Reviews of Oyédo by Diptyque

Find out more about Oyédo by Diptyque in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Detergent people are always thinking of something new to consume, however pointless it may be. Say, cotton candy scented fabric softener. "Yeah, great idea, let’s make a sticky-sweet-synthetic-citrus-fresh fabric softener. But guess what, we'll test-market it as a niche fragrance." This was designed by one sick puppy of a nose. On the drydown it gets to smell like very hops-heavy beer spilled over a barroom floor the preceding night. Actually, that is nearly an improvement. One of the all-time lows of niche perfumery.

02 July, 2008

Jemimagold's avatar

I am a huge citrus fan and I like everything from Light Blue, to Eau d’Hadrien, to Bigarade Concentree (plus I have many Diptyque candles) so I was all prepared to love Oyédo . Unfortunately, Oyédo was flat and disappointing with a distinctive overlay of sweetish powdery notes which obscured any meaningful citrus smell. To my nose, Oyédo is a close fragrance kin to my local grocery store’s house brand of lemon scented fabric softener, which is not a compliment.

There is no zing or fun at all with Oyédo . As I smelled it, I just kept thinking “generic boring sweet lemon”. Yawn. For comparison purposes, I spritzed Etro’s Lemon Sorbet on my other wrist which was decidedly lemony, spicy and stylish, in contrast.

07 May, 2008

Words's avatar

Sweet sweet citric candy. Such a thick sweetness, go with 2 sprays and you're set for the day. It's funny to see people describe it as lifesaver-like, because that's exactly what comes to mind when Oyedo is first sprayed. Orange lifesaver, indeed. A great scent, but difficult to wear as an everyday-citrus.

11th April, 2008

germanomio's avatar

France France

thyme and mandarine
    simple fresh but a little bit too linear

09 April, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

Bizarre take on grapefruit. I really like its crispness, its odd soapy/fruity qualities and its herbal/citrus-y dry-down, really I do. Still, I just can't imagine wearing it. Not many men could pull this one off -- I give kudos to those who can. (And I wear Shalimar.)

09 January, 2008

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Gorgeous sweet fresh citrusy one but like jelly babie one.
    Very unisex
    i adore it

20th June, 2007

Marlen’s right…Lifesaver time. Like a tangerine and a lime lifesaver in the mouth at the same time. But it lasts a lot longer than the Lifesavers last. At least with Lifesavers, if you don’t like them, you just spit them out… of course, the fragrance is not as bad as all that and I don’t feel the need to wash it off, but it certainly is not what I want to smell like—a couple of sharp, syrupy sweet Lifesavers. The thyme does a good job of BEGINNING TO tone down the citrus exuberance, but, to my taste, there needs to be a lot more toning down. And the wood in the base does not project very much, but it is a very nice wood accord. Oyédo is a fun scent — very good quality ingredients, excellent construction, and great longevity. I could see this fragrance being deservedly appreciated by many people …just not by me.

03 February, 2007 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2008)

JDBIII's avatar

Well, it started out like candy, and that didn't bother me too much. Then, it went away completely, and that didn't bother me too much. Then it came back with a vengeance, the herbal accord smelling like intense BO, and it wouldn't go away. And, that really bothered me. So, I tried it again, and I suffered through the same terrifying experience. This is my first Diptyque scent, so I guess there is nowhere to go but up.

After trying it many more times, I can say with vigor that I detest this scent. All I can smell is a sickening blend of methyl anthranilate and cashmeram, in other words, molded grape jelly. Surely, someone at Diptyque must have said NO to this beast.

11th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2010)

Fiorello's avatar

Oyédo is a unique citrus/aromatic fragrance for sure, it's definitely more feminine than masculine. It's interesting enough, that all lovers of this type should at least give it a try. It is definitely more suitable for casual pursuits. At the onset, yes, I can smell the connections others have made to Fruit Loops and gum drops but I feel it opens up more broadly than that. I instantly fell in love with the tangerine, (yuzu)? and lime accord which is pure, non-western sunshine in a bottle. The dryness of the lime and thyme combination keeps the lot from becoming too sweet for me--although there has to be a sweet floral note that's not listed in there. I found myself being reminded of L'Eau de L'Artisan sans its fanfare basil-mint accord and replaced with a more subdued, sweet(ish)-herb green and slight, (cedar)? drydown. This is one of those, "don't overdo it, although it's light" fragrances, although you may find yourself wanting to reapply it quite often. I would probably choose L'Eau de L'Artisan before Oyédo. I'm giving it a thumbs up though, because it is just so unique.

17 September, 2006

SniffQ's avatar

Yuzu, herbs, blast of citrus. Sharp sparkle, lift-me-up-give-me-hope, then a disappointing drydown.
    Wet fruit washed with strong soap, left to dry in the sun. Stays at mid-note with a vengence. And stays and stays. The body wash is lovely. I use it to wash my delicates and its a great fresh feel.

15 September, 2006

czesc's avatar

excellent! sweet and candy-like but at the same time not cloyingly so, its very fresh and aqueous, also has a bit of a "cool" feeling to it. totally wearable by a man, i've gotten many compliments on it

19 February, 2006

scenteur7's avatar

Yuck...smells like a lefesaver. Absolutely did not work for me and even on a test strip, this is nothing that I want to smell like.

01st February, 2006

John.com's avatar

Pleasant enough but not particularly masculine. I found it to be somewhat sweet and reminiscent of hard candy or gum drops. Absolutely more suited for Woman.

18 December, 2002

opalsdad's avatar

Oyedo was the original name for Tokyo. It is strong citrus scent with a main note of yuzu. A number of herbs are in the background and the scent is extremely long lasting for a citrus fragrance.

26 November, 2002