Reviews of Himalaya by Creed

Find out more about Himalaya by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

Though its more prominent woody/resinous base notes lend it a more “oriental” character, Himalaya still seems similar in overall style to Green Irish Tweed, Millésime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water, Royal Water, Green Valley, and any number of other modern Creed “millésimes.” If you like this formula (and many do,) you should try Himalaya. It’s a very attractive scent.

As for me, I may be getting old and cranky, but I’ve come to find Himalaya and it’s siblings so close in character that I don’t need to own more than one at a time. Of this group, I like Silver Mountain Water the best, but I can easily see others preferring Himalaya, MI, or GIT. For a modern Creed that stands a bit apart, I still turn to Erolfa for its grit or Acier Aluminium for its depth and animal sensuality.

16 June, 2014

Jasonk931's avatar

An enigmatic wonder of scented bliss. Yes, this begins with something odd, but very spring-ish! I feel clean wearing this fragrance. Then the drydown comes into play and I have an occasional blast of woods out of nowhere, yet not a dirty forest, but a Coors Beer commercial vibe! Mountains, and clean water cascading over mineraly rocks. This is an excellent blend. My spring scents are this, GIT, Tere D'Hermes, and Black Touch for spring evenings.

05 April, 2014

broguesforsir's avatar

Cold, yet warm; sour, yet sweet. Himalaya is a conundrum and it's not surprising that it divides so many people.

The opening is a cold, citrus blast of alcohol. Unlike some, this doesn't grab me. It actually reminds me of that chemical odour of women's hairspray.

For me, though, Himalaya is all about the dry down. It stays somewhat austere on me for a good few hours as a cold, metallic note persists but then it develops into a lovely, warm sandalwood base, touched by a most agreeable incense note. I don't like incense but in this fragrance it really works for me.

I don't understand why so many reviewers have called Himalaya generic. I would agree that it doesn't belong to the familiar Creed family of fragrances, but I regard it as anything but generic. I also get the impression that this is a fragrance that projects more favourably than the wearer may realise. I know that sounds odd but those notes that rise from close quarters through the wearer's nasal passages, particularly for the first two or three hours, are definitely less revealing and balanced than they are for a receiving nose a couple of feet away.

I've had my bottle for about a year now and I wore Himalaya on a cold day recently after a fairly long break and I have to say it was a joy - more so than past outings. It has grown on me with time and I swear it has improved with age, like my bottle of Aventus. Or that could just be me, warming to it.

I also have a different experience with longevity to many reviewers. On that day, it was an absolute beast. I applied three sprays to the neck in the morning and my wife and I could still smell it after 13 hours, although it was naturally wearing closer to the skin by then. I did apply some unscented moisturiser to my neck first, so that may well have assisted.

If you want a fragrance that is inoffensive and versatile but still shouts quality, then you could do a lot worse. Not up there with my favourites by any means but I do find myself enjoying wearing Himalaya very much. Overall, a worthy addition to a collection.

23 March, 2014

mercutio's avatar

Not Creed's best, but overall, a good addition.

Before I bought this one, I did some research. A review once classified this as the workhorse of the Creed house and I tend to lean that way. A good every day scent. Could be worn to work daily. Very safe.

However, the opening is almost too floral for my taste. This can definitely be worn by either a man or a woman and would get no argument from me. I would not recommend Himalaya to someone who is new to Creed. Or to a man that is not "mature" or "confident enough" to pull this off.

Still good to bust out every once in a while on date night.

Pros: Longevity, projection
    Cons: I agree that this is non-distinct, almost too floral"

07 September, 2013

Happyguy's avatar

Pretty pricey for nothing special

Started with a crisp blast of lemony citrus that stayed a while before disappearing into a cool, crisp scent. Smelled like a real lemon, unlike other lemony scents that come across as too redolent of hospital disinfectant.

Unfortunately, the lemon left too soon and was replaced by...nothing. A pale, crisp fragrance that lingered without intruding or making itself known. This was the girl at the party who might have been interesting but stayed in the corner hugging her wine glass and keeping to herself. And then she's gone after barely making her presence felt.

Pros: Inoffensive office scent
    Cons: Not distinctive"

21st August, 2013

Countdown12's avatar

Normal Fragrance

I blind bought Himalaya a year ago, and have only come to spray it on a couple times in that time.

It is a very nice, bold fragrance, but very "normal". I feel like this is a fragrance one could find at Macy's or a small perfume store for a much cheaper price.

Overall it smells nice, but for the "creed" money your paying, I would suggest another scent.

Although the box is pretty cool.

Pros: Manly, Strong
    Cons: Generic, bland, expensive"

15 August, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Pleasant and fresh

The too note is traditional with citrus-bergamot freshness. But from the start a restrained scent. In the drydown a woody note with nutmeg is added, whilst vetiver keels up the fresh character, albeit somewhat attenuated. Towards the end the house-specific ambergris note and vanilla sweetness is emerging. Always close to my skin after the first half an hour, and gone after two hours. For warmer climes.

Pros: Fresh and restrained
    Cons:

17 June, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

Cooling icy citrus with a peppery woody background, creating a dichotomy of both modern and traditional. Dries down into a cedar base with excellent musk, ambergris and sandalwood notes perfectly blended together. Classy, sophisticated, versatile. Best for spring, but great for any season. Can be worn by both a young man and a gentleman alike. Any man can wear this and there is no age barrier.

The one big downside to this fragrance is performance. The projection and longevity of this fragrance aren't up to par with the standards of other fragrances of this category. For a fresh summer fragrance, maybe, but for a woody-oriental, no. Also, compared to other fragrances of the Creed house, this fragrance stands out as a weaker link, and you might be better off getting the other Creed fragrances first.

Still though, the positives outweigh the negatives and Himalaya has a lot to offer. Try this one for youself.

29 May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

Ok, this is tough to rate. The fragrance smell is wonderful. A clean soapy smell that is nearly perfect. A 5 stars. The projection is fair. It sits very close to the skin, which is ok if you understand you will be the only one smelling it. The longevity is HORRIBLE. I just don't understand how the Creed Cheerleaders say they get 8hrs. from this. I put 5 spritzes on, and after 2 hrs couldn't smell it. My wife couldn't either, and I asked random people to take a close deep sniff...nothing. For the money and hype of Creed this is unacceptable. I kept samples b/c I love to put it on and smell it for an hour or maybe 2.

02 May, 2013

marcuslaughter's avatar

Suitable for every day wear, this fragrance delivers in terms of sophistication without pretension. It's clean and fresh in the same way that Cool Water is, but there is far more complexity and longevity in Himalaya.

18 April, 2013

Danielstripedtiger's avatar

this is a forgettable soapy scent. It smells really "clean", EXACTLY like a brand of soap My mother bought for us when I was a kid...I can't put my finger on which one...Dial? Irish Spring? It has great projection, but it still is soap. I would give it a Positive if it wasn't so freaking expensive and worshiped like a god. I have MI, GIT, Aventus, Royal Oud, and so I am not a "Creed Hater" BUT to charge me $300-Creed had BETTER put out a home-run. Not soap-in-a-bottle.

28 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2013)

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

I love Himalaya. It's fresh but not like the modern synthetic releases. Two hours later it evolves into an elegant musky drydown. On my skin one spray last for about 8 hours.

31st October, 2012

's avatar

Sincerly it's smells almost like XS. It's a great smell but not worth it's price. I did expect more from a Creed and this one disappoints me. Not worth it.

29 October, 2012

bugsy's avatar

I first smelled this on a friend and I thought it was one of the best fragrances I have ever smelled. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get the same delicious smell out of Himalaya. When I initially sprayed it, I got a fresh and wonderful scent with slight tones of musk and sandalwood/cedarwood. Unfortunately this fresh opening doesn't last long. Within 30 minutes it was gone. After about an hour, the scent smells like something an old woman in her 70's would wear.

28 September, 2012

Francolino's avatar

floral woody cyphre with feeble sillage and poor longevity

30th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 January, 2014)

OverLord's avatar

Classy and fresh fragrance, maybe a bit childish

05 May, 2012

CaliDude's avatar

Thumbs up, way up. Nice classy fresh fragrance. Four sprays lasts me about 10 hours. Like all Creeds, it's expensive; but you can find a 4 oz selling on the internet for around $140. IMO, it's well worth it.

02 February, 2012

surge's avatar

IMHO this fragrance isn't like the other Creed's that I enjoy (Aventus, Millisime Imperial, GIT) -- it lacks originality and that unique *whatever* that makes the other Creeds I like worth paying as much as I do for them. Himalaya doesn't seem to have that...whatever it is that I look for in a niche fragrance. It's not a bad fragrance by any means, there's just nothing that stands out about it to me that says "oh this is nice" -- or "oh this is definitely worth as much as I paid for it"

It's almost like this could be a brand name fragrance from guess or something.

Anyways...notewise, top is very fresh and citrus like.
    I get a nice citrus blast, then musk and sandalwood.

I'd take Aventus over this fragrance any day of the week for any occaison....which is kind of a similar concept but the top is fruiter with Aventus, which I enjoy.

EDIT:

Alright I'm changing my mind about this one...giving it a thumbs up. It's a cool spring day in NY and Aventus just doesn't cut it for a work fragrance, so I decided to wear Himalaya to the office today...Aventus is too "loud" if you know what I mean, and SMWis too "quiet."

Himalaya, I think, is probably the *best* work fragrance, right there in the middle...fresh but not loud and not offensive...but it's still not worthy of the price that creed sells it for.

22 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2012)

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Creed = Expensive and classy fragrance!
    Longevity is the main problem for most of the creed fragrances! (Or maybe all of them)
    But overall quality is vey good and many of them smell great!
    The opening is citrus bomb! It's very fresh and soapy and give you extra energy .
    After one hour, become woody with a bit of citrus!
    This is a very versatile fragrance that you can use it in all four seasons.
    Projection is very good but longevity is average.
    I get around 6 hour out of this and it's not fair for a $175 fragrance! (120ml)
    Thumbs up because of great scent, very good quality and great projection.

07 November, 2011

Redbeard's avatar

This is the lesser of Creed's cold, "mountainous" fragrances. It starts out as a very airy, cool citrus with mint and florals. Very soon the not-too-sharp citrus and mint assume the guise of that woody, dusty green that reminds people so much of Paco XS. Here it has a very sudsy soap quality to it, whereas XS is more sharply green. At this stage, it's probably the most sudsy soap scent I know of, even though it's not specifically a soap scent. As the wood starts to come back in the mid notes, it unfortunately brings with it some of that sweet cherry/wood note that a lot of designer brands have, which I don't particularly like. It also begins to get mustier here, and has lost all of the amazing freshness of the top notes, all the while getting more medicinal from the "cherry wood". It's almost like a failed Gendarme scent, having started out bright and soapy, but fallen into a musty, sickly rut. The herbal notes give it an unpleasantly cold edge, which is much colder than is necessary to create a cool, refreshing scent, but not sharp and tantalizing either, the way that some of the better icy aquatics can be. It's a summer scent trying to achieve winter by being really cold like Silver Mountain Water, but does so in an uninviting way. Overall, I'm just not drawn it by either XS or Himalaya. It would be a hard choice between this and XS if the price difference weren't so huge. Consider SMW instead.

05 November, 2011

Darvant's avatar

I've tried it twice, my first time was in Moskow, i got in a shop near the Old Arbat, chose this one among many Creed's and tested it. In that case, as well as i went outside where the frost was roaring, I kept to appreciate the aromatic and metallic citrusy opening, the touch of mint and the green-herbal-orangy temperament together with the mossy and masculine (vetiver and ambergris) dry down. My second time was in the torrid south Italy and i found it far less pleasant and somehow generic, really very similar to XS (with hints of the One Million's "white" aromatic dry down) may be more vintage (or classic), less synthetic, but equally dense at the end because of the dominant smooth mossy and ambery base. What can i say? I don't rave for this type of fragrances, too muscular and herbal for the main part of their development in order to morph towards something still aromatic but less sharp and more ambery/mossy/resinous. The smell here is initially angular (almost minty/aromatic) because of herbal grapefruit, later orangy, than woody with a sheer sandalwood and finally mossy (with hints of amber) with the dusty
    millesime' sophistication of the florals-ambergris link plus the mastering orangy feel. Not bad but not my cup of tea.

23 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 August, 2014)

jasonsicilia's avatar

A very clean non offensive scent. Also very unique. It has a creamy masculine smell that recieves many complements. Its became my work scent . Very soothing mellow fragrance. Love it.!! My go to summer frag .

23 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

jtd's avatar

I don’t know the Creed line very well, but just tried Original Vetiver and Himalaya. The former is a clone, the latter not so much a clone as simply derivative. Himalaya smells like 75% Salvador Dali’s Laguna mixed with 25% Cool Water. It settles down to a metallic musk without distinction. Laguna and Cool Water both have far more coherent drydowns.

Thank goodness I tried Irisia from Creed at the same sitting. Otherwise I’d have written this house off with 2 strikes.

Also, these names. I loved Irisia, but there’s not a trace of iris to be found. Original Vetiver without a bit of vetiver in the composition. Himalaya? Iconic mountain range full of bucket-list implications for the western bourgeois dilettante? Cliche watery-fruity fragrance? What’s the association? This is less le Labo misdirection than bad lifestyle marketing in the vein of RL Safari.

11th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 August, 2011)

silentrich's avatar

While not my favorite Creed it's still a really solid daily wearer and versatile. I don't get much citrus in this and to my nose it's mainly a creamy musk with a hint of pepper. Sillage is average and longevity isn't that great on my skin, but usually I get 5 hours out of it. Comparisons to Paco Rabanne XS are valid and it is a similar scent, but Himalaya has more going on and of course the quality is evident. It resembles MI more than any other Creed fragrance so if you like MI you'll probably enjoy Himalaya. Overall I'd recommend it if your looking for a masculine work fragrance or if you enjoy musk.

29 July, 2011

bartdino's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

I can agree with who says that Himalaya is Creeds everyman fragrance (even if for me its more GIT) but it smell wonderfull...its fresh but in a warm way (...) and has 3 different phases, start very fresh and strong then become a little sour (and this is the less interesting phase) and finally is a great smooth and confortable skin scent...finally for me a great modern Creed

21st June, 2011

likouala_man's avatar

Himalaya is a fragrance which has 'moments'. First there is the opening moment, the citrus blast together with some spicy pepper and some accord which just comes off 'creamy'. It is very delicious at this point, heady, intoxicating. Later the warm woods blend in and it is still very beautiful. Then even later there is a moment of sourish, conventional amber which I don't like much, but this too passes and the drydown is soft, close to the skin, and nice. I've owned Himalaya a couple of times over the years. The memory of it stays with me. There is something about it that calls you back.

15 May, 2011

Mike's avatar

It is not hard to see why this is one of Olivier Creed's personal favorites! Himalaya is a magisterial scent, at once imposing yet sensual, warm yet cold, sweet yet firm. It really is a fragrance of extremes and dichotomous relationships. There is a great deal of citrus in the opening, which quickly segues into a heart of sandalwood and pepper, and then a base of cedar, ambergris, and musk. As with almost all of Creed's fragrances, the simplicity of the composition (that is to say, the low amount of individual notes) belies the sheer brilliance of the scent itself. I find it very difficult to describe this fragrance in words, so perhaps I will simply say that the name is truly a propos, for when one wears this, it is easy to envision trekking high atop an enormous snow-capped mountain. Despite the frigidity associated with this fragrance by many, it has a remarkable sweetness to it as well. Primarily characterized as a fresh and woody type of fragrance, I am stupefied by all of the negative reviews that complain that Himalaya is a blatant copycat of Paco Rabanne's XS--hogwash!!! Himalaya is an absolutely exquisite scent, with extreme amounts of sensuous energy. It truly is one of the best of the modern Millesimes, right up there with Bois du Portugal, Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, Tabarome Millesime, and the recently released Aventus.

24 April, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar

It should have been named "Ugly Duckling"
    When I first got it I was terribly disappointed, it was so generic, to me it smelled like hundred of other scents and worst of all, it did not smell like a Creed at all. It missed that unique Creed signature note that other Creeds have, so it went to the farthest corner of my closet and lied there forgotten for some time.
    After a few months I was yearning for something I had not worn for a while and there I found it, in the hardest to reach corner of my closet and I sprayed on me and while it wasn't as bad as I remembered, still was nothing to write home about it but this time I left it in a more reachable spot and I started to use it a little more frecuently.
    Everytime I wore it, the more I like it and now the ugly duckling has developed into this beautiful swan. I enjoy Himalaya a lot now and it is my number 2 Creed after SMW leaving way behind other Creeds like OV, OS and RW.
    Actually I do not have experienced many Creeds yet, but now I can understand why this is Oliver's favorite.

30th March, 2011

Jack Hunter's avatar

For me I always feel special when I am wearing a Creed fragrance and I do like Himalaya a lot. It has a ice cool soapy smell to it and I like how the white musk has been blended within its composition.

This is a anytime and anywhere fragrance and if I am ever in doubt what to wear for a particular occasion I always reach for this one. Its a safe bet and never lets you down.

21st March, 2011

MOONB's avatar

Maybe I'm just in a good mood today, but despite all the information suggesting an opposite outcome, I'm oddly drawn to Himalaya. I find the comparisons to Paco Rabanne XS hard to believe, not to the credibility of other reviewers, but because the only fragrance that seems related to it is Quorum by Antonio Puig. For a perfume that is written off as "nothing remarkable", "not ground-breaking", and "forgettable", there's a heck of a lot going on here. Lurking beneath the prominent notes of cedar, pink pepper, sandalwood, and ambergris, are components that, taken together, comprise the mythical "gunpowder note" at Himalaya's core. I perceive this note as being not just one, but several elements - namely cyclamen aldehyde, which tints the fragrance into a shade of green, carnation, which introduces a rich sweetness, and pine, exhibited here in such a small dose as to make its presence seem ghost-like and smoky. This accord, in conjunction with the typical creamy Creed sandalwood, creates a scent that conjures imagery of Buddhist temples, incense-sweetened pews, and fresh breezes through cut flowers. It occurs to me that Olivier's interpretation of a Himalayan climb may rest more in the remote temples of Burma and Nepal, and less in the fresh snowy icecaps they're nestled in. As time passes, the integration of Himalaya's notes intensifies, and mellows into a very mild and mellow pepper, carnation, sandalwood, and ambergris. This fragrance is very understated, mature, introspective. I like it. Longevity is around 3 hours, with 2 of them strictly skin-scent. Application to fabric enhances that a little. Sillage is modest, and this requires intimacy to be fully appreciated. Here is perhaps where Himalaya falls short - it is pleasant and well-made, but not what I would consider a sexy, come-hither scent. Be that as it may, it's something worth checking out.

16 March, 2011