccable from top to bottom. Projection and sillage is very good.. longevity is good (8-10 hrs). If you specifically want a fragrance that is going to make HER drool over YOU... this is it son.

10th April, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Musc Ravageur is a very nice scent indeed. For the most part the scent pyramid posted on this review page is accurate based on my experience with it on skin. It opens with a blast of natural smelling lavender with just a hint of bergamot to balance it out. The heart notes emerge rather early, where a nice cinnamon and clove combo of about equal proportions mix with a very nice musk note that does not overpower or smell too "dirty". The dry-down consists with the musk dominating, supported by hints of vanilla, gaiac wood and remnants of the clove/cinnamon combo from the heart notes. Projection is about average and longevity is excellent.

As to my feelings about Musc Ravageur, I find it to be an extremely well-rounded musk scent that is much more wearable and versatile than most (if not all) of the others I have tried. Roucel has balanced the scent from start to finish near perfectly, and in its category this has to be considered the reference in my book. This, and Villoresi's Musk are my two favorite musks, but Musc Ravageur is more of a "true" musk scent, so it wins the tie-breaker (in a category that I don't care much for as a general rule). To musk scent lovers who can afford it, this is a must smell (and buy), to all others it is worth a try at least to experience what a master can do with musk. It is superb, earning 4 stars out of 5.

20th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2012)

Thomas-the-Promise's avatar

Excellent vanilla winter warming scent that opens with a dirty clover musky note, then dries down to something more aromatic warm, vanilla, woody, cinnamon-y, rich honey without being too sweet with a long glow from an open fireplace.

Radiant! Very Christmassy and Classy! Generous, rich, and seductive!

It really IS the "Shalimar for men" but funnily in the dry down it envelops you like a cashmere dressing gown!

Luxurious.

14 March, 2012

lex's avatar

This is a well made potion that i consider in the elite class of scents. A big price tag but damn musc ravageur is an experience. High quality musc seduced by a not the average vanilla. Ive gotten use to women almost catchin whipflash when they pass me by because musc ravageur shines.

10th March, 2012

papelet's avatar

My first review, well comment, has to go to Musc Ravageur.
    Been reading here and other fragrance websites for about 4 months now, I like BN the most and decided to sing up to comment on M. R.
    I'd love to explain what I get from this monster but my nose is not trained enough to pull the notes many of you guys get, or perhaps is just M.R.? Don't know but this is what I get:
    Passion, Lust, love, sexiness, confidence, darkness, you're the man, you own the night, the ladies want you, etc.
    I close my eyes, smell this fragrance and think: Playboy Porfirio Rubirosa probably wore something like this when he wanted to conquer the hearts of the many lovers he had.
    3 thumbs up for M. R. because I don't get from any Tom Ford, Creed, Bond No. 9 (I hate most of them), etc, what I get with Musc Ravageur.

22 February, 2012

FumeHood's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Cozy Warmth in a bottle. Settles down very quickly to a silky cinnamon and vanilla amber and is far less about the musc on me. The base is beautifully blended but overly reminiscent of oriental extremes like Musc Kublai Khan (richer) or Ambre Sultan (dryer) to feel earth-shattering, however I certainly understand why it is so popular amongst those a bit scared of taking more extreme measures. The sweets and sweat keep the amber sensual throughout. An easier-to-wear scent that is all smooth and cozy and whose naughty side is very faint (maybe a little civet with the musc, but nothing overwhelmingly dirty). I probably wouldn't wear it to work but that says more about my work (a school) than any overtly sexual or skanky vibe emitted by this fragrance (which frankly, I was sort of hoping for more of from all the fuss!) Still, I can't allow that to keep it out of thumb's up realm; it's still good juice.

13 February, 2012

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar

It's been awhile since I stepped out of my comfort zone, but since I am bored today and I haven't worn this in awhile, I picked it up and put it on. I was absolutely not ready for the adventure that this scent has taken me on.

Suddenly, I am Mata Hari in a film noir movie from the 1920s, with Ofra Haza's song "Kirya" playing in the background. I'm slinking down a back alley of the spice bazaar on my way to a supper club to perform.........my perfumed veil blowing behind me and a loaded gun hidden in my bejeweled bra. I might simply dance like Salome, or I might seduce and then kill someone, who can really say on a night like this??

Seductive
    Dangerous
    Mysterious
    Esoteric
    Exotic are just a few of the syllables that come to mind

If this fragrance were an oil color, it would be alizaron crimson. It if were a texture, it would be vintage silk velvet. GORGEOUS!!

02 February, 2012

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

The Scent: Right off the bat i smell amber and tonka i believe,not bad but im prepared to wait 4 hours for the drydown. About 3 hours later,i can smell the resemblence to a cinnabun. In hour later its like a cinnabun with spices and the tonka is still their.

I have been putting alot of use to this masterpiece,to make sure it wasnt all hype and it is what its suppose to be " A Masculine Scent " or " The Romantic Guy Scent ". I will only wear this for a romantic setting and im pretty sure this sample can hold its ground for the right time..and perhaps buy a full bottle which will last me forever.

27 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2012)

halomatic's avatar

Belgium Belgium

This one rules.
    a scent with a courageous personality.
    in your face as it is.
    Where your words are thinking again, this fragrance is shouting out loud what you are thinking. Sex. again.
    But don't let the shouting mistake you, the voice that goes with this scent is sexy and warm, deep and clean, amber and musk.
    Tricky though, you beter wear this aura when you're selfconfident!
    otherwise this scent will quickly take the lead and rule over you

25 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2012)