Neutral Reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

Find out more about parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

AlHamr's avatar
    AlHamr

Not the church I was looking for.

I'm sure I reviewed this before. It may have got lost in the website move.

Anyway, Avignon has not been the end of my quest for an incense that actually captures the vertical, etherial qualities of burning frankinsence (which I don't actually associate with the Catholic mass as it's not in my personal history). I'm afraid I may be looking for the impossible.

Yes, it is churchy, but for me it's less of a cathedral and more of a modern church with cheap carpets and a dwindling congregation. The incense is certainly there, together with a certain mustiness, but the feeling of height, space and the soaring trajectories of stone arches are wholly absent; rather the walls are finished in plaster board and painted in magnolia. The beeswax on the pews has been recently applied by a pleasant but somewhat pedestrian verger. And the sweetness is overpowering.

This is less the Avignon of the Western Schism, more the Basingstoke of the protestant one, and reminds me of Eddie Izzard's take on the improbability of Church of England fundamentalism: "You must have tea and cake with the vicar or you DIE!"; "CAKE OR DEATH?!"

19 September, 2013

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

First up, let me preface this by saying I've never smelled catholic church incense in my life, so I'm not approaching this stuff as the scent of a known object. It starts out rather warm and resinously sweet, though I don't feel like the underlying wood note is that sweet on its own. Even though I don't visualize any particular thing, I feel like the scent is among the more realistic of the series. It's more ambery, however, and maybe even vanillic, which for me means that it has more potential to get tiringly sweet as it moves along. The spices have a hard time cutting through that kind of sweetness. Still, it's good, maybe just a bit richer and higher-pitched than I'd like. It's just a tad christmasy-smelling and doesn't captivate me like some of the others. Because it's a bit closer than the others to being a typical ambery masculine oriental, it seems more wearable. I'd wear it in place of Heritage (very similar!) or maybe PdN New York. Interesting how it kind of pulled me back from the realm of thematic fragrances into the mainstream, just as I'm done reviewing this series.

14 May, 2013

farang's avatar
    farang
    Thailand Thailand

Church incense, yes I like that. But I don't care for the soapy scent that is part of this fragrance. I would much rather wear Kyoto.

12 November, 2012

rttoronto's avatar
    rttoronto

Catholic high mass. Not for me thanks.

05 September, 2012

blackened's avatar
    blackened
    Spain Spain

Avignon is well made but in my view, the overall result -and taking into account the genre to wich it belongs- is too politically correct and linear.
    At the same time, it seems to be possible identify a certain intent to create a parfum that resembles to.., that emulates to, instead of create a true perfume that evokes directly the image they want suggest.
    In the same way, there is some note in there that reminds me of the lead of pencils.
    I prefer much more the exoticism of Jaisalmer.

22 March, 2012

fernwood's avatar
    fernwood

Ok. Church incense. I get it. Oddly to me it starts out with a scent I can only describe as rum. Strange I know. But it gets to the incense quick enough. I too grew up in the Catholic Church and I remember the incense burning on special occasions. This is a pale version of what I remember. I too get a wee bit of vanilla in this. This is far from what I would like as an incense scent. For that try Ambra Aurea. It's beginning is dead on to what I remember. This is too weak and perfumey.

02 March, 2012

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Truly faked incense. It's good. I don't get the incense connection as the other reviews seem to talk about. And I have nothing more to add.

25 September, 2009

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Fragrance notes: Roman chamomile, cistus oil, elemi, frankincense, myrrh, vanilla, patchouli, palisander, ambrette seeds.
    Avignon is the flagship scent in the exotic and well-conceived Incense line of Comme des Garçons. I admire it, but like it the least of them. It has a very true-to-form frankincense opening: it is sweet, almost fruity, powerful and pungent. It gives a very high church atmosphere, more than a little gothic in its intensity. It is brilliantly evocative of dark cathedrals which have seen much incense and prayers. It is just too rich for my taste. Others in the line (Zagorsk, Kyoto, Ouarzazate) are more restrained and I find them haunting and attractive.

04 August, 2007

Scentologist's avatar
    Scentologist

I remember confessing my sins of omission when a gentle waft of inscense evades the monastary lumen. I categorize this fragrance as a church inscense. It has a slight synthetic feel to it. It is very dry and vastly inferior to kyoto. My sins of omission were neglecting to purchase kyoto much sooner!

23 May, 2007

phibess's avatar
    phibess

I would like Avignon much more if it didn't smell exactly like instant cola drink I remember they use to sell when I was a kid (I don't see it around any more). You poured the powder into a glass, added water and made your own Pepsi or Coca Cola rip-off. When it got flat/stale it smelled just like Avignon. Flat Cola anyone?

06 September, 2006

selah's avatar
    selah

For some reason, this smells exactly like the scent of Christmas trees on me. I love that smell when it is on a tree, but it isn't necessarily something I wish to smell like. I guess I just don't have the right body chemistry to carry this one off!

09 March, 2006

spider's avatar
    spider

not a bad scent -- pretty undistinguished oriental notes. little to sage and patchouli for me. 2MAN manages a similar scent while maintaining some uniqueness.

28 December, 2004