Positive Reviews of Himalaya by Creed

Find out more about Himalaya by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

broguesforsir's avatar
    broguesforsir

Cold, yet warm; sour, yet sweet. Himalaya is a conundrum and it's not surprising that it divides so many people.

The opening is a cold, citrus blast of alcohol. Unlike some, this doesn't grab me. It actually reminds me of that chemical odour of women's hairspray.

For me, though, Himalaya is all about the dry down. It stays somewhat austere on me for a good few hours as a cold, metallic note persists but then it develops into a lovely, warm sandalwood base, touched by a most agreeable incense note. I don't like incense but in this fragrance it really works for me.

I don't understand why so many reviewers have called Himalaya generic. I would agree that it doesn't belong to the familiar Creed family of fragrances, but I regard it as anything but generic. I also get the impression that this is a fragrance that projects more favourably than the wearer may realise. I know that sounds odd but those notes that rise from close quarters through the wearer's nasal passages, particularly for the first two or three hours, are definitely less revealing and balanced than they are for a receiving nose a couple of feet away.

I've had my bottle for about a year now and I wore Himalaya on a cold day recently after a fairly long break and I have to say it was a joy - more so than past outings. It has grown on me with time and I swear it has improved with age, like my bottle of Aventus. Or that could just be me, warming to it.

I also have a different experience with longevity to many reviewers. On that day, it was an absolute beast. I applied three sprays to the neck in the morning and my wife and I could still smell it after 13 hours, although it was naturally wearing closer to the skin by then. I did apply some unscented moisturiser to my neck first, so that may well have assisted.

If you want a fragrance that is inoffensive and versatile but still shouts quality, then you could do a lot worse. Not up there with my favourites by any means but I do find myself enjoying wearing Himalaya very much. Overall, a worthy addition to a collection.

23 March, 2014

mercutio's avatar
    mercutio

Not Creed's best, but overall, a good addition.

Before I bought this one, I did some research. A review once classified this as the workhorse of the Creed house and I tend to lean that way. A good every day scent. Could be worn to work daily. Very safe.

However, the opening is almost too floral for my taste. This can definitely be worn by either a man or a woman and would get no argument from me. I would not recommend Himalaya to someone who is new to Creed. Or to a man that is not "mature" or "confident enough" to pull this off.

Still good to bust out every once in a while on date night.

Pros: Longevity, projection
    Cons: I agree that this is non-distinct, almost too floral"

07 September, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Pleasant and fresh

The too note is traditional with citrus-bergamot freshness. But from the start a restrained scent. In the drydown a woody note with nutmeg is added, whilst vetiver keels up the fresh character, albeit somewhat attenuated. Towards the end the house-specific ambergris note and vanilla sweetness is emerging. Always close to my skin after the first half an hour, and gone after two hours. For warmer climes.

Pros: Fresh and restrained
    Cons:

17 June, 2013

marcuslaughter's avatar
    marcuslaughter

Suitable for every day wear, this fragrance delivers in terms of sophistication without pretension. It's clean and fresh in the same way that Cool Water is, but there is far more complexity and longevity in Himalaya.

18 April, 2013

the reaper's avatar
    the reaper
    Venezuela Venezuela

I love Himalaya. It's fresh but not like the modern synthetic releases. Two hours later it evolves into an elegant musky drydown. On my skin one spray last for about 8 hours.

31st October, 2012

CaliDude's avatar
    CaliDude

Thumbs up, way up. Nice classy fresh fragrance. Four sprays lasts me about 10 hours. Like all Creeds, it's expensive; but you can find a 4 oz selling on the internet for around $140. IMO, it's well worth it.

02 February, 2012

surge's avatar
    surge

IMHO this fragrance isn't like the other Creed's that I enjoy (Aventus, Millisime Imperial, GIT) -- it lacks originality and that unique *whatever* that makes the other Creeds I like worth paying as much as I do for them. Himalaya doesn't seem to have that...whatever it is that I look for in a niche fragrance. It's not a bad fragrance by any means, there's just nothing that stands out about it to me that says "oh this is nice" -- or "oh this is definitely worth as much as I paid for it"

It's almost like this could be a brand name fragrance from guess or something.

Anyways...notewise, top is very fresh and citrus like.
    I get a nice citrus blast, then musk and sandalwood.

I'd take Aventus over this fragrance any day of the week for any occaison....which is kind of a similar concept but the top is fruiter with Aventus, which I enjoy.

EDIT:

Alright I'm changing my mind about this one...giving it a thumbs up. It's a cool spring day in NY and Aventus just doesn't cut it for a work fragrance, so I decided to wear Himalaya to the office today...Aventus is too "loud" if you know what I mean, and SMWis too "quiet."

Himalaya, I think, is probably the *best* work fragrance, right there in the middle...fresh but not loud and not offensive...but it's still not worthy of the price that creed sells it for.

22 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2012)

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

Creed = Expensive and classy fragrance!
    Longevity is the main problem for most of the creed fragrances! (Or maybe all of them)
    But overall quality is vey good and many of them smell great!
    The opening is citrus bomb! It's very fresh and soapy and give you extra energy .
    After one hour, become woody with a bit of citrus!
    This is a very versatile fragrance that you can use it in all four seasons.
    Projection is very good but longevity is average.
    I get around 6 hour out of this and it's not fair for a $175 fragrance! (120ml)
    Thumbs up because of great scent, very good quality and great projection.

07 November, 2011

jasonsicilia's avatar
    jasonsicilia

A very clean non offensive scent. Also very unique. It has a creamy masculine smell that recieves many complements. Its became my work scent . Very soothing mellow fragrance. Love it.!! My go to summer frag .

23 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

While not my favorite Creed it's still a really solid daily wearer and versatile. I don't get much citrus in this and to my nose it's mainly a creamy musk with a hint of pepper. Sillage is average and longevity isn't that great on my skin, but usually I get 5 hours out of it. Comparisons to Paco Rabanne XS are valid and it is a similar scent, but Himalaya has more going on and of course the quality is evident. It resembles MI more than any other Creed fragrance so if you like MI you'll probably enjoy Himalaya. Overall I'd recommend it if your looking for a masculine work fragrance or if you enjoy musk.

29 July, 2011

bartdino's avatar
    bartdino
    Switzerland Switzerland

I can agree with who says that Himalaya is Creeds everyman fragrance (even if for me its more GIT) but it smell wonderfull...its fresh but in a warm way (...) and has 3 different phases, start very fresh and strong then become a little sour (and this is the less interesting phase) and finally is a great smooth and confortable skin scent...finally for me a great modern Creed

21st June, 2011

likouala_man's avatar
    likouala_man

Himalaya is a fragrance which has 'moments'. First there is the opening moment, the citrus blast together with some spicy pepper and some accord which just comes off 'creamy'. It is very delicious at this point, heady, intoxicating. Later the warm woods blend in and it is still very beautiful. Then even later there is a moment of sourish, conventional amber which I don't like much, but this too passes and the drydown is soft, close to the skin, and nice. I've owned Himalaya a couple of times over the years. The memory of it stays with me. There is something about it that calls you back.

15 May, 2011

Mike's avatar
    Mike

It is not hard to see why this is one of Olivier Creed's personal favorites! Himalaya is a magisterial scent, at once imposing yet sensual, warm yet cold, sweet yet firm. It really is a fragrance of extremes and dichotomous relationships. There is a great deal of citrus in the opening, which quickly segues into a heart of sandalwood and pepper, and then a base of cedar, ambergris, and musk. As with almost all of Creed's fragrances, the simplicity of the composition (that is to say, the low amount of individual notes) belies the sheer brilliance of the scent itself. I find it very difficult to describe this fragrance in words, so perhaps I will simply say that the name is truly a propos, for when one wears this, it is easy to envision trekking high atop an enormous snow-capped mountain. Despite the frigidity associated with this fragrance by many, it has a remarkable sweetness to it as well. Primarily characterized as a fresh and woody type of fragrance, I am stupefied by all of the negative reviews that complain that Himalaya is a blatant copycat of Paco Rabanne's XS--hogwash!!! Himalaya is an absolutely exquisite scent, with extreme amounts of sensuous energy. It truly is one of the best of the modern Millesimes, right up there with Bois du Portugal, Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, Tabarome Millesime, and the recently released Aventus.

24 April, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

It should have been named "Ugly Duckling"
    When I first got it I was terribly disappointed, it was so generic, to me it smelled like hundred of other scents and worst of all, it did not smell like a Creed at all. It missed that unique Creed signature note that other Creeds have, so it went to the farthest corner of my closet and lied there forgotten for some time.
    After a few months I was yearning for something I had not worn for a while and there I found it, in the hardest to reach corner of my closet and I sprayed on me and while it wasn't as bad as I remembered, still was nothing to write home about it but this time I left it in a more reachable spot and I started to use it a little more frecuently.
    Everytime I wore it, the more I like it and now the ugly duckling has developed into this beautiful swan. I enjoy Himalaya a lot now and it is my number 2 Creed after SMW leaving way behind other Creeds like OV, OS and RW.
    Actually I do not have experienced many Creeds yet, but now I can understand why this is Oliver's favorite.

30th March, 2011

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

For me I always feel special when I am wearing a Creed fragrance and I do like Himalaya a lot. It has a ice cool soapy smell to it and I like how the white musk has been blended within its composition.

This is a anytime and anywhere fragrance and if I am ever in doubt what to wear for a particular occasion I always reach for this one. Its a safe bet and never lets you down.

21st March, 2011

MOONB's avatar
    MOONB

Maybe I'm just in a good mood today, but despite all the information suggesting an opposite outcome, I'm oddly drawn to Himalaya. I find the comparisons to Paco Rabanne XS hard to believe, not to the credibility of other reviewers, but because the only fragrance that seems related to it is Quorum by Antonio Puig. For a perfume that is written off as "nothing remarkable", "not ground-breaking", and "forgettable", there's a heck of a lot going on here. Lurking beneath the prominent notes of cedar, pink pepper, sandalwood, and ambergris, are components that, taken together, comprise the mythical "gunpowder note" at Himalaya's core. I perceive this note as being not just one, but several elements - namely cyclamen aldehyde, which tints the fragrance into a shade of green, carnation, which introduces a rich sweetness, and pine, exhibited here in such a small dose as to make its presence seem ghost-like and smoky. This accord, in conjunction with the typical creamy Creed sandalwood, creates a scent that conjures imagery of Buddhist temples, incense-sweetened pews, and fresh breezes through cut flowers. It occurs to me that Olivier's interpretation of a Himalayan climb may rest more in the remote temples of Burma and Nepal, and less in the fresh snowy icecaps they're nestled in. As time passes, the integration of Himalaya's notes intensifies, and mellows into a very mild and mellow pepper, carnation, sandalwood, and ambergris. This fragrance is very understated, mature, introspective. I like it. Longevity is around 3 hours, with 2 of them strictly skin-scent. Application to fabric enhances that a little. Sillage is modest, and this requires intimacy to be fully appreciated. Here is perhaps where Himalaya falls short - it is pleasant and well-made, but not what I would consider a sexy, come-hither scent. Be that as it may, it's something worth checking out.

16 March, 2011

Oslo-Fjord's avatar
    Oslo-Fjord
    Norway Norway

Ohh I like this one! Creed Himalaya is very versatille, and it`s perfect for absolutely any occasions, seasons, and age. Casual, formal, summer, winter, day, night..if you`r looking for one Creed that fits all these criterias, you must try Himalaya. It`s both cool and warm, icy-fresh, oriental- woody, and very modern. The clean freshness makes it perfect for casual, daytime/work scent, and the heavyness makes it great as a more stylish classy evening scent for restaurant/ theatre/ bar etc. Someone complaint against the longevity. On my skin, it`s just perfect. Actually one of the best from this company. The bottle... Wow! It`s a sight for sore eyes!

08 February, 2011

diesel1990_01's avatar
    diesel1990_01

its a lame cologne ,nothing good too musky .I bought it for a mistake if I have change to exchange it would be for a bottle of vodka.

26 January, 2011

geniuzmusic's avatar
    geniuzmusic

This is a really good fragrance but I noticed as time went on it started to smell like Incense in the Catholic Church. Reminds me of frankincense, benzoin, and sandalwood. It's very unique. Longevity wasn't that big of an issue as some have stated. I do notice keeping your cologne cooler tends to give it more longevity. I suggest you try before you buy. But it's worth having in your collection.

09 August, 2010

davepar3's avatar
    davepar3

I can honestly say I have found the one. Being new to fragrences, I figured my journey to find my perfect scent would take me years and thousands of dollars. This was I think the 5th frag I bought so I didn't get too deep into my impulse buys before I found this one (and I bought it blind from fragrencenet, which I have gotten burned before buying blind but I lucked out this time).

I'm a very under the radar guy, love clean soapy peppery scents, and this is the greatest. I will wear this stuff for the rest of my life. I receive compliments on this daily. It smells fantastic. I wear it to bed, to work, to the gym, to the bar, to the lake, to the grocery store, to get an oil change, you name it, this stuff will fit the bill.

The only other frag that sounds like it's going to be my type is mulger cologne and I can't wait to get my hands on some of it.

2 thumbs up.

02 August, 2010

Ultramagnus's avatar
    Ultramagnus

I love this one - spicy and fresh at the same time. My 'go to' scent

14 July, 2010

arcady59's avatar
    arcady59

Peppery and soapy, really just a fun scent. It's strong at first, perfect for the beginning of an evening's events, and then lightens and wears close to he skin for quite some time, say 7-8 hours. I don't buy cologne for the following reason, but I've found that women really love it, which is a really a nice added touch. Again, not a deciding factor for me, but hey, I'll take it, lol. It is also a wonderful day scent; it is great for anything really, very versatile.

This has become my favorite scent by Creed, moving ahead of GIT and Green Valley. In fact this is my second favorite scent next to Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory, which is without a doubt the most intoxicating, amazing, and beautiful scent I have ever smelled. I know that sounds excessive, but I mean every word; that perfume is truly a revelation. The two scents are as different as nigh and day. I digress; Himalaya is cool and fresh and really perfect for any occasion. It also wears well year-round, but I prefer it in the winter, when it seems to project a bit more. If you are in to high-end frags, you could do far worse than this; it has a permanent place in my rotation.

24 January, 2010

trebizond's avatar
    trebizond

I've skirted around the edges of Creed since I really became interested in fragrances, approaching via Penhaligon's and L'Artisan Parfumeur, amongst others. I figured it was finally time to get involved, and first ordered a sample of Himalaya. My first impression was one of massive annoyance - I had hoped not to like it, only for the sake of my wallet and my bank manager's hair.

Unfortunately it is wonderful - complex and refined. There's a hard centre surrounded by a flowery masculinity, kind of like Rutger Hauer wearing a sarong. My bank manager is now completely bald and I'm impecunious, but nothing much matters :)

05 October, 2009

tnamey's avatar
    tnamey

Simply wonderful and sophisticated. Best Creed, with the exception of Bois d' Portugal. An all year frag, whose only major weakness is longevity, in terms of projection. But is remains close to skin for 7-8 hours.

19 September, 2009

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

peppery, clean delight. nothing fancy,just a lingering accord from beginning to end. an established scent for the established man

08 September, 2009

Jack's avatar
    Jack

I like the creed house. I just want to give another thumbs up for this. Great amber.

02 August, 2009

weylin's avatar
    weylin

This was my first step into the world of niche, and I sure wasn't disappointed.
    I'll describe it best I can.
    I get a floral/fruity opening with some crisp citrus notes. There is a faint soapiness and fainter metallic tinge. This is where it would get it's cool, arctic feel.
    As the drydown kicks in, you get to the Creed payoff: a blissful combination of ambergris, woods and musk. Warm and smooth. This is why you pay the big bucks.
    Sillage: fair to good
    Lasts fairly well too... better on clothes but I get 3-5 hours.
    Works well in hot or cold weather.
    Creed won me over on it's first try. This is my favorite male fragrance.

09 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2011)

splashit's avatar
    splashit

Simply sublime in every way. Perfect. Pricey as with all Creeds but perfect .

18 June, 2009

SmellyNinja's avatar
    SmellyNinja

The name evokes imagery of snow-capped mountains, which is fitting as Himalaya is most at home in cooler weather. But unlike other scents well-suited for colder months, Himalaya's warmth has a distinct coolness that's just perfect for someone looking for a compromise between fresh summer frags and heavier, spicy scents.

It has a pleasant subtleness to it; clean and soapy citrus and woods are combined with the trademark Creed sweet metallic inkiness, yet not as pronounced as say, SMW or MI. It stays close to the skin and won't blow anyone's socks off, which makes it a great choice to wear at the office.

26 April, 2009

Elgar Place's avatar
    Elgar Place

Himalaya is a beautifully constructed fragance that is sophisticated, warm, and sexy. I detected very little citrus in it, but a light, sweet spice note that made the frag a pleasure to wear from start to finish.

Himalaya reminds me of a refined, luxurious, subtle version of JOHN VARVATOS. While JV can be pretty harsh and medicinal at times (especially if over applied), Himalaya however remains soft and soothing, a gentle glow of a fragrance to be contemplated and savored. Worth the price . . . .

23 March, 2009