Reviews of Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

Find out more about Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

kwitcherbitchen's avatar
    kwitcherbitchen

Since I find Nicole Miller for Men quite similar to Timberline by Dana, the review is quite similar as well.

There's just something about Nicole Miller for Men that bothers me and I can't quite figure out what it is...the immediately olfactory-assaulting fruity/boozy/floral opening becomes vastly overshadowed by an immutable vibe of insect repellant that desperately tries to be tamed by an amber South American honey and/or classic vanilla along with a touch of sandalwood, musk and moss mid-notes and unfortunately ends as one off-putting, sweet-ish woody kind of hot mess.

Nicole Miller for Men lasts a fairly long on me with moderate projection, especially during summer months. As mentioned in the review opening, Nicole Miller for Men reminds me a lot of Timberline by Dana and I'm not a huge fan of that either.

10th March, 2014 (Last Edited: 15 March, 2014)

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Top Notes
    Apple, Honeydew, Bourbon.

Middle Notes
    Leather, Oakmoss, Vanilla.

Base Notes
    Amber, Musk, Sandalwood.
    The well known boozy apple top notes are gorgeous on my skin, and well balanced. Later honey and vanilla - both not spectacular but nice and not cloying on me - add depth and veer into a restrained gourmand-type direction. Later in the drydown a pleasant sandalwood and amber develop, all of solid quality and convincingly composed. Decent silage and projection, is scent nonetheless is not loud or overly intrusive if not applied excessively. Longevity is a very good sic hours. A very nice fragrance in autumn.

06 November, 2013

Late-Hit's avatar
    Late-Hit

The story of the waxing and waning fortunes of Nicole Miller for Men is one of the most interesting and instructive you will encounter. Please read the reviews on Basenotes back to the beginning, and then read the forum threads... and then forevermore BEWARE of how much we are influenced by reputation, scarcity and cost, and how little any of those things actually have to do with the fragrance itself!

When Nicole Miller for Men was introduced it was expensive and very sought after. When it was discontinued it was very lamented... and quickly became very scarce and VERY expensive. And then a funny thing happened.

When it was reintroduced, Nicole Miller for Men was no longer really expensive. And then when the recession hit it became really, really cheap. I think I saw Nicole Miller for Men for sale in many places for $7 per bottle, and you can still find it for about $10 per bottle.

Now some will tell you the reformulated Nicole Miller for Men is different from the original and blah, blah, blah. Maybe... but I don’t know.

What I do know is that Nicole Miller for Men in its modern version is a very solid fragrance. And, as you can read in several forum threads on Basenotes (back to at least 2006) there is virtually no difference between Nicole Miller for Men and Paloma Picasso Minotaure!

In fact, the extreme similarity between these two fragrances was commented upon several times in the forums, and I have also done my own side by side tests... and I can assure you that these two fragrances are virtually identical in every way.

However, if you track the reviews of Nicole Miller for Men from 2002 to the present you will see that the ratings and angst have generally gone down as the price and perceived scarcity of the product plummeted, while the reputation of Minotaure has remained pretty much the same. Hmmph!

By the way, I really like the fragrance and am now on my second bottle although I must admit that while the Minotaure bottle is outstanding, the bottle of Nicole Miller for Men (also textured and frosted) in not nearly as attractive. Ah, well... If you want a good masculine fragrance with a strong tobacco vibe, then go buy Nicole Minotaur for men :)

02 November, 2013

RobbieX's avatar
    RobbieX

Lovely smooth mellow amber/soapy scent. Reminds me a little of Avon True Force but this is better. Lasting power is moderate. It's a well blended scent. The bottle is gorgeous. Definitely a big THUMBS UP for me!

15 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2013)

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

I do not understand all the bitching about this fragrance. I have the "wrong" version, made in the USA by Parlux and I find it very good. Maybe because I have not experienced the original canadian version so I do not have a point of reference, but regardless, this is still a good scent.
    It opens a little bit like calvados (the boozy apple note) but moves swiftly into this sweet leather heart that gave me the impression of honey spilled in a leather sofa, and closes in a very sweet mossy amber drydown with a woody background.
    Not a fragrance you would go crazy about, but i is much better than many in the same price range.

07 September, 2012

Galvatron77's avatar
    Galvatron77
    Brazil Brazil

Reminds me Nautica Oceans, but much more loud and vulgar... I really don't believe that NMM is a masculine scent, it is too much sweet to be a masculine fragrance.

22 December, 2011

Lovescully's avatar
    Lovescully

I don't quite know what to say about this fragrance. It has a very strong smell of apples and alcohol, with a bit of honey. Not an alcohol smell in an astringent way; more like apple schnapps (very sweet) or maybe an apple martini. To me the initial smell of apples & grog never really goes away and I don't seem to get any of the drydown smells mentioned by others here.

The problem I have with it is I'm not sure when I would want to smell like apples and alcohol! Certainly not in the office, or even at a function. Maybe at a casual party for novelty value?

On a positive note, this (reformulation) can be found VERY cheap. I picked up mine (blind) for about $8.00! I certainly don't hate Nicole Miller for Men, but I just don't see myself wearing this one very often.

16 August, 2011

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

This review is for the original Nicole Miller For Men

One of the simplest fragrances I have encountered for some time. The only mildly appealing phase for me is the opening; it’s a potent accord of honeyed apples and dusty sweet vanilla. The remaining phases are merely diminishing photocopies of the opening, with subsequent notes having little or no effect. It dirties a little later on, but it’s all a little nondescript for me.

10th April, 2011

DutchSchwag's avatar
    DutchSchwag
    Netherlands Netherlands

The reformulation of Nicole Miller for Men is an obvious cash grab from the once trendy 90´s fashion line. NM is a fruity oriental with a warm and embracing introduction and a short fuse. The opening salvo of the scent is marvelous, some sort of apple cider whiskey blast that seems all too recognizable for its time, but vanishes within minutes to a leathery dry-down. Longevity on this rivals Nautica Classic for shortest life span on the market, I never get more than 30 minutes, and that´s being generous.
    Incredibly conventional and formulaic, but still would have been a nice budget alternative purchase for its type if not for the atrocious longevity that makes it almost irrelevant. Pleasant enough in its first-impression, lacks any stamina or unique attributes to stand out from the already overcrowded market. Had wonderful potential but it appears Nicole Miller has settled into its new role as a post-modern out of favor fashion house taking short-cuts in production quality while being less selective about where their products are available for retail.
    Fun for a quick sniff, but pathetic longevity makes this one better left behind.

02 March, 2011

TropiRock's avatar
    TropiRock

I find nothing compelling nor inspiring about this fragrance. I get a little of the apples and booze that others have mentioned, but mostly I smell a darkish leather. Not in a good way, either, but more like a moldy, dank basement. If you can imagine what your 3rd grade baseball glove would smell like if it were stored in a dark, wet basement for decades -- that's a good proximity to the odor of Nicole Miller for Men. Sillage and longevity are about average, but this just isn't a nice smell.

03 January, 2011

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

EDIT: I finally tried the vintage formulation of Nicole Miller for Men. I actually don't really notice much of a change between the vintage and current versions, except that the current version is sweeter with more noticeable apple and aldehydes. The vintage version is straight up warm, aldehydic apples, leather, and booze. It's good stuff but it can get cloying if too much is applied.

Excellent sillage and longevity. If you find it, try it.

21st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2011)

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

I am probably the most open minded member of Basenotes when it comes to reformulations, but the reformulation of Nicole Miller For Men is a shameless travesty. This used to be a borderline powerhouse, with an enormous dose of celery-like oakmoss and dark leather. It was both hip and manly smelling, very late-80s/early 90s in style. Sort of like a much milder version of Basala or MCM Success.

This new stuff is just a sweet, boring fruity oriental with absolutely no balls. It's not that it smells awful, but more that it's just another faceless, hackneyed fruity oriental, like hundreds of others. They were better off just discontinuing this fragrance than reformulating it like this and passing it off as the original Nicole Miller For Men. They have created a completely different fragrance with a totally different (i.e. wimpier) feel.

Even though this isn't vile, I have to give this a thumbs down simply because of the way the reformulation disemboweled this fragrance.

MY RATING: 4/10

16 July, 2010

Shifty Bat's avatar
    Shifty Bat

(Edit of 23 April, 2010 review)

Finally got a hold of the vintage formula of Nicole Miller and it's absolutely wonderful. The longevity is only slightly better on my skin than that of the unworthy reformulation, but everything else is vastly better. It smells warm, rich, very inviting, and real. I can see where the new version tried to recreate the structure of the original with synthetic ingredients, and perhaps they did a decent job, but the end product is a poor facsimile at best and a vapid shell at worst. Knowing that a fragrance of this caliber will soon cease to exist is akin to watching the last of a species die; it just plain rots.

23 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 July, 2010)

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Nicole Miller starts off warm with notes of apple and bourbon which fade away promptly. It then turns into a great deep rough leather, the leather is so deep that it almost smells like motor oil or gasoline similar to that of Fahrenheit's. At first I sprayed too much of this on and it smelled like a synthetic chemical catastrophe. While NM is somewhat synthetic it's not nearly as bad now that I've applied less.

Apples and booze, to leather.. this is a real man's fragrance. Guys who like ADG -- steer clear of Nicole Miller. Guys who love leather, come check this one out.. even if you dislike apples, those apples are gone within a minute. To me the opening is better than the dry down, but the dry down is very promising if you're a leather fan. Similar to John Varvatos in a way.. as they both start off fruity and tone down into a leather base, though Nicole Miller's dry down is a far more intense leather that JV.

Nicole Miller is not my favorite but it's different. This is one of those fragrances that may take a few applications for it to grow on you because of the base notes. I give Nicole Miller a C.

25 March, 2010

Hartman Design's avatar
    Hartman Design

A rather nice spiced apple and rum scent that might possibly warrant a thumbs up were the longevity and sillage not so abysmal. Even the most liberal dosage disappears within the hour. Specifically formulated, I'll warrant, to last just long enough to get through the checkout counter and leave bewildered customers wondering if it's too late to return it once they arrive home unscented, wallets unfettered.

Further tipping the balance to neutral rather than thumbs up is the cheap-looking packaging. Ugly decanter. The ring that attaches aerator to bottle is made of serrated plastic, and comes off if I attempt to replace the cap. Poorly conceived and executed packaging.

03 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2010)

mi-hooked?'s avatar
    mi-hooked?

The re-launch is a fruity mess. It usually lasts til just about when I am ready to walk out of my bedroom. So, longevity,,about 47.5 seconds.
    The vintage though is a different story. Why re-formulate a great scent.
    This original scent is a boozy, leathery, and all around nice scent.
    The original is in my 130+ bottle rotation.

18 November, 2009

distortech's avatar
    distortech

The bottle I have is one of the newer ones and it is very, VERY boozy with a wonderful juxtaposition into the leather mid that I absolutely love. The apple top notes are really short lived, but effective and the honey stays in the background throughout the entire progression. I am getting very little vanilla, but it is there - like a drop or two of the cheap grocery store sort (not a bad thing) just for added measure. Strangely enough, the apple seems to come out again later on me - mixing with the bourbon and that little hint of vanilla. I REALLY like this stage. The base is very comforting and just plain nice- containing a lovely smooth as silk amber/sandalwood accord with a hint of oak moss (I stress hint) and sweet (do in part to the honey) musk. Sort of similar to some others, but the lack of patchouli makes this very different. Very nice indeed.

For me the entire progression took about 5 hours, but it is still there ever so faintly on my skin. However, it is still full force bourbon/leather on my sweater!

02 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 November, 2009)

OlfactoryExperience's avatar
    OlfactoryExperience

It must have been the reissue that I sampled at Perfumania today. This stuff was anemic like none other I've ever smelt. And I don't think I really missed out on much anyway, because all I get from this is spiced apples and wood. It smelled like popsicle sticks after they'd been dipped in warm apple cider. I even tried it on skin! The apple note smells bright and aromatic like that of Burberry's (1995 release), but the scent really doesn't offer anything more than that. What abysmal longevity! What a waste of fluid! (Only criticizing the remake)

13 October, 2009

GRIM's avatar
    GRIM

It opens up with with the scent of apples alright but the bourbon takes over very quickly, making the leather notes hard to perceive and it dominates until you shower the next morning. It's boozy but unlike Michael Kors, I don't find this interesting at all.

06 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th December, 2010)

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Well done old school masculine.. The apple and bourbon are a constant duo throughout the longevity of the scent.. I never smelled the original but that's okay since this is so affordable.. The vanilla/woody drydown is blended perfectly without being cloying and cheap.. A great alternative to today's mundane offerings..

09 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 February, 2014)

AnimaSola's avatar
    AnimaSola

I see this all the time at TJ Maxx. Never paid much attention to it, bought it blind because it was on clearance. I like it, but it does smell like a lot of other colognes. Maybe this is an original fragrance that was imitated a lot. There is a slight "boozy" aspect to it as others have pointed out, but my overall impression is that of a sweet and somewhat musky oriental fragrance with muted fruit notes. I haven't experienced its sillage, dry down or longevity. I'm glad I purchased it.

18 May, 2009

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

I really want to like this!- this common refrain has been heard too many times in BN. And it's quite appropriate this cliches is used to describe this scent. The opening is just horrible. Smells like a cockroach repellant (and I am not one for hyberbole). And this note just won't go off for a good hour. It does get better after that- but only so much. The 'boozy' and depressed 'fruity' notes linger and overstay its welcome and, for once, I can't wait to wash it off my arms. Mine is the vintage version. I can't imagine the horror that is the reformulated juice.

01st March, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar
    Somerville Metro Man

Nicole Miller for Men

Ever since seeing the apple listed at the top of the pyramid this one has been of interest to me. The top of this is a tart green apple martini as the apple is mixed with a deep boozy note. What is quite eye-opening is the shift this one makes into the heart as we go from bright fruit to deep leather and oakmoss. This again shifts gears to soft amber and sandalwood to finish this one off beautifully. The bottle I have is a vintage bottle I bought on the sales board (thanks Ron199). I don't know if the re-issued version is reformulated and if it is significantly different. If it is, that would be a shame, because this is an entertainingly developing scent on my skin that will be a fun going-out scent for many years.

28 February, 2009

decillisjl's avatar
    decillisjl

to me... this is all booze.... yes i get the apple for the first two seconds, but then it's all booze booze and a bit of pipe tobacco... immediately it reminds me of michael kors for men, with the apple playing the part of the rhubarb... while michael is definately a better crafted fragrance, nicole miller doesn't let me down at all... i can't see that the ingredients are fake, because i've tried many different "niche" fragrances that smell much more "cheap" and "synthetic" while boasting a pricetag 10X more expensive. This is not my favorite fragrance by any stretch, but this is great for casual situations where an "unassuming" fragrance is called for... It doesn't hurt that I got this for a measly twenty bucks on ebay... If you like/love Michael Kors for men, this is a slightly different departure but nonetheless equally quality fragrance to try out... If you disagree I'll send you twenty yen.

18 February, 2009

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

I can't give this a negative, though I don't think it's for me. It starts off boozy and fruity, then once the top notes fade, the boozy fruit plays off against a leathery note for at least 4 to 5 hours (two sprays to chest). I think I just don't like the boozy fruit accord, but there's nothing "wrong" with it. If there weren't several fragrances that fill this niche for me, I might look forward to this in my rotation, but as things stand, I wouldn't mind swapping this off for something that I think I'd appreciate more. Everlast Original 1910 is a citrus leather that I prefer to this one. I feel that EO 1910 is balanced better, has better sillage and longevity, and I like the smell of it, whereas I really don't find anything especially pleasant about Nicole Miller, for whatever reason. I made the mistake of smelling EO 1910 up close on the skin when I first sampled it, but it needs to mix with the air. Nicole Miller can be smelled up close, by contrast.

26 December, 2008

Ronin's avatar
    Ronin

I'm reviewing the 2008 version. I never tried the vintage Nicole Miller before it was discontinued so I cannot say much about all the great reviews. It was put back on the market and I gave it a try. This one starts out half decent but then the topnotes fade instantly that there is no doubt that the re-introduced version is really cheap in quality and ingredients. Just avoid this since there's nothing special about it and seems watered down big time.

19 October, 2008

lilkcceleb's avatar
    lilkcceleb

The apple scent makes me very nauseated when it's in any cologne.

16 October, 2008

oolong's avatar
    oolong

Fruity and Boozy really says it all. A really nice fragrance for a night on the town. It is fun, distinctive without being overpowering.

12 October, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Apple will from now on always remind me of L'Anarchiste. This is a spicier and slightly boozy version of L'Anarchiste with a chypre base of oakmoss and loaded with some leather. Nice, fruity, malty, green. Very awesome.

27 July, 2008

moltening's avatar
    moltening
    Thailand Thailand

Not exactly boozy for me -- all I get is nauseatingly synthetic vanillic sweetness with leather that feels like it got wrapped around a soaking wet dog. Somehow, it feels "muted" and powerful at the same time -- something that doesn't fare well with me.

I expected to like this, but it is rather "out of date, "fairly arrogant, and smells quite surprisingly cheap. I can see why it's discontinued. Sorry, but thumbs down.

17 July, 2008