Positive Reviews of New-York by Nicolaï

I applied New York at noon, after the gym. Just one or two short sprays. Nine hours later, leaving a rock concert I was introduced to a nice young couple by a mutual friend. The gentleman of the couple got this kind of swoony look on his face and said, "[Mrcologneguy] smells like a man who knows what he wants and how to get it." No kidding, nine hours later. New York certainly lives up to its reputation as one of the best men's fragrances. Highly recommended.
07th February, 2017
ad_scott Show all reviews
I kid you not...this one smells like the late 1980s
more than any other fragrance I've experienced. Totally reminds me of primary school in winter 1989. Walking on the assembly hall wooden floor all buffed and squeaky clean, heading for the stationery cupboard fully stocked to the ceiling with brand new pens, pencils, erasers, inks, tubes of glitter and bulk packs of paper. I think it's the powdery amber in New-York that initiates that anecdote. Masculine. Clean. Crisp. Powdery. Dusty. Interesting. Remarkable. What a great find!
15th December, 2015 (last edited: 16th December, 2015)
A classic in my book, New York is similar to Chanel Pour Monsieur EdT, but with lavender in place of cardamom in the heart, and with just a bit more oomph than CPM. A perfect scent for a gentleman at a business dinner or a holiday party. Perhaps just a bit too much for office wear. Love it and will not be without it. *****
19th September, 2015

Patricia de Nicolai - New York
I can smell that this is an impeccable created masculine, but I find it difficult to really like or love because it reminds me of 3 other perfumes: Eau Sauvage edt, Etiquette Blue and Yatagan. I cannot help to think of one of the three when I smell New York. Its opening is sweaty-cumin, sour-bitterly bergamot, thyme/rosemary and a high-pitched green lime/vetivery-note. When a soft lavender-note joints it becomes very cologne-like, with a raw green-breezy note, witch smells very classic.
From the start-on it also catches a clean soft-soapy note that grows more intense and important during its development. After the opening it gets a very clean, smooth, lactone, Mysore-sandelwood artisan handmade soap-tone, that smells like how bathfoam looks like. Then a clean vetiver-note, soft-warm oakmoss, cool myrrh and a bubblegum-toothpaste note are joining, that altogether gives New York an incredible, magnifique soft, round and velvety glance that feels extremely comfortable. I’m also able to smell clear bitter and sour taste-like smells; which I enjoy because for me that indicates that a high amount of natural ingredients has been used.
For a long time during the dryout I found it difficult to keep up my attention- its rather weak, a bit flat with not too much going on; a bitter-like cedarwood-note on a light amber-base with still a polished clean soap-note, but a little more salty/sour-like and pungent here. In my opinion it smelled too save, lightweight and dull to do its overall composition justice- it kind of disappears into oblivion or somehow bleeds to death... But after a while, when the soapy-note loses its strength more and more, more basenotes become apparent: patchouly, incense, iris and ambergris(?) create a steady accord- still no heavyweight- but it is subtle and present at the same time, radiating a tobacco/leathery-like and rooty-earthy warmth.
This perfume somehow reminds me of Peter Gabriel's 2010 live-version of ''Here Comes The Flood''- beautifully drifting in a simple an calm way, melancholic-emotional yet self-assured, but slightly missing the rawness of PG-voice. Superb stuff- and I must admit im really starting to like New York and forget the perfumes which it resembles- this could be love one day…
05th May, 2014
Perfect composition, no need to write anything more. Can fit anyone, everywhere, still without being plain. Really elegant and classy. Totally '80s also - not a hairy powerhouse, more like a wealthy young WASP signature scent. Still cool.

25th February, 2014 (last edited: 16th April, 2014)
I'm really exited to write about this fragrance because this juice is simply outstanding!
I'm pretty sure my sample is the reformulation juice but it's still a keeper.
The opening of this fragrance is a fresh,tart and bitter smell of bergamot mixed with some mossy green smell and some black pepper.
The quality of the notes is great and the scent has a very natural feeling.
As time goes by bergamot goes to the background and fragrance reaches the best part.
The mid is a mossy green smell mixed with strong, yet smooth and very well balanced dry smoky leather and some spices specially black pepper.
It's bitter, dark, smoky, dry, green, mossy, peppery, quality, well made, well balanced ..... do you want anything else from a masculine fragrance?
There is a little bit of sweetness and it's completely in the background.
I love the mid.
In the base you have the mid smell but it's smoother and a little sweeter and I can smell cinnamon in this part which is awesome.
While it has a classic vibe, it's modern and completely masculine at the same time.
Projection is good and longevity is around 6 hours on my skin.
A signature scent and bottle worthy fragrance for me.
I like this much better than "Creed BdP"
30th January, 2014
Price does not always equal quality. On one hand, Five Guys can churn out a $6 burger that's on par with burgers two to three times the price. On the other hand, I once paid thousands of dollars for a flight to and from Paris in 2009 on a mAAjor AAirline (guess which) that had no good in-flight entertainment, cramped seats, mostly mediocre food, and even mismatching overhead bins.

That said, that flight and a bad experience with my cellphone didn't ruin my trip to Paris at all. I enjoyed the sights, smells, and sounds of Paris. And close to my hotel was a Nicolai boutique - when I saw it, having read "Perfumes: The Guide" and reading the glowing review of New York, I had to stop in. I paid €20 ($30 USD at the time) for a 1 ounce bottle of New York. In return for €20, I got one of the best fragrances in my collection at any price. Rich, warm, inviting, and elegant - all in one fragrance.

If you've been on the fence regarding this one: Get it.
14th November, 2013
rbaker Show all reviews
The lemon-bergamot opening is sensational, and the lavender mellows it just to he right degree. After two hours a light, clean and elegant soapy note arrives, mixed with amber and vanilla but interestingly never really sweet in my skin - here the closeness to Shalimar is evident. Quite surpiringly, in the last third of this fragrance's duration, the lemon - in a creamier version - reappears for a while. Silage and projection are good, but the overall longevity is simply sensational: over twelve hours. The drydown and base show limited development, but this is better that most citrus compositions that have gone after a couple of hours. Magnificent. 4.5/5
14th November, 2013
Classic scent and I Love it.

A better alternative to Terre d'Hermes and longer lasting. A woman who knows me melted when she first smelled this on me. She told her husband he should smell like me. She said this was her favorite of all the fragrances she has experienced on me. ( Eveerytime she see's me she has to smell me to see what I'm wearing, because she said I always smell so good)

Pros: Classic and Sophisticated a mature scent
Cons: None

04th June, 2013
This perfume seems to embody some of the best elements of classic male citric-spicy-sweet-orientals of the 1970s-1980s, as if in 1989, Nicolai took the best of the genre for those decades and refined it all into New York. While sharing aspects with numerous other perfumes of its time, there is something about New York that I find much more warm, inviting, nuanced, self-assuredly humble, and comforting than the others. It walks a perfect line between the bitter-citric, spicy, and sweet moves one associates with the era, keeping those elements acutely balanced. It is a bit mysterious to me that while I note the warmer, sweeter elements of this fragrance, they are hardly there when sniffed close, leaving me to wonder if this smells even better from a few feet away.

New York evokes, to me, classy menswear of the 1980s, and those who wore it with style and ease. While not entirely unique or groundbreaking, it is among the best in its class, if not the best, and could easily become a go-to perfume for practically any occasion, especially the office. If this is niche, it is more by association than smell, yet it is a step above the scents to which it is frequently compared, and in my opinion, worth the extra money. Some will say it is dated, but to me that means it does not smell like what others are wearing; and besides, my generation and those younger probably would not pick up on it anyway. A child of the 70s-80s, this strikes me as classic, timeless, and comforting.
01st May, 2013
This flagrance has really grown on me. With work or a formal meeting I always seems to go for New York. It is sophisticated, not too loud and despite that also not boring. On the contrary, New York is pretty unique from the initial blast of citrus till the powdery drydown. Where do you find all those qualities in one flagrance?
27th November, 2012
This fragrance reminds me a lot of Vintage Tabarome. The tobacco note isn't there, but the overall feel of the fragrance is similar. It smells like quality and money.
24th November, 2012
Man, it hurts me to write this. The older formula of New York was in my top 2 or 3 fragrances. It was my favorite versatile cologne, I wore it for just about any occasion and setting. It was rich, orange and amber, spicy-sweet, powdery, and a little mossy, just great, and lasted all day long. One of the most comfortable colognes I've ever worn.

I recently (Nov. 2012) got a new bottle, 100ml, and I feel cheated and disappointed. As others have already noted, this has been reformulated and weakened. It does smell almost the same, but it is weaker and only lasts about 3 hours. Big, big difference in longevity. Ouch. If you've never worn the older New York, you might enjoy this. But if you loved the old one, prepare to be possibly disappointed. : (

Edit: after a few more tries, I'm changing my rating to thumbs up. It's not as bad as my first impressions. You just have to apply a little more heavily and it kind of works, but still not as good as it used to be.
20th November, 2012 (last edited: 09th January, 2013)

This parfume reminded me of amouage homage, with its ambery sweet dry down,

I learnt to love patchouly- sandalwood combination in all nicolai perfumes, but this here is really masculine heavy patchouly, smokey, peppery......it bites in a sophisticated way,rich,opulent.

The difference between modern and vintage version is striking, as in any other modern vs vinatge example. Vintage is worthy of full bottle, modern is half way weaker, and thinner, not that smokey rich patchouly, its like meh, compared to the old, and somehow set up in3 different parts(citrus opening,amber pathcouly synthetic middle, sweet amber end), while vintage smells like one coherent unit.
09th October, 2012 (last edited: 21st April, 2013)
There is an air of salubriousness and comfort to New York that, depending on the mood, makes it just right or a bit of a bore.
Greenish bittersweet orange mixed with a touch of something mossy and a good dusting of powder: everything is familiar and can appear a bit ho-hum at times, but as with all well-executed things there is really no exact point of comparison, the thing is the thing itself. I love it on days when I'm feeling more like a gent (though of the open-collared variety) and then its perfect radiance, the gorgeous powderiness and the balance of its elements is unbeatable. Lasts forever and a day without tiring out the nose.
18th June, 2012
This perfumed beast, as well as many  reviewers underlined, sails in the same oceanic waters of many stars of the olfactory stage; everybody mentioned a huge range of fragrances going from Heritage to Eau Savage, from Habit Rouge to Bois du Portugal, passing on the side of Jaipur, Egoiste, Obsession and Pour Monsieur. Personally the fragrance that much more reminds me New York (i mean as kind of statement expressed and not necessarily by strict olfactory resemblance ) is the Classic Boucheron Pour Homme for its plain citrusy mould (the Boucheron one is drier, more herbal, far more floral and stressed in lemony feel while this one is slightly more orangy). Boucheron Pour Homme shares with New York also its  cleverly vintage temperament (citrus-lavender, bergamot and oakmoss) , the notable sophistication, its subtleness, its barely balmy feel. I find more similarities between New York and Bois du Portugal (which has anyway a more vintage and british chord  of bergamot-citrus lavender and a more boise', bright and woody vibe) than with the spicier, sweeter and more vanillic Heritage. Anyway, the paths of comparison would be many and i would like to be much more analytic. The New York's opening is uncompromisingly citrusy and spicy at once (the citrus are basically  lemon and orange), aromatic, fluidy of water-lavender and flavoured by a rich but not overwhelming and particularly mysterious blast of cloves and cinnamon. This averagely sharp phase reminds much more a sort of Acqua di Parma Colonia than properly a spicy oriental and lasts for a couple of hours in its conservative vibe while some astringent flowers keep on steady the level of general moderation. Is like the smell is reticent to express its final touch of "orientalism". The final ambery-mossy and woody accord indeed is moderately powdery and barely balmy, the final vetiver seems to return back a touch of that aqueous feel that keeps a relation with the starting citrus-lavender. The note of amber, in its chord with a shadowy and conservative oakmoss-lavender of the forest, joins in a sort of connection the citrusy top with a fluidy woodsy bottom, impressing a touch of density to the final link. The outcome is extremely balanced and classy, a timeless kind of worldwide elegance.
19th January, 2012 (last edited: 12th November, 2014)
Zowiee Show all reviews
Love it! took me a few wearings to really love this one, as I did smell similarities to a few other fragrances (BdP & a bit of Oscar Por Lui). But, it really is unique and I find myself wearing it often!
14th January, 2012
Initial review: Combine Chanel's Pour Monsieur Concentree with Shulton's Old Spice, and you get OJ's New York! OK, it's not exactly the same, and New York is definitely my preference over cpmc, but you get the idea. Enjoyable scent if you don't mind spending the money.
12th December, 2011
drseid Show all reviews
Extremely well-made scent by PdN. New York starts off with a blast of enticing orange and lemon and then completely changes direction an hour or so later. It then turns into a very dry and sharp powdery scent that is a bit less enticing, but still very distinct. I rarely notice such a sharp evolution of a scent on my skin as I did here. Also of note for those interested is New York has been a real compliment getter and seems to have some very good sillage and longevity. Bottom line is New York may not be groundbreaking, but it is so well-polished, pleasant smelling and high quality that it is an easy "buy" recommendation to all with a rating of 4 out of 5 stars in its vintage form.
22nd August, 2011 (last edited: 28th December, 2012)
When I first tried New York, I went Meh!
I tried and tried and still went Meh!
As time went on I just got used to it and then I started to look for it, and then quelle horreur my 30ml bottle was more than half empty.......then I had to start rationing... then it was all gone and it's emptiness started to haunt me, how could I not own a full bottle of this masterpiece.
So I bought one.
If anyone is looking to niche perfumes for men and needs somewhere to start, this is ideal.
26th July, 2011
I guess any good perfumisto/perfumista, sooner or later, has arrived to the point to wonder what makes of a fragrance a good fragrance. Uniqueness? Raw Materials? Execution? My personal answer is that, while all this elements can make the difference, at the same time they may not necessarely coexist and New York is a good example of my statement.

This fragrance isn't among the most unique or distinctive around, it doesn't count rare or precious raw materials in the note list, but it's definitely well executed. Don't expect something groundbraking or outstanding as you will be disappointed. All the Luca Turin's talking about New York has created great expectations among perfume lovers, expectations that too often have been unattended. Just try to approach this composition with an open mind, as if it were just one among others and not Turin's favourite and you'll discover a great fragrance.

The first comparison that came to my mind when I first smelled New York is the one with an old armchair your family bought in the 70's. It was handmade, not particularly beautiful but extremely comfortable and solidly crafted that rapidly became your family's favourite. During the years it survived to several relocations, to new eye-catching designer fournitures, to technology and it's still there in your living room. Worn-out, somehow out of date but still your favourite. New York is all of this. It's not original, it's not the most catchy fragrance around and it's definitely old-fashioned but it's still tremendously reliable and honest. These aspects are its points of strenght.

I won't go through note explanation as you can find billions of descriptions anywere but let me report one thing a good friend of mine used to quote:

"Don't try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out". Henri Matisse.

Thanks Saripatates.
24th July, 2011 (last edited: 13th February, 2012)
With all of the praise this scent gets around here I had to see what up. I got a sample and as always put a spray on my forearm the minute I got it. A few minutes later it was on my neck and chest. I am not big on citrus scents, but this one is very nice.

It starts off with a "bright" lemon that lasts a few minutes and then it starts to mellow down. I do not have a good enough nose to tell you what the middle is , but it is nice. The real payoff with "New York" is the base. It retains the lemon, but it is a mellow lemon that mixes very nicely to create a creamy lemon, wood, musk base that is very much worth the price of this juice.

You need to sample this one even if you ultimately do not get it just so you can experience it once or twice.
22nd July, 2011
I quote from Luca the Great:
"New York's exquisite balance between resinous orange, powdery vanilla, and salubrious woods shimmers from moment to moment, always comfortable but never slack, always present but never loud. It is one of the greatest masulines ever...".

I formed my opinion of it right away. Instantaneous even. I felt that this was a uniquely superior class of scent with all of the ingredients working together to create something greater than the sum of its parts.

But no wonder I like it. Luca lists two of my favorites notes: orange and vanilla. Neither of which I smell in New York. I don't smell anything individually. It's all together.
21st June, 2011
The lemon citrus opening is surprisingly mellow rather than tart, with hints of herbs adding bitter-green nuances. Cinnamon and some other well-blended spices give it texture, a little woodsy quality or masculine vibe if you like. The heart smells somewhat floral, if a little clove-y and I wondered if carnation is in use. No matter. The drydown arrives some 2-3 hours later, just a touch sweet with a subtle yet powdery melange of amber and oakmoss.

To be honest, I didn't enjoy it at first as it had felt a little staid but subsequent few wearings had me completely won over, revealing exactly why this had been a staple in Luca Turin's wardrobe for over 10 years. On my skin NEW YORK wears just as smoothly, with a soft sillage that reminds me of a quieter, more refined version of Eau de Rochas Homme. While it doesn't exactly impress me the way all the hype had led me to believe, I find its elegance and classical leanings no less appealing. It speaks to the gentleman in me.
09th February, 2011 (last edited: 10th February, 2011)
Who poured Ungaro II into my Minotaure? This stuff is awesome.
20th January, 2011
I wanted to really like this but it is for an older crowd i think.. maybe 25 and up. I smell the lemon from the get go then it wears off to the a light amber and vetiver but it is interesting. It isnt too strong except for the lemon in the beginning. It isnt a bad fragrance but i would not wear it. It more of a date, night, sophisticated scent if that helps, i imagine that a guy that is bigger and confident would wear this, not to be stereotyping.

edit: after letting this settle, i changed it too thumbs up because it turns to something pretty good. still maturer but now i just enjoy it more then my first test. Also i get get a little soapiness to it but it really really light and makes it sophisticated
12th January, 2011 (last edited: 14th January, 2011)
Whenever I open my bathroom cupboard, amongst the melange of smells that are released, the amber notes of New York are what jump out at me, above all the other scents in there, and they are the notes I find myself drawn to every time.

Sometimes I can resist, and will find something else to wear. Mostly, I cannot.

My nickname at university was Nicolai. My favourite city is New York. This was made for me. I will spend my lifetime drowning in its beauty.

15th December, 2010
Perfume is a very important part of my life. When a special occasion is coming up, I don't really spend much time thinking about what clothes I am going to wear, but I do think about my scent. The problem is that the fragrance ends up commanding my attention over everything else. but there are times when I just want to smell fantastic, and that's when I choose New York.

If I were ever nominated for an Oscar or a Nobel Prize, I would probably spend a lot of time trying to choose the perfect scent for the occasion -but at the last minute I might just end up reaching for New York. It's my default choice for a special occasion -unassuming, elegant and always perfect -whether it's part of my grand plan or not.
11th December, 2010
NevilleM Show all reviews
A warm sunset, glowing orange, seen from the forest edge. Citrus over smoky wood with wafts of soft amber and occasional notes of something more exotic.
As the sun sets and the citrus becomes a memory the soft warm glow stays with you for hours.

22nd August, 2010
What's in a name? Does NYC really smell like powerhouse oriental? It's been a while since I've been there, but unless Bloomberg kidnapped a descendent of JP Guerlain and made them perfume the air, NYC still smells like a toilet…

Oh yeah, the scent. A descendent of Guerlain heritage, though it appears she was cut out of the picture some years ago, Patty Nicholai has created a fragrance that eclipses anything Guerlain have out in the masculine field. She even did it in Guerlain's signature oriental style, perhaps as a revenge.

Revenge or not, NY sings "New York, New York" very well. NY is a rich and bold oriental that has the balance right between fresh (oranges/bergamot), spicy (cloves, oakmoss & peppers/pimentos) and sweet (vanilla & amber). Simple yet complex at the same time. Smells expensive and obviously contains a fair amount of natural oils. How Patty keeps this under $80/100mls, I'll never know. Forget Guerlainade, we now have Nicholaiade! Guerlain is dead (see Homme), long live the queen.
17th August, 2010