Neutral Reviews of Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Find out more about Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jumpfrog's avatar

What's all the hype about? After an hour, all I get is vanilla with a bit of chocolate. That's it. Very disappointed.

17th August, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

Initial spray is to medicinal (clove). The base and the drydown is very good. But for the price, you may come out better purchasing Meharres. That way you get MR ' S base and drydown from beginning to end. 8/10

13th June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Uhm... no for me. I get the musk (plus a sweet woody tonka accord) and sadly I get the "ravageur" completely. Frankly a bit too flashy and tacky. Gets better (i.e., calmer and more wearable) in the drydown.

19th February, 2014 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2014)

's avatar

I would have originally given this a thumbs up but the more and more I wear this stuff the less I am impressed with this. I am apart of the group who does not like the clove opening and it takes a crazy amount of time for that to die down. Learned my lesson of buying a frag for only liking the dry down.

21st January, 2013

mnaonbn's avatar

Musc Ravageur opens with a few minutes of moderately intense anisic lavender hovering above a very soft, smooth, and creamy vanilla. Then, the lavender mellows but remains easily detectable, and the vanilla intensifies, but because it is aided by musk, it stays very smooth and creamy, all the while hanging alongside a pinch of cinnamon. Of course, this lavender-vanilla accord (like the lavender-oakmoss accord), evokes a typical fougère style and has become ubiquitous in perfumery (e.g., see Le Male, HM [from Hanae Mori], etc.). Ultimately, although the perfume is very well done (as is to be expected from this brand and the perfumer), it is largely unoriginal. Its greatest accomplishment is the exquisite smoothness and creaminess of its vanilla, which I think is largely due to the assistance of the musk. Perhaps this is why the word "Musc" appears in the name of this perfume even though the note itself is not a focal point.

30th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 12th January, 2013)

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

It's not that bad, but certainly is not that "great" either! I went to Liberty in London and I was decided to buy two Malle's fragrances and I have to tell you that Musc Ravageur was one of them (just for the reviews - cause I've never tryed it before)! The result? I bought the wonderful Carnal Flower and the delicious L'Eau d'Hiver (not mentioning the fact that my girlfriend hated this Roucel's fragrance)!!!  MR is only ok to me! And for the first time I agree with Luca Turin - "THIS ONE IS MORE FLASHY THAN GOOD!" Longevity (kind of cheap drydown) is enormous here! And if the "real deal" is the projection/ longevity, I really prefer Carnal Flower - because you need more than personality and the desire of smell huge to wear this one!

12th October, 2012

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

There is a blast of fresh lavender and bergamot in the beginning. Very soon it settles down with vanilla, wood and musk notes. It is a well executed dry-down with vanilla and musk as the dominant notes, but in a hot and humid climate (as here in Bangkok) it becomes almost suffocating and one feels the need for a bit freshness as counterbalance.

I suppose it works well in colder climates, but to me it is too sweet and musky for the tropical climate.

31st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 02nd August, 2012)

Matt14's avatar

first off...i would hands down give this a thumbs up IF my gf liked it. No joke, i got yelled at by her for wearing this...haha.

i have received mixed reviews about this fragrance. every guy i've let give a smell has said that it smells really good and they would buy it if it weren't for the price. but almost every girl aside from a few here and there has said it smells like "old man".
    honestly i could care less what people think, if i want to wear MR, im going to. for the days that i care about what the ladies want to smell, i'll wear something more cliche like YSL.

anyway...for the top notes which last about 10 minutes on my skin, i get a lavender smell along maybe a wood kind of smell?

second note which lasts about an hour or so on my skin. smells like barbasol or a very generic smelling shaving cream with other notes, but the clove over powers everything. smells pretty fresh but heavy at the same time if that makes sense.

third note which lasts another hour to hour and a half on my skin starts to smell a little better and the vanilla is starting to come in. i also get a little hint of a wood kind of smell and the clove is very feint.

final note which is the best of all and lasts another 10+ hours on my skin. no joke, it lasted 2 days on my skin and i showered twice in between. anyway the final note smells like vanilla and maybe a hint of amber or something? idk what tonka smells like so i cant say if it smells like that. the clove/barbasol smell is gone or so feint that you cna only smell it if your nose is on your skin.

definitely worth getting a sample and trying out a couple times. for some people it'll grow on them, some will always hate it and some people like the scent throughout all the phases.

28th November, 2011

Wrappedinglory's avatar

I'm anosmic to musks, most of them anyway. So with Musc Ravageur I smell mostly a huge, enormous amber, which I usually dislike, but I love the way it's been treated in this case. It's loud but not too disturbing, and somehow different from the mainstream, which is something I always appreciate. I used to love this perfume, but in the end the amberzilla started to annoy me. As much as I love the whole concept behind the Frederic Malle line, I still haven't found a perfume of theirs that I really love. Shame.

03rd November, 2011

forfreddie's avatar

I have tried this numerous times in both the oil and the EDP.
    I see the appeal with Musc Ravageur I do, I love musk, my recent sample of MKK has sent me a bit loopy for animalics. MR is not a typical musk smell, I dont pick up any animalics in here at all.
    Once sprayed, and the slightly cinnamon/clove spice settles, MR feels a lot like an oil, not literally of course, but it wraps around the skin and doesnt project too much, it feels silky and sensual. There is vanilla, amber and a well blended combination of spices which are quite difficult to pick out individually.
    However, my concern is this:
    One time I cooked a salmon dish from a recipe... I am getting somewhere I promise. Anyway, I had to mix a load of corn oil, with one vanilla pod and the beans, 2 star anise, black peppercorns and some bay leaves, I left this overnight which was to be used to cook the salmon in. This oil... is Musc Ravageur. Trust me. Musk ravageur is a vanilla, slightly spicy/herby scent with very mild anise, with the scent of corn oil as a base. For this personal reason, my thumbs up slips sideways... The literal oil smell is too potent for me and makes me feel unclean, not in a typically dirty/raunchy/animalic way, just literally a little greasy.

06th October, 2011

The_Cologneist's avatar

Ridiculously overrated. But artwork nevertheless..

I am not a fan of musk based fragrances, so that impacts my opinion of this. MR opens with a strong animallic musk note (smells like diarrhea). After about 2 hours, the musk falls to the background, and the spicy notes become more dominant (although noticeable in the opening). Clove, clove, clove, and a dash of cinnamon.

Four hours later.. MMMM. This is what people wait for, and what people love. Many consider this to be 2 or 3 fragrances in one, because of the fact that the note sets seem to project very well in each phase. 8 hours in, and it's projecting as much as it was in the first hour. With that said.. the base (and my favorite part) smells of amber, vanilla, cinnamon, and tonka. Very creamy, sweet, sensual, high quality. Although quite common.

Quite common base in terms of smell. Cuba Hollywood is quite similar, and a tiny fraction of the price. Of course, the quality is not as good, it's not as smooth either, but I would rather save the money. Not to slander MR, but the final smell is very common.. reminds me of a fragrance from the Playboy line as well, and D&G The One.

In conclusion, I would say that if you don't like musk, ya may wanna avoid this one. I do give it props for being 2 or 3 fragrances in one. But, if all your after are the base notes, you can do much better elsewhere.

27th September, 2011

Bartlebooth's avatar

A slightly cloying chocolate texture remains throughout MR, as though the notes existed within quite a narrow format. The accords are earthy and shifting, but all maintained within a very limited range. I would not say that I extract any great pleasure from wearing MR, it is more a case of spending time with a comforting presence.

09th April, 2011

Bigsly's avatar

I shall now wax poetic about the wonder and majesty of this incredible concoction, the proverbial nectar of the...

Okay, that's the kind of thing I'm tired of hearing. If you like these kinds of strong ambery fragrances, that's fine with me. I can see the appeal, no doubt. I have plenty of fragrances with a little amber, but that's all I can tolerate. The complexity just isn't there for me; perhaps it's being overwhelmed by the sweet, heavy, syrupy amber. And perhaps because of this, I find it very similar to Ambra by Etro, so close that I see no reason to buy both (and I got Ambra for a very good price).

Now it may be that I can't really appreciate the differences because of the overwhelming amber, but this is the best I can do in terms of a review, and I have a feeling at least a few other people will understand what I'm trying to articulate here. I avoid top notes as much as possible and so this review is about the drydown. If I want musk, I'll dab on some old Brut 33. What's the point of having musk up top (if it's there; I didn't detect it) and heavy amber in the drydown? Is the top for personal enjoyment and the base for "making a statement" to others? If so, that's makes sense, but it's not what I seek in a "personal fragrance."

28th March, 2011

WeSmellGood's avatar

I got Vaseline in a bottle.

27th March, 2011

JonB's avatar

Musk Ravageur is more about vanilla, and cinnamon or cocoa than it is about musk. Musk is barely detectable in the blend. This should be advertised as a gourmand rather than musk. I find MR to be ultimately boring.

20th October, 2010

Kaern's avatar

I bought this when it was first launched as the top notes are wonderful. I always felt slightly uncomfortable when I wore it though. The musks are fine, but in the end everything is swallowed up by a huge, jarring overblown amber. Be warned.

25th November, 2009

bokaba's avatar

Overall Musc Ravageur is a gourmand niche take on musk. The opening is a non-chalant expose of bergamot, citrus, and white flowers followed by a spicy, edible heart of carnation, cinnamon, vanilla, rubber, and possibly nutmeg. The base notes reveal a little bit of clean musk and surprisingly…more vanilla. Decent, but probably not worth the over $100 price tag.

10th November, 2009

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Blame it on the numerous positive comments ranging from supportive to enthusiastic, I heard and read about Musc Ravageur, but I was so disappointed from the very beginning. I was expecting something more musky and exquisite and I just got a nice sweet scent instead. Perfumers sometimes, in their effort to create scents that stand out and actually make the difference, come up with interesting but strange and misleading blends, and I think this is the case for MR. Strange opening (sorry, no bergamot for me, just a sweet and oily lavender note) that leads to a loud cinnamon spice heart that gets better with time. Not great though. I can see the use of cinnamon as a way to innovate, give power and some longevity to the blend, only I am not sure it will please the majority of Musc lovers (they will have to search a lot in order to find a note that resembles to musc, at least at its usual form). The base is quite pleasant but fails to project its woody character. More feminine and definitely not sexy for me.

18th October, 2009

Johnson73's avatar

Musc Ravageur smells nice, but I don't find it particularly musky or ravaging. Vanilla and cinnamon seem to be the main components here, although the musk is present in the base. Really, I find Musc Ravageur to be remarkably similar to Shalimar, and I would recommend the eau de parfum of the latter over a bottle of the former if one were to choose a between the two. Musc Ravageur is a good scent, but I don't think it quite lives up to the hype bestowed upon it.

14th August, 2009

glitteralex's avatar

Have to say, I am not wildly impresssed with this at first. It seems odd to me that there is spice sandwiched between a rather skinny top and base...clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, seem oddly out of place in a citrus/lavender with a thin white musk. More to come as I retry....

27th June, 2009

tuffpup29's avatar

Received a sample of this in the post but think it must have bee wrongly labeled - I got the most gorgeous smell of one of my favorite flowers, Lilies. So think the must have actually sent me Lys Mediterranee. If not then I must have the weirdest nose...

I've given it neutral simply because I don't think I had the right one, but I did love what I was sent and will be trying to smell some of both to see!

15th December, 2008

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

One of the biggest niche classics ever, I guess. Lots of cinnamon and civet in the opening - it can be a bit offputting if inhaled too deeply.

Yes, civet. Although it`s not listed as in official notes, it doesn`t take that much of a nose to smell that this one has civet in it. It`s very obvious after all.

No doubt this is a masterful blend technically speaking : The balance is a miracle and it smells very chic (when applied moderately). Cinnamon and cloves predominates, while the tonka beans and vanilla make the composion very sweet, very powdery. Dash of smooth woods in the base. And lots of that civet from start to finish.

Well done, but it`s not for me or my lady. I basically should love this one, but the ultra sweet powderiness with strong animalic presence makes it very unpleasant in the end.

Highly recommended for everyone to try.

08th November, 2008

Joe_Frances's avatar

Opulent, decadent, theatrical, sweet and strangely pungent, this is one wild fragrance! If I went to a perfume museum, I might spend time admiring this. But if someone said, "How about wearing this?" I would have to say, you've got to be kidding! This goes best with opera pearls and elbow length gloves. If my wife wore this, I would feel a little sheepish in the restaurant as the waiter would likely give me a funny look. Wear this to work, gents, and people will talk.... a lot.

21st October, 2008

Asha's avatar

Malle Musc Ravageur and Renee Musk Comparison

Left hand: Frederick Malle Musc Ravageur (Oil)
    Right hand: Renee Musk

Musc Ravageur--It has been a really long time since I have smelled MR, and only now have I had access to the fragrance again. For some reason, I thought MR was closer to MKK, but now it doesn't seem that way. At the start, I smell sweet musk and spices. The musk is like other sweet synthetic musks I have smelled, and I actually don't think it is super special. What is more special is what is with the musk, in this case, I smell cinnamon, clove, and maybe some nutmeg. It is the pumpkin-pie 1-2-3 punch, trio of spices. I suppose if MR had a little bit of fruityness, it really could be a pumpkin pie fragrance rather than a musk, but I digress. It is either fading fast, or I am getting nose fatigue. I don't detect much progression--it is pretty much staying in the synthetic musk with spices space, although the edgyness of the spices is wearing off a bit, making it a bit smoother and very warm.

Renee Musk--For some reason I remembered that this one started with a sort of pee note, and thought it might be civet. Even in Scent Bar last week, I smelled the pee note briefly when the fragrance was first sprayed on the strip. Wearing it today, what is more apparent is the poop note (aka manure), as this so-called musk is actually very leathery. It has a castoreum-like scent which includes manure, leather, bandaid/antiseptic, etc. The musk is actually very subtle, and seems to be more of a carrier for the leather. This one is also developing very quickly. The castoreum is having its typical progression away from the horse stable and more toward the leather horse saddle. The musk is nearly undetectable at this point.

I must be very honest--after trying some synthetic musk notes in the note identification project, it is clear to me that the quality and concentration of the particular musk aromachemical is of paramount importance. The synthetic musks are mostly ho-hum, with hardly any depth or breadth, so I think they 1) rely heavily on other ingredients to make them shine and/or 2) end up being used as a base because they aid in marrying notes rather than being the star attraction.

As a result, my impressions of FMMR and RM are really not so good, because I think the musks are not so good. They lack the complexity and longevity needed to be the central note in a fragrance. And the other notes which are supposedly supporting the musks are becoming insipid--it is as though they have no base notes. On final analysis, I also have to disagree with statements that FMMR and RM are the same. They do smell *similar* when first applied, but they diverge rapidly.

If I had to pick between the two, it would be Musc Ravageur, because Renee Musk is really more of a leather scent, and I think it is better compared with other leathers rather than other musks. As a former Coty Wild Musk girl, neither of these satisfy me.

19th October, 2008

sbabalola.'s avatar

Dirty sweet vanilla. This is no holy grail, more like French knickers served with honey. It’s a love/hate fragrance, an erotic intrigue or a sweaty sherbet.

26th September, 2008

Nukapai's avatar

Well. It's either sex in a bottle... OR the smell of an ageing Russian pervert. Wear it if you dare and pray you come off as the former rather than latter! I am attracted to the smell (I sprayed some on me and my husband - had to wash it off me, but on him it was interesting), but this is quite full on. I can't get the image of a hairy chest with heavy gold jewellery out of my head. Hmm!

12th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2008)

FloatingPoint's avatar

I don't think I can join the bandwagon on this one. Just too powdery for my taste. I think the idea of a gamey musk combined with soft and sweet is pretty inspired in a way, but it's also flirting with disaster, and I'm not sure this one actually stopped short of the precipice, at least on my skin. Neutral rating for the quality ingredients and the recognition that this might work on some people (especially women).

04th June, 2008

twinpeaker's avatar

This has such a strong "old-lady" connotation to me. I had prepared myself for a sexy animalic musc, but the sweetness was overpowering, and there was a sour opening note that persisted and was actually a bit nauseating (like incontinent old lady). Had to wash it off. Twice. I'm disappointed that I was persistent in bidding for my sample; should have let it go at $25.00....*sigh* Live and learn...

19th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 17th March, 2013)

phibess's avatar

MR is not a very complex scent and tries too hard too impress imo. I love its delicious beginning which has more to offer than the sickly sweet drydown which I can't stand any more and is btw very similar to T4T base. This is a romantic dinner/night out scent with good longevity, would never wear this to an office. There are better alternatives in this category imo, Angelique Encens being one of them.

09th November, 2007

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Starts off very sweet and feminine, but after a while it gets more butch.
    (Or perhaps just more medicinal?)
    I agree with Ms. unstableisotope, this could very well be considered a modernized version of Shalimar (my grandma's fave, btw) and I've no doubt that on her skin it is 'magnificent vanilla' etc. Great on women. Not for me. Pass.

22nd April, 2007 (Last Edited: 19th June, 2009)