Reviews of Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Find out more about Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

The Scent: Right off the bat i smell amber and tonka i believe,not bad but im prepared to wait 4 hours for the drydown. About 3 hours later,i can smell the resemblence to a cinnabun. In hour later its like a cinnabun with spices and the tonka is still their.

I have been putting alot of use to this masterpiece,to make sure it wasnt all hype and it is what its suppose to be " A Masculine Scent " or " The Romantic Guy Scent ". I will only wear this for a romantic setting and im pretty sure this sample can hold its ground for the right time..and perhaps buy a full bottle which will last me forever.

27 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2012)

halomatic's avatar

Belgium Belgium

This one rules.
    a scent with a courageous personality.
    in your face as it is.
    Where your words are thinking again, this fragrance is shouting out loud what you are thinking. Sex. again.
    But don't let the shouting mistake you, the voice that goes with this scent is sexy and warm, deep and clean, amber and musk.
    Tricky though, you beter wear this aura when you're selfconfident!
    otherwise this scent will quickly take the lead and rule over you

25 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2012)

Matt14's avatar

first off...i would hands down give this a thumbs up IF my gf liked it. No joke, i got yelled at by her for wearing this...haha.

i have received mixed reviews about this fragrance. every guy i've let give a smell has said that it smells really good and they would buy it if it weren't for the price. but almost every girl aside from a few here and there has said it smells like "old man".
    honestly i could care less what people think, if i want to wear MR, im going to. for the days that i care about what the ladies want to smell, i'll wear something more cliche like YSL.

anyway...for the top notes which last about 10 minutes on my skin, i get a lavender smell along maybe a wood kind of smell?

second note which lasts about an hour or so on my skin. smells like barbasol or a very generic smelling shaving cream with other notes, but the clove over powers everything. smells pretty fresh but heavy at the same time if that makes sense.

third note which lasts another hour to hour and a half on my skin starts to smell a little better and the vanilla is starting to come in. i also get a little hint of a wood kind of smell and the clove is very feint.

final note which is the best of all and lasts another 10+ hours on my skin. no joke, it lasted 2 days on my skin and i showered twice in between. anyway the final note smells like vanilla and maybe a hint of amber or something? idk what tonka smells like so i cant say if it smells like that. the clove/barbasol smell is gone or so feint that you cna only smell it if your nose is on your skin.

definitely worth getting a sample and trying out a couple times. for some people it'll grow on them, some will always hate it and some people like the scent throughout all the phases.

28 November, 2011

dollars&scents's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle - A blast of freshness hits you with the hay-like sweetness of lavender commingling with the zesty citrus of bergamot. This refreshing opening transitions to its middle with the boatload of cloves, imparting a thick, wet earthiness with a faintly sweet dimension. This raises the dark avenue of travel for this composition. As the cloves percolate, a warm, mellow cinnamon with a hint of a civet musk gather steam, and stew with the hearty cloves. The billowing animalic musk coupled with the extraordinary spices transforms the heart into a rapturous sensuality. Hints of sweetness in the form of vanilla and tonka bean tug at this sexual melange leading it to the captivating base. As the spicy component of the heart fades away, the musk mixes with the tonka bean to give a fleeting chocolate aura drawing it closer to the base. The vanilla and tonka bean envelop the rousing musk and join with a woods backdrop, to wit, balsamic cedarwood, aromatic sandalwood and sweet guiac wood, to give creamy and powdery facets to the mellifluous drydown. This well blended and complex fragrance has excellent longevity and good projection, after 5-6 hours becoming a skin scent.

26 November, 2011

Delicious Scent's avatar

I think I just sent my magnificent secretions flying everywhere. This stuff is great! Cloves, cinnamon, vanilla, and a bit of musk. God damn this stuff is sexy, sensual and just straight smooth, and a hint of dirty in there too, whenever I get a whiff of this stuff off of my wrists I get a great smile!

Not overrated in my opinion, worth the hype, AND $225 .

15 November, 2011

Wrappedinglory's avatar

I'm anosmic to musks, most of them anyway. So with Musc Ravageur I smell mostly a huge, enormous amber, which I usually dislike, but I love the way it's been treated in this case. It's loud but not too disturbing, and somehow different from the mainstream, which is something I always appreciate. I used to love this perfume, but in the end the amberzilla started to annoy me. As much as I love the whole concept behind the Frederic Malle line, I still haven't found a perfume of theirs that I really love. Shame.

03 November, 2011

mrblah's avatar

Out of all the fragrances that I've owned or sampled. I feel there is too much going on. You have woody, smokey, incense, sweet, and on top of all that you have musc. It doesn't really fade away either, to a dominant scent. It smells very medicinal too me, like those old chinese herbal stores.

07 October, 2011

forfreddie's avatar

I have tried this numerous times in both the oil and the EDP.
    I see the appeal with Musc Ravageur I do, I love musk, my recent sample of MKK has sent me a bit loopy for animalics. MR is not a typical musk smell, I dont pick up any animalics in here at all.
    Once sprayed, and the slightly cinnamon/clove spice settles, MR feels a lot like an oil, not literally of course, but it wraps around the skin and doesnt project too much, it feels silky and sensual. There is vanilla, amber and a well blended combination of spices which are quite difficult to pick out individually.
    However, my concern is this:
    One time I cooked a salmon dish from a recipe... I am getting somewhere I promise. Anyway, I had to mix a load of corn oil, with one vanilla pod and the beans, 2 star anise, black peppercorns and some bay leaves, I left this overnight which was to be used to cook the salmon in. This oil... is Musc Ravageur. Trust me. Musk ravageur is a vanilla, slightly spicy/herby scent with very mild anise, with the scent of corn oil as a base. For this personal reason, my thumbs up slips sideways... The literal oil smell is too potent for me and makes me feel unclean, not in a typically dirty/raunchy/animalic way, just literally a little greasy.

06 October, 2011

The_Cologneist's avatar

Ridiculously overrated. But artwork nevertheless..

I am not a fan of musk based fragrances, so that impacts my opinion of this. MR opens with a strong animallic musk note (smells like diarrhea). After about 2 hours, the musk falls to the background, and the spicy notes become more dominant (although noticeable in the opening). Clove, clove, clove, and a dash of cinnamon.

Four hours later.. MMMM. This is what people wait for, and what people love. Many consider this to be 2 or 3 fragrances in one, because of the fact that the note sets seem to project very well in each phase. 8 hours in, and it's projecting as much as it was in the first hour. With that said.. the base (and my favorite part) smells of amber, vanilla, cinnamon, and tonka. Very creamy, sweet, sensual, high quality. Although quite common.

Quite common base in terms of smell. Cuba Hollywood is quite similar, and a tiny fraction of the price. Of course, the quality is not as good, it's not as smooth either, but I would rather save the money. Not to slander MR, but the final smell is very common.. reminds me of a fragrance from the Playboy line as well, and D&G The One.

In conclusion, I would say that if you don't like musk, ya may wanna avoid this one. I do give it props for being 2 or 3 fragrances in one. But, if all your after are the base notes, you can do much better elsewhere.

27 September, 2011

orangefiction's avatar

Very similar to tobacco vanille. I get that cinnamon/ fruitcake smell. Kind of out there but it smells great. Very strong so use as little as possible for the best results.

Although I like this one a lot I don't love it enough to spent more than $100 on it, and the same is true with the tom ford one. I don't get musk at all. Also I don't think of this as a sexy smell, more like warm and comforting, so maybe a little misleading.

24 September, 2011

Francesco's avatar

I tried this scent last saturday...
    At the first sniff I thought "this scent is very strange"...after 30 minuts it changes in a fantastic vanilla and sweet musc. On my skin is perfect and I don't know why but it really drugs me!! Fantastic!
    P.s. My GF is fall in love with MR...;)

22 September, 2011

Darvant's avatar

One of the most appreciated animalic ambery musks around behind the incomparable and brewing Muscs Kublai Khan and in the same vein of fragrances as the woodsy-syrupy Ambra Nera and the more peacefully honeyed and less spicy Chergui. The animalic dirtiness and sensuality of the scent reminds me some fragrances as  Absolue Pour Le Soir but Musc Ravageur  is more woodsy and less heavy in gourmand and resinous notes. Compelling and dirty. The conceptually traditional and fresh opening is made of citrus and spices as cloves and cinnamon. The latter, the secret of scent in my opinion, is a natural complement to the sweet mellifluence while some cloves play this role (on the side of cedar and lavender) towards the woodsy feel. The starring spices in substance start to prepare the sensual dirty background with their dusty, sweet, pungent and aromatic expression. In a few time the embrace of the vanillic and incensey  amber envelops the elements, the right dosage of musk imprints woodsy intensity balancing (on the side of cedar and lavender) the balsams while a dark smokey link of guaiac wood and sandalwood, providing structure, perfectly conjoins its woody sweetness to balsams and spices. Dangerous in its final outcome. The note of tonka darkens utterly the smell and its relationship with spices, woods and balsams produces a sort of intense (for some reviewers chocolatey) sort of aroma. As told by others the fragrance, despite dense and sensual, is well balanced and not cloying for sure. Decadent and sensual even if not enough autoritative to strike at all my taste. A great fragrance anyway.

20th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2014)

barclaydetolly's avatar

This really has grown on me. I used to think it smelled like urine, but now I like its vanilla and cinnamon quite a bit. Warning: the women I know are polarized by this one, nearly down the middle; half love it, half hate it.

13 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 May, 2012)

Fleurine's avatar

This is a review of the oil perfume. Let me just preface this by saying musc oil perfume is one of my favorite things in the universe, and my daily scent is Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Her Oil. In my humble opinion, this is the way to wear musc, but I digress.
    Musc ravager is a quietly aromatic delicious gourmandy scent that does not overwhelm the wearer. A bit smoldering, a bit snuggly, with pleasing and yummy base notes that I find comforting and warm. It is sexy, especially in that the oil wears so close to the skin. Now some people do not feel comfortable with this one, so smell it before buying...but don't be afraid. It's is very special and lovely.

08 July, 2011

chet31's avatar

I liked this fragrance right away. I immediately get a burst of vanilla + "something camphor-like." Don't ask me why I like this combination. The "camphor" fades over time to a nice vanilla/tonka. One of my favorites.

15 June, 2011

sarıpatates's avatar

Turkey Turkey

It begins very sweet and cloying, and frankly loses me right there and then. I like sweetness only when I think it's balanced.

Naturally there is bias, as I wouldn't mind over the top spices, resin or green fragrances that would choke other people. Sweetness is what makes me call for some citrus, bitterness, smoke or something contrasting.

This is in essence a gourmand musk, which sounds like a terrible idea to me. This combination also cost me Caron's 3me homme, which employs gourmand musk in its composition. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but to my nose it is also very cloying and it almost physically blocks my nostrils.

Subjectivity is what matters here, so a thumbs down from me without regret.

23 May, 2011

Jack Hunter's avatar

You know when you are very hungry and you happen upon a bakery upon your travels. And they are baking something sweet and delicious and the aroma is traveling upon the breeze and you take that deep breath in. The Scent compels you to just go in to the bakery and satisfy your craving.

Musc Ravageur fragrance is a lot like this as its very vanilla sweet with light musc blended in with cinnamon. Upon a person it is warm, sensual and very sexy scent. And it is very well blended.

If there was ever a fragrance you would choose to wear just for sheer decadence and sensual indulgence, this is it. In fact I would go as far as saying if you were looking for a scent to wear to a club with the intention of getting laid, this is it.

It is very sweet and on me I found you only need one spray to the chest as this fragrance is strong and lasts a long time. Its easy to over spray on this scent.

I like this one, good for when you want to be noticed

23 April, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Musc Ravageur is one of the best composition by Maurice Roucel and an incredibly compelling, sort of animalic, musc with a gourmandic twist. Dirty, sexy and almost unpolite but never vulgar. A blod and sweet spicy composition with a remarkable lavender note on top that's skilfully balanced to never become cloying. A perfect unisex fragrance.

Together with Musc Kublai Khan one of my favourite muscs of all times, Highly recommended.

18 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st October, 2011)

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

When I was very new to smelling niche scents, Musc Ravageur oil had me running to wash it off and hiding my sample somewhere it could not harm others ! It scared me with it's overtly sexual smell.The EDP is slightly diffferent .
    Firstly, Musc Ravageur - oil or EDP has a slight fecal or skanky factor to it. It is as Off Scenter has said in his review- there is a Jicky vibe to it. A dirty-ish ,rakish vanilla - naughty and sexy.It's what gives this fragrance 'the edge'.
    The oil is stronger in the sweaty pants department and the EDP is more forgiving and cuddly.
    All these years later, I am still scared to try the oil again but the EDP is one I do love.It is a scent that although is warm and sexy , has a disturbing darker side to it. I do not get foody associations with it- simply boudoir and darkness covered by cream.
    This is a bold scent, strong and lasting. Good stuff. If you want to ramp up the sweat factor- get the oil.
    Despite the name,I believe there is little or no actual musk in Musc Ravageur - it is more of a concept.

18 April, 2011

Leo the Zen's avatar

Cuba Cuba

I was going to post a review but Volley 2 below expressed just what I had pictured it to be in my mind! Excellent job! I even wear this to bed, that is how addicted I am to it. It is comforting, huggable, sexy... what else can I add? Offputting at first...addictive once you learn to appreciate it!

15 April, 2011

Bartlebooth's avatar

A slightly cloying chocolate texture remains throughout MR, as though the notes existed within quite a narrow format. The accords are earthy and shifting, but all maintained within a very limited range. I would not say that I extract any great pleasure from wearing MR, it is more a case of spending time with a comforting presence.

09 April, 2011

Bigsly's avatar

I shall now wax poetic about the wonder and majesty of this incredible concoction, the proverbial nectar of the...

Okay, that's the kind of thing I'm tired of hearing. If you like these kinds of strong ambery fragrances, that's fine with me. I can see the appeal, no doubt. I have plenty of fragrances with a little amber, but that's all I can tolerate. The complexity just isn't there for me; perhaps it's being overwhelmed by the sweet, heavy, syrupy amber. And perhaps because of this, I find it very similar to Ambra by Etro, so close that I see no reason to buy both (and I got Ambra for a very good price).

Now it may be that I can't really appreciate the differences because of the overwhelming amber, but this is the best I can do in terms of a review, and I have a feeling at least a few other people will understand what I'm trying to articulate here. I avoid top notes as much as possible and so this review is about the drydown. If I want musk, I'll dab on some old Brut 33. What's the point of having musk up top (if it's there; I didn't detect it) and heavy amber in the drydown? Is the top for personal enjoyment and the base for "making a statement" to others? If so, that's makes sense, but it's not what I seek in a "personal fragrance."

28 March, 2011

WeSmellGood's avatar

I got Vaseline in a bottle.

27 March, 2011

RayFlash's avatar

Poland Poland

Rice pudding ...with a healthy dose of cinnamon. How could anyone not like rice pudding?

23 March, 2011

Spoombung's avatar

This is essentially a subtle, more grown-up gourmand... with a hefty price tag to put the children off.

I'm a big fan of musky scents; I already have Body Shop White Musk, Kiehl's Original and I like the musky Bulgari style too. I'm also planning to get Musc Kublai Khan when finances allow - so it was somewhat inevitable that I'd like this too.

It's creamy and vanillary... but as others have pointed out, not too cloying due to the delicate balance of ingredients used to offset any possibility of high street vulgarity. It's complexity sets it apart from the cruder, more brutal gourmands we are all used to. No nose pegs required with this foodiefrag.

And of course, the musk does a great, seductive job at the base; it's judged quite brilliantly somewhere between the Kiehl and Body Shop musk in quality. I suppose you could 'cheat' and try and approximate the general theme of this fragrance by layering the Kiehl's musk (for instance) with a regular gourmand but it just wouldn't have the class of Musc Ravageur.

Very nice indeed. Start saving your pennies...

18 March, 2011

volley2's avatar

China China

As we all know, perfumery is a form of art. Sometimes, it takes time to understand and appreciate art. Musc Ravageur is one of those scents that needs patience to fully grasp the full essence of this fragrance. However, for some people, it is a love at first sniff.

The idea of Musc Ravageur is that no floral notes have touched this 'art in a bottle'. On the initial spray, you will get a thick, deep, dark aroma with the bergamot and lavander being the prominent characters. As you move towards the heart/middle note, which is the "theme" of the perfume, you just get this delicious, sensual, highly addicting scent of gorgeousness. It is so intoxicating that if one catches a whiff of your scent trail, I wouldn't be surprised if he or she would be captivated. By the time you get to the dry down, having gone through all the phase from top to basenotes, you might be thinking what is this that you are smelling....worry no more for that is just the 'art on your skin'.

This is definitely a cold weather scent. There must be a reason why this is one of the more popular scents from the house of Malle and if you would like to know why, then you will have to try for yourself. Just a warning, if you hate art, then be careful with this one for you can be a changed man or a woman after sniffing this.

Highly recommended!

23 February, 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

To Frederic Malle, it has always been inconceivable the fact that the general public believes that celebrities creates their own fragrances.And taking this as an initial premise, he decided to bring together the leading perfumers of our time, responsible for the biggest releases in the fragrance market, providing for each of them, unlimited time and resources. without any kind of pressure, ie, total freedom, with a single goal: The aim of creating the "Editions de Parfums" collection.

Musc Ravageur is a direct product of this idea. Created by perfumer Maurice Roucel and released in 2000, the fragrance includes notes on your pyramid that would be common in fresh scents, like bergamot and lavender, while it includes oriental notes such as clove and cinnamon.

And it's with this brief introduction that I start the review of this niche perfume that I personally was most anxious to try. While reading / watching reviews online, I was amazed with such passion that this perfume was analyzed, always with praise and more praise.

On my skin, right after the first spray, I felt an explosion of clove dominating the beginning of the perfume (with an almost whispering musc). Lavender and bergamot? Not on me! Maybe I blinked at the moment and the notes come and gone with this facility.

And this was when I already impatient, became disappointed with the scent. Damn, Is this what is pleasing to everyone right now? What a pity ... but that first impression do not bring me down, I saw people saying that anyone who could "survive" the first hour of this perfume, would be greeted with a fantastic aroma, and it was with this thought
    in mind, that I decided to take time to smell...

And damn, they were telling the truth! After about 1h~1h:30min, the scent on my skin took a sensational transformation! Now on the dry-down, the cloves fell so absurd, giving the fragrance a vanilla tone, accompanied by a smell somewhat resembling to a creamy scent, secured by tonka bean (but nothing glaring) and some chord that brings me a subtle chocolate.

And this feeling continues until the end of the fragrance, which by the way takes a long time to exit the skin. Excellent longevity and a great projection!
    And so here I finish my first experience with Musc Ravageur, a perfume that as many have said before, and I HAVE to agree, can be described as "Sexy in a bottle". Musc Ravageur is the personification of the proverb "do not judge a book by its cover" becoming reality.
    A delicious perfume, targeted to mature people. Something college and up I would say.

01st February, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2011)

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Roucel whips up a Jicky mousse.

I previously thought that the musk in Musc Ravageur was a peekaboo character, but since smelling CB I Hate Perfume Musk Reinvention and better sensitizing myself to this particular kind of musk, I now smell it without interruption in Roucel's Ravageur (no easy thing to describe, but this musk is more aldehydic-bleachy than musty-cumin-like).

Originally I was entranced by the unctuously creamy vanilla that holds gentle sway and for which Roucel offers delicate distractions to prevent it from becoming cloying: lavender, cloves, cinnamon, and a spritz of tangerine that proves an exquisite touch. The vanilla itself is like nougat for the nose, an exuberant, fantasy white chocolate that never becomes sickly. With the drydown emerge faint notes of gaiac and sandalwood, along with the potent musk in this scent of terrific longevity, and all afloat in a moreish almond milk that is all the more scrumptious – in fact, *able to be scrumptious* – for its total absence of florals.

Be it a 'streamlined oriental' or a 'gourmand musk', whatever you call it Musc Ravageur is the most mouthwatering vanilla out there.

28 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2011)

mizzpierre's avatar

I really, really wanted to like this, but unfortunately Musc Ravageur was a miss for me. I have read and watched countless reviews on this fragrance, building the anticipation to when I could finally get my hands on a sample. Though the sample came broken and spilled, the dried up product on the envelope was all I needed to determine that this was not the scent for me. As I keep smelling it, all I get is an "old man smell." I really wanted my first niche fragrance to be out of this world. Maybe next time I guess.

29 November, 2010

OldSchoolCharm's avatar

I tried MR and asked female co-workers what they thought, and most did not like it. I don't like it either. I'd pick Aventus over MR for a niche frag. I'd pick Pure Malt over MR for a sexy frag. They both get more compliments. For the price tag, there are many better frags out there.

04 November, 2010