Reviews of Acqua Classica by Borsari

Find out more about Acqua Classica by Borsari in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sophywt's avatar

China China

It's a very fresh and simple cologne with strong juicy citrus opening, more orange than lime to me, and spiced with ginger. It's strange that not many people mention the strong presence of ginger, which gives the cologne some chill feeling mixed with its spicy aspect. Later it becomes herbal, mixed with a fainted floral notes(might be Geranium) and then a smoky woody/mossy base (it becaome more smoky on my hair than on skin).

This is not a complicated one, but its simplity somehow makes people feel friendly. I saw some peole compare it with some cologne from Acqua di Parma which I also tested before, the biggest difference between the two is, Acqua di Parma makes me feel tense, it refused to "melt" on my skin, as if i was rejected, while Borsari is totally easy-going.

20th July, 2014

PerfumeCollector's avatar

One of my favorites "Colonias", the opening is the most natural citric scent I have ever experienced, it feels like you are actually smelling lemons and oranges, more lemon than orange IMO. after a few minutes I get a "grassy" note reminiscent of "Heno de Pravia" but with a hint of spicyness making it less dry than HdP. The drydown is excellent, I get mostly woods but do not get the leather note some people mentions here.
    Sillage and logevity are better than average, but nothing extraordinary.
    A first class fragrance, made with high quality raw materials, blended to its perfection and sold aat a very affordable price.

16 April, 2012

bFlay's avatar

Opens with a dried, predominantly lemon, citrus scent that dries down to a distinct character of stagnant water - perhaps mop water with lemon PineSol cleanser? This mellows to a more obvious herbal/citrus fragrance that is pungent without being concentrated or sweet. At the base is a synthetic leather/tobacco note that is fleeting. Whole thing dissipates within 4-6 hours leaving one to debate with themselves if this is a fragrance worth having in a collection. Odd.

25 February, 2012

Harvitz81's avatar

This is a very typical Italian EdC at probably EdT strength on me. Citrus opening with a hint of herbs to it. Progresses fairly linearly with some geranium appearing in the heart and musk and oakmoss in the base, though citrus is present throughout. Though marked an EdC, I definitely get pretty good longevity out of this and much more so than AdP. I love these both and lean one way or the other depending on my mood, but given the price point of Borsari this is almost a no brainer buy. Excellent value and juice all around.

24 October, 2011

Amos Jolthead's avatar

Classica is a clean, fresh citrus with lemon/orange followed by sandalwood. It's rather inexpensive, which is a plus, but the EdC is extremely short lasting.
    As I've come to wear AC over time, I think it is more of a mature scent, perhaps better suited for the older fragrance wearer, but that may just be my opinion. Probably worth a try at least.

08 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 May, 2012)

JonB's avatar

I find Acqua Classica to be a fairly long lasting, somewhat earthy, musty lemon scent. Pretty simple, with little progression. I don't think Acqua di Parma has anything to worry about. It's inexpensive though, so it may be worth a try. For me it's too musty smelling to enjoy.

06 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st April, 2011)

MHV's avatar

I was really hoping for a more affordable Acqua di Parma, and was close to being fulfilled, but there's a "fresh" note that's really bugging me, because it smells slightly synthetic and rough. Otherwise, on the citrus front, it's good, but the fresh note turned me off.

30th January, 2011

shamu1's avatar

This fragrance is proof positive that the Acqua di Parma company is ripping you off! Although I do like AdP's colonias, Borsari's is far better, and is sold at a small fraction of the price of a bottle of AdP. I bought my beautiful 3.3 oz. bottle for only $20.

There must be hundreds of Italian-styled colognes in the market today, but I have to say that Borsari's is the best. It has the standard Italian-style lemon and orange opening, but within seconds it separates itself from the competition. There are very subtle spice and wood notes in the background that not only provide sparkling complexity, but provide an almost smoky darkness to the whole scent. The smokiness isn't prominent, but it's subtle, in the background, and adds depth you rarely smell in colognes. AdP's Colonia Intensa tried to accomplish this same effect, but lacked the refinement and subtletly of Borsari's cologne.

I don't get eau de parfum strength from Borsari (my bottle says it's a "Colonia"), but this is longer lasting than your average eau de cologne.

Wearing this is simply a delight. It is discreet yet uplifting. I feel great every time I wear this.

Anyone who says the Italians don't know how to make perfume obviously hasn't smelled Acqua Classica Borsari. A+!!

MY RATING: 9/10

31st July, 2010

bokaba's avatar

Classica smells too modern for my tastes. The opening is a fresh blast of herbs, spices, and the some leather. The leather does dry down nicely and exposes it true chypre character.

22 December, 2009

athenahelen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I have both Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta and this, Borsari Acqua Classica. When Acqua Classica is first sprayed on, there is a medicinal smell but it is not overpowering. Sort of like Guerlain's older range in the early 1930s. Colonia Assoluta is a brighter, citrusy smell. It is deeper and sweeter. Acqua Classica is drier. It is a fragrance for hot, humid weather, like here in Singapore. Acqua Classica is only a fraction of the price of Colonia Assoluta. It can be used daily after a bath or for causal wear. Sillage and longevity are average to me for both Acqua Classica and Colonia Assoluta. I like it as it is fresh and not sweet and suitable for women, unlike Hermes Eau d'Orange which although marketed as unisex is really masculine. Will reserve Colonia Assoluta for formal occasions as it's just too pricey for me.

20th June, 2009

Borsari Acqua Classica de Parma is very much like a classic citrus splash in eau de parfum strength. It opening is composed of the typical citrus (lemon and orange) and herb (sage and thyme). The herbs are a bit earthier and less refreshing than the rosemary, basil, or mint versions that are a little more prevalent. The middle turns quite spicy with pepper predominating the accord; it has a weak geranium note in the background, and though it tends to get a bit spice – cabinet – spicy, it is rather pleasant although it isn’t anywhere near as interesting as the top or the base notes. The base has one of the few leathers I can enjoy, and it is beautifully accorded with the oakmoss and vetiver. In spite of Acqua Classica being a EDP, it is a pleasantly soft and light fragrance perfect for warm weather. I enjoy this version immensely, and it has the added value of possessing much more longevity than normal for cologne splashes because it is an EDP. It is an impressive, distinguished, and elegant fragrance and it has the added and always appreciated benefit of being affordable. (Edit of 28 August 2008 review.)

23 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 October, 2009)

odysseusm's avatar

Here is my estimate of the components of Acqua Classica Borsari:
    TOP – citrus (lemon, orange)
    MID – herbs (sage, thyme), geranium, spices (pepper, cardomom)
    BASE – sandalwood, leather, oakmoss, vetiver
    This is a superb, classy light Italian chypre. The opening is lemony-brisk, natural not synthetic, and has great lasting power. Green herbs emerge which are fresh and lend a sophisticated Mediterranean character. Pepper and other spices give this a mild ‘kick’. Then light wood appears and the faintest hint of leather. Even those who avoid leather can enjoy this classic; everything is balanced, controlled and yet makes a very attractive statement. This is a great warm weather scent, it stays light. There is an extremely satisfying dry-down of moss and grassy vetiver. This gives an instant infusion of Italian suave! Bellissimo!

05 June, 2007

Zosia's avatar

Fresh. Light. Green notes with a subtle, warm base. Borsari lists Citrus, Sage, Geranium, Sandalwood, Leather and Oak Moss essences. Beautiful discrete scent.

06 March, 2007