Reviews

Negative Reviews of Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Curious gross fatty smell with an angelic powdery veil, and a metallic note.

Doesn't ravage so much as set my teeth on edge.
04th May, 2015
How curious I was to test this and how disappointed I am after sampling it , I cant say I hate it but One thing I can surely say that I cant stand it even for a few minutes , furthermore, proper blending of CIVET is not every perfumer's thing, I love Civet in Kouros which is blended in honey by One of the greatest perfumer ever.

Musc Ravageur starts from the heavy dose of synthetic notes of Amber and Cloves (eugenol) with a hint of Lavender which makes it sticky sweet and cloying, suddenly Animalic notes of Civet kicks in this is the stage where the problem starts, IMHO it has not been handled properly and it transforms into a play-doh like smell and a very out dated stuff which has a huge silage.

Both thumbs down for this.
20th May, 2014
Mr. TL Show all reviews
This provocatively delicious gourmand took me on a scent-filled journey to…eh, who exactly am I trying to kid? Smells exactly like a $5 bottle of Palmers cocoa butter after a couple hours. First hour on my skin reminded of Carmex lip balm, mixed with a baby that needed to have its diaper changed.
04th April, 2014

Vulgar and uninteresting.
12th January, 2013
Sorry friends, just got Loud skin cream. . . in fact i have smelt skin creams that have a better fragrance than this. :/

Drydown is 9/10 but is extremly jarring compared to the top.
04th August, 2012
Out of all the fragrances that I've owned or sampled. I feel there is too much going on. You have woody, smokey, incense, sweet, and on top of all that you have musc. It doesn't really fade away either, to a dominant scent. It smells very medicinal too me, like those old chinese herbal stores.
07th October, 2011
It begins very sweet and cloying, and frankly loses me right there and then. I like sweetness only when I think it's balanced.

Naturally there is bias, as I wouldn't mind over the top spices, resin or green fragrances that would choke other people. Sweetness is what makes me call for some citrus, bitterness, smoke or something contrasting.

This is in essence a gourmand musk, which sounds like a terrible idea to me. This combination also cost me Caron's 3me homme, which employs gourmand musk in its composition. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but to my nose it is also very cloying and it almost physically blocks my nostrils.

Subjectivity is what matters here, so a thumbs down from me without regret.
23rd May, 2011
I really, really wanted to like this, but unfortunately Musc Ravageur was a miss for me. I have read and watched countless reviews on this fragrance, building the anticipation to when I could finally get my hands on a sample. Though the sample came broken and spilled, the dried up product on the envelope was all I needed to determine that this was not the scent for me. As I keep smelling it, all I get is an "old man smell." I really wanted my first niche fragrance to be out of this world. Maybe next time I guess.
29th November, 2010
I tried MR and asked female co-workers what they thought, and most did not like it. I don't like it either. I'd pick Aventus over MR for a niche frag. I'd pick Pure Malt over MR for a sexy frag. They both get more compliments. For the price tag, there are many better frags out there.
04th November, 2010
All I get on my skin is vanilla extract. I must have defective skin.
19th April, 2010
everso Show all reviews
doesn't live up to the hype. the musk in here is very very weak, and someone aptly pointed out the other day on the forum that this smells like cinnamon buns....SO TRUE. not worth the price or the hype. there are much better musk scents out there.
07th December, 2008
I thought I was going to love this. I am all over musk and many heavy hitting fragrances, but this fragrance seemed like a ruined mess to me. I have a general aversion to top notes, especially citrus, and this dearie blasted them out. The sweetness was cloying...it actually stuck in my throat! The muskiness, from the woods and tonka combines, fell a little flat, and seemed a bit nutty,which was not pleasant, reminding me of old, cheap shoes. Their bite got lost in the citrus for me, which seemed to sour on both me and DH.

If you want a dark, sweet musk with no "modern" topnotes, please try BPAL's Snake Oil, MKK, or even, and yes I dare to say it, Coty Wild Musk.

This does not at all live up to the hype. I passed my sample on.
08th April, 2008

This does not at all live up to the hype. I passed my sample on.
08th April, 2008

I was expecting much more from this scent because of the fact that I love musk. I guess I don't love all types of musk. The vanilla note after the drydown was the only pleasant note I could find and even so, I still find that note more effeminate.
05th July, 2007
One of the most disappointing fragrances I tried in a long time. For all the hype, I am not at all impressed. Far too strong, dries down in a fairly citrusy musc that is strong but lacks character. It's too heavy from beginning to the end and definitely unattractive. It's the ultimate men or women repeller if you'd ask me. I wouldn't even dream to wear this on a date unless I really cannot make the person get off my back. Wear this smell and at least this problem is sorted:)
27th October, 2006
This was a big disappointment for me. I really wanted to like this one based on its praise and popularity here, but something about it just didn't click with me. It reminded me of A*men's drydown but with a citrus accord replacing the chocolate. I'm not very fond of prominent citrus notes (especially orange) blended in Oriental scents ala Hanae Mori and John Varvatos. Not only did I find Musc Ravageur disappointing, but I had to wash it off because the lingering citrus note annoyed the heck out of me.
10th October, 2006
blech! i had high hopes for this one. i figured anything sold exclusively at barneys would be excellent. not so. this smells like i dabbed some cooking vanilla on my wrist. what a waste of money even for just the sample.
24th May, 2006
This smell is not good. I had to wash it off within 20 minutes. It smell exactly- And I mean identical- to that cheap perfume "Tabu" that you can get at walgreens. And that will only cost you about $15.00. Thank goodness I got a sample 1st!
04th April, 2006