Neutral Reviews of Tenaz by Daniel de Fasson

Find out more about Tenaz by Daniel de Fasson in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Mysticman's avatar
    Mysticman

I bought a bottle of Tenaz at clearance prices some time ago (less than $10 for 50 ml) at Perfumania, and found it a unique and very pleasant chypre. Lately I've seen it advertised for jaw-dropping prices ($150 to $300 a bottle), and I'm sorry, but it just ain't THAT good (hardly anything is, in my opinion).

According to one website, it has topnotes of bergamot, lavender, jasmine and magnolia, mid-notes of pepper, cedar and sandalwood, with base notes of tobacco and musk. The floral elements are understated, and I also notice a warm, smooth amber (benzoin, perhaps?) in the drydown. It reminds me a little of Giorgio Red for men, but smoother and more subtle, and not quite as long-lasting. Since Red has been reissued at more reasonable prices, I can't imagine why anyone would buy Tenaz at several times the cost.

My neutral rating reflects the inflated pricing. Tenaz is a well-blended fragrance that would easily rate a thumbs-up at reasonable prices, but at $150 a pop and up, it's only average.

11th May, 2011