Reviews of Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Find out more about Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

Very crisp citrus top notes introduce an appealingly simple patchouli accord of unusual brightness and clarity. The light touch and refinement in execution set this patchouli accord apart from most others I know. If you find amber and patchouli scents like Mazzolari Patchouli or Montale’s Patchouli Leaves too dense and sweet, you’re likely to appreciate Patchouli Patch. Also noteworthy is the manner in which patchouli, normally tenacious and treated as a base note, here serves as a top note. Patchouli Patch’s title note bows out almost completely after less than an hour’s wear.

What remains in its wake is a crisp, spicy woody oriental composition of the sort at which Bertrand Duchaufour excels, but this time rendered very pale and quiet. Too quiet, I think, for its own good. The later stages of Patchouli Patch are so shy they feel apologetic, as if the patchouli were a breach of etiquette, and the remainder a penitential gesture. I appreciate the novelty of a luminous, clean, and polite approach to patchouli, but Patchouli Patch goes too far for my taste. When I’m in the mood for an urbane, civilized patchouli fragrance, I turn to Nicolai’s Patchouli Homme (Patchouli Intense) which is no less refined, but much more penetrating and complex than Patchouli Patch.

23 June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Honest, linear, mild and discreet patchouli, with a substantial earthy-dusty sweet side (cocoa beans like), a mellow sandalwood base and a subtle but refreshing herbal/floral breeze, really pleasant and unique. A month came to my mind: September. It has that same quiet, smoky and malinconic suspended understatement that characterises that month - summer is over, autumn is not there yet, we kind of wait for something to happen, days shorten, the weather is warm and pale... oh, well. It eventually evolves moving on a more balsamic/herbaceous territory, always quite soft, round, restrained and docile – L'Artisan signature lightness, in short. It is undoubtably well composed, as you feel all the notes clearly and they smell great: it is a light and lively patchouli with a peculiar base carefreeness and brightness which make it stand apart. Carefree but also evocative and meditative. Despite I personally prefer other patchouli scents which amplify and shape better its raw earthiness – notably, for example, Patchouli Nobile by Nobile 1942 – I must admit this take by L'Artisan is really pleasant, a bit shy and delicate but elegant, balanced, smart and worth a try (even a blind buy in case of bargains!). Quite close to skin but also quite persistent.

7,5/10

03 May, 2014

rbaker's avatar

The patchouli is gorgeous, typical, smooth but with a touch of rich earthiness. A star anise remains respectfully in the background on my skin, and that is about all. High-quality and convincing in it's focused approach, making up for its lack of variability and development. Adequate silage and projection with three hours of longevity. Nice on cooler spring days.

09 January, 2014

iodine's avatar

Autumnal Patchouli

Patchouli Patch opens marvellously, with a ripe, mellow and smiling Osmanthus note that sublimes the natural fruity, boozy shades of patchouli.

Then, the flowery- fruity opening deepens with leathery, almost metallic and spicy facets -the official list says star anise, Luca Turin says fenugreek... to my nose it's a kind of Indian spice mix, none particularly detectable- among which an earthy, dry but not too camphoraceus, alas!, patchouli sits royally. The fragrance feels airy and luminous, with a kind of Early Autumn vibe.

Everything would be perfect if, at this stage, a huge, "furry" musk didn't emerge and slowly overwhelm every other note. It must be my hyper sensitivity- and poor endurance- with most musks, but the rather long drydown isn't welcome to my nostrils, though it never reaches the offensive level.

It's a pity, as the top and mid notes are truly beautiful and skilfully balanced.

29 September, 2013

Tony T's avatar

feminine

very rich and well done from my fav niche house but not for men. i would not wear this in public or angel for women. both are a bit similiar though this is straight up patchouli and nothing much more. i can not wear this  and i am very upset with my blind buy. at least i should be able to get majority of my cash back as i paid about 85 bucks for an almost full 3.4 oz bottle..

Pros: long lasting
    Cons: too feminine

21st May, 2013

tymanski's avatar

this is an elegant, subtle study in the component facets of patchouli, and it's successful as such. an almost indolic patchouli, rather than earthy, starts things off. it's so well-blended with white musk, woods and immortelle that the patchouli is never dominant. the drydown stars anise and this radiates nicely for hours with this most anti-hippie of patchoulis. interesting and totally wearable at all times.

28 April, 2013

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

This is a nice, bright and spicy patchouli. It has the same "transparent" quality that most of the L'Artisans seem to have. I prefer my patchouli more on the dark, dirty side and prefer the smoky drama of Le Labo's Patchouli 24. But again, this is nice and should be in the collection of anyone who collects patchouli-based fragrances.

07 April, 2013

calnadur's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

All the good things about Patchouli Patch have already been said, and I agree with most: this is a somewhat unusual patchouli, much fresher (almost minty at drydown) and more aerial than this warm, dirtish and earthy oil is supposed to be.

It is for sure an elegant fragrance, gentle and soft by design, but I found myself at times wanting a little more from it, more life, something more daring. Still, a very classy and totally enjoyable scent.

11th March, 2013

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Powdery, silky patchouli with impeccable manners, despite a hint of booze on its breath. No obnoxious ‘look at me’ tantrums; instead a sweet subtlety underpinned with a slight touch of sweat and wood. Refined, relaxed, wears like an aura. May possibly disappoint patchouli die-hards.

14 December, 2012

Roper-Hall's avatar

As I waved the scent soaked test paper under my nose, I was suddenly 14 again, buying patchouli oil in a head shop on yonge street in Toronto. The semblance was brief but poignant, as this fragrance developed and bloomed well beyond the linear scent of that oil. Well balanced and present, without being an overbearing bore.

02 September, 2011

Orpheus99's avatar

Slapped in the face with cherry cough syrup for the first 20 seconds. Wow, that was unpleasant. This fades, but the sweet fruitiness remains throughout, the medicinal note does not.

Where are you patchouli? I have heard of rounding the sharp edges off of a scent, but this one has been filed down to nub. I am picking up some florals. Seems fairly feminine to my nose.

If I am going to wear a fragrance with patchouli in the name, I had better smell patchouli. This is not a bad smell, it's just not for me.

04 August, 2011

The_Cologneist's avatar

I do not like patchouli, but I am open to trying everything. This is said to be the crem de la crem of patchouli based fragrances. It's certainly much cleaner than the others. It doesn't remind me of hippies. It isn't as earthy. It's very smooth, and actually lives up to its reputation. This really is THE patchouli to own. Granted you love patchouli, enough to wanna wear it as a single note fragrance pretty much. All I get out of this is patchouli, from start to finish. And if ya know me, ya know I don't much care for patchouli.

From the unbiased point of view though, this is good stuff. And it lasts forever, 12+ hours on my skin.

14 April, 2011

Kalindi's avatar

Fellow favorable reviewers have done this lovely scent justice. Like most of you I do not love patchouli on its own -- but this is a beautiful, softly elegant blend of earthy patchouli, soaring immortelle, and rosy florals. Drydown is supersoft and very pretty. On a trip to Southern California last fall, Patchouli Patch made this Ohio girl feel Bohemian-hip, a little wild, bright and lively as the waves rolling up on Venice Beach. Wear it while the sun shines.

31st March, 2011

Late-Hit's avatar

This is not the fierce and camphoraceous patchouli of head-shop days gone by, but rather the smell of a little garden where patchouli plants once grew... and then the patch was rototilled.

All through the dry down I am reminded of the smell of an old antique store, with bare wood floors, a lot of old books, and maybe some turpentine rags by the back door.

Yes, I like it a lot... but I'm actually surprised that more people don't hate it. Patchouli Patch is a very unusual fragrance.

07 December, 2010

orrisboy's avatar

Now I don’t like patchouli. So why the hell did this just wrap me up tight and obsess me so? The quality of the patchouli shines like a burning light, almost white in its clarity and beauty. As soon as the curve arced off my skin I knew I was in trouble. I ran my tongue across my own wrist; I just had to know what it tasted like. If it smelt that good, then surely it had to taste like the walls of heaven. The patchouli note literally collides with rose and shatters all around you, splinters of purple and red slowly rolling through charged particles of heated air. I wore it out to a small dark underground cocktail bar, everybody noticed. I gave off heat like a crackling sinful ember. Papal, dirty and highly charged, what more could you want from a fragrance?

09 September, 2010

WildThingy's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

As to avoid crude marketing poetics, this scent is about dry, herbal. The basenotes show some gentle sweetness, but top to middle woody, herbacious accords dominate the overall impression. Bitterness is in sight, but still out of reach, but not too far. As has been mentioned before the drydown as a paradox shows to be the most lubricated, easy going, slightly fresh part.

This fragrance complements Etat Libre D'Orange's Nombril Immense and Eloge Du Traitre. It leans towards sensuality as the former, but could be taken as earnest - with a wink of the eye too - as the latter. But reverse. Austerity relaxes into plush sensuality That makes the more sense when grown-up dating comes into mind ... schedule wise.

PP avoids the heavy patchouli pattern, it avoids to develop into a to sweet oriental direction, it is dense, dry and feels complete. For me personally it fits the gap between the both abovementioned ELDOs perfectly. I wouldn't have bought it without the two beside. To appreciate it's qualities it could take several full wearings. That calls for a bigger sample, to buy unsniffed isn't recommended. To special, really!

04 August, 2010

tonileefiore's avatar

Pretty, pretty, pretty and unique...unmistakable patchouli but with a touch of difference. Definitely not your basic, overwhelming, hippie patchouli oil that you can purchase from the oil fragrance monger at a local street fair. This is patchouli with warmth, elegance and class.

This is a definite if you are a patchouli lover (I am not...not a patchouli lover when the fragrance stands alone). I did not get a lot of musk with this fragrance as others have stated. However, the patchouli notes are obviously very apparent throughout. I found this scent to be a very linear fragrance (to my nose, at least), not too complex. Patchouli Patch is a very round, full-bodied, warm, humble, embracing scent. I think the middle notes of vanilla and spice make this scent beautiful without turning it into a gourmand-y mess! Longevity is good...sillage is nice, almost perfect!

Definitely worth the price and the experience if you are looking for a traditional patchouli fragrance with a twist!

25 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2011)

Kaern's avatar

Has a 'don't be a breadhead man' hippie opening and I was fearing the worst, but stick with it and a spicy curry note kicks in (fenugreek, I think) topped up with a rather lovely soft wood note to follow the patchouli home. Lasts all day.

PS. I have found the most fantastic spicy scent I have ever experienced. It's called -'Spice for Him' and is by the French house Micallef -- mindblowingly good albeit expensive. The house isn't registered on Basenotes, but if you can get a bottle, don't hesitate.

04 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

This is one of the best patchouli fragrances on the market. To say that this is a patchouli hater's scent is complete nonsense. This is a patchouli lover's scent. Granted, this isn't a loud, screaming patchouli like in Mazzolari Lui, but the patchouli note is very prominent from beginning to end. There is some immortelle in here which, believe it or not, does not steal the show, and acts more as a pedestal propping up the patchouli note, which is the star of the show in Patchouli Patch. The patchouli, though prominent, is rounded and buffed out by an iris-like ingredient, which gives the scent a bit of a dusty, almost purple-colored hue.

If you love patchouli but want a refined, sophisticated patchouli fragrance, rather than a dirty, earthy patchouli, then Patchouli Patch is worth every penny.

17 February, 2010

jenson's avatar

India India

Patchouli Patch is a delight to wear and one of the classiest Patch dominant scents i have come across. suprisignly werable and most importantly, enjoyable experience all the way.
    Opens with a soft and lovely accord of freshly ploughed mud with hints of floral elements adding to a bit of skank and sweetness. This scent stays linear and gets more soft and powdery as we approach mid accords. mid to basenotes has the divine combination of vanilla, incense and patchouli. this is essentially a muddy & powdery patch based scent sweetened to perfection by floral and Vanilla. a must have for any patch lover.

28 September, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

L'Artisan Patchouli Patch

Ever since I first smelled patchouli oil on a person in my early teens I have liked the scent of it. There is something about patchouli that comes off as a comfort scent on me and also, in some way, reminds me of my youth at the same time. I own and like many of the patchouli-based scents that are available and it doesn't take much more than a well-blended mix of patchouli to get my seal of approval. The 2002 L'Artisan release Patchouli Patch does have something else going for it besides the titular note it also has my favorite current perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour as its co-designer, along with Evelyne Boulanger. That takes Patchouli Patch up a notch, for me. The top of Patchouli Patch is an interesting mix of patchouli and the sweet floral note of osmanthus. The combination accentuates the sweeter aspects of patchouli but it also allows the herbal contrast inherent in patchouli to stand out more clearly, as well. The move into the heart is accompanied by sheer white musk which adds a quality of making the patchouli feel broken-in as if you've been wearing it for hours instead of an hour. The white musk gives the feel of a sun-warmed skin accord and that seems perfect. The base is an interesting choice to pair the patchouli with a stark anise. The cool anise is at right angles to the now warm patchouli and gives the base of Patchouli Patch an icy warm feel that is great to experience. The choice of a few notes to go with patchouli which progress the scent from sweet to warm to cool is really quite inspired. Patchouli Patch has avarage longevity and sillage on me. Yes its easy to get me to like a patchouli perfume but in the case of Patchouli Patch its a pleasure to wear and no hardship to enjoy.

26 September, 2009

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Bertrand Duchaufour applies the masters touch to this patchouli standout fragrance by adding soft but cool complimentary notes all around the patchouli to tame the beast. The result is a light gentle patchouli blend that exposes the feminine, earthy side of this normally aggressive fragrance for a peaceful patchouli blend that works nicely to satisfy the "inner hippie" for either gender.

The scent begins with a lightly sweet peachy floral osmanthus which opens the patchouli central note. Using osmanthus to tone down the patchouli with its subtle sweetness is a very original blending idea that I've not seen with patchouli before - Brilliant idea! The back side of this patchouli story is woven with cool tones of translucent white musk and a complimentary anise oil layer. The cool mint of patchouli is complimented and enhanced by this equally cool base of white musk and anise for a nice woody but starkly cold closing chord. Overall Patchouli Patch is a very simple story of a very few notes that work so well together. The peach floral osmanthus opens the patchouli scent, while the white musk and anise softly cools and closes it down. A perfectly put together patchouli story!

I keep giving thumbs up to patchouli blends and it appears I might rubber stamp approval for every patch fragrance around, but not true! I am routinely turned off by the over used patchouli standard formula that tames patchouli oil with vanilla and/or amber sweetness then calls it done. I am also really turned off by pure patchouli oil strength and blends that emphasize the masculine nature of patchouli when it is plenty too strong to begin with. My inner child craves a great patchouli scent and I can not ignore any original and really good patchouli creation - such as this L' Artisan beauty. Extra stars for a unique use of complimentary notes and the creation of a perfect simplicity- Patchouli Patch -far out!

09 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2009)

vintage*red's avatar

If only I could wait through the very disturbing (what is that?) opening! It's all about the drydown for me. Vanilla and fruit keep this very beautiful patchouli wearable. And, yes, there is a "hippie" element that keeps this patchouli scent honest. If you are going to wear a perfume called "Patchouli Patch", it should smell like the herb which I grow every summer. And this one does... PS I find myself thinking about this perfume all the time. The patchouli is incredible when it finally surfaces. I may need to buy a bottle...PPS The opening note that disturbs me is osmanthus.

16 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 October, 2009)

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

I haven’t smelled the old and now discontinued Patchouli from this house. From what I have heard, I presume it was much better. I mean, it is very easy to believe because this doesn’t do anything special for me.

To my nose Patchouli Patch is not a bad scent. It is well made gentle, fresh and earthy fragrance. It really does show a subtle side of this plant. Deep and nuanced blend mainly of patchouli, iris and light subdued musk which despite the hushed character is very dominating.

This is easy to wear “I-don’t- want-to-offend-anyone” fragrance. (Naturally if you overload then it gets quite temperamental)

My biggest problem with PP is that, during this typing I couldn’t stop myself from thinking how much more I enjoy Patchouly by Etro and, if I’m in the mood for patch then I prefer even over that Etro stuff more blended Patchouli scent like; intoxicating Black Aoud, gorgeous Zino and definitely Voleur de Roses.

03 March, 2009

bbBD's avatar

Definitely a blast of patchouli, but far drier and more wearable then, say, Montale's Patchouli Patch, which is very strong. While patchouli takes center-stage, it is softened with enough vanilla and perhaps a touch of fruit underneath to make this version very different than the hippie-oil associated with patchouli. Plus, if you're not sniffing on skin, but wearing it, the patchouli note blends quite well with other notes and isn't overwhelming at all. As with any patchouli based fragrance, you must like this note to even bother trying patchouili, but within this genre it is great.

11th October, 2008

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Well, i have never handled a piece of patchuli nor have been between hippies overusing it. so this is the impression of an alien about the scent. It is a grassy bushy monocrome scent which is appealingly green in first minutes but then grow out to be dull. It is just boring.

09 September, 2008

purplebird7's avatar

How could I not love this fragrance? First of all, I'm a patchouli lover. (I probably will lose all credibility on my reviews for succumbing to the charms of this note every time I encounter it.)Secondly, it has just enough sweetness to take the edge off of that dark, earthy note and soften it. It's still strongly woody with a hint of peach, but more interesting and likeable than plain patchouli. Maybe I need to make a ranking system: Baseline hard, woody - Etro Patchouli. Midrange - L'Artisan Patchouli Patch. Sweet but earthy - Montale Patchouli Leaves. Sweet and fruity - Jalaine Patchouli. Sweet and a miracle of mellow creaminess - Chanel Coromandel. Jump right in and choose one; I love them all.

09 August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Definitely patchouli but way too overboard on the herbal part. This one ends up being too hippie-ish. But oddly the patchouli goes away and leaves you with a dreadful concoction of herbs and a strange sweet note. Now, I like patchouli when done right. It smells much like my old college dorm where people were so loud and obnoxious that I never could get any sleep or study properly. Not a pleasant memory and I don't like the smell.

29 June, 2008

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Yum! I just smell earth. Wonderful, would wear it all the time if it were at all affordable. Fabulously like wet earth, but could be stronger.

07 April, 2008

margi's avatar

England England

I loved pluran's review. I too am a patchouli junkie, and yes I do love it as dirty and hippieish as possible, but I cannot get along with this one. There is too much vanilla in it to be pure, and I feel nauseous when I wear this. I hate to give a thumbs down to any patchouli frag, but here goes!!

18 May, 2007